Ray Bourque has still got it!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Re: Ray Bourque has still got it!!

In Response to Re: Ray Bourque has still got it!!:
    In Response to Re: Ray Bourque has still got it!! : it's alot easier to say goodbye after 4 victory parades. bourke went from being the comsumate professional and team player, to being a guy who just had to have his name on the cup. so he joined an all-star team to do it. woopdi doo. to be completly honest him bringing the cup to boston and parading it around the city rubbed me worse than the actual winning of the cup. it was a pity parade. i can't believe people attended that farse.
    Posted by adkbeesfan

He didn't bring it here to rub it in our faces. He brought it so that we could be happy for him and I was.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

oh i forgot adam oates was the bruins captain for 20 years also right?  i'm sure bourke putting in all those years of toil and sweat with his avalanche teammates makes that cup win soooo much sweeter. oh yeah, he just wanted HIS name on the cup, no matter what, so he joined an all-star team. he didn't earn that cup, but who cares right? as long as ray gets HIS name on the cup.  
    Posted by adkbeesfan

How would you like to go through your entire life working towards a goal only to not be able to get it because you weren't with people that were good enough to help you towards that goal?

Get over yourself man.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

not much left to say, other than i hope the bruins can win a second consecutive game this evening. who you pullin' for red? seriously, i know you've said you're torn. how do you watch a game pulling for both teams? which brings to mind, all those goalies who are fans of goalies... do they hope for a 0-0 shootout game every time? like kelvana, is he really hoping the bruins score on price, or is he hoping he stops them all? i've always wondered. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

not much left to say, other than i hope the bruins can win a second consecutive game this evening. who you pullin' for red? seriously, i know you've said you're torn. how do you watch a game pulling for both teams? which brings to mind, all those goalies who are fans of goalies... do they hope for a 0-0 shootout game every time? like kelvana, is he really hoping the bruins score on price, or is he hoping he stops them all? i've always wondered. 
    Posted by adkbeesfan

I try to pretend these games don't exist. Beyond that, I'm just hoping for a good game, no injuries, and because of the playoff standings right now, a three point game would be nice.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

In Response to Re: Ray Bourque has still got it!! : How would you like to go through your entire life working towards a goal only to not be able to get it because you weren't with people that were good enough to help you towards that goal? Get over yourself man.
    Posted by lambda13
     95% of the people walking this green earth will never reach their dreams... it's called reality. and i'm ok with it. the world would be full of nothing but professional athletes and entertainers all living in the lap of luxury, if everyone "reached their dreams". that's the problem with team sports, it doesn't matter how good you are, you're only as good as your weakest link. being a wrestler my entire life, i alone was in control of my success. it's called the reality of team sports. sorry you have trouble with that reality. ok NOW i'm done with the ray bourke discussion. you're happy he won a cup wearing a colorado jersey, i am not. done

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Ray Bourque has still got it!! : How would you like to go through your entire life working towards a goal only to not be able to get it because you weren't with people that were good enough to help you towards that goal? Get over yourself man.
    Posted by lambda13

That's why winning is so special. It's not something you get from seniority. Saying he didn't get a chance in Boston is a slag against Neely and the rest of the guys that were in the Finals (twice) with Bourque.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from winexpos. Show winexpos's posts

Same group playing in Windsor tonight. Was informed that between the first and second period the players will be signing autographs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

That's why winning is so special. It's not something you get from seniority. Saying he didn't get a chance in Boston is a slag against Neely and the rest of the guys that were in the Finals (twice) with Bourque. Dezaruchi

Wow, for once I agree with Dez. If Bourque put on a performance like TIMMAY did this year, he would have won one or two cups here. He was, after all, our leader. He has to take some responsibility for his inability to win here. In fact, he was a minor player in the cup win in Colorado, the equivelent of say Seids here last season (not to demean Seids, he was awesome but TIMMAY, Krecji, Marchand, Bergy, and Chara were more of a factor).

