Regular Season predictions: Eastern Conference

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

Regular Season predictions: Eastern Conference

Hey everyone,

Hope you all had a great Bruins summer filled with endless YouTube tribute videos and the replay of the playoffs. Anyways, I dug through the boards here looking for a recent regular season predictions for the eastern conference, and I couldnt find it. These things are always fun to look back on, so lets give it a shot (and let the luckiest amongst us pretend they're just that good :).

Eastern Conference
    1) Washington Capitals: Biggest addition they made was Voukon. If this team can get reliable goaltending, they're going to be a beast in the post-season. Also, Semin is in a contract year (again?) so look for one of the leagues best goal scorers to put up 40+.
    2) Boston Bruins: These guys may start off slow as all hard-partying stanley cup winners do, but they looked so strong during the playoffs that I suspect it wont take long to regain their form (Muscle Memory?).  With Corvo and Seguin 2.0 the Bruins can't be as bad on the power-play this season, right? Also, You're not going to slip very far in the standings when you boast one of the strongest 1-2 goaltending tandem in the league.
    3) Pittsburg Penguins: With a healthy Crosby, I would put them at number 1, but there is just no way to tell how his head is at. With him out of the line-up, they'll need Malkin and oft injured newcomer Steve Sullivan to help kickstart the offense.
    4) Tampa Bay Lightning:  Big question mark in goalie, but I don't have to tell bruins fans how dangerous TB can be.
    5) Philadelphia Flyers: Unfortunately, NHLs rudest fan-base is in for a pleasant surprise: Goaltender is in fact, a position worth investing in. Tons of young talent here, JVR is legit (remember him in the 2nd round? dominant.)
    6) New York Rangers: They finally land their number one center to feed Gaborik the puck. Tons of grit on this team, lots of strength down the middle, and superb goaltending. (I think I've heard of a team like that)

welcome to "the bubble"
    7) Montreal Canadiens: Excellent goaltending, and I love Cammaleri, Subban, pacioretti, plekanec, gionta. Whip out every cliche you can think of, this team just gets it done.
    8) Toronto Mapl jkjkjk  The New Jersey Devils:  Don't forget how strong this team finished after a horrendous start. They'll be adding Zach Parise, and one of the most NHL ready rookies at defense (Larsson). I for one, am not willing to declare Brodeur as a washed-up goalie, I think he's got something to prove

9) Buffalo: Because they are Buffalo.

10) New York Islanders:  Yes, I am crazy. I think this team is loaded with young talent, and really solidified their goaltending with Evgeni Nabokov. He's extremely legit #2, and could easily be the #1 once DiPietro goes down like he does every year. This team is a Defensemen away from a legit playoff contender.

11) Carolina Hurricanes: My guess is this team just doesn't have enough on defense. Cam Ward saw 2200 shots last season, and they won't make the playoffs if he sees that again. There is no reason to think Kaberle will help bring that number down.

12) Florida:  Someone said they would be good this season, I don't really remember why but I remember it being a convincing argument. ZZZ.. who cares about florida, I'm still sleeping on them

13) Winnepeg:  I have no idea if I spelled that right, and I don't care to look it up. This team has mediocre written all over it. Wheeler will fit right in.

14) Toronto: Good luck building that playoff contender around Phill the Thrill. At least they''ll get to keep their lottery pick this season.

15) Ottawa:  It will take an act of God to get these guys outta the cellar.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Regular Season predictions: Eastern Conference

It's Winnipeg, and I think they're a huge x-factor in the conference, given the change in environment, the emergenceof Pavalec and Mark Scheifele, and coach Noel. I could see them going anywhere from 7th to 15th.

Don't think they'll make the playoffs (though I hope so) but I will say they finish ahead of the Isles.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccoul. Show ccoul's posts

I agree with most of your post except the Rangers, they would switch  with Buffalo for the  9th spot.

Go Bruins

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i think the rangers will be the team that makes the big move this year. lots young talent along with veterans, and a top notch goalie. this team will finally perform to it's capability. like it or not lundqvist has the ability to have a season/ playoff similiar to what TT just had. if his team can score in front of him, they are real tough.
    1)boston
    2)washington
    3)rangers
    4)tampa bay
    5)philly
    6)buffalo
    7)montreal
    8)nj/nyi
    bottom line... rangers finally breakout, buffalo regains playoff footing, and isles and devils get themselves back in the mix. but in the end, the bruins win it all AGAIN!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Buffalo will finish alot higher than 9th.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Montreal misses the playoffs, by a bunch, leafs grab 8th.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

1)BRUINS
    2)Washington
    3)Philly
    4)TB
    5)Buffalo
    6)PIT
    7)MTL
    8)NYR

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

I predict that the Capitals will have the best record in the East and lose in either the 1st or 2nd round...I'm really going out on a limb on this one.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bsfannny. Show bsfannny's posts

This is what I came up with few wks ago. Doubt all eight from 10-11 make it, so gotta go out on a limb with a change.

