Ray Shero: Art of the Deal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Ray Shero: Art of the Deal

Not sure if this had been posted out here before in the flurry of Iginla threads, so apologies if it is redundant.  Thought this was an interesting view into the timeline from the Pens side of things.  If it was communicated to PC around noon that the deal was done, the below timeline is pretty tough to swallow and makes Feaster look pretty smarmy.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sectionfront/sports/penguins-land-seasoned-iginla-681355/

Negotiations that eventually led to the trade began in earnest about 10 days ago, although it wasn't until earlier this week that Mr. Shero began to believe the Penguins had a real chance to land Mr. Iginla.

"I texted [Mr. Feaster] after our game on Tuesday and said, 'These are the guys I'm proposing,' " Mr. Shero said. "He called me Wednesday morning and said, 'I need to talk to our group, our ownership. We need to go through these things and the offers we have, and I'll get back to you.'

"He called in the afternoon, at about 3 or 3:30, and proposed something, so we started working off of that. Still, it was obviously not a deal or anything. We were still going through things, and he was working with other teams."

Before Mr. Feaster and Mr. Shero finally settled, there were some wild swings in the Penguins' perception of where things stood.

"At 5 o'clock, it's, 'I don't think we're having a deal,' " Mr. Shero said. "At 8 o'clock, 'Well, maybe it's back on.' At 9 o'clock, 'I don't think we're getting a deal.' "

Eventually, though, one was made after some late-night give-and-take about precisely who would be included in the Penguins package.

Two solid prospects and a first-round draft choice were bound for Calgary, and the third major acquisition of the week was headed to the Penguins.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Ray Shero: Art of the Deal

Thanks for this. Nice read.

Love em or hate em, Shero got it done to improve his team...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Not sure if this had been posted out here before in the flurry of Iginla threads, so apologies if it is redundant.  Thought this was an interesting view into the timeline from the Pens side of things.  If it was communicated to PC around noon that the deal was done, the below timeline is pretty tough to swallow and makes Feaster look pretty smarmy.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sectionfront/sports/penguins-land-seasoned-iginla-681355/

Negotiations that eventually led to the trade began in earnest about 10 days ago, although it wasn't until earlier this week that Mr. Shero began to believe the Penguins had a real chance to land Mr. Iginla.

"I texted [Mr. Feaster] after our game on Tuesday and said, 'These are the guys I'm proposing,' " Mr. Shero said. "He called me Wednesday morning and said, 'I need to talk to our group, our ownership. We need to go through these things and the offers we have, and I'll get back to you.'

"He called in the afternoon, at about 3 or 3:30, and proposed something, so we started working off of that. Still, it was obviously not a deal or anything. We were still going through things, and he was working with other teams."

Before Mr. Feaster and Mr. Shero finally settled, there were some wild swings in the Penguins' perception of where things stood.

"At 5 o'clock, it's, 'I don't think we're having a deal,' " Mr. Shero said. "At 8 o'clock, 'Well, maybe it's back on.' At 9 o'clock, 'I don't think we're getting a deal.' "

Eventually, though, one was made after some late-night give-and-take about precisely who would be included in the Penguins package.

Two solid prospects and a first-round draft choice were bound for Calgary, and the third major acquisition of the week was headed to the Penguins.

Good article, Crowls.  Appears Feaster got jammed up by the significant factor of Iginla being able to have final call between the sides.  I've no doubt he told PC it was a done deal but got overturned by Iginla's contractural option.  Feaster better hope both prospects he got in return are able to suit up for the Flames some day. 

From Steve Simmons - Toronto Sun - Friday, March 29, 2013

"The prospects he got were even less interesting. When the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette listed the top 10 prospects on the Penguins back in December, neither Kenneth Agostino nor Ben Hanowski were on the list. 

On other hockey websites that rank prospects from the Penguins, the names of Agostino and Hanowski were either off the list completely or mentioned way down as NHL prospects. 

Translation: It’s entirely possible that no one from this deal will ever play meaningful hockey for the Flames."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

"two solid prospects"

we'll see.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

"two solid prospects"

we'll see.

Exactly, BH. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

SHERO ...GM OF THE YEAR

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

Good article, Crowls.  Appears Feaster got jammed up by the significant factor of Iginla being able to have final call between the sides.  I've no doubt he told PC it was a done deal but got overturned by Iginla's contractural option.  Feaster better hope both prospects he got in return are able to suit up for the Flames some day. 

From Steve Simmons - Toronto Sun - Friday, March 29, 2013

"The prospects he got were even less interesting. When the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette listed the top 10 prospects on the Penguins back in December, neither Kenneth Agostino nor Ben Hanowski were on the list. 

