Retropect

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Retropect

Once again, the negative nancys postings are upon the forum.  As a fan I believe the team did well this year.  In the playoffs, the team was not prepared.  I'd rather spend time on finding solutions rather than spew out "I told you so." diatribes.   Only one team wins the Stanley Cup!  The should have been there, they weren't, get over it.    

Here are my observations on the playoffs that spell what needs to be done leading up to the draft.

1.  The first line needs a speedy winger.  Iginla was fine but he will demand too much for his age.  The consternation over scoring on the first line is noted, yet Montreal's first line was not too productive either. 

2.  The growth of Rask in net has reached a turning point.  He is a sound goaltender witnessed against NYR and Pittsburgh last year.  The fact of the matter he did not make the timely save especially last night.

3.  PC had a deal to get an experience defenseman at the trade deadline, Vancouver was the #1 rumor.  Anyway even with Seidenberg returning the Bs need a mid twenties defenseman.  Speed would help as well.

4.  Chara has been a workhorse.  I though he was suffering not from a wrist injury but a knee injury.  Paciority's goal in game 6 was the first sign then again last night he was laboring moving his knee. He is 37 and  needs support from the other defense pairings.  

5.  Wingers:  *Again the first line needs someone with speed. * Marchand needs to find his game.  His antics are boorish, and observable.  *Eriksson is a fine second liner but his contract and third line placement is too rich for the team. *Shawn's time is up.  *Soderberg is not a winger, so the question is what do you do with his skil at launching the puck?  He is a waste on the third line as a center.  

"Don't judge me monkey" 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Re: Retropect

Opps spelling error, retrospect.  I can only add, the top line defenseman should not be 37 years of age. He needs support from a twenty something experienced defenseman who has some speed.  Hamilton is still growing into his  role, very positive playoffs.   Iginla would be a nice second line or third line winger.  He will get offers to be a first line winger, the UFA status will inflate his price. The Bs would then be best to let him go.    

"Don't judge me monkey" 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

1.  It wasn't the speed of the first line that hurt them, it was execution.  Montreal's "speed" is a myth.  When it appeared the B's wanted it, they were all over the Canadiens(see speed).  Iginla was fine this year, and his age didn't just become a factor in the last week.(unless Lucic and Krejki's did too)  Iginla is definitely trending the wrong way age wise, but I don't see singling him out as a problem.  If the price is right, I wouldn't hesitate to bring him back, but it's all about the cost.  Cripes he's scoring like he's 27.

2.  Rask is a really good goalie.  No intelligent hockey observer will argue that.  Do you deal him?.  For what?  Nothing to do in this area.  Athlete's all suffer peaks and valleys in performance.  He wasn't awful, but he didn't steal any games, and teams need their goalie to steal a couple if they're going to make it to the promised land.  Crap happens.

3.  This playoff has been an extremely beneficial education for the young'uns, that they normally would have missed out on.  I see a lot to be bullish about on the B's backline.  Hamilton has moved to the next level, and 14/15 could be his entry into the big time.  Krug has proved he's more than a flash in the pan.  He's actually good enough to play at this level.  He's brand new too, we can't forget that, and he'll get better defensively.  All of these young guys have gained valuable experience.  Invaluable experience really.  As is, with McQuaid and Seidenberg back, there's going to be intense competition for full time jobs, and that's good. 

4.  Big guys lose their athleticism quicker than small guys.  You can see little signs of that in Chara.  With his conditioning though, I expect him to be a top dman for several years.  He's probably running out of time to be a Norris candidate, but there's lots in the tank before he becomes anything close to average. They've been thinking seriously about his minutes since Dave Lewis's time, so management is all over that one.  No worries there. 

5.  NHL hockey is "boorish".  Gallagher is predictable and boorish, in fact most teams have a pest or two, and not many of them score 20something a year.  Complaing about officiating does have it's merit.  Montreal and Therrien constantly whining is a great example.  This "high road", that CJ and co always talk about taking,...is a mistake.  Referee's are human.  If you constantly complain about being "picked on"...it pays.  It's always paid.  If only subtley, the point gets made, and it's in the officials "head".  Seems like Julien spends more time publicly attempting to "excuse" and validate the officials than other coach, yet his team takes more penalties than anyone else.  Obviously, it isn't working.  It's just making it easier for the officials to feel the need to call penalties.  I watch a lot of hockey.  This isn't 1970.  Boston plays as honestly as most.

