Really Shanahan? You're Complaining That Marchand Doesn't Get It?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Really Shanahan? You're Complaining That Marchand Doesn't Get It?

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2012/03/13/brendan-shanahan-on-dc-brad-marchand-didnt-get-it-after-five-game-suspension/

No wonder Marchand is still a little confused with the mixed messages Shanahan has been giving this year. He questions Marchand's hit on Emelin even though he admits it was perfectly legal. C'mon man.The rulebook has specific parameters for illegal acts for a reason. Call what's in there and don't concern yourself with making up for things that aren't.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Really Shanahan? You're Complaining That Marchand Doesn't Get It?

Dez, I heard this live and i was shaking my head. If the hit is legal, then whats the problem??

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Really Shanahan? You're Complaining That Marchand Doesn't Get It?:
    [QUOTE]Dez, I heard this live and i was shaking my head. If the hit is legal, then whats the problem??
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    My thoughts exactly Kel.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Its clear to me that Sherriff Shanny has been reading the TSN blogs and has decided he doesn't like Brad.Its the "in" thing to do.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

J-E-R-E-M-Y!!! Straighten this guy out, fast.

This is your league, not his.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Fail.

** Good to see rinaldo take one to the mug the other night( a punch that is).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Still steaming that Sesito didn't get suspended for his hit on Horton. Plus, I really don't like the whole "repeat offender" bs nor the "intention" in evaluating whether a player should be suspended. So if a guy makes several borderline plays, then he's not a repeat offender?

Shannahan is a joke.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Why is Shanahan even bringing up a legal hit ( that was not punishable ) that happened on Feb. 15th anyway ?  I think his job is getting to his head.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

i've had plenty to say about shanny's judgement so far.  he just doesn't get it.
    you have "forceful" conversations, with those who break the rules, not those playing within them.  the rules are clear.  enforce them.  if something is happening that causes problems...change the rule...then enforce it.
    the dumbest minds in sport rule the game of hockey.  we have rules for the regular season.  rules for the playoffs.  rules for close games, and rules for blowouts.  we have rules for the first and second periods, and rules that apply in late third period situations only.  we have rules for tough guys, and we have rules for weak guys.  we have rules for overtime...heck...we even have rules for non rules.
         And the amazing thing is....the league seems to think that's the way it should be.  Is it any wonder hockey's rules package hasn't evolved, when lead by such incompetence.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Is it any wonder that Marchand's game has cooled off with these added "conversations" ? In addition to Shanny's interpretations, what about the officiating, the bogus and reversed call on Lucic; the debateable 'Kicking" motion last night; and the more frequent questionable calls in most Bruins games.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Shanahan is afraid that he'll get in trouble again when he polls the GM's on how popular he is.  Good grief -- have the guts to call the rules on the books.

And to the whiners about the Bruins -- you're crying makes the Stanley Cup victory that much sweeter every time I hear it. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Shanahan is a rookie chief disciplinarian in a league that is trying to redefine it's rules.  Marchand is not too far off from the same description as a young player learning from a NHL which is trying to redefine the rules.    

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I agree with Shanny to a point. Why would BM try to hit Emlin that way? Why make people wonder to begin with? I understand BM's situation being smaller than most, but at the same time you have to wonder where his head is at. Why make a move like that after already being suspended for it. Whether it's legal or not is irrelevent. The motion was the same, but the height & timing was the difference. BM needs to find another way to protect himself is the bottom line. Until he does, he'll cross that line again & it'll end up being 10 or more games.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Shanahan is a buffoon. The hit on Emelin was perfectly legal bottom line.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: Really Shanahan? You're Complaining That Marchand Doesn't Get It?:
    [QUOTE]The motion was the same, but the height & timing was the difference.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

Nite - Perhaps this was the non-suspension reasoning behind the Foligno hit on Phaneuf but it looks a lot like the one by Marchand. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/brad-marchand-sees-nhl-hypocrisy-suspension-lack-thereof-213528601.html

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I don't want to believe he has something against the Bruins and I won't .
    Although he has been tough on the Bruins after the Miller hit (yes Bookboy you called it).
    Sooner or later it'll snowball on him for his inconsistently and it won't be the Bruins complaining ,  there are big whiners out there. 
    You should have seen the Sabre fans flipping out on the Myer's decision and why Lucic or Phaneuf got nothing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]I don't want to believe he has something against the Bruins and I won't .
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Exactly. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Really Shanahan? You're Complaining That Marchand Doesn't Get It? : Nite - Perhaps this was the non-suspension reasoning behind the Foligno hit on Phaneuf but it looks a lot like the one by Marchand.    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/brad-marchand-sees-nhl-hypocrisy-suspension-lack-thereof-213528601.html
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]
    Yea they really were pulling strings of hair on that one!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveTheBruins. Show LoveTheBruins's posts

I thought Shanahan was going to be fantastic in his position and clean up the goon hits.  He's proven to be biased and erratic in both his punishments and those hits he punishes.  

