Report out of Columbus

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpokedB. Show SpokedB's posts

Re: Report out of Columbus

Am I the only guy who would move Krecji or Lucic to land this guy? Hypothetically speaking...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I'm not real struck on the Nash potential.  I think for the B's to land Nash, 2 core players would probably need to go, and I'm not thrilled with his contract.   I still like this team, and with the current core, I still believe they have as much potential as any.
    I also think the buzz surrounding Nash will result in someone overpaying considerably.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Thanx fourrings for the answer. take care have good day. I would go for Nash if he has speed behind his size. Instead of my other complicated trade I wrote. Nash will be a Bruin lifer and can be the Neely we are looking for. Nash has potential to score 50 goals with Bruins then Columbus. Marchand Seguin Nash 1st line tryout in preseason. But that means the Bruins will lose Rask, 1st rd pick and ?????

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Report out of Columbus:
    [QUOTE]Those numbers are much more in tune with what I would expect of Rick Nash under ideal circumstances. He's never been a guy like Crosby or Ovechkin who can put up big numbers no matter who he's with, but he is a good, solid scorer. If he wasn't a 1st overall pick and Columbus's "franchise player" he would be viewed similar to other 30+ goal 60+ point guys. I wouldn't trade any of our cheaper, younger top-6 forwards for him. Use the money to keep them all and add a real good forward to the third line in place of Kelly. That would make the Bruins more dangerous and address the main problem the Bruins faced this year: injury. Swapping Lucic or Krejci for Nash might make a healthy lineup a little better but won't help if someone gets injured again. If the league rolls back salaries as in '05, they would also roll back the cap, so that doesn't help you any. In Response to Re: Report out of Columbus :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]
    Get a hold or look at some hi-lights of the 04' World cup when he played with Thornton. Your unwilliness to see Nash's talent is very troublesome to say the least. The guy is a beast in this league & put him with a decent club that has some other players to help him pad his stats a bit & I'll bet you a $100 that he finishes top 5 in scoring! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Report out of Columbus : The rich teams could sign and/or trade for all of the highest priced players.  When it didn't work out, they could eat 90% of the deal and make a trade.  At least now, unless they are dealing with the Habs, albatross contracts stick like glue...which makes the GM more careful in negotiations. I see your profile pic is of baseball.  That sport is the biggest joke running when it comes to salaries.  Compare NYY to KC. I like hockey's current settings because they don't let the cash teams run away with all of the talent.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

The suggestion that I am proposing would mean that if a team trades a player and eats 90% of the contract, then 90% of that contract stays on their team as a cap hit. Teams would still have to take on responsibility for bad contracts. 

For example, Columbus wants to trade Nash, but potential suitors are reluctant to take on such a large cap hit. In order to reach a deal, Columbus could absorb an agreed upon amount (say 20% - 1.56Million/Year) and lessen the cap hit on his new team. The new teams would then have a cap hit of $6.24 M for the remainder of the deal, and Columbus would have a cap hit of $1.56 M for the remaining years. 

I am not suggesting that large market, high revenue teams should be able to pay off large contracts to eliminate them. That would, as you are saying, make the salary cap irrelevant for a team with a willing owner. Hopefully, this clarifies what I meant...

As for baseball, the current system is supremely flawed, but by next season the highest spenders will be reigned in under $190M to avoid paying steep luxury taxes. Unfortunately, that is still a significant salary range amongst teams. But MLB franchises are free market businesses and their owners run the teams to make money. If owners choose not to spend their portion of the salary tax money to improve their team...fans shouldn't be mad at the Yankees, Sox, Tigers, Rangers, Angels, and Mets...they should be mad at their owner.

I assume you bring up baseball to make a point that I know nothing about hockey, but...let's just stick to the topic at hand.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]Those numbers are much more in tune with what I would expect of Rick Nash under ideal circumstances. He's never been a guy like Crosby or Ovechkin who can put up big numbers no matter who he's with, but he is a good, solid scorer. If he wasn't a 1st overall pick and Columbus's "franchise player" he would be viewed similar to other 30+ goal 60+ point guys. I wouldn't trade any of our cheaper, younger top-6 forwards for him. Use the money to keep them all and add a real good forward to the third line in place of Kelly. That would make the Bruins more dangerous and address the main problem the Bruins faced this year: injury. Swapping Lucic or Krejci for Nash might make a healthy lineup a little better but won't help if someone gets injured again. If the league rolls back salaries as in '05, they would also roll back the cap, so that doesn't help you any. In Response to Re: Report out of Columbus :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Two forty goal seasons arent big numbers? He hasnt had half the talent around him that Ovechkin or crosby have had. You cant say that about Crosby and Ovechkin.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Report out of Columbus : Get a hold or look at some hi-lights of the 04' World cup when he played with Thornton. Your unwilliness to see Nash's talent is very troublesome to say the least. The guy is a beast in this league & put him with a decent club that has some other players to help him pad his stats a bit & I'll bet you a $100 that he finishes top 5 in scoring! 
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

