Report: Bruins/Sabres talked Vanek-Seguin swap over the summer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bsfannny. Show bsfannny's posts

Report: Bruins/Sabres talked Vanek-Seguin swap over the summer

This is an interesting take from the Buffalo News. The Bruins cap situation likely prevents them from looking at Vanek at the trade deadline, but interesting to see that they may have been inquiring about a legitimate top-line scorer...perhaps just to keep him from lighting them up each game. 

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/sabres-bruins-talked-about-vanek-seguin-trade-last-june-20140203

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: Report: Bruins/Sabres talked Vanek-Seguin swap over the summer

With Vanek becoming a UFA at the end of the year I'm glad this didn't happen.

If acquired and not signed to a long term it would be equivalent to trading Seguin for a 1 year service contract of Vanek.

Not bashing the abilities of Vanek but getting players that have years left on their contracts is a more secure option. Look at what the NYI are going through with Vanek contract talks now.

There would have been no guarantees that Vanek would have signed with the Bruins.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I'm with you Chowda, but there has to be more to this. I don't see how the Sabers wouldn't have taken this deal. It must've been PC who wanted more as far as prospects go & the Saber's balked. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

With Vanek becoming a UFA at the end of the year I'm glad this didn't happen.

If acquired and not signed to a long term it would be equivalent to trading Seguin for a 1 year service contract of Vanek.

Not bashing the abilities of Vanek but getting players that have years left on their contracts is a more secure option. Look at what the NYI are going through with Vanek contract talks now.

There would have been no guarantees that Vanek would have signed with the Bruins.

I think Vanek already has an agenda of where he wants to go.  Maybe a couple of teams and he'll have his agent start the bidding.  He'll be set.  I like Vanek but for 1year and then skips town ? No thanks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

So in this case Buffalo and Boston get far into talks and agree to the structure / players involved, but then Chiarelli chats with the Vanek's agent and they don't get anywhere with extension details. Deal gets scrapped. Seems pretty straight-forward.

Vanek will and should listen to all offers at the end of the season. The only question is can Snow get something at the deadline for a rental instead of watching Vanek walk at the end of the season.

I LOVE Vanek as a player, but it would have meant no Eriksson, no Smith and no Iginla to make the numbers work. I'll take the depth over one guy any day.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

No question that Vanek is a more gifted scorer than Eriksson, but I'm not sure that, between his contract and the fact that Buffalo might not have paid much of a premium in prospects and picks to balance the risk and difference in ages, a deal for Vanek would have been better for the Bruins.  In fact, Sabrefan is probably thinking Seguin plus what for Vanek?  They got Moulson and two Islander draft picks for ___'s sake.

Even if the Bruins did get some kind of package of prospects, it wouldn't look like the one they got from Dallas.  Hockey's Future ranked their prospect pool second in the league before the season, but looking at their list, I don't see a lot of players who would be likely to do what Smith has done in seizing a top six forward spot.  Grigorenko looks for all the world like a guy who had superior size and strength in the junior ranks, but doesn't have the quickness and speed he needs now that everyone around him is also strong.  Girgensons is having an okay rookie year, and they've given 9 rookies 5+ games, including burning a year of 2013 top ten pick Ristolainen's EL deal.  They returned Pysyk to the Amerks, so only Girgensons has been able to stick.  In Buffalo.  Point being, no Reilly Smith there and probably no Matt Fraser either.  Nothing in their system excites me.  Bruins would have been better off getting Vanek and a pick than any of Buffalo's current prospects, I think. 

Can you imagine if the Sabres had been dumb enough to send Boston Vanek and a first for Seguin and Peverley?  Could very easily have been a former #2 overall for the first pick overall and Vanek.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

which ain't bad...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejacks. Show ejacks's posts

According to the article, the deal fell through because the B's wanted an NHL ready player off the Sabres' roster in addition to Vanek.

And I can't blame them.  Three years of Seguin, at a relatively bearable cost, is comfortably more valuable than 1 year of Vanek.  And if I am a Sabres fan, considering that Moulson is also FA eligible after this year, I think I'd rather have Seguin than the draft picks they got from the Islanders going forward.   As a B's fan, a lot depends on who that other player would have been, and how Eriksson progresses as he comes back from the concussions, in terms of figuring out which deal I'd have preferred.  But I will say that I agree with the general premise that depth (Smith, Eriksson, Ignila) is probably more valuable to this team than one goal scorer - although I'd love to have Vanek.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Vanek must want something in the $8M range to sign.  I just don't see him taking a pay cut when FA worked out so well for him last time.  If any guy believes in the value of being a free agent of any group, it's OfferSheet Vanek.