As far as wingers, I'll take this group in it's entirety, and gladly wager on their chances next year.  I'm sure there'll be some fine tuning.  LE probably won't bring back the kind of assets his contract suggests he should right now, so I'd think maybe they should hang onto him and see if his scoring comes back next year.  If they need his money for a big piece somewhere, so be it.

I believe this is a really good team that hit a terrible slump at the worst possible time.  I thought about it a lot when they were destroying everyone in March, and got very ordinary the last week and a half of the regular season.  It's not sustainable.  Pittsburgh was doing the same thing when Iginla signed with them.  Our Bruins just peaked a little early.  no need to get carried away.  We'll get em next year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1.  It wasn't the speed of the first line that hurt them, it was execution.  Montreal's "speed" is a myth.  When it appeared the B's wanted it, they were all over the Canadiens(see speed).  Iginla was fine this year, and his age didn't just become a factor in the last week.(unless Lucic and Krejki's did too)  Iginla is definitely trending the wrong way age wise, but I don't see singling him out as a problem.  If the price is right, I wouldn't hesitate to bring him back, but it's all about the cost.  Cripes he's scoring like he's 27.

2.  Rask is a really good goalie.  No intelligent hockey observer will argue that.  Do you deal him?.  For what?  Nothing to do in this area.  Athlete's all suffer peaks and valleys in performance.  He wasn't awful, but he didn't steal any games, and teams need their goalie to steal a couple if they're going to make it to the promised land.  Crap happens.

3.  This playoff has been an extremely beneficial education for the young'uns, that they normally would have missed out on.  I see a lot to be bullish about on the B's backline.  Hamilton has moved to the next level, and 14/15 could be his entry into the big time.  Krug has proved he's more than a flash in the pan.  He's actually good enough to play at this level.  He's brand new too, we can't forget that, and he'll get better defensively.  All of these young guys have gained valuable experience.  Invaluable experience really.  As is, with McQuaid and Seidenberg back, there's going to be intense competition for full time jobs, and that's good. 

4.  Big guys lose their athleticism quicker than small guys.  You can see little signs of that in Chara.  With his conditioning though, I expect him to be a top dman for several years.  He's probably running out of time to be a Norris candidate, but there's lots in the tank before he becomes anything close to average. They've been thinking seriously about his minutes since Dave Lewis's time, so management is all over that one.  No worries there. 

5.  NHL hockey is "boorish".  Gallagher is predictable and boorish, in fact most teams have a pest or two, and not many of them score 20something a year.  Complaing about officiating does have it's merit.  Montreal and Therrien constantly whining is a great example.  This "high road", that CJ and co always talk about taking,...is a mistake.  Referee's are human.  If you constantly complain about being "picked on"...it pays.  It's always paid.  If only subtley, the point gets made, and it's in the officials "head".  Seems like Julien spends more time publicly attempting to "excuse" and validate the officials than other coach, yet his team takes more penalties than anyone else.  Obviously, it isn't working.  It's just making it easier for the officials to feel the need to call penalties.  I watch a lot of hockey.  This isn't 1970.  Boston plays as honestly as most.

As far as wingers, I'll take this group in it's entirety, and gladly wager on their chances next year.  I'm sure there'll be some fine tuning.  LE probably won't bring back the kind of assets his contract suggests he should right now, so I'd think maybe they should hang onto him and see if his scoring comes back next year.  If they need his money for a big piece somewhere, so be it.

I believe this is a really good team that hit a terrible slump at the worst possible time.  I thought about it a lot when they were destroying everyone in March, and got very ordinary the last week and a half of the regular season.  It's not sustainable.  Pittsburgh was doing the same thing when Iginla signed with them.  Our Bruins just peaked a little early.  no need to get carried away.  We'll get em next year.

[/QUOTE]

Excellent post !

