Reilly Smith

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Reilly Smith

Now that the dust has settled, trying to better understand the B's new guys a little.  Intrigued by Craig Button's comment that Reilly Smith is the key to the deal for the Bruins.  Paraphrasing Button, he said that Smith was the best player in college hockey a couple of years ago and can be a 25-goal man in the NHL.

Had a real nice college career @ Miami University:

Last 2 seasons included: 58-44-102 in 77gp and a 2012 Hobey Baker Finalist.

Meet Reilly Smith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNLdPTiNlYU

Smith also wore #18 at Miami, hear it's available in Boston as well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Re: Reilly Smith

Ditto Crowls and the more I find out about these guys, the better I feel. I don't know if this was already published on the boards but last year's Hockey Prospectus had this to say about Reilly:

2. Reilly Smith, Right Wing
    2010-11 Ranking: 1st
    Date of birth: 04/01/1991
    Height: 6'0''
    Weight: 186
    Shoots: Left
    Statistics: 39 GP, 30 G, 48 P (Miami University-CCHA)
    Acquired: Third round, 69th overall in 2009 by Dallas

The Good: Smith has a good array of offensive tools to work with. He's an above-average skater, puck handler, and thinker that can push the pace in transition while showing impressive offensive instincts to make plays with the puck by himself or to his teammates. Smith has a gritty element to his game, too, as he fights for loose pucks, works hard on the backcheck, and can be a net front player. He also flashes a plus shot and can score from way out.

The Bad: Smith doesn't really have a glaring weakness other than some minor issues such as needing to bulk up a little more and being a little better in terms of his playmaking.

Projection: He could be an above-average second line winger.

If he can be that, I'd love to see him turn into a very good 3rd line wing!

Lets GO BRUINS!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:

Ditto Crowls and the more I find out about these guys, the better I feel. I don't know if this was already published on the boards but last year's Hockey Prospectus had this to say about Reilly:

2. Reilly Smith, Right Wing
    2010-11 Ranking: 1st
    Date of birth: 04/01/1991
    Height: 6'0''
    Weight: 186
    Shoots: Left
    Statistics: 39 GP, 30 G, 48 P (Miami University-CCHA)
    Acquired: Third round, 69th overall in 2009 by Dallas

The Good: Smith has a good array of offensive tools to work with. He's an above-average skater, puck handler, and thinker that can push the pace in transition while showing impressive offensive instincts to make plays with the puck by himself or to his teammates. Smith has a gritty element to his game, too, as he fights for loose pucks, works hard on the backcheck, and can be a net front player. He also flashes a plus shot and can score from way out.

The Bad: Smith doesn't really have a glaring weakness other than some minor issues such as needing to bulk up a little more and being a little better in terms of his playmaking.

Projection: He could be an above-average second line winger.

If he can be that, I'd love to see him turn into a very good 3rd line wing!

Lets GO BRUINS!!!

Hadn't seen this yet, thanks for sharing.  If he can be a top-9 winger, that is very encouraging.  If he can be a top-6 winger, that might be a home-run.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

His stats are good.  I was trying to find video and there wasn't much.  From what I saw he is a smallish forward with good hands and finish.  Likes to go to the net.  Not great speed, but good balance.  I think he's the type of player who will be hit or miss.  He's a good age, an age where the Bruins will know quickly what they have.  He's either going to break out very soon or be a bust.  His AHL stats were solid which is a good sign as far as his transition to pro hockey goes.  If he comes in and can be a 20+ goal guy, the Bruins will look much better in the trade.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Waiting for Fletch, who went to Miami of Ohio, to weigh in on this one. Here is a little college points comparison:

Toews biggest year at UND was 22 goals, 39 points in 42 games.

Parise at North Dakota 61 points 26 goals in 39 games.

Reilly 30 goals 54 points in 39 games at Miami.

Not to shabby in comparison. Again i've only seen Reilly a few times so I can't give a review like I did on Fraser but 30 goals in Div 1 college hockey is not chicken scratch.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Now that the dust has settled, trying to better understand the B's new guys a little.  Intrigued by Craig Button's comment that Reilly Smith is the key to the deal for the Bruins.  Paraphrasing Button, he said that Smith was the best player in college hockey a couple of years ago and can be a 25-goal man in the NHL.

