Raycroft To Be Waived

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Raycroft To Be Waived

ESPN reports the Stars are going to waive him to make room when they re-activate Lehtonen.

Wouldn't shock me to see the Lightning take a flyer on him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Raycroft To Be Waived

In Response to Raycroft To Be Waived:
    ESPN reports the Stars are going to waive him to make room when they re-activate Lehtonen. Wouldn't shock me to see the Lightning take a flyer on him.
    Posted by kelvana33

Which Flyer would they take?   A 3 way deal?

Anyways, I liked Raycroft until he left Boston in a huff making some pretty disparaging remarks.  I remember Fluto or KPD saying that he left all his sticks in Wilmington and wouldn't get them picked up saying something also disparaging.

His remarks as I recall were directed against the fans, saying something like "at least they understand hockey in Toronto, not like Boston" or something like that.

How did Toronto work out for you Raycroft?

Punk.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Raycroft To Be Waived:
    ESPN reports the Stars are going to waive him to make room when they re-activate Lehtonen. Wouldn't shock me to see the Lightning take a flyer on him.
    Posted by kelvana33

I think Raycroft will only be brought in if there's an injury. He'll be playing minor league for a bit. He's looked beyond brutal this yr.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

He got hot for a while there, nite.  And Roloson and Garon are the sole reason the Lightning are in the bottom three in the conference.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Raycroft To Be Waived:
    In Response to Raycroft To Be Waived : I think Raycroft will only be brought in if there's an injury. He'll be playing minor league for a bit. He's looked beyond brutal this yr.
    Posted by nitemare-38

Yeah, Raycroft is presently being outplayed by Stephen King's pen name.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

In Response to Raycroft To Be Waived : Which Flyer would they take?   A 3 way deal? Anyways, I liked Raycroft until he left Boston in a huff making some pretty disparaging remarks.  I remember Fluto or KPD saying that he left all his sticks in Wilmington and wouldn't get them picked up saying something also disparaging. His remarks as I recall were directed against the fans, saying something like "at least they understand hockey in Toronto, not like Boston" or something like that. How did Toronto work out for you Raycroft? Punk.
    Posted by BadHabitude

Maybe he hated a sighn i made in 2006 I held it on the glass during warmups of a game vs the stars the sighn said " O'conell its time to throw away the rusty razor in the trash" Thomas played awsome that day despite the shootout loss. Anyway there no hate towards him since he got us tuukka. So thanks Raycroft!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Another in a long line of startlingly shrewd moves this organization has made in the past 5 years.  He brought us Rask and now he's in the trash heap.  It's no wonder that Toronto fans hate the Bruins, save for our good friend LRH...robbery...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Raycroft To Be Waived : I think Raycroft will only be brought in if there's an injury. He'll be playing minor league for a bit. He's looked beyond brutal this yr. Posted by nitemare-38

He has been brutal but the clock is ticking for Yzerman nite so I don't know if he can take a flier on Razor right now. Raycroft might be an upgrade to those 2 floppers and to say that is not good  for Tampa.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

The B's have had a long line of horrible goaltending, ever since Andy Moog & reggie lemelin left the team. Someone posted a post of all the past goalies since them that was pretty thorough. Alot I can name off the top of my head, but the person posted some that even I forgot about until I saw their names. Crazy to think how many goalies come and go in this league. By far the toughest position to play and stick in the league.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

Never liked this kid from the start. He always came across as smug in interviews. While playing for the B's I remember him making a disparaging remark about Thanksgiving and how the day meant nothing to him as he was Canadian. Something to the effect that he was going to go to McDonalds and get a Big Mac. Not the worst thing he could have said but not the most endearing either. I also remember other players saying that he was a good guy and a good teammate. I wonder if that was the truth or someone just trying to say the right thing.
    Then Goalie equipment was reduced in size and Raycroft's game went south along with it. Exposed as the mediocre goalie that he really is.
    I'm sure he will continue to bounce around from team to team as he is just good enough to stick around in the NHL.
    He could change his name to Mathieu Garon, Alex Auld or Peter Budaj and it wouldn't matter. They are all the same.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