Thinking back to those days, I always was a bit TO'd that Bourque didn't rush the puck more and be a bit more offensive in the playoffs. They could have used more goals from him IMO.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

just looked it up, there were an estimated 15,000 people at the RAY parade. there were an estimated 1,000,000 at the BRUINS parade. it's about the TEAM, not YOU ray. the people of boston have spoken.  alright.... NOW i'm done.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

C'mon now, let's not complain about Bourque's performance in Boston -- he was great.

But the point is about the timing and logic behind what he did.  You can list all the people you want who left one team and then won a Cup with another.  Totally irrelevant to what Bourque did.

Bourque was the Bruins captain and unquestioned leader, three-quarters of the way through the season, while they fought for a playoff spot.  Then the captain decided he would rather play for a much better team that was loaded with stars so he could win a Cup.  So he left, and the team he had been leading failed to make the playoffs.

Justify it all you want.  Blame it on Jacobs.  But admit that it was a simple decision of individual over team.  Maybe you're okay with that and think he deserved it.  I thought it was sad.  He should have left in the offseason.  He didn't win until the next year anyhow. 

The 'parade' was a joke.  We don't celebrate other team's championships in Boston.  I love the individuals but I root for the team.  Always. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Was Chris Nilan there also ?  He was hanging with the Rat this week.
    Posted by BsLegion

Yes B's, Chris Nilan was there as well as Bob Sweeny.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Same group playing in Windsor tonight. Was informed that between the first and second period the players will be signing autographs.
    Posted by winexpos

Yep, that's exactly what they did last night here in St.Catharines.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Bourque I'm sure can still skate, he always had great wheels. But it looks like he swallowed a small calf recently. What's with the huge weight gain? He needs a Total Gym and a few Chuck Norris personal training seesions! I never liked him since I met him once and he snubbed me like "I'm too important to say hi back", so I guess I'm biased and maybe in the minority. Conversely, Glenn Murray, the Taz, the Kenny "Rat" Linseman, Bob Beers, Tom Fergus, Richie Leduc, John Bucyk, Josef Stumpel, and Kenny Hodge were all great to meet. Guess Bourque thinks he's too good for that. Plus he's a traitor in my book.
    Posted by OrrEspoCash

A traitor! Have you ever quit a job, because you wanted something more! With that kind of attitude I'm not a bit surprised he snubbed you! Probably read the aura about you!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Ray Bourque has still got it!! : A traitor! Have you ever quit a job, because you wanted something more! With that kind of attitude I'm not a bit surprised he snubbed you! Probably read the aura about you!
    Posted by nitemare-38

Yeah, and when I did, I wasn't expecting my old employers to have a parade to celebrate.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

A traitor! Have you ever quit a job, because you wanted something more! With that kind of attitude I'm not a bit surprised he snubbed you! Probably read the aura about you! nitemare-38

He snubbed me, you, and all of Boston when he left in a lurch. You like being snubbed, good on you. I don't.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

If I had been sitting with an extra dish of pasta and some rolls he would have been my best friend apparently, to finish the thought.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

He took the Cup home like every player, and people celebrated with him, like every player does with their day with the Cup. Where should he have taken it? Montreal? Yeah that would have gone over well.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

He took the Cup home like every player, and people celebrated with him, like every player does with their day with the Cup. Where should he have taken it? Montreal? Yeah that would have gone over well.
    Posted by red75

Nah, he tried to hold the 'Cup Parade' and it was silly.  It wasn't all his fault, because a lot of media and Bruins people treated it like a Cup Parade too, but it was more more than the usual practice of taking the Cup home to show it off.  Bringing it to Boston is fine.  Acting like everyone should forgot about their favorite team and celebrate an Avs championship was annoying.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

A traitor! Have you ever quit a job, because you wanted something more! With that kind of attitude I'm not a bit surprised he snubbed you! Probably read the aura about you! nitemare-38 He snubbed me, you, and all of Boston when he left in a lurch. You like being snubbed, good on you. I don't.
    Posted by OrrEspoCash