Meet Reilly Smith:

Need your input Fletch...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Still waiting for Fletch to weigh in on Reilly Smith, here's Kirk Luedeke's Analysis:

Reilly Smith, RW — The Stars’ third-round selection in 2009 (Boston’s own third-rounder- Ryan Button was sent to the Lone Star State in this one) is an intriguing piece of this trade because of his speed and hands. Playing a similar style to departed Boston winger Rich Peverley, Smith is versatile and can play an effective bottom-six role, as he appeared in 37 games with Dallas (3-6-9) after racking up 35 points in 45 AHL games with Texas. He was particularly adept in shootouts, where he was able to dangle and find the back of the net from in tight.  A member of a top college program in the Miami University Redhawks, Smith is underrated. He’s not all that strong and has trouble in the tighter-checking game, but compensates with his slick elusiveness and ability to read the play and go where the puck will be.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Although I am still sad to see Tyler go, the more I hear about the 3 prospects the Bruins obtained the better I like the trade.  The Bruins got the best player currently and even if Seguin does become a superstar, in a couple of years they could have as many as 3 or 4 guys from the trade in the lineup.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

[QUOTE]

Meet Reilly Smith:

Need your input Fletch...

[/QUOTE]

Been on vacation!  Actually still back in Mass, but not easy to get internet on the lake (at DDs now).

I was excited to see they got Smith.  He's a goal scorer.  Not a great passer as I recall, but a pure scorer.  Lethal shot, good size, good instincts.

The other thing of interest (and forgive me if someone has already pointed this out) is that he played with Carter Camper in college.  I believe they were on the same line for a year or two.  If Smith isn't able to make the lineup in Boston, may he'll be paired with Camper again in Prov.  Since Camper is more of a passer and setup guy, they're a good combo.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

ohhhhhhh i just remembered who this guy is. He's good. I now endorse him on the third line RW spot. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

ohhhhhhh i just remembered who this guy is. He's good. I now endorse him on the third line RW spot. 

With a name like Smith, how could you forget him?

In reading hockey articles today I have seen three different opinions stating that each of Fraser, Smith, and Morrow are the best prospect and were key to the deal.  

While that is confusing, it is also kind of exciting.  It seems like each guy has some merit as a prospect and none are just throw ins to get the deal done.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

[QUOTE]

With a name like Smith, how could you forget him?

In reading hockey articles today I have seen three different opinions stating that each of Fraser, Smith, and Morrow are the best prospect and were key to the deal.  

While that is confusing, it is also kind of exciting.  It seems like each guy has some merit as a prospect and none are just throw ins to get the deal done.

[/QUOTE]

I saw smith play a bunch at Miami. he's a pretty clever goal scorer. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

As far as I can decipher from what I have seen so far - this kid is like Chris Kelly.

Good skater, good hockey sense, but I don't know about the goal scoring. He'll score a few and sometimes will get some in bunches.

Matt Fraser, on the other hand - looks good from far, but far from good. Yeah, he's been able to score at every level but at the NHL level it may be Murphy's Law with him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:

As far as I can decipher from what I have seen so far - this kid is like Chris Kelly.

Good skater, good hockey sense, but I don't know about the goal scoring. He'll score a few and sometimes will get some in bunches.

his junior year in college he scored 30 goals in 39 games....he's no chris kelly.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

[QUOTE]

his junior year in college he scored 30 goals in 39 games....he's no chris kelly.

[/QUOTE]

Last I looked, Miami of Ohio is not in the NHL, AHL or even ECHL. You could probably score 20 there.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Chris Kelly has never been a big time goal scorer. That's always what Smith has been

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If you think about what the Devils gave up for Kovalchuk as a comparable, it's kind of interesting.

Devils gave up Oduya, Bergfors, Cormier, a one and an exchange of twos.  So four players.  Bruins got back four players for Seguin, and if you pair them off, I'm not sure they didn't get more for a potential 50 goal guy than the Thrashers did for a proven 50 goal guy.

