Refs GIVE the Habs 2 pts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Refs GIVE the Habs 2 pts

With the Pens up 5 - 4 and about 7 minutes left, the refs decide that a Glass open ice bodycheck is actually a 5 min major elbow (replay showing he never made contact above the chest... it was Emelin hitting himself in the mouth with his own stick.) Habs get the PPG and then go on to win in the shootout. Lame.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Re: Refs GIVE the Habs 2 pts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With the Pens up 5 - 4 and about 7 minutes left, the refs decide that a Glass open ice bodycheck is actually a 5 min major elbow (replay showing he never made contact above the chest... it was Emelin hitting himself in the mouth with his own stick.) Habs get the PPG and then go on to win in the shootout. Lame.

[/QUOTE]

Was the referee Tim Peel? He was brutal at the O-games!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Watched the third period,brutal call,don't know what the ref saw but it wasn't an elbow,let alone a penalty,let alone a major.Make up call for previous call against the Scabs that led to Pitt go ahead goal and much complaining from Mike Therrien.I could totally see this happening in Montreal but it was in Pitt.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the referee didn't intentionally make a bad call.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:[QUOTE] Watched the third period,brutal call,don't know what the ref saw but it wasn't an elbow,let alone a penaltyI could totally see this happening in Montreal but it was in Pitt. [/QUOTE]

The Shabs always seem to be protected in the 3rd. I can't freakin stand it. That's all right though the Toilet Seats will get another tough opponent in the 1st round like last year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the referee didn't intentionally make a bad call.

[/QUOTE]

and if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Worst refereeing ever ?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I believe if the ref did not see a play, he/she should not guess.  Early this month, Eriksson's smash mouth incident that was not called a penalty (should have), the ref did not see the play.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Riding With The King is back?   We all know the league favours the Habs.  Thats why they win so many series and so many cups recently.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I believe if the ref did not see a play, he/she should not guess.  Early this month, Eriksson's smash mouth incident that was not called a penalty (should have), the ref did not see the play.  

[/QUOTE]

Refs can consult with all officials.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Here it is:

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/2/27/5455496/tanner-glass-should-not-have-been-ejected-for-this-hit

It is a really bad one for a few reasons.  First, like isla said, it is obvious the ref simply didn't see it.  It is worse to make up a call about something you didn't see, than it is to just miss something altogether.  The ref missed the hit, saw Emelin get hurt, and then decided that it was probably a penalty on Glass, so let's just call it.  Can't stand that.  Secondly, it had such a big impact on the game.  A 5-minute major at that point in the game is a dicey call unless the ref is sure of the call.  Changed the game

At least the game was in Pittsburgh, not in Montreal.  It's the Bell Centre that makes me worry about the refs reacting (not consciously, mind you) to the hysterical gasps and cries of 20,000 reactionary drama queens in the crowd.

Doesn't break my heart to see Pittsburgh lose either. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

I saw the play as well, terrible call !!  It's usually a given the Habs get the calls in the Bell Center but now getting them on the road to decide outcomes of games ?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

The linesman in my view saw the Eriksson hit clearly, but he did not make the call.  So I agree , the linesman did not see the smashed mouth play....????

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Brutal call, its Emelins own glove that gets him in the face, a dive, what else is new.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Here's something that always gets me about plays like this in sports in general.

How many times have you been hit in the face?  Of those times, how many times have you fallen to the ground, stayed on the ground and covered your face with your hands?

For me:  I've been hit in the face plenty of times (obviously), but I've never crumpled and covered. 

When a guygets hit and it's bad, you will generally see him drop a glove and put his hand to the injured area.  If he thinks it's that bad, he'll rush to the bench for the trainer.

The acting has to stop.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My recollection from the game is that all officials did confer and all officials still got it wrong, maybe the NHL should go to a one coaches challenge a game ala the NFL and go to the video,if the call is upheld on challenge the team doing the challenging gets a 2 minute delay of game penalty. Each coach has a red sparkle rubber donut (in honor of Jim Shoenfeld)that he tosses on the ice at the first whistle stoppage to indicate he wants to challenge the call,this will fix all Scab "the fix is in" conspiracies from now on.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

This is going to be a terrible post, but here goes anyway....

