Remember this, part deux (with apologies re: wally's "defense" thread)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Remember this, part deux (with apologies re: wally's "defense" thread)

Remember in September when it seemed like the biggest roster decision going into the season was whether Krug, Hamilton or Bartkowski would be the odd man out/7th D?  Remember how that led to some wanting to trade the odd man then, probably for Bobby "4th line" Ryan?  Some were on the mark saying that all three would see enough ice due to injuries and rotation, but who would have foreseen all three firmly in the core of the D.  The last two games, they've gone from 5-6-7 to 2-3-4.

Bruins have played 10 D this year, 8 for 24 games or more, and every last one is even or better.  The three we discussed in Sept. have all improved, and improved noticeably.  Krug has had some struggles, but seems increasingly able to maintain position and use his size for leverage.  Bartkowski is more and more confident skating with the puck.  But it's Hamilton I've really noticed over the last few games.  A big part of his game in junior, part of his big point totals and overall control of games, was his forays below the dots.  I'm seeing him venture down low more and more at the right times and making good plays when he gets there.  His skating with the puck seems more and more controlled, effortless, like he's not trying to carve his name in the ice.  The only time I've seen him scramble and chase the puck recently was on Diaz's goal in the Vancouver game when he got on the wrong side of Sedin on the half-wall and then ended up in no man's land when the Canucks moved the puck around to Diaz for the shot.  Other than that, there's a bit of Larry Murphy in the way he's playing right now - the good Larry Murphy - and though like every Bruin fan ever, I want the big kid to use his size on people, I'll be happy if he learns to use his size within the game I see him playing now.

He looks for all the world like a rookie who only needs experience to become a #1D.  I honestly get that feeling from watching his game lately that I get watching Chara or Pronger or Lidstrom - that it's slowing down for him, and he's in control of the possibilities and just sorting his options the way you might peruse the menu in one of those diners that has 40 kinds of pancakes and 15 breakfast specials and free refills on coffee while you're making a choice - no rush.  I want to watch this kid develop in a B's jersey for the next decade, and probably two.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Re: Remember this, part deux (with apologies re: wally's

Hamilton went for one of those forays yesterday against the Sens without making sure he had coverage and it led to a Bobby "4th line" Ryan goal. But I do like Hamilton a lot and see him becoming the next Bruins "Big Man" on D.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Jesus Book, the title is TL/DR...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

By the way, I agree with all of it.  I love PC's habit of having 7 defensemen in the mix and there always seems enough opportunities for everyone as the season goes on.  Hamilton seems visibly more confident and his general poise seems to improve with every game.

Can't wait to see how it all plays out in May (June?)...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

By the way, I agree with all of it.  I love PC's habit of having 7 defensemen in the mix and there always seems enough opportunities for everyone as the season goes on.  Hamilton seems visibly more confident and his general poise seems to improve with every game.

Can't wait to see how it all plays out in May (June?)...

[/QUOTE]

Hopefully he doesnt filter down the stretch.  He definitely has the tools. Just needs to mentally bring it all together and do it on a consistant basis.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Everytime I see Bartkowksi I like him more and more. Like every young d-man he has had a few bumps but he does a lot of things very good. Seems to be a smart player. Too bad aboout Seidenberg becuase if he's healthy with these young guy improving the defensive corps as a whole has such a nice mix to it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Yup i remember all to well our concerns back in september, what a difference a few months make.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Bartkowski is a 4th-year pro and 25 years-old.  He is not young.  Neither is Miller; also 25 and a 3rd-year pro.  Heck, they are basically McQauid's age.  B's should be expecting some ROI on them now, just not sure there is much growth left in their game.  Nothing wrong with being a serviceable bottom-pair d-man.

Young is Hamilton (20), Krug (22) maybe even Trotman (23).  There is room for these players to grow, haven't hit their respective ceiling.

I like Krug, but am really bullish on Hamilton.  Like book, I see him as #1 d-man down the road and it may not be that far away.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I like the "good Larry Murphy" comparison on Hamilton. The player on the Bruins with better passing hands is Krejci. His decision to get the puck off his stick is quick and very precise has been very impressive. I'm Ok with Hamilton and Krug getting caught sometimes on pinches because it means they are being aggressive on offense.

How did Krug and Bartkowski get into the lineup last season again ?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Hamilton was always going to be the one to rise to the top. He has too much talent not to.

Too many posters want him crashing and banging. For what? To end his career early?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hamilton was always going to be the one to rise to the top. He has too much talent not to.

Too many posters want him crashing and banging. For what? To end his career early?

[/QUOTE]

Silly isn't it ?......................He is still young like Spooner.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

BFiNJ - I don't remember Hamilton making a foray on that play.  He lost the battle for the puck on a pinch attempt, and it's as much the result of a bad read by Campbell who also tries to keep the puck in rather than stay with Ryan, who flies the zone with Conacher.  Yes, Hamilton probably needs to play off on that one because Campbell is deeper in the zone than two Senators, and I'm sure Julien will point that out.  In any case, it's different than what I'm talking about which is more the kind of play he made to draw a penalty, walking around the D and taking the puck below the faceoff dot and forcing the Senators to take a penalty.  Ditto the goal he scored a few games ago by skating around the net and then firing a sort of loose wrap-around.

shupe - This is kinda my point.  Since returning from his last injury layoff, I think he's been playing with more confidence than I've seen since he joined the NHL, and I'm seeing it particularly in the re-emergence of elements of his junior game that made him such an enticing player.  The kid has only now played the equivalent of a full NHL slate, and I'm encouraged by what I see to the point that I'm not throwing up yeah-buts about his potentially faltering etc.  He's playing with confidence, that confidence is growing, and his game is looking more and more like what I hoped to see but was cautious about expecting.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

