Reilly Smith

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Reilly Smith

Well, I think it has all been said.  But if you start with the given fact that Reilly has not played in the NHL yet, then you can only compare him to an NHL player (Kelly) by reflecting on what he did at the lower levels.  To then point out that his experience isn't a good as playing in the NHL is kinda...redundant.  Thta's the nature of the comparison between a prospect and a player.

He was a sniper on the wing at Miami, not a checking line center.  I swear it.  His goal totals in the NHL may never be as good as Kelly and maybe he'll have to play a different style, but if asked to describe his style and merits as a prospects, it's scoring.  Great shot and a nose for the net.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

The only real stats we should be looking at are these:

Reilly Smith

2006-2007 Toronto Nationals Midget AAA

70 Games: 80G+ 77A = 157 pts

Plus 56 PIMs to boot.

I mean - he's a lock, right? ;)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

Reilly Smith

Plus 56 PIMs to boot.

he scored 80 goals in 70 games? yup, sounds like a defensive center to me

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

[QUOTE]

Reilly Smith

Plus 56 PIMs to boot.

[/QUOTE]

In Midgets, yes.

In case anyone wants to know, I had 41G and 52A in 50 games in Midgets myself. Maybe I should get a call???

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Reilly Smith

Plus 56 PIMs to boot.

[/QUOTE]

In Midgets, yes.

In case anyone wants to know, I had 41G and 52A in 50 games in Midgets myself. Maybe I should get a call???

[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what your midget program was like Asmaha but I'm guessing it may not have been quite as good. I also think Smith was probably still Bantam age when he put up those numbers considering he played junior B when he was 16.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

Jeeze...aren't there any goalies in midget? Or do they just use cardboard cutouts of Patrick Roy/Domenik Hasek that are 6" : 1' scale?

Or are there just midget defenseman?

Those are ridiculous goal totals...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Just having some fun.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Just having some fun.

I know you weren't really comparing yourself to Smith and I wasn't trying to call you out or anything like that either. I actually had to go look up his earlier numbers myself because I forgot he couldn't play in the CHL and the NCAA. Anyway, no disrespect intended. Cheers! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Reilly Smith

Plus 56 PIMs to boot.

[/QUOTE]

In Midgets, yes.

[/QUOTE]

i think you getting the call to play a chris kelly role is as likely as smith getting that call. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Now that the dust has settled, trying to better understand the B's new guys a little.  Intrigued by Craig Button's comment that Reilly Smith is the key to the deal for the Bruins.  Paraphrasing Button, he said that Smith was the best player in college hockey a couple of years ago and can be a 25-goal man in the NHL.

Had a real nice college career @ Miami University:

Last 2 seasons included: 58-44-102 in 77gp and a 2012 Hobey Baker Finalist.

Meet Reilly Smith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNLdPTiNlYU

Smith also wore #18 at Miami, hear it's available in Boston as well.

Key player in that deal is Joe Morrow

History

2006-07: Joe Morrow was chosen in the second round, 28th overall, of the 2007 WHL Bantam Draft by the Portland Winterhawks.

2007-08: Morrow made his first WHL appearance with the Winterhawks, going pointless in 1 game.

2008-09: In his WHL rookie season, Morrow played in 41 games for the Winterhawks. He picked up 7 assists in those games.

2009-10: In 65 games for the Winterhawks, Morrow scored 7 goals and added 24 assists for 31 points to go along with 59 penalty minutes. In 13 playoff games, Morrow notched 2 assists.

2010-11: In 60 games for the Winterhawks, Morrow scored 9 goals and added 40 assists for 49 points. In 20 playoff games, Morrow scored 6 goals and added 13 assists for 19 points. Morrow played for Team Cherry at the 2011 CHL Home Hardware Top Prospects Game. Morrow was chosen in the first round, 23rd overall, of the 2011 NHL Draft by the Pittsburgh Penguins.