There was a game recently and I have no earthly recollection of what game it was. But in essence I was stunned that the Refs basically got together after just about every whistle/stoppage in play and discussed what happened. You could see them discussing who saw what and then they made the decision. I want to say maybe it was the Denver-Pats playoff game, because I'm vaguely remembering them picking up a tossed flag more than once and deciding after the fact that there was no penalty.

Long story short, it was awesome. I was great seeing the officials admit that they wanted to get the call right, even if it meant there was no call. I'd love to see the NHL do more of this. Guy gets hit and flails to the ice. Wait and see. Talk to the linesmen. Maybe call up to Toronto. Then if there's no penalty, drop the puck and keep going.

Just get the call right. 4 officials on the ice plus video. Shouldn't be hard.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:[QUOTE]

Long story short, it was awesome. I was great seeing the officials admit that they wanted to get the call right, even if it meant there was no call. I'd love to see the NHL do more of this. Guy gets hit and flails to the ice. Wait and see. Talk to the linesmen. Maybe call up to Toronto. Then if there's no penalty, drop the puck and keep going.

Just get the call right. 4 officials on the ice plus video. Shouldn't be hard. [/QUOTE]

Correct before they go to the inconclusive video and try to overturn.

PS. "drop the puck and keep going"

^This^ has been driving me crazy as well. It's worse than watching Pudge Fisk get into the damn batters box!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Hockey should do what soccer should have done a long time ago.  Retroactive discipline for diving.  It's just about impossible for the on-ice ref to punish people for diving in live games, and they get it wrong a lot.  In the NHL you only see diving called along with a matching penalty, so there is no real punishment.  They should fine/suspend players for diving and embellishment after the games by reviewing tape.  Lots of times the diving that is missed on the ice, is obvious on tape.  

Now you can't really suspend Emelin just for acting like a p**sy, but you could certainly give a suspension for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0GeiWoiiIE

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

That's exactly the type of play I'd like to see reviewed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's exactly the type of play I'd like to see reviewed.

[/QUOTE]

When its a major penalty, exactly

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Here's something that always gets me about plays like this in sports in general.

How many times have you been hit in the face?  Of those times, how many times have you fallen to the ground, stayed on the ground and covered your face with your hands?

For me:  I've been hit in the face plenty of times (obviously), but I've never crumpled and covered. 

When a guygets hit and it's bad, you will generally see him drop a glove and put his hand to the injured area.  If he thinks it's that bad, he'll rush to the bench for the trainer.

The acting has to stop.

The worsr part is that it's already happened where the ghost call has been detrimental to the game. Remember game 7 against Montreal in the 2011 play-offs? B's up 4-3 & Bergeron gets called for high sticking James Wisiewski & the replay shows he never even touched him. JW throws his head back & the refs buy it! PK scores to tie the game & luckily Horton comes thru, but imagine if the B's lost.  This team probably wouldn't be intact the way it is right now & CJ & company all would be out of a job. I think the coaches need the challenge, because a lot of these players have no integrity whatsoever! I think it's especially needed in the play-offs! 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

[QUOTE]

The acting has to stop.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly -- for me -- its not the call itself but again the totaly Subbanesque theatrics that are the real black eye to this great sport. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hockey should do what soccer should have done a long time ago.  Retroactive discipline for diving.  It's just about impossible for the on-ice ref to punish people for diving in live games, and they get it wrong a lot.  In the NHL you only see diving called along with a matching penalty, so there is no real punishment.  They should fine/suspend players for diving and embellishment after the games by reviewing tape.  Lots of times the diving that is missed on the ice, is obvious on tape.  

Now you can't really suspend Emelin just for acting like a p**sy, but you could certainly give a suspension for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0GeiWoiiIE

[/QUOTE]

Pk subban got penalty for " diving" vs detroit

[/QUOTE]

1)  I saw harder hits last night at a high school game.

2)  On dives,  l'd like very much to see the dive penalized and the original infraction forgiven.  So the non-diving team gets a 2-minute PP.  Diving would stop immediately.