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:
    [QUOTE]

YOU DO NOT GO IN PLAYOFFS WITH A 36 yr old First line rw and then get a dman who was supposed to civer seides .chia can insult fans but I'm not buying it. MEZ is exactly what we needed 

What kind of a joke is that. Loui mr inflated is a big flake.

[/QUOTE]

Funny enough, I thought Iginla was one of the best out there; he came to play in this series (and potted 30 goals for the upteen time in a season), and had a great game 7....came so close to scoring the tying goal as well! Too bad others didn't come to play the same. Was really hoping this would be his year to raise the Cup.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Nice post.  The only thing I would dispute is Boston does not have enough speed and experience on the defense.  Secondly I also feel and think Lucic needs another winger who has the speed game.  Krejci would also be more effective.  Otherwise an excellent discription.  

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

Thought this was a good piece,what do use think of it,and no I don't think the Bruins have to rebuild there team to beat Montreal.but definetly do need to be faster.
    Adapt or Die,

May 16, 2014, 4:59 PM ET [103 Comments]
    Ty Anderson
    Boston Bruins Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    Be sure to 'like' Hockeybuzz on Facebook!

It’s been a rough couple of afternoons for the Hub of Hockey. Barely a month after it began, the dreams of winning your last game of the season and paving the way for a summertime of Stanley Cup parties, are over for Jarome Iginla and the rest of the 2013-14 Boston Bruins.

In their Game 7 defeat at TD Garden, the fourth Game 7 loss on Boston ice since 2009, the Bruins were beat to just about every loose puck. Offensive zone, neutral zone, defensive zone. It didn’t really matter, ‘cause Montreal’s forwards and even their defensemen, were beating ‘em to the puck.

That’s, of course, when the B’s weren’t busy giving the puck away to the Habs’ speedier talents.

The Bruins, regarded as the ‘heaviest’ team in the Eastern Conference, and often referred to as a Western Conference team trapped in an Eastern timezone, were way too slow for the Habs.

Just like they were against the Chicago Blackhawks in last year’s Cup Final.

You saw the way that Montreal approached Boston’s bigger talents; They weren’t fearful of what the big, bad Bruins would do to them in the corners like the ‘11 Vancouver Canucks, or even last year’s Pittsburgh Penguins were, they instead went at them -- and then around them -- with their speed. Pucks were dumped into Zdeno Chara’s end with a frequency that’d deem you insane (or with a deathwish, at the very least) three years ago.

Again, for the second straight season, the Black-and-Gold were outworked by speed.

This could become an unfortunate theme for the B’s, too.

No matter what the Bruins say, and regardless of how offended they appear to be when you tell them that they’re slower than team-x, y, and z, it’s not an inaccurate assessment. So while the B’s do a lot (and I really mean a lot) of things well, out skating their opponents with speed is not one of them.

In this regard, the Bruins will have to adapt or die.

I think that anticipated jump from Providence to Boston for 5-foot-10 centerman Ryan Spooner will without question help the Bruins in this area, but is that enough? I don’t know for sure, but I really don’t think so. On top of actually making the roster out of camp, Spooner will have to stake his claim to a spot somewhere on the B’s roster that’ll make him an impact player in the now. Logging ten minutes a night on the club’s fourth line, or serving as the team’s healthy scratch for half the year, really wouldn’t bring about the change the Bruins need or want in that department.

Based on the small chats out of the B’s this afternoon, changes are coming, and one of those changes will likely come with the departure of Shawn Thornton, a staple on Boston’s fourth line. Perhaps the Bruins fill his spot with a smaller, craftier two-way forward that can give opponents fits the way that a Dale Weise or even Danny Briere (on a much smaller scale) did.

At the same time though, the Bruins can’t be reactionary. In Boston, you’ve seen the ways that the Canucks and even the Buffalo Sabres got when you beat them. They tried to become more like you, and that took a lot away from what previously made them a successful hockey club.

As it stands now, the Bruins are a very good ‘heavy’ hockey club.

They’re able to plow through their opponents with sheer, brute force most nights, and their hard-hitting defensive structure limits the opposition’s ability to really pepper the B’s net. That’s still a quality attribute of this club. And one they don’t want to stray away from after one Game 7 loss.