All I know he didn't snubb a bunch of kids in Denver. He told them he had to leave for a bit & be back. He left & came back & signed whatever the kids had. That's called class. He called me after he won the cup, because I'm a friend of the head trainer. He told Bourque I was cheering for him. I kept calling & leaving Matt voice mails telling him to keep that team healthy to help Ray win it. Took Ray 5 minutes to convince me it was him. I cussed him out a lot, because I thought it was some buddy's being smart alec's! Ray Bourque, Joe Sakic, Teamu Selanne & Jean Belliveau are the 4 hockey players that I met personally that define the word CLASS!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Ray Bourque has still got it!! : Nah, he tried to hold the 'Cup Parade' and it was silly.  It wasn't all his fault, because a lot of media and Bruins people treated it like a Cup Parade too, but it was more more than the usual practice of taking the Cup home to show it off.  Bringing it to Boston is fine.  Acting like everyone should forgot about their favorite team and celebrate an Avs championship was annoying.
    Posted by Fletcher1

Poor attitude dude!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Ray Bourque has still got it!! : Poor attitude dude!
    Posted by nitemare-38

Nite, I'm all for personal experiences and if Ray Bourque was cool to you personally and you love the guy, that's great.  I grew up idolizing him and I still cherish his years in black and gold.  But if you read my prior comments on this thread, I think you'll agree that I don't just have a bad attitude.  I just have an opinion that Bourque went about the final two years of his career the wrong way.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Ray Bourque has still got it!! : Nite, I'm all for personal experiences and if Ray Bourque was cool to you personally and you love the guy, that's great.  I grew up idolizing him and I still cherish his years in black and gold.  But if you read my prior comments on this thread, I think you'll agree that I don't just have a bad attitude.  I just have an opinion that Bourque went about the final two years of his career the wrong way.
    Posted by Fletcher1

I just don't see why you're so against what he did. The guy gave 20+ seasons here! He had an opportunity to go the Wings earlier in his career & didn't go. Stayed in Boston for a lot less money! Remember the NHLPA being all over him for it! The guy deserved to win what every player in the league wants. Bourque already proved he wasn't about the money! The only thing he was missing was a championship. The organization he worked for wasn't offering that possibility. He knew he was close to being done. Out of his whole career the guy put himself over the team ONCE & you wanna chastise the guy? He brought the cup to what he feels is his home! He didn't do it to rub our noses in it! He did it to show his appreciation & to thank us fans who supported him! For anyone to get their nose out of joint over it is being petty imo.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TurkS16. Show TurkS16's posts

In Response to Re: Ray Bourque has still got it!! : I just don't see why you're so against what he did. The guy gave 20+ seasons here! He had an opportunity to go the Wings earlier in his career & didn't go. Stayed in Boston for a lot less money! Remember the NHLPA being all over him for it! The guy deserved to win what every player in the league wants. Bourque already proved he wasn't about the money! The only thing he was missing was a championship. The organization he worked for wasn't offering that possibility. He knew he was close to being done. Out of his whole career the guy put himself over the team ONCE & you wanna chastise the guy? He brought the cup to what he feels is his home! He didn't do it to rub our noses in it! He did it to show his appreciation & to thank us fans who supported him! For anyone to get their nose out of joint over it is being petty imo.
    Posted by nitemare-38

Nite, you just hit the nail straight on the head. Great post! Ray was also very kind to my 2 sons when they were small, signed jerseys, gave the older one an autographed stick and posed with them for a bunch of pictures.....a real class act. Signed for everyone asking in the Long Island hotel where Bs stay.Jersey & stick hang above my bar in the man cave!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from -sabot-13. Show -sabot-13's posts

I was at that "Cup Parade" at Goverment Center.  Ray Bourque is a class act, more so than any Bruin since.  He gave the Bruins EVERYTHING for 20+ years.  Harry Sindon and Jeremy Jacobs were the Traitors.  Bruins had one of the lowest payrolls in the league when there was NO salary cap.  Those 2 clowns just filled the seats and did not care about winning.

Anyone who says he was a traitor is either a closet Habs fan or was born after 1994.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

The Bruin teams that Bourque was on were in tough against the Islander and Oiler dynasty's.

Sections
Shortcuts