Recchi's number

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

Recchi's number

Recchi is easily a first ballad hall of famer, but is he worth retiring a number for in Boston? He only played here a few seasons, but had a huge impact in those years.

I know Colorado retired Bourque's number with only 94 games played in an Avalanche jersey. What does everyone think? I think he's worth it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Recchi's number

I think the Bruins have a ridiculous number of jersies retired already.

Sorry, but #24 isn't in the same league as most of the others, with the exception of Lionel Hitchman whose number they retired for the sake of retiring a number.
    Middleton and Cashman did just as much if not more than O'Reilly did, both of those guys played more NHL games and scored more than Terry did.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Recchi's number:
    [QUOTE]   Recchi is easily a first ballad hall of famer, but is he worth retiring a number for in Boston? He only played here a few seasons, but had a huge impact in those years.   I know Colorado retired Bourque's number with only 94 games played in an Avalanche jersey. What does everyone think? I think he's worth it.
    Posted by captainbergeron[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not.  He'll be a forgotten Bruin in 10 years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

and what about poor Jean Ratelle. guy has one of the great careers but splits his stats with 2 teams thus neither one cares about him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeBruinsFan. Show LeBruinsFan's posts

Recchi was great for the team but not worthy of retiring a number.

With Espo cheering on Tampa in the playoffs, I hope they take his number down.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

Ok, what about either Pittsburg or Philly? He spent most of his career between these two teams.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

In Response to Re: Recchi's number:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Recchi's number : Absolutely not.  He'll be a forgotten Bruin in 10 years.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Forgotten, surely you gest!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Ok, what about either Pittsburg or Philly? He spent most of his career between these two teams.
    Posted by captainbergeron[/QUOTE]

You need to do some research on retired numbers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Recchi's number : Forgotten, surely you gest!
    Posted by Nolakanookie[/QUOTE]

When people look back on this team, I think they'll talk about Thomas, Chara, Bergeron, Krejci, Horton and Lucic...yes, and Marchand. 

Recchi, Peverley, Kelly, Ryder, Campbell, Paille, Thornton, McQuaid, Boychuk, Seidenberg and the rest of the bunch will be secondary.

It's like the B's in '88 and '90.  Moog/Lemelin, Bourque, Neely.  No one goes on and on about that great play that Dave Poulin made.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Recchi's number : When people look back on this team, I think they'll talk about Thomas, Chara, Bergeron, Krejci, Horton and Lucic...yes, and Marchand.  Recchi, Peverley, Kelly, Ryder, Campbell, Paille, Thornton, McQuaid, Boychuk, Seidenberg and the rest of the bunch will be secondary. It's like the B's in '88 and '90.  Moog/Lemelin, Bourque, Neely.  No one goes on and on about that great play that Dave Poulin made.
    what did Lucic do that was so great ?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Recchi's number : what did Lucic do that was so great ?
    Posted by jerrynewyork[/QUOTE]
    and if they are not talking about Seidenberg then they were somewhere else.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Recchi's number : what did Lucic do that was so great ?

It won't be about what he did, it will be the lore.  I can't tell you what Neely did in the 1988 playoffs off the top of my head, but when the subject comes up, I think of him immediately.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Great guy, solid contributions and leadership in Boston but no to retiring his number.  Not enough time in a Bruins uniform.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Recchi's number : and if they are not talking about Seidenberg then they were somewhere else.

Seidenberg is a player on the team, but I don't think he'll be remembered as a Boston Bruin as much as a hockey player in general.  I think that's the difference that I'm trying to show here. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Recchi's number : It won't be about what he did, it will be the lore.  I can't tell you what Neely did in the 1988 playoffs off the top of my head, but when the subject comes up, I think of him immediately.
    got yer point !

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Recchi's number : It won't be about what he did, it will be the lore.  I can't tell you what Neely did in the 1988 playoffs off the top of my head, but when the subject comes up, I think of him immediately.

I think of Glen Wesley missing the net and the lights going out...after that it is all a blur...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]I think the Bruins have a ridiculous number of jersies retired already. Sorry, but #24 isn't in the same league as most of the others, with the exception of Lionel Hitchman whose number they retired for the sake of retiring a number. Middleton and Cashman did just as much if not more than O'Reilly did, both of those guys played more NHL games and scored more than Terry did.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Along with Shore, he was the best defenceman of his era, was the first captain in team history and held that post for 4 years of his 10 here, and lead the Bruins to their first ever Stanley Cup.

If Hitchman doesn't deserve to be up there then almost none of the others do. He may be, alongside Shore, Schmidt and Orr, the most deserving retired number we have up in the rafters. Just because you don't know about the early history of the team BadHab, doesn't mean that Hitchman wasn't deserving of having his number retired. Hell, the only reason we have the tradition of retiring numbers is because of Hitchman.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Recchi's number : Hell, the only reason we have the tradition of retiring numbers is because of Hitchman.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

It was Eddie Shore who took out Ace Bailey.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Recchi's number : It was Eddie Shore who took out Ace Bailey.

That's the All-Star game.

and you're right - Bailey beat him out, my bad.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Recchi's number : That's the All-Star game.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Ace Bailey's number was the first to be retired by a professional sports team.

How does Hitchman play into this?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Read my edit NAS, my bad.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Recchi's number:[QUOTE]and what about poor Jean Ratelle. guy has one of the great careers but splits his stats with 2 teams thus neither one cares about him. Posted by jerrynewyork[/QUOTE]

The Blueshirts didn't retire Ratelle's number ? That's a a shame if they didn't Middelton is another one I think should have his number retired in Boston he's my favorite Bruin.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

Maybe he has a chance at the Bruins HOF, but chances are neither will happen. He'll probably get a management spot with the B's but that's about it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Recchi's number : Along with Shore, he was the best defenceman of his era, was the first captain in team history and held that post for 4 years of his 10 here, and lead the Bruins to their first ever Stanley Cup. If Hitchman doesn't deserve to be up there then almost none of the others do. He may be, alongside Shore, Schmidt and Orr, the most deserving retired number we have up in the rafters. Just because you don't know about the early history of the team BadHab, doesn't mean that Hitchman wasn't deserving of having his number retired. Hell, the only reason we have the tradition of retiring numbers is because of Hitchman.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

I am reasonably familiar with the early history of the team, don't forget I'm somewhat ancient ya young whipper snapper you.

Orr, Bucyk, Clapper, Esposito, Shore, schmidt, cam, ray in HOF.
    NOT in HOF, Hitchman, Taz.

And c'mon, being the defense partner of Eddie Shore?  His grandmother would probably look good next to Shore, she might have even skated for him for a few games.

414 games, 27 g 33 a 523 pim? 
    OK 1929 numbers were different, but...
    How about comparing those numbers to another Bruins defenseman of the era, Sprague Cleghorn?
    251 games 84 g  39 489 pim
    Cy Denneny
    325 games 246 g 69 a 315 pim

True those latter 2 played most of their careers out of Boston, but they are both HOF and contemporaries of Hitchman.

Look at NHL defenseman stats for the 1920's
    http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/1920s-nhl-defensemen-stats.html

he's 12th for numbers there.

And in the 1930's he's ranked 42
    http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/1930s-nhl-defensemen-stats.html

oh yah, and don't forget there were like an average of 10 teams in the league back then with probably 5 of them didn't count.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Recchi's number : The Blueshirts didn't retire Ratelle's number ? That's a a shame if they didn't Middelton is another one I think should have his number retired in Boston he's my favorite Bruin.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    this is true