Remove the stanchion please NHL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

Remove the stanchion please NHL

What purpose does it serve really, other than to make routine hits/plays along the boards extremely dangerous?  Does it keep the benches from yapping at each other,  or attacking each other?  Is there any other reason to keep the glass there?

I suggest that the NHL makes a rule (similar to the automatic suspension for leaving the bench) for entering the area between benches, and removes the stanchion altogether.  For the sake of the players' safety.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Remove the stanchion please NHL

It keeps the score keepers from getting hit by sticks, pucks, skates, and Sean Avery.

Why not just pad the thing?

This isn't the first time this has happened.

I remember Modano getting clobbered in much the same way.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

LOL,  I thought the score keepers were between the penalty boxes.....  But I assume you're right, is there another way to protect the scorekeepers?

Because the padding doesnt really do much.

EDIT: just watched the video and there does not seem to be anything or anyone behind the stanchion.  Where I play there is no stanchion, just an empty area that I assume is there to keep the teams apart from each other.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I think it is already padded BadHab. There has to be a better way...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

It had to take someone to really get hurt for them to reliaze it's dangerous ?
    Sure this has been there for years but today they are much faster, pickup more speed since they removed two line pass and the big mobile D are quick.

That between the bench BS with McGuire or that RDS guy Joel Bouchard must stop !  It just adds 2more "stanchions" along the boards.
    Get rid of them also !

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't know why they can't make it rounded at the edges, so you'd have a better chance of glancing off of it instead of catching it flush in the head like Pacioretti did.  That and a little extra padding and he probably only has a headache today.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

Fletch,
    I'm sure that would help, I just don't see a good reason to even have the stanchion there in the first place, so why not just get rid of it?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Agreed, just get rid of it

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Use a net or a clear plastic curtain or something perhaps? Instead of hard plexiglass and a turnbuckle?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Remove the stanchion please NHL:
    [QUOTE]Fletch, I'm sure that would help, I just don't see a good reason to even have the stanchion there in the first place, so why not just get rid of it?
    Posted by Eric66[/QUOTE]

They should start by removing that publicity stunt called " Between the glass " crap !  NBC and TSN (and the copycats) will survive without it. That's 2 less at the Bell Centre and other arenas that have this.
    The ACC in Toronto does not have this therefore 2 less "stanchions"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Unless you have continuous glass around the entire ice surface, player benches included, you can't eliminate it.  There has to be a place where the glass comes to an abrupt end.  The question is how to make it safer.  Some sort of shock absorber type device may work.  Similar to the crash barriers you see on some freeways, if a car hits them the collapse on themselves taking a lot of the energy out of the collision.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Remove the stanchion please NHL : They should start by removing that publicity stunt called " Between the glass " crap !  NBC and TSN (and the copycats) will survive without it. That's 2 less at the Bell Centre and other arenas that have this. The ACC in Toronto does not have this therefore 2 less "stanchions"
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

But how would they conduct post-whistle interviews with the coaches without it?.....lol!!

Besides, let's be honest we neither cared they were there or even knew what they were officially called before this incident.......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Wrapping the hard edge in a type of bubble wrap might work.  Something like fist-sized bubbles, a couple layers deep, engineered to pop at just below the force needed to cause serious injury.  The popping would disperse some of the momentum, and make a wonderful noise.  It would probably look ridiculous, but that's the first idea I have.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]Wrapping the hard edge in a type of bubble wrap might work.  Something like fist-sized bubbles, a couple layers deep, engineered to pop at just below the force needed to cause serious injury.  The popping would disperse some of the momentum, and make a wonderful noise.  It would probably look ridiculous, but that's the first idea I have.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

Hexagonal sheets of plastic in like bubble shape that extends  maybe 1.5feet away from the glass in that location that acts as a sort of crumple zone might be enough to catch players before they hit the metal post.

Also they could recede the stanchion back 18in from the ice surface making it less likely to go full bore into  it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

why not have a few playboy bunnies having pillow fights- whenever a play comes close to them they offer their pillows-to soften the hit, followed by a lap dance. i'm serious... this would work, not mention provide entertainment value, and make that $100 ticket seem worth it

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

[QUOTE]Unless you have continuous glass around the entire ice surface, player benches included, you can't eliminate it.  There has to be a place where the glass comes to an abrupt end.  The question is how to make it safer.  Some sort of shock absorber type device may work.  Similar to the crash barriers you see on some freeways, if a car hits them the collapse on themselves taking a lot of the energy out of the collision.   
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]

That's a good idea man, I was actually thinking of something like that, like they use in road races, walls with tires behind them.  Something much smaller, but of the same principle, could work.

