REPORT: TROTZ MEETS WITH CAPITALS OWNERSHIP

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

REPORT: TROTZ MEETS WITH CAPITALS OWNERSHIP

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=452735" rel="nofollow">http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=452735

"It may not be too much longer before Barry Trotz finds a new home.

TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger is reporting that the former Nashville Predators head coach was in Washington on Tuesday meeting with Capitals owner Ted Leonsis and president Dick Patrick.

The Capitals missed the playoffs for the first time in six seasons, leading the club to fire bench boss Adam Oates. The Capitals also did not renew the contract of general manager George McPhee following the season.

Trotz, 51, was fired by the Predators after 15 seasons in Nashville; the only coach in the franchise's history.

The Vancouver Canucks are also rumoured to be interested in Trotz."

Sounds about right.

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: REPORT: TROTZ MEETS WITH CAPITALS OWNERSHIP

Especially if Shero is brought in.  Trotz will help that group.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Not surprising in the least. Trotz will implement a sound D strategy...something the Caps have lacked (props to Hunter for trying though). Will be interesting to see how Ovechkin responds to the Trotz way...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Not surprising in the least. Trotz will implement a sound D strategy...something the Caps have lacked (props to Hunter for trying though). Will be interesting to see how Ovechkin responds to the Trotz way...

I think trotz is getting a bad rap as def first coach. I think hes a great hockey mind.  In nash he had 2 stud dmen and a top end goalie with nothing up front.  So naturally you have to creat a system that works for your roster.  I think he will be able to get the best outta what he says.  

Gretzky as president.  Maclean as GM.  trotz and tockett hired for coaching staff.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

I think trotz is getting a bad rap as def first coach. I think hes a great hockey mind.  In nash he had 2 stud dmen and a top end goalie with nothing up front.  So naturally you have to creat a system that works for your roster.  I think he will be able to get the best outta what he says.  

Gretzky as president.  Maclean as GM.  trotz and tockett hired for coaching staff.  

I agree. Trotz has been labeled a defensive minded coach, and it may be true, but he never really had any offensive players in Nashville.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Going by the comments section on TSN the Canuck fans seem to think it's a given that he winds up in Vancouver.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I agree. Trotz has been labeled a defensive minded coach, and it may be true, but he never really had any offensive players in Nashville.

Very true. I guess we will find out soon enough...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Score 50 goals again.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Score 50 goals again.

With a -30?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Score 50 goals again.

With a -30?

When it comes to Ovechkin, I don't really hold the minus-30 against him. He's paid to score goals, he's one of the top 2 in the league in this consistently. Minus-30 has a lot to do with his d-men and lets face it, they've really never got the defense and goaltending situation right in Washington. Varlamov is a perfect example of this.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

When it comes to Ovechkin, I don't really hold the minus-30 against him. He's paid to score goals, he's one of the top 2 in the league in this consistently. Minus-30 has a lot to do with his d-men and lets face it, they've really never got the defense and goaltending situation right in Washington. Varlamov is a perfect example of this.

I agree with you up to a certain point. Yes +/- can be deceiving when used to apply it to an individual case as a primary indicator of d work. that said, overall I would be willing to bet that the Caps management would be more happy with a 35goal positive +/- season from him than what they saw this year. It would be an indicator that both he and the team are playing a 200 foot game more consistently.

And the I never really bought into the whole "he's paid to score goals" meme. To me, this view has been the Caps problem all along. Do they build around Ovechkin and his one dimensional play or build a solid team with the Great 8 adapting to be more responsible away from the puck? You can't really have both and it has been proven time and again that good team D is what wins Cups. That, after all, is the primary objective, no?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I agree with you up to a certain point. Yes +/- can be deceiving when used to apply it to an individual case as a primary indicator of d work. that said, overall I would be willing to bet that the Caps management would be more happy with a 35goal positive +/- season from him than what they saw this year. It would be an indicator that both he and the team are playing a 200 foot game more consistently.

And the I never really bought into the whole "he's paid to score goals" meme. To me, this view has been the Caps problem all along. Do they build around Ovechkin and his one dimensional play or build a solid team with the Great 8 adapting to be more responsible away from the puck? You can't really have both and it has been proven time and again that good team D is what wins Cups. That, after all, is the primary objective, no?

Your right JM, but he is what he is, and like I said, I don't think he's been surrounded with the players that fit him best. I think him and Stamkos are the two best scorers in the league, with Stamkos having the better all around game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

[QUOTE]

Minus-30 has a lot to do with his d-men and lets face it, they've really never got the defense and goaltending situation right in Washington.

[QUOTE]

Except that in a apropos fashion his d-men matched his -35... combined.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Your right JM, but he is what he is, and like I said, I don't think he's been surrounded with the players that fit him best. I think him and Stamkos are the two best scorers in the league, with Stamkos having the better all around game.

Caps should go after the top 2 hardnosed dmen on the market this summer (whoever they are), trade Green, and start from there...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Oates is gone.  I do not know why?  If Shero is a GM, then me thinks Trotz would be the illogical based on his experience in Pittsburgh.  The problem with Pittsburgh was defense, goalie too.  Leave Ovechkin alone, he is a special player not a cure all.  

I will ask you trans sports people which Green will be traded under the new team locus, Mike or Jeff?  I think Mike.   

"Don't judge me monkey" 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

Add Sweeny to the Mix.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=452892" rel="nofollow">http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=452892

There have been all kinds of rumours surrounding the Capitals' vacancies. Ray Shero, Don Sweeney, Paul Fenton and Doug MacLean are among those that have been mentioned as candidates for the general manager post and then the coaching candidates will naturally depend on which GM takes over, though Barry Trotz is one of the more prominent available head coaches.

Jesus saves & Esposito puts in the rebound.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Well run organizations have their front offices raided. Sweeney has done a great job.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Really don't know how he still manages to get a gig. Seems to have a bigger ego than Danny Heatley with results to match.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I don't understand why fans and GMs are gaga over Trotz.  He hasn't won anything since his AHL days.  In 15 years, he made it out of the first round twice, and never any further.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Cbc just said he has told others teams hes off the market and signing in washington.  Very good choice.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=720816&navid=nhl:topheads 

I agree Shup

Sections
Shortcuts