re-sign ryder

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Re: re-sign ryder

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. NOT A CHANCE. FOOLS GOLD...BEWARE!
    He is only giving some of what he should have been doing all along. At this point he has stolen $$$ from the B's. Any production we get from him is getting back a little bit on a bad contract. Cut your losses and take a chance with one of our kids or a big FA.
    Doc

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tremha. Show tremha's posts

In Response to Re: re-sign ryder:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: re-sign ryder : From a non-reactionary poster (go ahead, check my history) I say yes, resign Ryder at 2.5/2 years, but not a penny more. He is streaky but name me a plyer on this team that is NOT. (queue the crickets) Let me guess, were you one of those whining for Seguin to be in the lineup last night? Seguin will be a star someday but to dump him into the caldren called Bruins/Scabs playoff hockey is  WRONG when you have Veterans  that have a) years of playoff experience and b) better numbers than Seguin Playoffs are not for "learning" and until Seguin learns to bring it every night like Marchand does then as a rookie he will be getting splinters. 
    Posted by bridgemanusa[/QUOTE]

You are a FOOL.  He should NOT be resigned.  Lazy, selfish, ! way players are not constructive to a championship team.  

Been there, tried that, move on

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

No, I don't think his all-around game was all that outstanding.  Sometimes it is quite good, but last night I didn't notice it.  Of course, he only had 12 minutes of ice time and was on for 3 goals, so there wasn't a lot of time for much else.  I did notice he looked mentally engaged right off the bat - going to open spaces, making smarter decisions.  He was definately in the zone as a goal scorer.  He was doing what he does well.  He takes a lot of heat because people feel he should do that every game, but if he did he would be Ovechkin and command Ovechkin money.  He's up and down, like most scorers.  As far as re-signing Ryder, I think anyone who delivers in the playoffs is worth their money no matter how much they make and no matter how bad they are during the season.  For three years now Ryder has been good in the playoffs.  I think his carefree attitude may mean weak stretches in the regular season but also means he handles the pressure of the playoffs well.  He'll need to show more than one good game this year, however, to justify a new contract here.  Let's see a few more big games out of him!

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: re-sign ryder : Yes, I understand what 40 yrs is saying.  I am trying to ask a tangential question which I did not think was worthy of another post.  The question is not just for 40 or any particular type of fan (negative, positive, reactionary).  I just want to know if people saw a different game out of Ryder last night then in the first three games of the series.  From my point of view, the biggest difference in this lines play has been the addition of Chris Kelly in the offensive zone.  It seemed in the first couple games and really since the trade, when he was on the ice the Bruins weer playing with 3-dmen and 2 wings.  I don't find that to be effective, even for a third line.  I have not noticed much change in Ryder, he cycled last night, but he's never been afraid to do that.  He finished last night, twice, and that is the only difference I truly noticed.
    Posted by RickyHussle[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

stop

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbbfan40. Show bbbfan40's posts

[QUOTE]No, I don't think his all-around game was all that outstanding.  Sometimes it is quite good, but last night I didn't notice it.  Of course, he only had 12 minutes of ice time and was on for 3 goals, so there wasn't a lot of time for much else.  I did notice he looked mentally engaged right off the bat - going to open spaces, making smarter decisions.  He was definately in the zone as a goal scorer.  He was doing what he does well.  He takes a lot of heat because people feel he should do that every game, but if he did he would be Ovechkin and command Ovechkin money.  He's up and down, like most scorers.  As far as re-signing Ryder, I think anyone who delivers in the playoffs is worth their money no matter how much they make and no matter how bad they are during the season.  For three years now Ryder has been good in the playoffs.  I think his carefree attitude may mean weak stretches in the regular season but also means he handles the pressure of the playoffs well.  He'll need to show more than one good game this year, however, to justify a new contract here.  Let's see a few more big games out of him! In Response to Re: re-sign ryder :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Martin LaPointe

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Maybe the Habs re-sign him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

I wouldn't want him back at any more than 2 mill/year.Nice to see him come through .Like everyone I certainly get frustrated with Ryder's play throughout the year but games like thursday go a long way towards making me want to keep him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Do not go there. He has not earned a new contract. Just watch the next few games and see if the capable Ryder reappears. He has always had the skills, but is too lazy or hung over to produce them. Free up $4 mil and sign a full time player. It is also, as someone mentioned, time for our other $4 mil players Horton and Lucic to begin to play. Lucic more than Horton because he is a catalyst on that line and opens space, when he plays. If he is hurt, then Claude should sit him out and go with Caron.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

On the one hand, Ryder disappears for games, seems lazy, doesn't always finish and can be maddening to watch.

On the other, he's good for 15-20 goals a season, is more productive than 60% of other 3rd line wingers in the league, steps up in the playoffs, is calm under pressure, by all accounts the prototypical Newfie nice guy that his teammates like and, most importantly, never makes costly mistakes or has defensive meltdowns.