Was, Bos, Pit, Buff, Phl, NYR, Tamp, NJ. Non-playoffs: NYI, Mon, Tor, Winn, Flr, Car, Ott

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Failures
    FLA, OTT, Jets

The bubble spots 8-11
    TOR, MTL , NYI, CAR, NJD

In the Post Season
    Boston
    PHI
    NYR
    WSH
    PITT
    TB
    BUF

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The Jets hopes, and they're slim, rest with their second line and the goalie
    http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/10/04/jets-scheifele-keeps-coach-smiling/
    An 18 year-old rook has made their second centre spot - that could be someting special, or a complete disaster.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

capitals
    flyers
    bruins
    sabres
    rangers
    penguins
    lightning
    devils

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Caps- top 3 are pretty much up for grabs as well, I say Caps take top spot because of revamped goaltending and Ovie improving on last years numbers.
    Bruins- lost some dead weight, will be hungry to repeat.
    Pens- if Crosby comes back, and strong, they are a lock in the top 3, if not they have to rely on Malkin and the supporting cast and are looking more like a middle of the division team. Phenomenal goaltending will make their life easier though.
    Sabres- great goaltending and a more experienced supporting cast. Good offseason pickups. I see them being a contender.
    Rangers- I really like the Richards pickup and the drop of Avery (pending)
    Lightning- I suspect goaltending will be an issue, again. I also think that the production they get out of their veterans will begin to taper. They lost a few key contributors as well.
    Flyers/Devils/Habs (it's a toss up from my view)- I think all 3 of these teams will be very close come end of the season. I think the Flyers gave up way too much during the off season, they basically blew up their roster. The Devils will have Parise and a HOF goalie that wants to prove he's still got it, dangerous combination. The Habs, well they are the Habs. They are frustrating because their team looks mediocre but somehow find a way to be on the fringe and make the playoffs.

Non-playoff contenders: 

Isles- still young, need more experience.
    Canes- Kaberle pickup did not help their need on defense.
    Jets- I like the move, think it will help them, but I still see them falling a tad short.
    Leafs- speaks for itself...
    Panthers- spent a lot of money on players that weren't worth it. A few good players went but not enough. Staying at the bottom of the pile.
    Sens- lost cause.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Capitals - Always the best regular season team in the East.
    Bruins - Train keeps a rollin all winter long into the spring!
    Rangers - Da big Oak from Slovakia likes his new center, keeps de Fonz happy.
    Lightning - Yzerman prys a good goalie away from a surprising team.
    Penguins - Maulkin gets comeback player of the year
    Flyers - Shaky start but they get it going. Simmonds has a good year.
    Sabres - What else ? Miller to the rescue...
    Devils- Parise makes Lou look into his empty wallet again and Broduer has a last run.

Markov injured and out for the season by mid December!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

the caps are the caps. they will be a dominant regular season and fail in the playoffs. they are built for this and will never be different with the personel they have. mike green needs to go if they have a chance

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I like your picks, I'll add some.

Eastern Conference Champ : Washington

Western Conference Champ: L.A Kings

Stanley Cup Champ:  Washington

Hart: Ovechkin

Calder: Niederreiter

Vezina: Lundqvist

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

^^insanity

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

2011-2012 Prediction

Team

2011-2012 PTS

(+/-) PTS

Pittsburgh

(+4)

Boston

(-2)

Washington

(-7)

Tampa Bay

(-3)

NY Rangers

(+5)

Philadelphia

(-9)

Montréal

EVEN

New Jersey

(+12)

Buffalo

(-6)

Carolina

(-1)

Toronto

(+4)

Winnipeg

(+5)

Ottawa

(+6)

NY Islanders

(+6)

Florida

EVEN

Here is the old link: http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a0d190bb9-6882-4397-9ce1-e66db723d396Discussion%3acbeb4e2f-a0f7-4ec5-aabe-970845e5cae0

Points in general will be distributed more evenly this year, as the lower-tiered teams in both the West and East seem to be making strides. I see more wins for the likes of Ottawa, NJ, NYI...so those points need to come from somewhere.

1 - PIT can only get better w/ health.

2 - BOS about the same, maybe a bit of a drop since it'll be hard to expect Thomas to have the same type of year he had last year. He'll still be great, but all-time SV%?

3 - WSH continues to tweak their style to make longer playoff runs, which means less regular season success.

4 - TB has better goaltending for a full season, plus continued success from the guys not names Vinny, Marty and Steve

5 - NYR seem vastly improved, and I really like their depth. Goalie is a stud.

6 - PHI - I see this as a transition year, and some slipping. They lost a lot of scoring punch, and it'll take them time to gel. Could be a playoff sleeper, though.

7 - MTL - Always solid. Always there. Never spectacular.

8 - NJ - No way they have the same start as last year, and the overall team is pretty good. I say they sneak up on people. Tough to play against as long as the goaltending holds up.

9 - BUF - Lots of good press, but waaaaaay too much money tied up in some of those player.s Just because they got mad cash doesn't mean they are magically 50% better players then they were last year. I don't get the hype.

10 - CAR - Meh. Staal's amazing and I'd take Cam Ward any day. They always seem to let the wrong guys go...guys that are #3 defencemen or 2nd line scoring wingers. Those types.

