Reporting trolls

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Reporting trolls

The "imitating" troll is back again. Please don't respond to the posts, and click on the "report abuse" option. Boston.com really needs to ban this troll's IP addy or this will never stop.

Above all, don't respond. That's exactly what the troll wants.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Reporting trolls

There should be one common "report abuse" that we all use.  Other?  Plagarism?

If enough people do it, it'll stop, but I think it will happen sooner if everyone reports the same thing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I used the Copyright/Plagiarism one, with a note explaining the circumstances.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikzor. Show mikzor's posts

Whats more important than reporting is ignoring. You report them, they get suspended, they are back in a hour. You ignore them and eventually they get tired and leave. Nobody seems to understand this.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

been on these boards for three seasons--the forum moderation is immensely sporadic.

they will basically do nothing for most of the season, then come in one day and perma-ban people with little provocation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

We've all read the boston.com Terms and Conditions right? Surely? No, ok then...

Anyway, impersonating another user is against the T+C's so it's the easiest thing in the world to get this moron booted every time he/she creates a new persona. I just report 'Other' and the name of the member being targetted.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Re: Reporting trolls:
    [QUOTE]WAAAHH WAAAHHH WAAHHHH Teacher, teacher you forgot to give us homework today! I wonder how many times you crybabies were beaten up in highschool. I bet alot, that would help explain why you two adult fan boys spend your lives on hockey message boards playing virtual hall monitor
    Posted by Feltcher1[/QUOTE]

I never ever ignore but if you are waving your hands in front of me with stupid attention seeking threads I guess I have a right to report you.  Restated:  If I am walking into a bar with an idiot yelling then I walk by but usually the idiot gets thrown out of the bar.  Not a hall monitor at all.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Reporting trolls : That's what I do as well.  While I think that boston.com is well aware of this, I'm not sure that they will (or can) ban the IP address.  But it would be nice if they would.  In any case, it's really annoying to have to look at a "regular's" profile first for verification before responding to a comment.
    Posted by jalvis[/QUOTE]
    When in doubt, a quick glance at a poster's join date and number of posts usually tells the story, as well as the tone of the post.  I have never had to look at a poster's profile to figure out whether or not they are a troll.

Friday night seems to be troll night around here.  We have trolls copying and pasting years old posts to the new forum, and then alter egos bumping the threads up to the top of the page.  It was pretty funny to see all of these usernames come out of the woodwork the other night to bump up trolling threads.  Some of the usernames were years old, but only had post counts in the double digits.  This tells me that the same troll has been around for years and has dozens of alter egos which he or she uses to get under regulars' skins. 

Hard to understand the motives of the person or people behind it.  Do they hate Bruins fans in particular, or are they just sociopaths who get off on creating discontent wherever they go?  The fact that there are archived forums for all of the sports teams on BDC makes me think that the trolls are out to spread as much discontent and chaos as possible regardless of the forum.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

One other thing. If you report abuse on a post they tend to just delete that post. Do it from the members page and it's bye-bye saddo.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Reporting trolls : When in doubt, a quick glance at a poster's join date and number of posts usually tells the story, as well as the tone of the post. 
    Posted by Mutant211[/QUOTE]

Yeah...that's what I meant.  I don't GO to their profile either.  I just look at the date and post #'s. In any case, it annoys me that I even have to look at that in the first place.  Can't trust anything anymore.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Reporting trolls:
    [QUOTE]The "imitating" troll is back again. Please don't respond to the posts, and click on the "report abuse" option. Boston.com really needs to ban this troll's IP addy or this will never stop. Above all, don't respond. That's exactly what the troll wants.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]
    The same clown has started 8 posts since you started this one.It's ridiculous that the Globe can't do something more to curb this sort of garbage.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Wow - and all the posts they start are copy and pasted from the archives.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Wow - and all the posts they start are copy and pasted from the archives.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]
    Most of page one is from the archives.It's getting silly.I put them all on ignore but still have to wade through the garbage.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Reporting trolls : Most of page one is from the archives.It's getting silly.I put them all on ignore but still have to wade through the garbage.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I wonder if there is a way to combat them?
    There are more of us than them, if we all try to "friend" them at least it would fill their actual mailboxes.
    I don't know.  There has to be some way to get some street justice here.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Reporting trolls : I wonder if there is a way to combat them? There are more of us than them, if we all try to "friend" them at least it would fill their actual mailboxes. I don't know.  There has to be some way to get some street justice here.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]
    If you can find it I'll help in any way I can.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

Looks like the BDC mods just did a cleanup in the last half hour or so. Thank you. Perhaps the mods could prevent known problem IP's from registering in the first place. And also restrict the number of posts per day by newly registered users to 1 or 2 for the first week or so. This would flush out these a**holes early on before they totally overtake the forum on a daily basis. My .02's. Thanks again BDC mods.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RascalHoudi. Show RascalHoudi's posts

Huge thing is just don't respond.

