Reflecting on Tyler Seguin's Rookie Year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Reflecting on Tyler Seguin's Rookie Year

Still remains to be seen, but it seems entirely plausible that Tyler Seguin's rookie season is over.  What does he have to show for his efforts?  An 11-11-22 line in 72gp with a -3. 

Seems like Seguin has picked up some valueable experience, but the overall production is a little disappointing.  My hope was 20-20-40 and establishing himself as a bonafide top-6 or top-9 forward by playoff time.  Despite some flashes of speed and skill, the consistancy just hasn't been there.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sclifton-4-freespeech. Show sclifton-4-freespeech's posts

Re: Reflecting on Tyler Seguin's Rookie Year

In Response to Reflecting on Tyler Seguin's Rookie Year:
    [QUOTE]Still remains to be seen, but it seems entirely plausible that Tyler Seguin's rookie season is over.  What does he have to show for his efforts?  An 11-11-22 line in 72gp with a -3.  Seems like Seguin has picked up some valueable experience, but the overall production is a little disappointing.  My hope was 20-20-40 and establishing himself as a bonafide top-6 or top-9 forward by playoff time.  Despite some flashes of speed and skill, the consistancy just hasn't been there.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

he is 19, not even close to the age of some of the other rookies who had good years. the experience this year will help with next year.
    make sure you compare apples to apples when talking about rookies.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

he'll be fine, but his season is done barring injury

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Seguin did not play especially well for much of the season so he didn't deserve to play more.  He did improve significantly, so having him here was the right thing to do.  I'm pleased.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Ridiculous expectations by many going in. Very mishandled by Julien throughout (almost no PP time until the end of the season, really?), gone with a whimper in the end....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In Response to Re: Reflecting on Tyler Seguin's Rookie Year:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Reflecting on Tyler Seguin's Rookie Year : he is 19, not even close to the age of some of the other rookies who had good years. the experience this year will help with next year. make sure you compare apples to apples when talking about rookies.
    Posted by sclifton-4-freespeech[/QUOTE]

Skinner is 29-29-58 this year.  Skinner is 18 and won't turn 19 until May 16th.

Hall is 22-20-42 in 65 games this year.  Hall turned 19 on November 14, 2010.

Fowler is 9-29-38 this year.  Fowler turned 19 on December 5, 2010.

Enough apples for you?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

He should be in the line up over Thornton.

If Paille falters, he should take his spot.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Seguin was terrible on the powerplay much of the season.  If Claude played him more, he would be a bad coach.

[QUOTE]Ridiculous expectations by many going in. Very mishandled by Julien throughout (almost no PP time until the end of the season, really?), gone with a whimper in the end....
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]Seguin was terrible on the powerplay much of the season.  If Claude played him more, he would be a bad coach. In Response to Re: Reflecting on Tyler Seguin's Rookie Year :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

First, he rarely played on the PP until late February/early March.

Second, the PP has been terrible all year even without him and to not try a kid with a cannon for a shot and good offensive instincts with more consistency was a terrible decision by Julien.

Just for clarity, I do not think Claude is a bad coach but I do think his stubborness has been and will be the teams downfall if he does not get past it...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1NEFAN2. Show 1NEFAN2's posts

How much playing time per game did each of these plays get Skinner, Fowler and Hall.  Seguin got what 8-10 min per game.  Wow, he really get to show off his talent.  CJ should have been gone last year, good coach but for the the B's.  It seems nobody what's to give this KID a chance.  Probably should have played another yr a jr, but he didn't, can't get better without playing.  Expectations were to high.  He has alot of talent and it will show in the coming yrs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Reflecting on Tyler Seguin's Rookie Year : Skinner is 29-29-58 this year.  Skinner is 18 and won't turn 19 until May 16th. Hall is 22-20-42 in 65 games this year.  Hall turned 19 on November 14, 2010. Fowler is 9-29-38 this year.  Fowler turned 19 on December 5, 2010. Enough apples for you?

TOI:

Skinner:  16:40 minutes per game, 3:06 PP minutes per game, Larose and Ruutu most common linemates 7th place team

Hall:  18 minutes per game, 2:43 PP minutes per game, Eberle and Horcoff  Worst team in the NHL (and possibly worse than half of the AHL teams also)

Fowler:  22 minutes per game, 3:36 PP minutes per game, Lilja (a defenseman isn't really apples to apples) 9th place team

Seguin:  12 minutes per game, 1:22 PP minutes per game, Ryder and Wheeler third place team

How about them apples?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The power play was also in the top 10 for much of the season.  Until Marc Savard returned to the lineup, Seguin was a staple on the second unit.  He was a turnover machine, trying unrealistic passes.  I wanted him off of there and was glad when he was replaced.  He wasn't put back on until his play improved late in the season.  At that point he looked great, but he was like a different player all around.  I'd like to see him in there tonight, especially on that 5 on 3... ugh.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Reflecting on Tyler Seguin's Rookie Year : TOI: Skinner:  16:40 minutes per game, 3:06 PP minutes per game, Larose and Ruutu most common linemates 7th place team Hall:  18 minutes per game, 2:43 PP minutes per game, Eberle and Horcoff  Worst team in the NHL (and possibly worse than half of the AHL teams also) Fowler:  22 minutes per game, 3:36 PP minutes per game, Lilja (a defenseman isn't really apples to apples) 9th place team Seguin:  12 minutes per game, 1:22 PP minutes per game, Ryder and Wheeler third place team How about them apples?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Nice stats. I suppose the argument will now devolve into which statistics are deemed "more important"....lol!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Sending Tyler back to jrs?  he already outgrew jrs, maybe you might argue he hasn't grown into the NHL yet, but nothing to gain by having him in jr.