I'm with you here Nite. He comes to Boston, he is a top 5 scorer in the league. No doubt in my mind.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Report out of Columbus : I'm with you here Nite. He comes to Boston, he is a top 5 scorer in the league. No doubt in my mind.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    With potential to be top 3, but under CJ's system he may have to be reeled in. IMHO I haven't seen a guy as big as Nash that has his finesse since Mario. Not saying Nash is a Mario. I'm saying his finesse, strength, reach & skating abilities are along the same lines. Nash hasnt had a lot of injuries either. Which when you're the prime player that every team tries to stop you'd think he would be a lot more. This talk of Parcel & under the same breath as Nash is beyond ridiculous. Can you imagine what Nash would do playing with Stamkos & St. Louis? Imagine the PP the Lightning would have then?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Report out of Columbus : I don't think he'll be a 100 point guy, but it's not out of the question that he'd put up 40-35-75 totals every year playing in Boston with linemates that are better than me and Scott Howson's mom that he's been subject to in Columbus. I'm really hoping that the new cba includes an amnesty clause, or if PC (considering he usually has a good feel for everything) feels that there will be an amnesty clause added to the cba (whenever it gets signed), I'd be thrilled if he put that on Nash, and got him at around a $6.5 Million cap hit.
    Posted by Hockguy0818[/QUOTE]

Agree with this assessment.

100 points doesn't come easy in this league, especially in CJ's system.

Savard holds the high water mark in CJ's NHL head coaching tenure with 88 points in 2008-09.  Hard to see anyone pushing 100 points with CJ rolling four.

CJ's top scorer by season:
    2002-03: Koivu- 71 pts
    2003-04: Ribeiro- 65 pts
    2005-06: Kovalev- 65 pts
    2006-07: Elias- 69 pts (Parise on that team 31-31-62)
    2007-08: Savard- 78 pts
    2008-09: Savard- 88 pts
    2009-10: Bergeron/Krejci- 52 pts
    2010-11: Lucic/Krejci- 62 pts
    2011-12: Seguin- 67 pts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Report out of Columbus : The suggestion that I am proposing would mean that if a team trades a player and eats 90% of the contract, then 90% of that contract stays on their team as a cap hit. Teams would still have to take on responsibility for bad contracts.  For example, Columbus wants to trade Nash, but potential suitors are reluctant to take on such a large cap hit. In order to reach a deal, Columbus could absorb an agreed upon amount (say 20% - 1.56Million/Year) and lessen the cap hit on his new team. The new teams would then have a cap hit of $6.24 M for the remainder of the deal, and Columbus would have a cap hit of $1.56 M for the remaining years.  I am not suggesting that large market, high revenue teams should be able to pay off large contracts to eliminate them. That would, as you are saying, make the salary cap irrelevant for a team with a willing owner. Hopefully, this clarifies what I meant... As for baseball, the current system is supremely flawed, but by next season the highest spenders will be reigned in under $190M to avoid paying steep luxury taxes. Unfortunately, that is still a significant salary range amongst teams. But MLB franchises are free market businesses and their owners run the teams to make money. If owners choose not to spend their portion of the salary tax money to improve their team...fans shouldn't be mad at the Yankees, Sox, Tigers, Rangers, Angels, and Mets...they should be mad at their owner. I assume you bring up baseball to make a point that I know nothing about hockey, but...let's just stick to the topic at hand.
    Posted by TitleTown11[/QUOTE]

I bring up baseball because it's a baseball idea that you've proposed and your avatar is of a baseball player.

Baseball is a mess, a joke.  What used to be pure is now purely disgusting. 

I don't wish to have hockey copy one single idea from it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Report out of Columbus : I bring up baseball because it's a baseball idea that you've proposed and your avatar is of a baseball player. Baseball is a mess, a joke.  What used to be pure is now purely disgusting.  I don't wish to have hockey copy one single idea from it.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Fair enough...opinion noted.