Rene Rancourt

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

Rene Rancourt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSOt8GgYx1w

Not the greatest singer in the world but he treats the anthem with class and dignity. Such a huge difference to some over-rated pop star (I'm thinking pretty much anyone at the superbowl and Stephen Tyler first game at the Garden).

I'm not American but I still get a shiver down the spine when he gets to 'our flag was still there'.

Truly a class act.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from palealeman. Show palealeman's posts

Re: Rene Rancourt

rene is showing his age, but i still enjoy his energy before, during, and after the song.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Love the man. An institution. 
    Would love to hear him cover Leornard Cohen's 'Suzanne'. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Uhh, excuse me, but Rene Rancourt has a TERRIBLE voice.  He murders the anthem.  His vibrato is fake-- done with annoying pulses of breath rather than naturally from the larynx.  Anyone who knows anything about music should be horribly embarrassed by his grotesque renditions.   It's baffling why a sophisticated city with a rich music heritage would tolerate him.

Compare to game six in Montreal, where an assemblage of brass players from the Montreal Symphony gave a polished and lively rendition of both anthems.  Or any other stadium where top local talent is utilized. Ottawa often has a true tenor....superb..

Rene Rancourt has been doing the same routine for some thirty years. Sometimes I wonder if he's not a hologram or latex-over-frame fabrication.   He never looks any older!!  

When Rene hits that climatic "FREE...EEEE...EEEEE",  we all break out laughing.  Maybe that's the best reason to keep him.....hilarity...!!  He's so bad, he's good!!  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccoul. Show ccoul's posts

Rene Rancourt

Agree, I love the Bruins, But Rene has to go, If  Gordie Howe was still playing , we'd say  the  same to him,  time to hangup your hat, times up. I am not a Bostonian, but i am convince that there must be  a few  singers in this  lovely City that can  bring it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

I love Rene. When my GF's grandmother was in a home Rene was one of the performing acts. Went and saw it haha with her.

I also randomly saw him at a McDonalds once too. I dont care if his "vibrato" is fake. He loves the national anthem and sings it with emotion, without overdoing it like so many singers do.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

he's part of the family. personally, i love the guy- alright, i really love the fist-pump! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

no way renee stays are you kidding me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Rene is the bomb.  He reminds me of Will Ferrel's Bob Goulet.  I wanna hear him do "Thong Song".

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonbruins69. Show bostonbruins69's posts

In Response to Re: Rene Rancourt:
    he's part of the family. personally, i love the guy- alright, i really love the fist-pump! 
    Posted by adkbeesfan

Right!  The fist pump is the best!  Especially as he's walking out you can see him still pointing at people followed by the fist pump.   He may not have a good voice at all but I think he gets the place going and shows his passion.  I do have to say he should lay off the booze.  It looks like his nose is going to fall off.  Haven't seen that dead of a nose since mj.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

Met Rene before game 2 as he rolled up in his car. He pointed to his throat and refused to speak (what a pro). He took some pictures with fans and seems like a nice man.
    I must admit though that he is consistently off key when singing the national anthem. Listen in particular when he sings "Red Glare," "Bombs bursting..." and "of the Brave"... It is tough on the ears I think it's time for the Bruins to move on. I will also add that the man who sang at the Bell Center for games 3 and 4 has a fantastic voice. Big and booming.
    While we are on the subject the organ player may ned to be replaced also. He has a hard time playing in time with Rene. Also listen to the notes during "at the twighlights...." and "were so gallantly...." he plays a minor chord there instead of a major and it throws off the feel of the song.
    Bring in the guy who sang the national anthem for the Hartford Whalers. That guy had soul.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rockett7. Show rockett7's posts

When all is said and done Rene should have a Banner hanging from the Garden Rafters...Enough Said!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

True passion wiyh a fist pump, who cares about the voice.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WillsBruins. Show WillsBruins's posts

Love the guy.
    Since when does everything have to be so polished. Like that fat operadude in Vancouver or the bloody Montreal Symphony.
    Rene is like the old Hockey organs, he stays!

In Response to Rene Rancourt:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSOt8GgYx1w Not the greatest singer in the world but he treats the anthem with class and dignity. Such a huge difference to some over-rated pop star (I'm thinking pretty much anyone at the superbowl and Stephen Tyler first game at the Garden). I'm not American but I still get a shiver down the spine when he gets to 'our flag was still there'. Truly a class act.
    Posted by Kurako

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Rancourt, Hamill, and a 2nd for Weber?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

Hey, Bob Dylan, Mick Jagger, Neil Young and a thousan other stars can't sing either but they are still singing legends. Not everyone can sing like Ian Gillan you know :) Go Rene Go!!!