Honestly - I can't recall him ever giving up a terrible turnover or losing his coverage defensively...while even guys like Bergeron, Krejci, Savard and Lucic had some pretty awful game-losing mistakes this year.

Some will point to this as making excuses, but we can't underestimate how important a strong centerman is to a winger's game. Name me one 3rd or even 2nd line winger that plays a dominant game without having someone equally talented at center dictating the flow and distributing the puck. Ryder has had nobody at center all season. It's only been two games, but moving Peverly to center that line has made a HUGE difference, everone agree? Now imagine how Ryder's year would have looked if Savard had been in there and the 3rd line was anchored by Krejci. Or, if Julien opened his eyes and had Campbell center that 3rd line all year instead of the rotating door of mediocrity.

I don't know what the $$ would be, and it's tough to tell with all the moving pieces what the best use of cap space will be this summer. Savard, Kaberle, Marchand, Recchi, Ryder, rookies and league-wide free agents all need to get worked in and we don't know what figure they have to work with.

I will say if they can make Ryder's contract work 1-2 years at a tick under $2 each season, it would be market value. Can they get better for that type of money? Likely not. The devil you know...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

[QUOTE]No, I don't think his all-around game was all that outstanding.  Sometimes it is quite good, but last night I didn't notice it.  Of course, he only had 12 minutes of ice time and was on for 3 goals, so there wasn't a lot of time for much else.  I did notice he looked mentally engaged right off the bat - going to open spaces, making smarter decisions.  He was definately in the zone as a goal scorer.  He was doing what he does well.  He takes a lot of heat because people feel he should do that every game, but if he did he would be Ovechkin and command Ovechkin money.  He's up and down, like most scorers.  As far as re-signing Ryder, I think anyone who delivers in the playoffs is worth their money no matter how much they make and no matter how bad they are during the season.  For three years now Ryder has been good in the playoffs.  I think his carefree attitude may mean weak stretches in the regular season but also means he handles the pressure of the playoffs well.  He'll need to show more than one good game this year, however, to justify a new contract here.  Let's see a few more big games out of him! In Response to Re: re-sign ryder :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

I agree with your points for the most part.  I think you touched on the fact that he needs to repeat this type of engaged performance a few times in order to consider bringing him back.  I think for this years playoff run his whole line has to build off of this game and continue to be an offensive threat while playing sounf in all three zones.  I really think Kelly is the engine that makes that motor run optimally based on the last couple of games.  I feel like Ryder and Peverley need him dishing to be in better position to score, rather then skating through two guys to get off a weak shot.  It is also best if Kelly can crash the net after dishing, or when he senses the cycling has started.  If this line continues to play at the level of the last couple games then the Bruins are a much greater threat as a whole. 

Also NAS, if you are reading this.  If Kelly plays the type of role he has played the last two games, in two more winning efforts, then the 2nd rounder is justified.  Do you think his game has been more complete over the last 2 games or do you think I am just imagining that because they scored points on that line?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Devanjan. Show Devanjan's posts

The guy did NOT have a good game on Thursday - despite the fact that he scored 2 goals. He didn't win any wall battles, he slyd around the ice, held onto the puck far too long and took himself and other player out of position, didn't make any good passes, didn't back check. But then he didn't do any of that in the regular season. The guy has skill and he has talent, but he won't use them. He is a perimeter player. Get Seguin in there, or possibly Caron or Arniel from Providence. 

But this opinion has been stated ad nauseum, by me, previously. I was glad the Bruins won but not with the player who scored the winner. Some other deserving player was severely cheated of that pleasure.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Wow, this thread is about as bad as anything Tiny Cocktus has started.

Re-sign Ryder?  The guy has had no more than 10 good games in the past three years.  We're so used to him (and many of them) being terrible that an OT goal is the reason to bring him back!

No freakin' way.  Nooooo Freeeeeeeakin' Waaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

Lots of laughing going on here--- So when he disapears for the next 3 games what are all you fools going say then? 

How about waiting till the season is over and making a decision then--- not on because he had 1 good game.  Reacting one 1 good game is just foolish!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

We all agree salary is a major part of the Ryder issue, but if he were paid more along the lines of 1.5-2 mil for next year alone, name me another available 3rd line winger in the league you'd rather have at that salary and why.

Rookies can and will step up, but with Thornton, Paille, Kelly and TBA currently as your bottom 4 wingers, someone has to put the puck in the net next year. Do you really want to take Ryder's 15-20 out and insert 8-10 in a Caron or Arniel? Who knows if those guys can play a solid defensive game, too.

Marchand and Recchi aren't on the payroll for next year. We don't know what to expect from Savard and Seguin. Put together, there are already too many question marks in the top 6 and ample opportunities for younger guys to crack the lineup. I'd bank Ryder's 15-20 goals, experience and responsible defensive game and move on to bigger issues. We need to stop expecting this guy to be a top 4 winger and be happy with the fact he's a perfectly fine bottom 4 guy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fcukhabs. Show fcukhabs's posts

no time for caron, suave to shine

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

The way i see it is that he is still earning his contract right now. 4 Million for what he did in the regular season was a robbery by ryder.