This thread also has me thinking about other B's that came across as unlikable. I know this will be unpopular but there has always been something about Marc Savard that I dont like. I'll never forget a game about 3 years ago, near the end of the season, where the B's got wiped out by the Leafs at home. After the game NESN cut to the hallway shot where the B's file back into the dressing room. Savard walks around the corner and lets out the biggest yawn you will ever see. They just got blown out and this guy is yawning. Horrible.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I can't hold someone yawning against them. It is in no way an accurate reflection of them as a player or a team mate. People yawn, it happens. Or maybe he was tired from having played a tough game and he needed sleep? Never know if there is an underlying reason for why it happened. It doesn't necessarily mean he was distinterested, a yawn is a lack of oxygen. Oh well. I feel for the guy and hope he recovers so that he can live a normal life.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Maybe the Coyotes take a look since Smith is out. Raycroft was what I call a "clutch and grab goalie" his weaknesses were somewhat hidden due to that era. He still falls behind Giguere who might be the most overrated goalie I've ever seen.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Not so sure about Giguere being overrated

2003 regular season
    GP W     L    MIN SO GAA  SV%
    65 34     22  3775  8 2.30 .920
    2003 Playoffs
    21 15     6   1407  5 1.62 .945
    Career post season
    52 33    17  3167  6 2.08 .925

Aside a multitude of injuries for Jean-Sebastien I'd say allot of NHL goalies past n present would love to have those numbers. Can't have those stats on hype...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Don't have much to say about him but I enjoyed reading NotACryingWinos posts replying to Raycrofts uncle (or relative)  insulting, bashing Thomas .
    We all know who got the last laugh.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccoul. Show ccoul's posts

Raycroft.
    Another example that Hockey is 50% talent 100% hart.. Juss Saying.
    Lots of talent therebut a crappy attitude and no respect for the game

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Raycroft. Another example that Hockey is 50% talent 100% hart.. Juss Saying. Lots of talent therebut a crappy attitude and no respect for the game
    Posted by ccoul

he did seem to have an attitude and maybe a bit weak mentally. He basically sat around during the lock out and played very little. Then he held out during preseason for a new contract and soon was nursing injuries, surprise, surprise. Gorton was the interim GM at the time must have felt like he had hit the lottery when Toronto bit on that line.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Raycroft was actually great...for one year.  But the more nuanced flaws in his game were kind of apparent and got exposed rather quickly.  That's what I find remarkable about the Rask deal -- I never heard of those kind of flaws in Rask's game, but somehow Toronto was willing to make the swap.  It seemed like a lopsided deal at the time -- not just hindsight here -- and it has only become moreso.

As for Savard, he had a lot of character traits that weren't very likable and I always thought he was not very popular outside of the rink.  I think he annoyed his teammates, the refs, and his coaches at times.  However, his compete level never seemed to be one of those flaws to me.  I thought he really helped pull the Bruins outside of the Dave Lewis era doldrums and led them to be a more competitive, aggressive team.  Marc Savard helped lead the Bruins in their turnaround which seemed to have as much to do with culture and compete level as it did talent.  I saw Savard as part of the departure from mediocrity.  Like him or not, give him some credit.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I forgot about another incident, a friend of mine, sth, met Raycroft in a bar right after that state of the union meeting or town hall meeting or whatever it was.  He bought a beer for him and mentioned that he heard a rumor that the Bruins would be getting Belfour or somebody, Rask emptied his beer and said "i hope not" and left.  In other words, he didn't want to lose any playing time.  And there was not even a 'thank you' for the beer.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I forgot about another incident, a friend of mine, sth, met Raycroft in a bar right after that state of the union meeting or town hall meeting or whatever it was.  He bought a beer for him and mentioned that he heard a rumor that the Bruins would be getting Belfour or somebody, Rask emptied his beer and said "i hope not" and left.  In other words, he didn't want to lose any playing time.  And there was not even a 'thank you' for the beer.
    Posted by BadHabitude

Interesting, but a lot of names in there -- are you mixing a Rask with a Raycroft?  I think I got ya though.  Raycroft was...self interested...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

http://www.goaliesarchive.com/bruins/index.html

Check that out, bgrif.  It's telling that one third of the names on that list of goalies from 1924 to present played for the Bruins between 1990 and 2009.

34 of the 99 goalies in Bruins history played in the 19 years between the final years of the Moog/Lemelin era and the beginning of the Thomas/Rask.  That's 34% of the goalies in only 22% of the time the Bruins have been around.  The Bruins have averaged 1.14 goalies per year in their total history but had 1.79 goalies per year for those 19 years - that's a 63% increase in goaltender turnover - not a good sign, and that's not even comparing it to a period of prolonged stability like the last three seasons where they've had only 0.66 goaltenders/year (same two guys over the last three seasons).