Eriksson > Oduya (top six winger, great two way player vs. solid but not spectacular D-man)

Morrow > Bergfors (potential top 4 D with PP skills vs. winger who was out of the NHL shortly after the trade)

Fraser > Cormier (physical grinder with a knack for scoring goals in the A vs. grinder with leadership skills and a history of making questionable hits who has never had much offensive upside)

Smith > Hayes (Hawks used the pick, eventually, on BC's Kevin Hayes.  Based on college scoring stats after three years of NCAA hockey, Smith smokes Hayes as a scoring prospect)

Now, someone will say that the Bruins also had to give up Peverley to get that bounty.  I look at it like this: how many times did people think the Bruins would have to eat that contract or pay someone to take it off their hands?  It's not far-fetched to say that the Cap space of deleting Peverley was also part of the return on trading Seguin.

Are you not entertained?!?!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

If you think about what the Devils gave up for Kovalchuk as a comparable, it's kind of interesting.

Devils gave up Oduya, Bergfors, Cormier, a one and an exchange of twos.  So four players.  Bruins got back four players for Seguin, and if you pair them off, I'm not sure they didn't get more for a potential 50 goal guy than the Thrashers did for a proven 50 goal guy.

Eriksson > Oduya (top six winger, great two way player vs. solid but not spectacular D-man)

Morrow > Bergfors (potential top 4 D with PP skills vs. winger who was out of the NHL shortly after the trade)

Fraser > Cormier (physical grinder with a knack for scoring goals in the A vs. grinder with leadership skills and a history of making questionable hits who has never had much offensive upside)

Smith > Hayes (Hawks used the pick, eventually, on BC's Kevin Hayes.  Based on college scoring stats after three years of NCAA hockey, Smith smokes Hayes as a scoring prospect)

Now, someone will say that the Bruins also had to give up Peverley to get that bounty.  I look at it like this: how many times did people think the Bruins would have to eat that contract or pay someone to take it off their hands?  It's not far-fetched to say that the Cap space of deleting Peverley was also part of the return on trading Seguin.

Are you not entertained?!?!

I think the biggest difference is that Seguin is locked up for 6 years at reasonable dollars, and Kovalchuk was a pending UFA

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Last I looked, Miami of Ohio is not in the NHL, AHL or even ECHL. You could probably score 20 there.

[/QUOTE]

wheat- from I've read and heard from others that have seen him, he doesn't sound anything like Chris Kelly.  That said, I would be pretty pleased if this kid plays over 600 NHL games and another 90 playoff games by the time he is 32.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Don't think Kelly is a good comparable either.  Smith may not ever play the NHL games that Kelly has, but he is a pure goal scorer.  He isn't a center either.  Nothing about his game would really remind you of Kelly.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Chris Kelly has never been a big time goal scorer. That's always what Smith has been

In what leagues has Smith been a big time scorer?

You do know Kelly scored 36 one year in the OHL? That is a much higher level than Miami.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Don't think Kelly is a good comparable either.  Smith may not ever play the NHL games that Kelly has, but he is a pure goal scorer.  He isn't a center either.  Nothing about his game would really remind you of Kelly.

[/QUOTE]

I think you guys must be thinking of some other Smith.

Look up the records for "Reilly" Smith. This guy has never been close to a big time scorer, anywhere.

He's a good skater, with some hockey sense and can score sometimes. Period. If that is not Chris Kelly - shoot me now.

By the way, this guy is a toothpick. He better put on some weight and keep it on.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

In what leagues has Smith been a big time scorer?

You do know Kelly scored 36 one year in the OHL? That is a much higher level than Miami.

[/QUOTE]

I was aware of that. I looked it up before I made my comment. .529 goals per game for kelly. .769 for smith. CCHA is a pretty good league, and those are impressive numbers. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Matt Fraser, on the other hand - looks good from far, but far from good. Yeah, he's been able to score at every level but at the NHL level it may be Murphy's Law with him.

Bitter beer for Don Barzini. 37 goals in the AHL is done every year by 22 year olds i'm told.

Sections
Shortcuts