Ever.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

As much as I hate to say it I'm sure they love threads dedicated to them more than responses. I've seen alot of these things how everyone agrees to just ignore them but it never happens. Just ignore them as they come and learn to live with their dumb crap, because it's not going away - don't stress yourselves out over it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I can't understand why BCD doesn't just make a policy that you can only have one account per IP address.  I mean, this troll must have 50 accounts by now, it can't be that hard to root them out.

Why would anyone need more than one account unless they are up to no good?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtassinarisoccer. Show jtassinarisoccer's posts

does this really bother all of you??? Get a life...there are more important things in life to get worked up about

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Devanjan. Show Devanjan's posts

Trolls are Trolls and idiots are idiots. I am not the proper person to say this because I get properly riled up by idiocy and people who antagonize me.  However, as my old Mammy used to say, why give the Troll  the satisfaction of reacting? As a father of a "reactor" AND an "agitator" I preached loud and long to my "reactor" to deny the "agitator" the pleasure of a response. It took years, but the message finally got through and it really POed the "antagonizer" not to get a response. It says volumes about a person's mentality, IQ and social makeup, that they have to be so immature to try to provoke people they do not know. The ignore  button is great. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]"does this really bother all of you??? Get a life...there are more important things in life to get worked up about" I agree.  I don't see what all the fuss is about.  Once or twice I got snookered into reading what was an old post, but gee, what the heck.  It's not like it ruined my day. I'd say the issue here is that most posts are pretty boring.  If someone wants to come along and juice things up a bit, more power to him or her.  It's not life and death -- and I don't see how people can get "antagonized" by things people say in a forum.
    Posted by Ergoetal[/QUOTE]
    Some are interested in the simple pleasure of intelligent hockey talk without the need to wade through a full front page of year-old posts.Agreed ,it isn't important in the overall scheme of things.I would just prefer if it were different but so be it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

Does StanleyCupToTheBruins count as a troll?  He is just as annoying as the blatant trolls.  Probably should just start reporting him anyway. 

I remember him making a verbal agreement with another user here over the summer that he wouldn't post here again if Wheeler doesn't score 40 goals this season, so I think it is safe to say he lost that bet.  May as well get rid of him now.www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=8c29fa704dcceedd0c0b9f89003c4704&plckUserId=8c29fa704dcceedd0c0b9f89003c4704" target="_parent">

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]"does this really bother all of you??? Get a life...there are more important things in life to get worked up about" I agree.  I don't see what all the fuss is about.  Once or twice I got snookered into reading what was an old post, but gee, what the heck.  It's not like it ruined my day. I'd say the issue here is that most posts are pretty boring.  If someone wants to come along and juice things up a bit, more power to him or her.  It's not life and death -- and I don't see how people can get "antagonized" by things people say in a forum.

It depends what you're here for Ergo.  I like the actual discussion about hockey and the Bruins a lot more than the name calling and trolling.  I usually don't have a lot of time and having to click through old/fake posts that are spammed all over the board can be annoying.  I consider somebody deliberatly wasting other people's time to be antagonistic -- they would never even do it if they weren't anonymous.

But hey, if playing those childish little games is your thing, go for it.  I'm glad you have the free time for that, others don't.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

In the grand scheme of things, of course it's not a big deal.  But neither is hockey.  But we enjoy the game, the Bruins and the discussion that this board brings.  And it is really annoying to come on here after work looking to kick back and talk some hockey and some troll has posted 10 posts that were just copy and pasted from the archives.  Now I have to scroll down find something from someone that isn't just trying to annoy everyone else on the board. 

Is it a BIG deal?  No.  It's a little deal.  But sometimes I (and I'm sure many of the others) don't want to have to deal with little deals either.

Sections
Shortcuts