Recchi's number

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

Re: Recchi's number

In Response to Re: Recchi's number:
    In Response to Re: Recchi's number : The Blueshirts didn't retire Ratelle's number ? That's a a shame if they didn't Middelton is another one I think should have his number retired in Boston he's my favorite Bruin.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

and what about Rick Middleton. how is his number not in the rafters .

took a quick look and in the 1983 playoffs,Rick had 33 points in 17 games !

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottm50. Show scottm50's posts

In Response to Re: Recchi's number : what did Lucic do that was so great ?
    Posted by jerrynewyork

Exactly....disappointing post season for Looch ( whom I love as a Bruin )  but of course most posters here figure Ryder didn't play well in the play-offs.  Go figure....stats don't lie.

As for Recchi and the Number retiring thingy...aaaahhh no!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Recchi doesn't need his number retired here. He'll be in the HoF for sure. Totally outwieghs any jersey retirement here. But it doesn't matter to me, he'll always be one of the guys to bring it back home, that is enough.

Retiring his number is equivalent to the Sox retiring Schilling.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I would rather see the Bruins un-retire numbers than retire them.  The numbers now are stupid, 63, 73, 46.  At the rate they're going they'll have to reach into tripple digits.  You should honor players, but new guys should be able to wear the numbers and say it's a tribute to the old guys.  It would be nice to see a single-digit number out there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Recchi's number : and what about Rick Middleton. how is his number not in the rafters . took a quick look and in the 1983 playoffs,Rick had 33 points in 17 games !
    Posted by jerrynewyork

Middleton was a very good hockey player, but not one of the best. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In Response to Recchi's number:
       Recchi is easily a first ballad hall of famer, but is he worth retiring a number for in Boston? He only played here a few seasons, but had a huge impact in those years.   I know Colorado retired Bourque's number with only 94 games played in an Avalanche jersey. What does everyone think? I think he's worth it.
    Posted by captainbergeron

Colorado retiring Bourque's number was a joke.

221 total games as a Bruin. 56 goals. 137 points. You think he deserves to be in the rafters with Neely, Schmidt, Orr and Shore?

As much as I poke fun at Recchi, I like the guy and think he's had an awfully good career, but retire his number? No freaking way!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

In Response to Re: Recchi's number : Middleton was a very good hockey player, but not one of the best. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

but definitely good enough to have his number retired by the Bruins. take a look at his numbers.

and if they can retire Terry O'Reilly's number ...........

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Recchi's number : but definitely good enough to have his number retired by the Bruins. take a look at his numbers. and if they can retire Terry O'Reilly's number ...........
    Posted by jerrynewyork

1.  Apparently his numbers weren't good enough, considering it's not up there.

2.  O'Reilly and Middleton were very, very different players.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

In Response to Re: Recchi's number : 1.  Apparently his numbers weren't good enough, considering it's not up there. 2.  O'Reilly and Middleton were very, very different players.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

his numbers are good enough. i guess if Middleton had been more of a "skating clown" to go with his great offensive talent,16 would be up there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Recchi's number : his numbers are good enough. i guess if Middleton had been more of a "skating clown" to go with his great offensive talent,16 would be up there.
    Posted by jerrynewyork

Skating Clowns don't put up 90 points.

His numbers AREN'T good enough.  If they were, his number would be retired.  It's not.  He was a very good hockey player, but the great hockey players were much better than him at that time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

In Response to Re: Recchi's number : Skating Clowns don't put up 90 points. His numbers AREN'T good enough.  If they were, his number would be retired.  It's not.  He was a very good hockey player, but the great hockey players were much better than him at that time.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

his numbers ARE good enough. that's how i feel and will leave it at that.

and Dwight Evans number should be retired too. woops,wrong sport.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Recchi's number : his numbers ARE good enough. that's how i feel and will leave it at that. and Dwight Evans number should be retired too. woops,wrong sport.
    Posted by jerrynewyork

Goals (best finish):  7th, 8th, 10th overall

Points (bf):  10th, 10th

Trophies:  Byng

All-Star games:  3

NHL All-Star:  1

Those are the numbers of a very good hockey player, not a great one, and certainly not a legendary one.  Numbers are retired for legendary players.  Not Rick Middleton.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

