Remembering #4

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Remembering #4

The anniversary of retiring Bobby Orr's number was this week ( January 9 , 1979 ). This link has a video with greats such as Bobby Hull, Milt Schmidt, The Chief and Bobby Clarke talking about him. The stories they told gave me goosebumps. Orr is the biggest reason why I fell in love with hockey.

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2012/1/12/2698055/this-week-in-bruins-history-bruins-retire-number-4

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Re: Remembering #4

In Response to Remembering #4:
    [QUOTE]The anniversary of retiring Bobby Orr's number was this week ( January 9 , 1979 ). This link has a video with greats such as Bobby Hull, Milt Schmidt, The Chief and Bobby Clarke talking about him. The stories they told gave me goosebumps. Orr is the biggest reason why I fell in love with hockey. http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2012/1/12/2698055/this-week-in-bruins-history-bruins-retire-number-4
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]
    Loved #4, even when he played against the Leafs you just couldn't keep your eyes off the guy.

Still the best player ever in my opinion hands down.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Remembering #4:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Remembering #4 : Loved #4, even when he played against the Leafs you just couldn't keep your eyes off the guy. Still the best player ever in my opinion hands down.
    Posted by LoveRealHockey[/QUOTE]

I live in Leafland like you did/do LRH. Growing up there were a lot of Leaf fans who despised Orr. Probably because of the reasons why us Bruin fans loved him. He controlled games with his dominant abilities !

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

turn it to 4:00 ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbzkt0MGd78

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]turn it to 4:00 --- /> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbzkt0MGd78
    Posted by Karl-Hungus[/QUOTE]

Fantastic . Goosebumps again !

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

i was in Dallas, on Business on the Sunday game against St' Louis when Orr pulled off that amazing across the goal shot, still remember missing some meetings to watch that final game. Really upset when Orr left for Chicago.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

[QUOTE]The anniversary of retiring Bobby Orr's number was this week ( January 9 , 1979 ). This link has a video with greats such as Bobby Hull, Milt Schmidt, The Chief and Bobby Clarke talking about him. The stories they told gave me goosebumps. Orr is the biggest reason why I fell in love with hockey. http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2012/1/12/2698055/this-week-in-bruins-history-bruins-retire-number-4

Me too. Thanks for sharing this.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Never gets old - I always enjoy the L.Macdonald story. The greatest ever was a Bruin -
    Bobby Orr waving the banner last year -goosebumps...wow!!!!!!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

NOBODY DID IT BETTER THAN #4!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

What I don't understand is this...Bobby Orr was arguably the greatest player to ever lace skates in the NHL...for certain the league's best ever defenseman....so why is it that the NHL gives Wayne Gretsky the distinct honor of having his number '99' retired across the NHL but it doesn't provide the same honor to #4?

Some might argue that he only played 10 years before succombing to injuries, but he did more in those 10 years for the NHL and Boston than anyone could ever imagine.

That's just one longtime hockey fans opinion.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]What I don't understand is this...Bobby Orr was arguably the greatest player to ever lace skates in the NHL...for certain the league's best ever defenseman....so why is it that the NHL gives Wayne Gretsky the distinct honor of having his number '99' retired across the NHL but it doesn't provide the same honor to #4? Some might argue that he only played 10 years before succombing to injuries, but he did more in those 10 years for the NHL and Boston than anyone could ever imagine. That's just one longtime hockey fans opinion.
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]

I noticed that also when I see D-men on other teams wearing number4 and it just doesn't look right. 
    Hey Chowdah, what number is Hamilton wearing these days ?  Wink 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]What I don't understand is this...Bobby Orr was arguably the greatest player to ever lace skates in the NHL...for certain the league's best ever defenseman....so why is it that the NHL gives Wayne Gretsky the distinct honor of having his number '99' retired across the NHL but it doesn't provide the same honor to #4? Some might argue that he only played 10 years before succombing to injuries, but he did more in those 10 years for the NHL and Boston than anyone could ever imagine. That's just one longtime hockey fans opinion.

That's always bothered me.

Not usually mentioned;

Orr was playing on that tiny sheet of ice in the old garden, if his home rink was full sized he would have had a lot more room to roam around and a lot less traffic.

Orr's defensive skills were out of this world.  I don't think they kept stats on blocked shots back then, but he blocked a ton of shots. 
    I can recall other players plucking sure goals off of the line spectacularly once or twice in their careers, but Orr saved some sure goals more than anyone else I can think of.

Orr's hands were quick and could fight really well, no McSorely or CementCo bodyguards needed.

And can anyone on the planet dispute that he provided the greatest entertainment value of any hockey player ever?   He was a human highlight reel.  Unquestionably the most dramatic goal of all time belongs to him.