What I want to know, is what does Shanahan have against the Bruins?  He & the League have been nothing short of disgusting in their handling of the many Bruins' incidents over the past few years.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PINEwarmer. Show PINEwarmer's posts

1. I am of the firm belief Shanahan's rulings will be the subject of CBA relief by the NHLPA this summer. The traditional league policy of one man fining and suspending players has become a running source of controversy and demands a new approach.
    2.BM didn't duck the other night and got slammed into the boards and injured and there was no call. As I remember his head was slammed into the glass. That's how the refs handle Shan-wow's rulings. On the "call list" and a player doesn't get the calls.
    3. Biggest joke on my TV. No enforcement of embellishment. Look  at the goalies actions since the Lucic-Miller incident. Never mind conditioned athletes who have been skating since age 2, stand 6'2", weigh 210 lbs., falling down because a player's stick hit their skates.
    4. Notice he did not see fit to address the Sestito non-call in his defense of his decisions involving Bruins.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]I don't want to believe he has something against the Bruins and I won't . Although he has been tough on the Bruins after the Miller hit (yes Bookboy you called it). Sooner or later it'll snowball on him for his inconsistently and it won't be the Bruins complaining ,  there are big whiners out there.  You should have seen the Sabre fans flipping out on the Myer's decision and why Lucic or Phaneuf got nothing.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

ummmm I think he was tough on the Bruins because of hits that he felt were against the rules. Bruins suspensions were just a part reality ( not what someone " called " ) and not a vendetta on Shanahan's part. 

A little hard to believe that Shanahan's ringing his hands whenever one of the Bruins make a questionable hit. But if people want to think that way..........

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishfinger. Show fishfinger's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with Shanny to a point. Why would BM try to hit Emlin that way? Why make people wonder to begin with? I understand BM's situation being smaller than most, but at the same time you have to wonder where his head is at. Why make a move like that after already being suspended for it. Whether it's legal or not is irrelevent. The motion was the same, but the height & timing was the difference. BM needs to find another way to protect himself is the bottom line. Until he does, he'll cross that line again & it'll end up being 10 or more games.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

I guess the hip check is now considered a dirty hit.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

I don't like having ex-star players being in charged of discepline.  I am a firm believer that all people have some sort of biased based on their experiences whether they are aware of them or not.  Star players have always been treated favorably by the league and I believe like to think of themselves as if they are in a different class than the rest of the league.  I think the fact that Shanny enjoyed this status throughout his career gives him a natural bias towards superstars and against the grinders, tough guys and role players in the league.  When Shanny played I'm sure he hated the rats on the other teams and, as most star players, was the first to complain when he was on the recieving end of a boarderline hit.  Compare that to the grinders who just go out and play their game, and are usually the last ones to complain about another guys style, play, hit, etc.

So when he watches Malkin ram Boychuck into the boards he naturally thinks "he turned at the last second, nothing Malkin could do".  But when he watches Lucic or Marchand give the identical hit to a skilled player he thinks "cheap shot"

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Really Shanahan? You're Complaining That Marchand Doesn't Get It? : ummmm I think he was tough on the Bruins because of hits that he felt were against the rules. Bruins suspensions were just a part reality ( not what someone " called " ) and not a vendetta on Shanahan's part.  A little hard to believe that Shanahan's ringing his hands whenever one of the Bruins make a questionable hit. But if people want to think that way..........
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

I know that and like I said I won't believe that he has something against the Bruins. I thought it was a Quebec thing, RHO understood and he's from Ontario LOL.
    When he suspended Lucic for the Renaldo hit that was a little too much and he based it on a accumulation of iffy hits.  That's wrong and even worse to give as his reasoning.  That's what I mean he's been hard on the Bruins.  He gave Lucic too many games .
    Then there's the suspension on Marchand on Salo hit, 5games was way too much , 3 would have been more than fair.
    These are the examples that have believe he's being hard on the Bruins.  Maybe he got pressured by the GMs or maybe someone else to calm down the GMs.
    There was  a lot of lobbying against the Bruins from other teams starting with the non-suspension on the Chara-Pacioretty incident till today.
    This is why many,  like Bookboy and myself (among others) , last season were hoping there would have been 2games on Chara so there would be no ill effects moving forward.
    As much as it sounds far fetched I'm starting to believe this more and more.
    Again,  I'm certain that Shannahan has nothing against the Bruins and will only suspend if deemed illegal. It's the punishment after the fact I don't agree with.
    Capishe ?  Wink

Sections
Shortcuts