I'll never be convinced otherwise that he has not been properly developed. 

Seems to me like CJ realized he should have played the discipline card more with PK, so now he's going to take it out on Tyler.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

NAS- no question, those players have logged more minutes than Seguin, but there is a chicken/egg component here, right? 

I am not down on the prospect of Seguin's future at all.  My post was to see if what transpired this year was in the best interest of the team and player.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

The power play was also in the top 10 for much of the season.  Until Marc Savard returned to the lineup, Seguin was a staple on the second unit.  He was a turnover machine, trying unrealistic passes.  I wanted him off of there and was glad when he was replaced.  He wasn't put back on until his play improved late in the season.  At that point he looked great, but he was like a different player all around.  I'd like to see him in there tonight, especially on that 5 on 3... ugh.
    Posted by OatesCam

Not to be-labour my point but the B's PP started out the season strong but hit a wall in mid-november and never recovered, hence the constant speculation of the B's being interested in a number of prospective PMD's. Just look at the old Yandle vs. Kaberle threads on the boards, there are more then a few and they go back a long way.

As for Seguin, he was never a staple on any PP unit for the majority of the season.

I know what you are saying but I think you may be exaggerating this a bit....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Last I looked Seguin's shooting % was pretty respectable, too.

Geez tonight Brick and Jack are praising Paille's missed shots - which are of the workman variety and it's good enough to get him in the line up.

And Tyler has some outstanding shots that didn't score - and that gets him out of the line up.

And discipline?  Marchand's golf swing v. the Leafs?

Notice Seguin doing anything like that?

I noticed Seguin really ticked off and smashed his stick against the boards in frustation at the end of a shift because he was disappointed in himself - and that was a shift where Kelly scored.

I notice those numbers on the ice for the optional skate and #19 is ALWAYS among them.

I feel cheated.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Last I looked Seguin's shooting % was pretty respectable, too. Geez tonight Brick and Jack are praising Paille's missed shots - which are of the workman variety and it's good enough to get him in the line up. And Tyler has some outstanding shots that didn't score - and that gets him out of the line up. And discipline?  Marchand's golf swing v. the Leafs? Notice Seguin doing anything like that? I noticed Seguin really ticked off and smashed his stick against the boards in frustation at the end of a shift because he was disappointed in himself - and that was a shift where Kelly scored. I notice those numbers on the ice for the optional skate and #19 is ALWAYS among them. I feel cheated.
    Posted by BadHabitude

Well, time will tell if this is the correct move for the team or not......Either Julien will be remembered for his masterly handling of his roster in a serious cup run or he will be ridiculed for refusing to use his assets to the teams advantage in a one/two and out playoff bust.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]NAS- no question, those players have logged more minutes than Seguin, but there is a chicken/egg component here, right?  I am not down on the prospect of Seguin's future at all.  My post was to see if what transpired this year was in the best interest of the team and player.

I think it was the best case.  He was too good for the OHL, too young for the AHL, and maybe he started out not good enough for the NHL.  He's lived the life, watched great players get it done and has been in many situations that can't be explained, just experienced.

I expect a monster year next season, no sophomore slump at all!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from thefly8. Show thefly8's posts

should of played in stead of Ryder most of the time, would of if Ryder was not CJs toy. Could of made PP better if had more time.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TTisOverrated. Show TTisOverrated's posts

We wont see his true potential until Claude is gone

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]We wont see his true potential until Claude is gone
    Posted by TTisOverrated[/QUOTE]

I normally don't agree with you but this time I think you are right....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]should of played in stead of Ryder most of the time, would of if Ryder was not CJs toy. Could of made PP better if had more time.
    Posted by thefly8[/QUOTE]

Like it or not, Ryder creates more.  He creates more goals, and he creates more action. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Seguin should have played more in Novermber and December.  His role in the playoffs seems to be a fill in if there is an injury (hope not).  Now that is a whole lot better than T. Whitfield.  Seguin's regular season was not too bad... orginally I thought 20 goals and 20 assists.  Not all players mature with respect to the learning curve and to the physicality of hockey.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Reflecting on Tyler Seguin's Rookie Year:
    Still remains to be seen, but it seems entirely plausible that Tyler Seguin's rookie season is over.  What does he have to show for his efforts?  An 11-11-22 line in 72gp with a -3.  Seems like Seguin has picked up some valueable experience, but the overall production is a little disappointing.  My hope was 20-20-40 and establishing himself as a bonafide top-6 or top-9 forward by playoff time.  Despite some flashes of speed and skill, the consistancy just hasn't been there.
    Posted by Crowls2424

I disagree that his season is over.Despite tonight's win,the PP was a bust again.Everybody standing still out there.From what I see,it's speed and creativity on the PP that Boston is lacking.Seguin had some chemistry going with Marchand using just those skills.So for as well as Paille and Thornton are playing,I think one of them will sit the minute goals start to get harder to come by.As far as Seguin's former line is concerned,I didn't feel Ryder was as good a fit,despite the goal they created tonight.I'm hoping the playoffs last at least a month a two so I guess we'll see.