2011-12: Morrow was so impressive in his first training camp with the Pittsburgh Penguins that he almost made the NHL roster out of training camp. However, concerned over a possible lack of ice time, the Penguins re-assigned the defensemen to the Portland Winterhawks of the WHL. Morrow picked up right where he left off with a powerhouse Portland team, posting 17 goals, 47 assists, and 99 penalty minutes in 62 regular season games. He had another impressive playoff performance as well, managing four goals and 13 assists in 22 games.

Talent Analysis

A mobile and aggressive two-way defenseman who can play in all situations, Joe Morrow has seen his stock rise meteorically since his draft year in 2010-11. Playing with poise and maturity far beyond his years, Morrow possesses the ability to retrieve the puck from his own zone and start the play up ice. His puck-distribution ability is top notch and he has a hard and heavy shot that typically hits the net. He also owns a high hockey IQ and does an excellent job of keeping his head up when moving the puck up ice and carrying it along the blue line.

Future

Morrow was dealt for a second time in 2013, from the Dallas Stars to the Boston Bruins, in the deal that has sent Tyler Seguin to the Stars.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://thehockeywriters.com/reilly-smith-busting-the-balance-of-a-blockbuster-trade/

Good article on Smith

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Good article, thanks San

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

[QUOTE]

Now that the dust has settled, trying to better understand the B's new guys a little.  Intrigued by Craig Button's comment that Reilly Smith is the key to the deal for the Bruins.  Paraphrasing Button, he said that Smith was the best player in college hockey a couple of years ago and can be a 25-goal man in the NHL.

Had a real nice college career @ Miami University:

Last 2 seasons included: 58-44-102 in 77gp and a 2012 Hobey Baker Finalist.

Meet Reilly Smith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNLdPTiNlYU

Smith also wore #18 at Miami, hear it's available in Boston as well.

Key player in that deal is Joe Morrow

History

2006-07: Joe Morrow was chosen in the second round, 28th overall, of the 2007 WHL Bantam Draft by the Portland Winterhawks.

2007-08: Morrow made his first WHL appearance with the Winterhawks, going pointless in 1 game.

2008-09: In his WHL rookie season, Morrow played in 41 games for the Winterhawks. He picked up 7 assists in those games.

2009-10: In 65 games for the Winterhawks, Morrow scored 7 goals and added 24 assists for 31 points to go along with 59 penalty minutes. In 13 playoff games, Morrow notched 2 assists.

2010-11: In 60 games for the Winterhawks, Morrow scored 9 goals and added 40 assists for 49 points. In 20 playoff games, Morrow scored 6 goals and added 13 assists for 19 points. Morrow played for Team Cherry at the 2011 CHL Home Hardware Top Prospects Game. Morrow was chosen in the first round, 23rd overall, of the 2011 NHL Draft by the Pittsburgh Penguins.

2011-12: Morrow was so impressive in his first training camp with the Pittsburgh Penguins that he almost made the NHL roster out of training camp. However, concerned over a possible lack of ice time, the Penguins re-assigned the defensemen to the Portland Winterhawks of the WHL. Morrow picked up right where he left off with a powerhouse Portland team, posting 17 goals, 47 assists, and 99 penalty minutes in 62 regular season games. He had another impressive playoff performance as well, managing four goals and 13 assists in 22 games.

Talent Analysis

A mobile and aggressive two-way defenseman who can play in all situations, Joe Morrow has seen his stock rise meteorically since his draft year in 2010-11. Playing with poise and maturity far beyond his years, Morrow possesses the ability to retrieve the puck from his own zone and start the play up ice. His puck-distribution ability is top notch and he has a hard and heavy shot that typically hits the net. He also owns a high hockey IQ and does an excellent job of keeping his head up when moving the puck up ice and carrying it along the blue line.

Future

Morrow was dealt for a second time in 2013, from the Dallas Stars to the Boston Bruins, in the deal that has sent Tyler Seguin to the Stars.

[/QUOTE]

stanley, there is a thread dedicated to joe morrow. you started it. this is a thread dedicated to reilly smith. if you want to copy and paste stuff, please keep it to stuff around reilly smith

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Good read San, really looking forward to seeing this kid play. 

Nice recognition of Miller back on D and dangle against the Wings (2nd clip).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

that was a good article, thanks san.