Unless he takes us to the conference finals, pc is not bringing him back.

Even if he did, it would be for a 1 year deal and i doubt greedy ryder blinks at that

Give guys like spooner and knight a chance using his spot next year

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]The way i see it is that he is still earning his contract right now. 4 Million for what he did in the regular season was a robbery by ryder. Unless he takes us to the conference finals, pc is not bringing him back. Even if he did, it would be for a 1 year deal and i doubt greedy ryder blinks at that Give guys like spooner and knight a chance using his spot next year
    Posted by yaz16[/QUOTE]

What has pointed to Ryder being greedy?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

[QUOTE]The guy did NOT have a good game on Thursday - despite the fact that he scored 2 goals. He didn't win any wall battles, he slyd around the ice, held onto the puck far too long and took himself and other player out of position, didn't make any good passes, didn't back check. But then he didn't do any of that in the regular season. The guy has skill and he has talent, but he won't use them. He is a perimeter player. Get Seguin in there, or possibly Caron or Arniel from Providence.  But this opinion has been stated ad nauseum, by me, previously. I was glad the Bruins won but not with the player who scored the winner. Some other deserving player was severely cheated of that pleasure.
    Posted by Devanjan[/QUOTE]

I am opposed to putting Seguin or Caron in.  Seguin because of what I have seen and Caron because I have read he played poorly in Providence after the deomtion.  For Caron, it is not much to go on.  For Seguin, what I saw at the end of the season was alot of defensive mistakes.  While Ryder is largely unnoticeable in the defensive end, with 3 hits and 2 Blocked shots in the playoffs, I also notice he hasn't made many boneheaded plays in the D zone.  I felt Seuin regressed considerably in this area towards the end of the season.  After the original benching I felt he played two or three good games mostly with the 4th line.  He then regressed to defensively to the point where he was making 2-3 awful plays in the D-zone between errant passes, or standing still while a man 5 feet away wound up.  I don't think Seguin was bad for lack of effort it just appeared to me he was losing confidence particularly in our D-Zone.  So even after the two goals I believe Seguin brings a little more offensively but the defensive uncertainty really is a deal breaker for me.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

[QUOTE]We all agree salary is a major part of the Ryder issue, but if he were paid more along the lines of 1.5-2 mil for next year alone, name me another available 3rd line winger in the league you'd rather have at that salary and why.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

Best reason to re-sign Ryder. Also, very little room for Ryder to negotiate that price up.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: re-sign ryder:[QUOTE]Give guys like spooner and knight a chance using his spot next year Posted by yaz16[/QUOTE]

Not a chance that Julien will allow PC to give him Spooner, Knight, Sauve and Seguin to fill the two forward spots that Rechi n Ryder vacate.

Legion, Betcha Burke would bring Glyder in for two years please make it so Brian Please take him so PC doesn't have time to think about it!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: re-sign ryder : Not a chance that Julien will allow PC to give him Spooner, Knight, Sauve and Seguin to fill the two forward spots that Rechi n Ryder vacate. Legion, Betcha Burke would bring Glyder in for two years please make it so Brian Please take him so PC doesn't have time to think about it!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Subtract Savard, Recchi and Ryder money and you have $9M to fill those two slots.  One can be a rook.  The other?   Make a draft day trade and get a stud.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: re-sign ryder : Subtract Savard, Recchi and Ryder money and you have $9M to fill those two slots.  One can be a rook.  The other?   Make a draft day trade and get a stud.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

$9mil seems like plenty....but then you likely subtract Kaberle and Marchand's salaries from that number and get, what, $3 mil left to play with?

$3 mil to replace Savard, Ryder and Recchi. Don't like those numbers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: re-sign ryder : $9mil seems like plenty....but then you likely subtract Kaberle and Marchand's salaries from that number and get, what, $3 mil left to play with? $3 mil to replace Savard, Ryder and Recchi. Don't like those numbers.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

Good lord, how much are you paying Marchand?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Honestly? My bet is Kaberle @ 3.75 x 3 years. Marchand @ 2.25 @ 4 years.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

[QUOTE]The guy did NOT have a good game on Thursday - despite the fact that he scored 2 goals. He didn't win any wall battles, he slyd around the ice, held onto the puck far too long and took himself and other player out of position, didn't make any good passes, didn't back check. But then he didn't do any of that in the regular season. The guy has skill and he has talent, but he won't use them. He is a perimeter player. Get Seguin in there, or possibly Caron or Arniel from Providence.  But this opinion has been stated ad nauseum, by me, previously. I was glad the Bruins won but not with the player who scored the winner. Some other deserving player was severely cheated of that pleasure.
    Posted by Devanjan[/QUOTE] If you consider Ryder's game on Thursday a ''bad game '' well I will gladly be thrilled if he comes up with another one.Ryder is a complimentary player with great finish.He was poorly utilized this year.Seguin or Caron at this point offer nowhere near what Ryder potentially brings to the table . 

Sections
Shortcuts