#4 should be retired across the league out of respect.  They just retired #99 because it was convenient because it's such a weirdo number, especially back in the day when numbers over 35 were unusual.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Remembering #4 : I noticed that also when I see D-men on other teams wearing number4 and it just doesn't look right.  Hey Chowdah, what number is Hamilton wearing these days ?   
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

He wears #27 for the Ice Dogs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from den666. Show den666's posts

I remember when I got Bobby Orr's rookie card. He had a brush cut way back then. In Orr's first year, the Bruins had a game coming up with the Canadiens and Montreal's tough guy defenseman, Ted Harris, said that he would whoop Bobby Orr with one hand tied behind his back. Well, the next game Boston and Montreal met, Harris went after Orr. Let me just say that he never tried that again.
    Great games back then between the Habs and Bruins with Orr, Esposito, Hodge, Bucyk, Sanderson, Cheevers and friends on one end and Dryden, Béliveau, Cournoyer, Henri Richard and company on the opposing end. Man, I used to LIVE for those games!Response to Remembering #4:

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from golden9x2. Show golden9x2's posts

undeniably the best....one would have to be one heck of a big a-h*o*l*e and/or a Montreal fan to say otherwise....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMCI. Show KMCI's posts

Leaving it unretired is better, kids can still dream of making the NHL and wearing the most magical # of all time.

He was just plain super without really trying, he coasted by players with no real effort.

GOAT

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Chowda, I was beginning to be a hockey fan in upstate NY circa 1960s.  When me Dad moved back to N.H. well I was a Bs fan forever.  The Bs were on the rise like now.  Bobby Orr was the best making all others seem mortal.  Yes, it was an expansion time but he revolutionized the game. Ten years later Gretsky was the beneficiary to have a defenseman to carry the puck to him in Coffey.  And the debate whether he could play now is moot, if he had the training, medical support, and along with his desire, well he would still be the greatest.  One of Don Cherry's original books mentioned Orr as compared to Eddie Shore in that they skated with the laces loose and cut the ice with hard slicing strides, now that is a testimonial.  Orr is beyong comparison. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from den666. Show den666's posts

From a French-Canadian Habs fan : Orr was the best. End of story.In Response to Re: Remembering #4:
    [QUOTE]undeniably the best....one would have to be one heck of a big a-h*o*l*e and/or a Montreal fan to say otherwise....
    Posted by golden9x2[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TiPit. Show TiPit's posts

What make #4 the greatest and, with all due respect:
    When the B's won the cup in 1970, the other D men playing with Orr were not that good.  Still, #4 won the cup by himself.   Greztky had a lot more skill players with the Oilers. 

Another reason, he won the scoring title, despite playing on one knee and, like someone else said, with no body guard, he spent a lot more time than #99 in the penalty box and still won the scoring championship.

Not only Orr is the best ever, he made the players on his team much better 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

http://youtu.be/MSDw3tMa7ec

All that extraordinary skill and extraordinary humility. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]What make #4 the greatest and, with all due respect: When the B's won the cup in 1970, the other D men playing with Orr were not that good.  Still, #4 won the cup by himself.   Greztky had a lot more skill players with the Oilers.  Another reason, he won the scoring title, despite playing on one knee and, like someone else said, with no body guard, he spent a lot more time than #99 in the penalty box and still won the scoring championship. Not only Orr is the best ever, he made the players on his team much better 
    Posted by TiPit[/QUOTE]

With all due respect, then you did not watch the team in 1970...because they were not just Orr, even though he was the leader and a superstar...the supporting cast was pretty good also, including the other defensemen. They may not have been superstars too but they were solid on the defensive end...

...lets see there was the Smith brothers (Dallas and Rick) who weren't really brothers, and Don Awrey and then Bill Spears (the weak link)...too bad they lost Teddy Green in the preseason thanks to Wayne Ma-ki.

The line-up had two solid scoring lines and one checking line:
    1. Esposito, Hodge, Cashman
    2. Stanfield, Bucyk, McKenzie
    3. Sanderson, Westfall and Carlton/Bailey

Then the goalies led by Gerry Cheevers, along with Eddie Johnston.

All and all this was a decent supporting cast to help Orr get 100 points as a defensemen in 1971.

Orr was the greatest, but he did have a pretty good team around him too.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Remembering #4 : With all due respect, then you did not watch the team in 1970...because they were not just Orr, even though he was the leader and a superstar...the supporting cast was pretty good also, including the other defensemen. They may not have been superstars too but they were solid on the defensive end... ...lets see there was the Smith brothers (Dallas and Rick) who weren't really brothers, and Don Awrey and then Bill Spears (the weak link)...too bad they lost Teddy Green in the preseason thanks to Wayne Ma-ki. The line-up had two solid scoring lines and one checking line: 1. Esposito, Hodge, Cashman 2. Stanfield, Bucyk, McKenzie 3. Sanderson, Westfall and Carlton/Bailey Then the goalies led by Gerry Cheevers, along with Eddie Johnston. All and all this was a decent supporting cast to help Orr get 100 points as a defensemen in 1971. Orr was the greatest, but he did have a pretty good team around him too.

re: Awrey and Smith.
    Good - not great defensively.
    Terrible offensively. 
    Awrey - his team mates said he if he ever had a breakaway he'd drop the puck and hope and black and gold uniform was behind him.
    Dallas Smith - couldn't break a window with his shot.

Yes.  I did watch the team back then, very closely.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GillesGilbert. Show GillesGilbert's posts

Great stuff.

Sections
Shortcuts