In Response to Re: Recchi's number : Goals (best finish):  7th, 8th, 10th overall Points (bf):  10th, 10th Trophies:  Byng All-Star games:  3 NHL All-Star:  1 Those are the numbers of a very good hockey player, not a great one, and certainly not a legendary one.  Numbers are retired for legendary players.  Not Rick Middleton.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

ah. you sucked me back into this disagreement.

and exactly what great numbers does O'reilly have ? besides PIM

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

and to think that RM had to retire at 34 because of that head injury. and was also captain and co captain with Bourque. 16 belongs in the rafters.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Recchi's number : ah. you sucked me back into this disagreement. and exactly what great numbers does O'reilly have ? besides PIM
    Posted by jerrynewyork

As I stated earlier, O'Reilly and Middleton were different players and meant different things to the team and it's fans.

O'Reilly is a Bruins legend for his style of play and his point totals.

Middleton was a very good Bruin for a few years.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Recchi's number : I think of Glen Wesley missing the net and the lights going out...after that it is all a blur...
    Posted by kelvana33

I almost put my wife into 4 months premature labor when Wesley did that in game 1 in 1990!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

In Response to Re: Recchi's number : As I stated earlier, O'Reilly and Middleton were different players and meant different things to the team and it's fans. O'Reilly is a Bruins legend for his style of play and his point totals. Middleton was a very good Bruin for a few years.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

hate to belabor the point but i will continue again.

RM was a great Bruin for many years.

Games played:
    TO'R 891
    RM   981 w/B's and had to retire at 34.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

keep him in the limelight as a bruin doing something in the mix , the cup does seem to follow him around

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Recchi's number : hate to belabor the point but i will continue again. RM was a great Bruin for many years. Games played: TO'R 891 RM   981 w/B's and had to retire at 34.
    Posted by jerrynewyork

hate to belabor the point, but you can probably guess that I'm aware of Middleton's stats.  You might read a few posts in this thread where I have stated that they are different players, they cannot be compared, their impact on the team and the city was different and everything else.

This is apples to oranges.

O'Reilly is a B's legend.  Middleton is not.

One is in the rafters.  The other is not.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Recchi's number : I concur.. I am tired of listening to Espo on Sirius NHL rant how the lightening got robbed, No penalty calls, blah blah.. rescind number 7!  I for one start the petition now! 
    Posted by readsocks

His number is retired for the work he did while in a Bruins jersey 30 years ago.  His current actions or statements don't change his history on the team.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I'd like to see numbers get unretired after 100 years.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

In Response to Re: Recchi's number : hate to belabor the point, but you can probably guess that I'm aware of Middleton's stats.  You might read a few posts in this thread where I have stated that they are different players, they cannot be compared, their impact on the team and the city was different and everything else. This is apples to oranges. O'Reilly is a B's legend.  Middleton is not. One is in the rafters.  The other is not.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

not too concerned about impact on city. that doesn't  make you a great player or a player that deserves to have number retired.  quite frankly TOR is an overrated 'legend'. who's next Stan Jonathan ? he's a B's legend too.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlazeTrailer. Show BlazeTrailer's posts

I hate retired numbers, not sure why. I would like if the honor to the player would be that a small copy of their signature be along the bottom of the jersey worn by future players of that number. You may even end up with numbers that had more than one "retired" player.

That may be an absurd thought to most people, but I like it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

I agree.  I think their #8 in the rafters is great, keep the ceremony, etc., but for krists sake, let someone else wear the number!  VERY few guys should have their number retired permanently, i.e., never to be worn again.  For the Bruins, its Orr & Shore and MAYBE Neely.  Nobody else in my opinion.  Each team has a FEW guys in their history who deserve their numbers up forever, but I dont think its more honorable to NEVER see those numbers played in again.  Id rather see a memorial patch, signature, etc., on the jersey and have it out there for the crowd to see.  I dont know, I really dont like the idea of retiring as many jerseys as there have been.  And if Gretzky has his 99 retired from the league, why the hell isnt #4!?!?!?!?!

Sections
Shortcuts