BFiNJ - I don't remember Hamilton making a foray on that play.  He lost the battle for the puck on a pinch attempt, and it's as much the result of a bad read by Campbell who also tries to keep the puck in rather than stay with Ryan, who flies the zone with Conacher.  Yes, Hamilton probably needs to play off on that one because Campbell is deeper in the zone than two Senators, and I'm sure Julien will point that out.  In any case, it's different than what I'm talking about which is more the kind of play he made to draw a penalty, walking around the D and taking the puck below the faceoff dot and forcing the Senators to take a penalty.  Ditto the goal he scored a few games ago by skating around the net and then firing a sort of loose wrap-around.

shupe - This is kinda my point.  Since returning from his last injury layoff, I think he's been playing with more confidence than I've seen since he joined the NHL, and I'm seeing it particularly in the re-emergence of elements of his junior game that made him such an enticing player.  The kid has only now played the equivalent of a full NHL slate, and I'm encouraged by what I see to the point that I'm not throwing up yeah-buts about his potentially faltering etc.  He's playing with confidence, that confidence is growing, and his game is looking more and more like what I hoped to see but was cautious about expecting.

[/QUOTE]

If you remember watching pronger and phillips when they first started they had growing pains as well.  Its the most difficult position to play.  Its also the easiest position for teams to exploit if its not strong.  I think his progression is very strong considering his age.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bartkowski is a 4th-year pro and 25 years-old.  He is not young.  Neither is Miller; also 25 and a 3rd-year pro.  Heck, they are basically McQauid's age.  B's should be expecting some ROI on them now, just not sure there is much growth left in their game.  Nothing wrong with being a serviceable bottom-pair d-man.

Young is Hamilton (20), Krug (22) maybe even Trotman (23).  There is room for these players to grow, haven't hit their respective ceiling.

I like Krug, but am really bullish on Hamilton.  Like book, I see him as #1 d-man down the road and it may not be that far away.

[/QUOTE]

Not everyone develops at age 25 or 25, you can say Bart and Miller ate 3 or 4 yr pros, but imo playing in the ahl is more for developing player and its not until you get some time in the big leagues to really show that improvement and sometimes it takes a bit longer that we hope for. Age has nothing to do with developing to your poyential, its just an expectation put out there for these kids that adds too much prssure. Tim Thomas was how old before he really showed his stuff ?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to wallydouglas' comment:

Not everyone develops at age 25 or 25, you can say Bart and Miller ate 3 or 4 yr pros, but imo playing in the ahl is more for developing player and its not until you get some time in the big leagues to really show that improvement and sometimes it takes a bit longer that we hope for. Age has nothing to do with developing to your poyential, its just an expectation put out there for these kids that adds too much prssure. Tim Thomas was how old before he really showed his stuff ?

[/QUOTE]

Good point on Miller's longer development. Different time frames for different players.

Maybe the two underachievers known as Tommy Cross or Lars Volden will follow the same path...... or maybe not.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.sochi2014.com/en/ice-hockey-teams-norway-gender-men

You just watch Volden keep teams from scoring double digits on Norway.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I don't think Volden's draft rights are Bruin property any longer, but I can't figure out why.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Red, explained it and it made sense. It has to do with new CBA rules and time limits to get the player over. Joking...Volden won't even hold the door open, won't get out of his shiny suit.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Volden is another late-round, long-term project in goal for the Bruins. He has real talent, but he’s a long way away from the NHL and there are a lot of developmental hurdles for him to cross between where he is now and the NHL. The next step on his path is to challenge for a spot on Espoo’s senior team this season

Lars Volden (born July 26, 1992) is a Norwegian professional ice hockey goaltender who currently plays for Espoo Blues of the SM-liiga.[1] He was drafted 181st overall by Boston in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. On January 7, 2014 Volden was named to Norway's national ice hockey team that will compete in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi

I dont find anywhere that hes not still a Bs prospect

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bartkowski is a 4th-year pro and 25 years-old.  He is not young.  Neither is Miller; also 25 and a 3rd-year pro.  Heck, they are basically McQauid's age.  B's should be expecting some ROI on them now

[/QUOTE]

Yes Bartkowski is 25 and Miller 26, but they spent 2 and 4 years playing NCAA hockey respectively. Also theyve played 62 and 24 pro games respectively. Its totally unfair to suggest they have anywhere NEAR reached their potential or should be considered veterans of even pro-hockey.
    Give credit where credit is due, they're late to the dance and I think have more poise than they SHOULD given their lack of pro experience.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to wallydouglas's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Volden is another late-round, long-term project in goal for the Bruins. He has real talent, but he’s a long way away from the NHL and there are a lot of developmental hurdles for him to cross between where he is now and the NHL. The next step on his path is to challenge for a spot on Espoo’s senior team this season

Lars Volden (born July 26, 1992) is a Norwegian professional ice hockey goaltender who currently plays for Espoo Blues of the SM-liiga.[1] He was drafted 181st overall by Boston in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. On January 7, 2014 Volden was named to Norway's national ice hockey team that will compete in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi

I dont find anywhere that hes not still a Bs prospect

[/QUOTE]

The Bruins own site doesn't list him as in the system.

Drafting a player usually gives you a year of exclusive negotiating rights and the right to renew for a second year.  For NCAA players, you have until July 1st of the year they cease to be NCAA players to sign them or they become UFAs.  It used to be that Euro players who chose to stay in Europe/Russia, NHL teams kept their rights indefinitely so that, say, Peter Forsberg couldn't just stay home for two years and then decide to sell his services to the highest bidder.  I wonder what the precise change was?

Sections
Shortcuts