I don't know if I want the Bruins to have an $8M+ player unless that player is putting up top ten scoring numbers in the context of the Bruins system.  I don't know if there are many players who can do that.  Marc Savard managed it, I guess....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Vanek must want something in the $8M range to sign.  I just don't see him taking a pay cut when FA worked out so well for him last time.  If any guy believes in the value of being a free agent of any group, it's OfferSheet Vanek.

I don't know if I want the Bruins to have an $8M+ player unless that player is putting up top ten scoring numbers in the context of the Bruins system.  I don't know if there are many players who can do that.  Marc Savard managed it, I guess....

Yeah, he'll be shooting for the moon.Considering he is one of the few free agents that actually signed an offer sheet to willingly go to Edmonton. He's a gun for hire to the highest bidder.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Last time Vanek scored 40 goals he was 25. Hasn't broken 32 since and is only on pace for 30 this season. I wouldn't give him more than $6M a year but there is always Slats to ride in for the retirement contract like Richards awful future-buyout-deal. Sather is always there to help agents and their overpriced clients.

Just get Vanek over to the Western Conference!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The only way the trade would even begin to make sense is if the Bruins got a first rounder or two included.  Buffalo's pick would look pretty good right now.

But it would take at least that to match getting Reilly Smith.  Smith is dynamite.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Without looking at the salary cap, I'd say San Jose could be a landing spot for Vanek. They have a couple of good young goaltenders in their system. Trouble for Snow, is if Vanek is dead set on testing the free-agent market, he will struggle to get back even close to what he gave. While I could see Buffalo asking for Hertl as part of the deal, I can't see Wilson, or any G.M giving up too much for what could be a rental.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Listened to Buffalo Sports radio today and they were insinuating Minnesota will be his choice of destination once he becomes a free agent.

Considering he was a Golden Gopher.......who knows ?

All speculation.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Listened to Buffalo Sports radio today and they were insinuating Minnesota will be his choice of destination once he becomes a free agent.

All speculation.

Yep, bingo bango. His wife is also from the Minnesota area.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:

All speculation.

Yep, bingo bango. His wife is also from the Minnesota area.

Minnesota has almost 12 million coming off the books this summer with Heatley,Rupp,Stoner and Prosser becoming UFA's.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

"Buffalo and Boston discussed a trade package that would have sent Thomas Vanek to the Bruins in exchange for Seguin, multiple sources told The News on Monday. It’s not clear why the talks, held at the draft in June, fell through, but it is known the Bruins were seeking another NHL-ready player off the Sabres’ roster."

Key phrase - held at the draft in June.

PC talked to another dozen GMs during the draft trying to shop for the best deal.

PC knew it wasn't going anywhere. He was trying to dump $9 million and sure as hell wasn't going to take back $8 million to do it.

By the way,  even I talked to PC about a deal for Seguin the day before the draft - for what it's worth.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

All speculation.

They've been saying this all day. Freidman, Simpson & Bob Kurtz (who has said that the Wild are Wild about Vanek being available). It's where his wife is from & he loved it there. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

All speculation.

They've been saying this all day. Freidman, Simpson & Bob Kurtz (who has said that the Wild are Wild about Vanek being available). It's where his wife is from & he loved it there. 

We do tend to hear this alot, and it may be true here, but more often than not the player goes to who offers the most money. Nothing wrong with that either, just sayin.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

All speculation.

We do tend to hear this alot, and it may be true here, but more often than not the player goes to who offers the most money. Nothing wrong with that either, just sayin.

I heard the NYI offers today were in the 6.2-6.6 range over 7 yrs. That's what Rob Bizo of HNIC said he heard from the TSN people. He didn't specify who from TSN said this.  If the Wild have 12mil coming off the books? You can bet that Vanek is going to get a hellva offer from them & you he'll end up being what the Wild was hoping Heatly would be. I sure hope it happens (unless he becomes a Bruin of course) because I have Koviu, Parise & Vanek in my keeper pool. What a PP unit that will be!

Sections
Shortcuts