Recchi in 2011-2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Re: Recchi in 2011-2012

If I were Rex id be looking to retire and buy a nice vacation home and spend the next year or so there away from hockey.

But the guys a machine a workhorse I think he'd be a great asst. coach. But with another (hopeful) lotto pick next year and Arniel,Colbourne,Caron in the  baby bears id expect them to get the nod over Recchi for another comeback year. Dont want to make him Recchi-Farve

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Recchi in 2011-2012:
    [QUOTE]The guy is a machine. Sure, he has his slow nights and sometimes shows his age, but he always seems to bounce back with a great play or a clutch performance. I expect big things from him (again) this year's playoff push. But what to do in 2011? I'd love to see a lifelong obsession of mine come to fruition and see a player/coach situation, but it's never going to happen. Imagine instead of Paille as the healthy scratch, you have Recchi as a bench coach and he steps in when there's an injury/flu/rest day needed. He's on the ice for practice working guys like Wheeler, Horton, Lucic, Caron and Marchand. Why don't more teams do this (Lehtinen for DAL, Niedermayer for Anaheim, Guerin for PIT all come to mind for this season alone)? Couldn't you pay the guy $500k as a player salary and $250k for coaching duties, thus reducing the cap hit? What would you do? Any insight on player/coaches in the NHL? Has it ever worked or been done before?
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]
    I believe Butch Goring played and coached in the same season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ocram. Show ocram's posts

That is a clever idea, IMO don't think there will be much left in the tank for Recchi next season.

When the Bruins move on from Julien, the ideal next coach should be an ex-player not far removed from the game. Stick that guy with an X/O's type of assistant, and create a good blend of technical and emotional leaders of the club.

The younger coach trend seems to have worked for teams like Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Colorado, Tampa Bay to name a few. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

this is a waste of thread..he's retiring, and I hope he goes out on a great note...but i think he's playing well right now, and hope he keeps setting up and scoring goals

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Dude please he has to retire. Even this year he should have not cameback. Due to the crappy cap situation he was the only viable free agent that the team could count on the at least score 45-55 points (on pace).

Next year i rather bring back Wheeler and we have guys like Caron, Spooner, Colborne, Sauve who could fill in

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

he'll have to retire. i just can't see where he'd fit in the lineup next year. he's getting slower and slower every year. love him, but it's time to go.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I like the idea of him as player coach, but I hope he retires this year and does so in storybook fashion with Chara handing him the cup in his last career game, going out like Andrechuk or Bourque.

Have the Bruins had a player coach since Milt Schmidt? (was a player/part-time coach in 54-55, before retiring partway through the season to take over full coaching duties)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Recchi in 2011-2012:
    [QUOTE]I like the idea of him as player coach, but I hope he retires this year and does so in storybook fashion with Chara handing him the cup in his last career game, going out like Andrechuk or Bourque. Have the Bruins had a player coach since Milt Schmidt? (was a player/part-time coach in 54-55, before retiring partway through the season to take over full coaching duties)
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    Like I said,I think Butch Goring started that way.Didn't turn out to be a great coach though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

i like your storybook idea red. there's a guy i work with who thinks all pro sports are rigged. i'll tell him to call bettman and run it by him. you never know.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Agreed that this might be the last year, which is why it's interesting to think about what he might do next season. Retirement is likely, as you can't force coaching on a guy who doesn't want it.

I don't really see him jumping right in as the Asst Coach anywhere either. Most ex-players have to pay their dues like anyone else (Dineen has been the coach up here in Portland for a few seasons now). But in all those cases, they retire completely and go behind the bench. I'm just curious if there is a chance for something in-between.

And danny...sorry to take up free internet space on a topic that bores you. Shall we discuss how Julien should be fired and Rask should start more?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Player/coach ?
    When you hear the phrase 'being in game shape' I think this is one of those times when you have to use it. To step into the lineup after not playing regularly at an age where most players have retired I think would be asking too much. Too many responsibilities as a coach too. It would hurt a team in that aspect of being a good team too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]Player/coach ? When you hear the phrase 'being in game shape' I think this is one of those times when you have to use it. To step into the lineup after not playing regularly at an age where most players have retired I think would be asking too much. Too many responsibilities as a coach too. It would hurt a team in that aspect of being a good team too.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

couldn't agree more.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

You're right Dez - just checked it out, and he did the same thing that Schmidt did, retiring halfway through the season to take over as head coach. Sorry I overlooked your Goring post earlier.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

The coaching aspect would be some sort of low-level assistant, but you make a very good point. I suppose who want 100% of your player salary going to guys who can start at any time, and this is likely why other teams don't really do this. Too much rust.

I can still dream, right? I have some Paul Newman-esque image in my head of the good ol' days that never really existed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]You're right Dez - just checked it out, and he did the same thing that Schmidt did, retiring halfway through the season to take over as head coach. Sorry I overlooked your Goring post earlier.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    That's ok.Many just put me on ignore to save time.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

I can see him being hired as an assistant coach even as fast as next season and eventuallly as a coach. He will die staying away from the game for too long

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Recchi in 2011-2012 : That's ok.Many just put me on ignore to save time.....
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Dez... you're pretty much the last poster I'd ever put on ignore here. Always well reasoned, always knowledgable, and also willing to admit when you make a wrong call. I wish every poster on here was like you.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Recchi in 2011-2012 : Dez... you're pretty much the last poster I'd ever put on ignore here. Always well reasoned, always knowledgable, and also willing to admit when you make a wrong call. I wish every poster on here was like you.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    Thanks.You're alright!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

If Chiarelli has to sign Recchi again then the Bruins are truly in trouble not developing their top prospects. I do think Mark Recchi would be great as a coach just not a player/coach those days are over.