On other hockey websites that rank prospects from the Penguins, the names of Agostino and Hanowski were either off the list completely or mentioned way down as NHL prospects. 

Translation: It’s entirely possible that no one from this deal will ever play meaningful hockey for the Flames."

Good addition RHO, the Flames new "prospects" do not seem anywhere near as heralded as Khokhlachev or even Bartkowski.

I am still struck by the timeline, where at noon PC thinks he has a done deal, but cannot get permission to speak with the player or his representation.  He later gets radio silence from the Flames who do not have the professionlism to even answer his calls.  Bad form by Feaster, seems like he knew it was falling apart, could have shared that with PC.  At least PC could have avoided scratching Khokhlachev and Bartkowski.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

The difference in where Iginla landed had much more to do with crosby and malkin than shero. if PC was GM of Pitt guess where Iginla gets traded? Yep, he becomes a Penguin.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Good addition RHO, the Flames new "prospects" do not seem anywhere near as heralded as Khokhlachev or even Bartkowski.

I am still struck by the timeline, where at noon PC thinks he has a done deal, but cannot get permission to speak with the player or his representation.  He later gets radio silence from the Flames who do not have the professionlism to even answer his calls.  Bad form by Feaster, seems like he knew it was falling apart, could have shared that with PC.  At least PC could have avoided scratching Khokhlachev and Bartkowski.

Iginla was contracturally able to steer the ship, Crowls and he made use of it but yeah, it would appear this ability caused some hot potato moments for Feaster in the middle of it all.  His aim to rebuild the team might still be challenging when you consider the valuable Giordano, Glencross and Bouwmeester all have NMCs according to the Calgary Sun.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Because of the circumstances of Shero choosing Pittsburgh over Boston back in 2006 - pulling an Iginla of his own - there will always be people who give Fred's boy a tongue bath as a way of implying the Bruins have a second-class GM and cheap or meddlesome owners.  Meanwhile, the Pens are dreeeeeaaaamy.  I actually think you can make a pretty interesting case that Shero's teams have under-achieved.

Shero inherited a pretty fair hand even though the team had a lousy record.  Crosby, Malkin, Fleury and Letang were in hand along with the #2 overall pick that became Jordan Staal (Coulda had Toews, but that's nitpicky).  But they also had key pieces of the Cup team like Orpik and Scuderi, a guy who looked more like a star then in Whitney, then a bunch of guys who've had pretty solid careers like Malone, Kennedy, Goligoski, and...Matt Moulson, though he let Moulson go to the Kings' organization rather than sign him.  That's a pretty strong base, isn't it?

It came together pretty quickly because that base was there from the previous regime.  Playoffs and a first round exit in 06-07, then a Finals loss to the Wings in 07-08.  The finals loss was the first time he went big to get a front line player when he grabbed Hossa.  The Cup season was boosted by some of the guys he acquired the year before like Gill, and then the acquisition of Kunitz and Guerin.  But let's be clear - Malkin had 36 points that playoff.  Crosby had 31.  And Fleury had his best playoff performance ever.  Since then, it's been round 2 exit, round 1 exit, round 1 exit.

Shero's made some decent deals acquiring Kunitz and Neal, and he's the beneficiary of the Iginla decision, which isn't exactly the art of the deal on his part.  The Hossa deal didn't work for him or for Detroit the next year, and the moves he made with picks are reflected in his lousy draft record.  He's the sucker who finally picked Angleo Exposito in 2007 when everyone else was off that wagon, and Esposito has proven one of only 5 first rounders that year not to play in the NHL.  Moulson's one who slipped through his grasp.

Considering what he started out with, and that the Cup win was the result of that base more than anything he did, you'd expect a guy who gets such a golden rep to have actually, I don't know, done more to build the team and support two of the five best players in the world.  We'll see how he guides them through the next few years when he'll have some difficult decisons to make.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

I thought Feaster said on TSN that after he told PC they had a deal(around noon), he approached Iginla to approve the deal, Feaster gave him some time to absorb everything and then Iginla stated he wanted to play for the Pens.

I thought I heard Feaster say that they then they needed to go to Pittsburgh to start working out a deal.  May have been a slip on his part, and it wouldn't be the first one.

This falls into the 3, 3:30PM timeframe that Shero said got the ball rolling.

If Crosby got into Iginla's head by calling/texting him then it was probably between noon and 3:00PM, forcing Feaster's hand.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

Sydney Crosby GM of the Year... 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Because of the circumstances of Shero...

Very interesting look at it, Book.

Sections
Shortcuts