So, in essence, the Bruins are in this rather awkward position of tinkering on the fly while maintaining your organization’s philosophy of being an aggressive club, and that’s why you’re going to hear more silence than promises from the club’s front office in the coming weeks. They’ll simply need to digest everything that’s happening and what it means for next year and even the year after’s Bruins squads.

But if there’s another area of Boston’s game that’ll require some serious consideration this summer, it’s within their defensive depth. Yes, the Bruins were without veterans Adam McQuaid and Dennis Seidenberg, forcing four first-year full-timers into the lineup come playoff time, but this is the same depth Bruins fans were basically told not to worry about one round prior. You can’t say, “See, told you!” when they succeed and then go, “Well, they’re young” when they fail.

That’s just not consistent. And while there are obvious positives that come with the playoff play of Dougie Hamilton and Torey Krug, the club’s two best youngsters on the point, the fact of the matter is that the Bruins need more support back there for their 37-year-old captain.

I honestly can’t remember a playoff series where the 6-foot-9 Chara looked as bad as he did against the Canadiens this year. He was constantly beat to pucks, walked around, and had this weird habit of simply falling down without much of a push from a Montreal skater. Though he was confirmed to be playing through an injury (a broken finger), there’s more there. Chara is, well, getting older.

And once again, the Bruins, as a Stanley Cup contender, will have to adapt or die.

That painful reality seemed to have hit B’s general manager Peter Chiarelli in a subtle way today when he admitted that he should’ve gotten the club a better defenseman at the trade deadline than Philadelphia Flyers spare part Andrej Meszaros, a healthy scratch by the season’s end.

So perhaps the Bruins re-engage with the Canucks for a guy like Alex Edler, something that was talked about a lot before the deadline passed, or maybe Buffalo’s Christian Ehrhoff.

You’d have to assume that the price on either of these guys will be quite steep, sure, but even with Seidenberg, an emerging Hamilton, and Johnny Boychuk, the Bruins could use another rock on their point. And after a second straight year where it’s been exploited as your weakness, that’s no longer a theory but rather an undeniable (and rather inconvenient) truth for the Bruins.

Ty Anderson has been covering the Boston Bruins since 2009 and for HockeyBuzz.com since 2010, is a member of the Pro Hockey Writers Association's Boston Chapter, and can be contacted on Twitter, or emailed at Ty.Anderson[at]gmail.com

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I don't understand the Iginla bashing, he was tied for 3rd on the team in scoring this playoffs with 2 goals and 5 assists.  Yes, he isn't fast, but neither is Lucic.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigBadnBruin. Show BigBadnBruin's posts

If the Bruins go into next season with the exact same roster, they would once again, be one of the favourites to win the Cup.

That's good enough for me. If winning the Stanley Cup is all that some people find acceptable, they are in for a lot of disappointment in their future.

I would love to have Iginla back, but Chiarelli would have to get creative, in order to make it happen. I think someone offers him a 2-3 year deal, so Boston, working under the confines of the LTIR of Savard, would have to move, at least Kelly, Marchand, or Eriksson, to fit him into the cap, without the LTIR money.

I don't see Iginla turning down the security of a multi-year deal, to take a bruins' one-year, incentive laden contract.

If they can't re-sign Iginla, I have no idea how they find another top RW.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to 4everbruins' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

YOU DO NOT GO IN PLAYOFFS WITH A 36 yr old First line rw and then get a dman who was supposed to civer seides .chia can insult fans but I'm not buying it. MEZ is exactly what we needed 

What kind of a joke is that. Loui mr inflated is a big flake.

[/QUOTE]

Funny enough, I thought Iginla was one of the best out there; he came to play in this series (and potted 30 goals for the upteen time in a season), and had a great game 7....came so close to scoring the tying goal as well! Too bad others didn't come to play the same. Was really hoping this would be his year to raise the Cup.

[/QUOTE]

Well it wasn't b hard to be better then others but he was better other then soder who plays on third line. . IG on the second line or

Maybe even third but on the first he just was to  slow and that comes out in the playoffs.  Anyhow I really Don't care if he's back next year. IG has seen his best years and to expect him to be vintage ig on the first line was in my opinion unfair to him and to the fans.  Reg Season is just that regular... 