11 - TOR - I think they're better, but with lots of teams being better and the top teams not slipping much, there are only so many points to go around. I don't see them putting together a long point streak, which is what always separates the men from the boys.

12 - WPG - About the same. Maybe a few more wins at home due to the atmosphere, but minus a few due to travel. I gave them +5 points but it's not enough.

13 - Ottawa - Rebuilding, again. Loved their team late last year, but just don't have the talent.

14 - NYI - On paper, they should be better. However, they are still ridiculously young and can drop 4-5 in a row easily...at multiple times during the season. These mini-slumps always haunt them, and they don't have the leadership nor the goaltending to stop the bleeding.

15 - FLA - Simply awful. Move them to QC already.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

^^^ Thats a nice read^^^

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

In Response to Re: Regular Season predictions: Eastern Conference:
    the caps are the caps. they will be a dominant regular season and fail in the playoffs. they are built for this and will never be different with the personel they have. mike green needs to go if they have a chance
    Posted by bostonfan191646

Mike Green is not a Defenseman. He's a winger playing defense.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

I dont see Boston finishing in first..... UNLESS Horton comes back stronger and Thomas keeps playing like Thomas. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

1) Pittsburg- Crosby will come back, Malkin will have a healthy season & James Neal will reap the benefits of playing with these two on the PP. Fleury will be the reason if they finish 1st or drop to as low as 5th.

2) Buffalo- Love how everybody is so under estimating this team. They're going to come out like gangbusters. Enroth will be spelling Miller off a lot more this season. The B's will be chasing the Sabers all season & since the B's are playing 13 out their 1st 16 games at home. I think it's no longer a secret that an early road trip creates a bond. Regardless of whether the team has won a championship or not. A new year is a new year.

3) Washington- They'll go to the 3rd round in the play-offs, Vokun will see to that. The only way this team finishes higher is if Semin decides to listen to Matt Bradly. Or, if they learn to play better as a team like Pitts showed last season. And not rely so much on individual talent.

4) Boston- This isn't a knock against the B's. It's just that other teams have gotten better. Still think TT gets 12-15 shutouts this yr. The PP will be better & looking for big things from Seguin, Pouliet & Caron. Won't surprise me to see Marchand get 30g's this year.

5) New York Rangers- Providing Richards has his concussion issues solved. The question mark will be who can replace Marc Stalls 25 minutes a night. With one of the most consistent goalie's in the game. They'll be just fine

6) Philly- I said earlier this past summer that they lost too much leadership, but watching Jagr & Girioux on the PP in the pre-season? Pretty scary. Bryzie is NOT the answer in goal in the Play-offs.

7)  Montreal- With or without Markov the Habs will still have some defense issues. The Price will be right for Carey; but the way Budji looks so far; Carey will be played out by the time the post season arrives. It's no secret I don't like PK's antics; but IMO when he sticks to playing hockey. He's the most enjoyable defenceman to watch in the Eastern Conference

8) New Jersey- Marty's swan song. I think win or lose this is his last season. With Parise & Zajac healthy the Devils will wanna do all they can to give arguably the best goalie in the games history another play-off run.

TB will slide this year.

Toronto will find that you can have 2 James Reimer's in net @ the same time & the same results will happen.

Florida- My God! I feel soooo sorry for Jose Theodore.

Winnipeg- I think they'll win their 1st 4 home games. The players will get pumped having a home ice with the seats full.

Carolina- Cam Ward & Eric Stall have to put this team on their backs just to get 20 wins.

Ottawa-  Wont be much better than Flordia & with a real high percentage they'll be drafting Nail Yakupov in June.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Regular Season predictions: Eastern Conference : Mike Green is not a Defenseman. He's a winger playing defense.
    Posted by Hockguy0818

Green's defensive play was better last year then years past. Did his defensive play bring back memories of Rod Langway ? No but he toned down on playing like a rover. His game had  better balance to it. Can he improve his defensive game still ? Oh yeah.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

^^insanity
    Posted by bostonfan191646

I've seen worse.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Thanks Asmaha for the archived link:  It remains the same:

For what it is worth:

Pittsburgh- Healthy talent that won't be denied!
    Washington- Much improved with Ovie still hungry!
    Boston- Emerging youth will be out to prove the pundits wrong! It was not a fluke. 
    Montreal- Price will be a force, Subban will have some others to work with on defense.
    Tampa- Too old in goal, otherwise forwards will force the top teams.  
    Philadelphia- Too many changes, how do they always become media darlings even after so many changes!??
    Carolina- Personal favorite could fall from grace if NJ stirs. 
    Buffalo- Great goalie and nice off season moves. Ah decent ownership!
    NY Rangers- Great goalie and Richards with a team praying for ties.
    New Jersey- Marty, can he do a Thomas? Pretty decent team still! 
    Toronto- Flat lined again after last year's promise. 
    Winnepeg- Change in venue shine then dull in the finish like last year. 
    Ottawa- Rebuilding with some remaining talent.
    NY Islanders- Young talent may start gelling, goaltending yikes???
    Florida- Quebec?  

Sections
Shortcuts