Aw, heck...just because it amuses me - Bruins goaltenders between 1990-91 and 2009-10 (guys who shouldn't induce a cringe in italics - though Potvin may be pushing it - and low-lights in bold):

Alex Auld, Scott Bailey, Mike Bales, Daniel Berthiaume, Craig Billington, John Blue, Jim Carey, Jon Casey, Tim Chevaldae, Byron Dafoe, Matt DelGuidice, Manny Fernandez, Brian Finley, John Grahame, Jeff Hackett, Blaine Lacher, Rejean Lemelin, Joey MacDonald, Andy Moog, Felix Potvin, Bill Ranford, Andrew Raycroft, Tuukka Rask, Vincent Riendeau, Philip Sauve, Paxton Schaefer, Steve Shields, Jordan Sigalet, Petr Skudra, Rob Tallas, Tim Thomas, Hannu Toivonen, Kay Whitmore.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

http://www.goaliesarchive.com/bruins/index.html Check that out, bgrif.  It's telling that one third of the names on that list of goalies from 1924 to present played for the Bruins between 1990 and 2009. 34 of the 99 goalies in Bruins history played in the 19 years between the final years of the Moog/Lemelin era and the beginning of the Thomas/Rask.  That's 34% of the goalies in only 22% of the time the Bruins have been around.  The Bruins have averaged 1.14 goalies per year in their total history but had 1.79 goalies per year for those 19 years - that's a 63% increase in goaltender turnover - not a good sign, and that's not even comparing it to a period of prolonged stability like the last three seasons where they've had only 0.66 goaltenders/year (same two guys over the last three seasons). Aw, heck...just because it amuses me - Bruins goaltenders between 1990-91 and 2009-10 (guys who shouldn't induce a cringe in italics - though Potvin may be pushing it - and low-lights in bold): Alex Auld, Scott Bailey, Mike Bales, Daniel Berthiaume, Craig Billington, John Blue, Jim Carey , Jon Casey , Tim Chevaldae, Byron Dafoe , Matt DelGuidice, Manny Fernandez, Brian Finley, John Grahame, Jeff Hackett, Blaine Lacher , Rejean Lemelin , Joey MacDonald, Andy Moog , Felix Potvin , Bill Ranford , Andrew Raycroft, Tuukka Rask , Vincent Riendeau, Philip Sauve, Paxton Schaefer, Steve Shields , Jordan Sigalet, Petr Skudra , Rob Tallas, Tim Thomas , Hannu Toivonen , Kay Whitmore.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Bill Ranford still klls me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

As for Raycroft - I've always had the impression that he, Boynton and Thornton were there own little OHL too-cool club - they all had this air of entitlement that comes with being the biggest thing in a small, hockey-mad Ontario town that treats its Junior team like an NHL franchise (Boynton played in Ottawa rather than the Soo or Sudbury, but played at a key time and won a Memorial Cup - along with Brian Campbell, Zenon Konopka, and Bruin draft dud pick Matt Zultek...beating out Roberto Luongo's Titan as Luongo was the worst goalie in the tournament).  Not all kids who star for small-town Ontario teams develop that attitude, but those three seemed to have it in spades. 

All three had a history of acting like they deserved more than they were getting.  Boynton wouldn't sign with Washington and went back into the draft after two years to prove his point.  Raycroft held out after the lockout - and who is dumb enough to watch guys losing jobs because there's now a cap and take that as a sign that he should hold out for big bucks?  The Bruins consistently broke the bank for Thornton and he always seemed to act like he had to hold his nose to sign the deals.  The only one to have any success after leaving Boston is JT, and we're all well aware of what that success has looked like (this year, he's on a 72 point pace; Seguin and Marchand have as many or more points than he does, and Bergeron has one fewer).  They had to get these three "leaders" out of the locker room.

KPD tweet says "Razor is a good guy"...but that doesn't seem to reflect most of what I remember from his days in Boston.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Who knows what Dupont's idea of a "good guy" is.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Talk about a career that has gone from the penthouse to the outhouse in a relatively short time.  I still have clear memories of Toronto media claiming the Leafs under former GM John Feguson, Jr.'s direction, had "pulled a fast one." 

It's not like he wasn't without some measure of success post-Bruins as I think he tied the Leafs' club record for most regular season wins by a goalie.  Mind you, the Leafs didn't make the playoffs that year.  For the most part it was downhill after Boston. 

Question.  Was he a beneficiary of those who played in front of him as a Bruin? Did shooters eventually figure him out?  Was he just a one year wonder?

Sections
Shortcuts