[/QUOTE]

Why not switch him and Erickson, who played very well with Looch and Kreji when Jerome was out. Iggie with Svedberg's speed and finesse would be getting a lot of good shots.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Scoring problem--Malkin for Rask

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

I don't understand the Iginla bashing, he was tied for 3rd on the team in scoring this playoffs with 2 goals and 5 assists.  Yes, he isn't fast, but neither is Lucic.

Me neither BH. DK (4 assists and -3) was the biggest problem at forward to these eyes. The Bruins would've easily advanced had he played better. Campbell was the only center who didn't outscore him. Krejci played like he jut expected results without having to work for them. The Loui bashers make me laugh. If DK played half as well as Loui then we'd be discussing round 3 right now. The Bruins 1st line center finished 11th in scoring...........on the team. He did finish with 2 more points than Fraser but less of a positive impact. If placing blame has to happen, then that's where I start.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Me neither BH. DK (4 assists and -3) was the biggest problem at forward to these eyes. The Bruins would've easily advanced had he played better. Campbell was the only center who didn't outscore him. Krejci played like he jut expected results without having to work for them. The Loui bashers make me laugh. If DK played half as well as Loui then we'd be discussing round 3 right now. The Bruins 1st line center finished 11th in scoring...........on the team. He did finish with 2 more points than Fraser but less of a positive impact. If placing blame has to happen, then that's where I start.

[/QUOTE]

Krejci is #1 and Marchand is #2 on my list of reasons they lost.  Zero goals from the #1 center and zero goals from a top goal scorer.  The team counts on that production to succeed.  The production didn't come, neither did the wins.  

This is the second time in four years that Krejci has been a ghost in the playoffs.  Two years ago we attributed it to him getting hit by that big piece of plexiglass.  This year?  No excuses.  He laid a giant egg.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dezaruchi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Krejci is #1 and Marchand is #2 on my list of reasons they lost.  Zero goals from the #1 center and zero goals from a top goal scorer.  The team counts on that production to succeed.  The production didn't come, neither did the wins.  

This is the second time in four years that Krejci has been a ghost in the playoffs.  Two years ago we attributed it to him getting hit by that big piece of plexiglass.  This year?  No excuses.  He laid a giant egg.  

[/QUOTE]

Marchand left a bad taste in my mouth as well but he's been on everyone's blame list. DK seems to have escaped the wrath of most people.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

There were stretches in series where the Bruins just could not posses the puck in the offensive zone. That blame goes all around not just on a few players.

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There were stretches in series where the Bruins just could not posses the puck in the offensive zone. That blame goes all around not just on a few players.

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely right San but the blame should start at the top scorer not scoring.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Plenty of "blame to go around." I'm with Shupe and NAS, the better team won and hats off to them. I look forward to their slaughter at the hands of the Rags.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Anybody here ever play, coach organized hockey; even if the answer is no doesn't matter y'all seem knowledgeable. I play weekly beer league but at my level can't relate directly to much since it's so basic. I think the Habs coaching/strategy perfectly exploited the Bruins weaknesses, which combined with their wanting it more (they won most of the(50/50 puck battles) is why they won. Imagine Malkin centering Looch and Iggie - devestating.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigBadnBruin. Show BigBadnBruin's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Plenty of "blame to go around." I'm with Shupe and NAS, the better team won and hats off to them. I look forward to their slaughter at the hands of the Rags.

[/QUOTE]

I still expect Montreal to win the series, but I'm usually wrong, so that's a good thing:)

I thought Montreal was controlling the game in the 2nd period, and was on the verge of tying it, until those 2 quick Ranger goals, which totally deflated the Habs, and changed the complexion of the game.

Price should be ready to go, because I doubt he would have been on the bench, if he had really been injured.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

If the Rangers keep burying the shots that the Bruins players kept missing this will be a short series. Ranger forwards have poise around the net the Bruins lacked and that's the difference. The Rangers dominated the game (just as the Bruins did for most of the first five games); face it, Bruins forwards chocked and the Rangers so far have not. Rangers also haver he best goalie in the playoffs-they could win the Cup with this team.