Recchi's number

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Recchi's number

In Response to Re: Recchi's number:
    [QUOTE]I agree.  I think their #8 in the rafters is great, keep the ceremony, etc., but for krists sake, let someone else wear the number!  VERY few guys should have their number retired permanently, i.e., never to be worn again.  For the Bruins, its Orr & Shore and MAYBE Neely.  Nobody else in my opinion.  Each team has a FEW guys in their history who deserve their numbers up forever, but I dont think its more honorable to NEVER see those numbers played in again.  Id rather see a memorial patch, signature, etc., on the jersey and have it out there for the crowd to see.  I dont know, I really dont like the idea of retiring as many jerseys as there have been.  And if Gretzky has his 99 retired from the league, why the hell isnt #4!?!?!?!?!
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

Maybe Neely, but not Bourque?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Recchi's number : not too concerned about impact on city. that doesn't  make you a great player or a player that deserves to have number retired.  quite frankly TOR is an overrated 'legend'. who's next Stan Jonathan ? he's a B's legend too.
    Posted by jerrynewyork[/QUOTE]

You just don't understand.  If you think O'Reilly (former B's captain) is on par with Stan Jonathan (former B's goon), you should pick a NY team to watch.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan4778. Show bruinsfan4778's posts

NAS...what team does Recchi retire under and go to hall with??? your infinite "always my opinion is right' is now needed....humour me please.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]NAS...what team does Recchi retire under and go to hall with??? your infinite "always my opinion is right' is now needed....humour me please.
    Posted by bruinsfan4778[/QUOTE]

I'm the wrong person to take a jab at when you're automatically wrong.

Players don't go in as team members.

My infinite opinion being right says you're a dope.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

[QUOTE]I hate retired numbers, not sure why. I would like if the honor to the player would be that a small copy of their signature be along the bottom of the jersey worn by future players of that number. You may even end up with numbers that had more than one "retired" player. That may be an absurd thought to most people, but I like it.
    Posted by BlazeTrailer[/QUOTE]

I hate retired numbers too. And the more you retire numbers the more you begin to look like a football team. All teams should stick with the traditional #1-30 format.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Recchi's number :  And the more you retire numbers the more you begin to look like a football team. All teams should stick with the traditional #1-30 format.
    Posted by Hanrahan1[/QUOTE]

I agree, I hate the silly football numbers, although Im willing to expand the traditional to 1-35, as Tony Esposito made it OK for goalies to wear 31-35.

I think the football numbers are as much Gretzky's fault as the retiring of numbers, though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Recchi's number : I concur.. I am tired of listening to Espo on Sirius NHL rant how the lightening got robbed, No penalty calls, blah blah.. rescind number 7!  I for one start the petition now! 
    Posted by readsocks[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what a "lightening" is, but without Esposito the B's just might not win Cups in '70 or '72, and I really couldn't care less what he has to say as an analyst for a team he helped create later in his career.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Recchi's number : You just don't understand.  If you think O'Reilly (former B's captain) is on par with Stan Jonathan (former B's goon), you should pick a NY team to watch.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    bottom line TO'R was not a good enough player to have his number retired no matter how much loved he was/is.

as a matter of fact, it's a crime against hockey that Rick Middelton is not in the HOF