As far as having to have an area where the glass meets the bench, that's true also, but when you remove the stanchion, you reduce those spots from four to two at least.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

[QUOTE]why not have a few playboy bunnies having pillow fights- whenever a play comes close to them they offer their pillows-to soften the hit, followed by a lap dance. i'm serious... this would work, not mention provide entertainment value, and make that $100 ticket seem worth it
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

LOL, it's settled then, let's go with this.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]It keeps the score keepers from getting hit by sticks, pucks, skates, and Sean Avery. Why not just pad the thing? This isn't the first time this has happened. I remember Modano getting clobbered in much the same way.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

modano is just one of many to have it happen. the tape the bruins run in between the periods with the big hits from around the league has like 1 of these stanchion hits out of 10 hits total. this has been a problem for years.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

You just need to put better padding. Pillow soft padding 

the only other way to avoid this is to have window all around the building. Players wouldn't be able to jump "over" though

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

If the arenas want to keep a divider between the teams, I have two suggestions.

1. Eliminate the glass on top of the boards altogether and keep a single pane of glass perpendicular to the boards. The glass would be less rigid in this position and would alos be less likely be struck along its length (ie; over the boards).

2. Leave the configuration as it is but taper the glass from full height in the middle to board level by the benches. Something like this:  /|\
    The tapered edge still needs to be padded. but wouldn't players be more likely to glance off rather than hitting it square?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]Wrapping the hard edge in a type of bubble wrap might work.  Something like fist-sized bubbles, a couple layers deep, engineered to pop at just below the force needed to cause serious injury.  The popping would disperse some of the momentum, and make a wonderful noise.  It would probably look ridiculous, but that's the first idea I have.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

Actually something very similar to that has been brought into the Whistler Luge track for this season( the same track where that Georgian racer was klled last year prior to the Olympics) its several layers of large air filled pockets. When they are impacted each pocket breaks successivey, dispersing the energy of the impact. It's all based over a thick foam pad. If it can protect those guys with how fast they're going (around 90 mph) it'll protect a hockey player.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I am not an expert on glass for sure but in a long conversation the other day, my brother said "the NFL moved the goal posts back to stop players from being hurt". Do the same for the penalty box and scorers table. Move them back one row with glass still protecting the penalized players and scorers yet away from the ice. The remaining stanchions could an engineering application of what Davinator mentioned and padding like Red mentioned.  

Bettman would be prudent to name a commission to study those issues to quell the storm of debate and media frenzy. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]If the arenas want to keep a divider between the teams, I have two suggestions. 1. Eliminate the glass on top of the boards altogether and keep a single pane of glass perpendicular to the boards. The glass would be less rigid in this position and would alos be less likely be struck along its length (ie; over the boards). 2. Leave the configuration as it is but taper the glass from full height in the middle to board level by the benches. Something like this:  /|\ The tapered edge still needs to be padded. but wouldn't players be more likely to glance off rather than hitting it square?
    Posted by Davinator[/QUOTE]

I think you have a solution.  

I would modify that slightly.

Everywhere you used to have a 90 degree angle, replace it with a 30 degree angle, and extend it at least 4 feet into the bench, scorekeeping, timekeeping areas. 

Padding on the edge would not be necessary because no one could reach that edge unless he were to be thrown  over the boards entirely and in that case there will be an injury no matter what you have.

Padding on the glass itself would not be necessary, actually it would be a problem, instead of the player glancing off the glass he might stick a little because of the padding.

It's a cheap solution and quite effective.  Every rink would reasonably be able to make the modification.  You could just use the existing glass and angle it, along with whatever it is currently attached to.

Geez, talk about safety...
    Any MA people here who remember the old rink in Medford?  The one converted from an MBTA garage?  The downstairs rink had 2 posts on each blue line holding up the ceiling.  Keep your head up!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbag0991222. Show dbag0991222's posts

Only remove the stanchion when we play any other team.  Put it back when we play Monrteal!  Wooo!!!  Yup!

In Response to Remove the stanchion please NHL:
    [QUOTE]What purpose does it serve really, other than to make routine hits/plays along the boards extremely dangerous?  Does it keep the benches from yapping at each other,  or attacking each other?  Is there any other reason to keep the glass there? I suggest that the NHL makes a rule (similar to the automatic suspension for leaving the bench) for entering the area between benches, and removes the stanchion altogether.  For the sake of the players' safety.
    Posted by Eric66[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

Just watched Barry Melsrose on ESPN, he said there was going to be a lot of people that want the stanchion removed, but that it needs to be there otherwise there would be fights between the benches.

Really? that's it?  I thought there HAD to be a better reason for it than that.  They've got automatic suspensions for leaving the bench during a fight, you could do the same for fighting between benches.  Or you could just put a piece of material that isnt super hard like the glass in its place, like has been suggested here.