Uhh, excuse me, but Rene Rancourt has a TERRIBLE voice.  He murders the anthem.  His vibrato is fake-- done with annoying pulses of breath rather than naturally from the larynx.  Anyone who knows anything about music should be horribly embarrassed by his grotesque renditions.   It's baffling why a sophisticated city with a rich music heritage would tolerate him. Compare to game six in Montreal, where an assemblage of brass players from the Montreal Symphony gave a polished and lively rendition of both anthems.  Or any other stadium where top local talent is utilized. Ottawa often has a true tenor....superb.. Rene Rancourt has been doing the same routine for some thirty years. Sometimes I wonder if he's not a hologram or latex-over-frame fabrication.   He never looks any older!!   When Rene hits that climatic "FREE...EEEE...EEEEE",  we all break out laughing.  Maybe that's the best reason to keep him.....hilarity...!!  He's so bad, he's good!!  
    Posted by CarolinaClamMan

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Rene Rancourt is a Bruins institution like Fred Cusick was, and has earned the right to perform well past the point of diminishing returns.  Yes, his anthems this year have ranged from pretty good to awful, but as others have said, the energy generated by his fist pump makes up for many of his shortcomings. 

I agree with bb69 about the nose.  Easing up on the booze might help the voice too.  As far as ed's comment about firing the organist, it isn't his fault that Rancourt changes tempo a half dozen times during the song.  Rene likes to drag out some notes, and the organist has to constantly try to adjust to accomodate him.  If he played the song without adjusting for Rancourt, it would be a complete horror show

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Rene is the MAN!  He is an institution.  PERIOD!

My wife, a professional musician who has sung professional and taught chorus and band at every level including college, used to hate him ONLY because he has an old-school style of singing.  Watch the Wizard Of Oz and the Lion sings the same.

Vibrato styles have changed throughout the years, periods and popularity's.  They are ALL learned & taught, so depending on who, where and when you studied, there can be huge differences. 

Rene has a great voice and can sing his asss off, but his vibrato bothers me as well.  With that said, I have YET to hear a better replacement in Boston.  The Anthem should get the fans and players going.  The young girls they have had, although theyve all been fantastic singers, lacked the style and enthusiasm you need.  The state trooper they had a couple times, it was all about him and NOT the anthem.  Fail.  Rene is a great throwback to old time hockey and organists.  I hope he sings it for another 35 years.

Plus, he is a MAINER!!!!!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

Rene is the MAN!  He is an institution.  PERIOD! My wife, a professional musician who has sung professional and taught chorus and band at every level including college, used to hate him ONLY because he has an old-school style of singing.  Watch the Wizard Of Oz and the Lion sings the same. Vibrato styles have changed throughout the years, periods and popularity's.  They are ALL learned & taught, so depending on who, where and when you studied, there can be huge differences.  Rene has a great voice and can sing his asss off, but his vibrato bothers me as well.  With that said, I have YET to hear a better replacement in Boston.  The Anthem should get the fans and players going.  The young girls they have had, although theyve all been fantastic singers, lacked the style and enthusiasm you need.  The state trooper they had a couple times, it was all about him and NOT the anthem.  Fail.  Rene is a great throwback to old time hockey and organists.  I hope he sings it for another 35 years. Plus, he is a MAINER!!!!!!!!
    Posted by bigvig

Have you ever been to Gettysburg?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

He's only embarassing when you're trying to explain why you're smiling to someone who is hearing him for the first time.  "Why do i like him?  Well, uh, he ... he pumps his fist and ... well...he looks drunk, totally drunk and ... I mean, uh...yeah, he's not really hitting the notes and all and...sure...he can be hard on the ears...but uh....yeah."

Neil Young is good singer.  You just don't like his voice.  He hits the notes he's trying to hit.  Better than Dylan on that score, especially live.  Jagger used to be able to sing, but age and hard living take a toll, man.  Listen to him on Beggar's Banquet or Exile on Main Street.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shawnjararita. Show shawnjararita's posts

Rene Rancourt is from Lewiston Maine.  My mom, aunt, memere and pepere think of him as family (my aunt dated him in high school).  He is a homer.  A franco-american lover of the Bruins from Maine.  He singing of the anthem is an acquired taste.  But it doesnt matter!  Rene is a Bruins fan from New England.  I dont want the Boston Pops Wind Ensemble out there before a game 7!

He will sing before Boston's home games in the cup finals. 

Sections
Shortcuts