RFA Offer Sheets.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

RFA Offer Sheets.

I know that there is a hidden gentlemans rule that you shouldnt put an offer sheet on players.  They deem it as dirty tactics.   What are everyones thoughts on this.   For me i think if they are rfa they are available and i wouldnt care who im ticking off.  Yes i realize teams could then target bruins rfas.  For me i love the sneaky side of taking a run at rfa's.  

I think with some teams near or under the minimum side of the cap they may take a run at some of the rfa's available.  

PS....as a side note i think this summer could be massive in terms of star players being dealt.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: RFA Offer Sheets.

I love the offer sheets.  I cannot stand the buddybuddy theory that has killed them.  The option is there.  The players are there.  The compensation is there.  Make it happen!

I want Florida to sign O'Reilly to an offer sheet while putting a big one in front of Stastny.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I know that there is a hidden gentlemans rule that you shouldnt put an offer sheet on players.  They deem it as dirty tactics.   What are everyones thoughts on this.   For me i think if they are rfa they are available and i wouldnt care who im ticking off.  Yes i realize teams could then target bruins rfas.  For me i love the sneaky side of taking a run at rfa's.  

I think with some teams near or under the minimum side of the cap they may take a run at some of the rfa's available.  

PS....as a side note i think this summer could be massive in terms of star players being dealt.  

[/QUOTE]

I agree. Subban, everyone over 30 in San Jose, ditto in Vancouver, all could be moved

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2014&team_id=-1&position_id=F&fa_type_id=1 

I think if a GM calls and tells the current players general manager then there shouldn't be a problem. If the players current team doesn't want to work out a deal then tough make an offer. See if the team matches then move on. Phat Phil dividends still paying off.

Players i'd make a run at:

Kreider, Zucarello, Brassard, Silfverberg, Smith-Pelly and Johansen. 

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you said.

The unwritten rule of not signing players to offer sheets is absolutely ludicrous. Like you said, they are free agents, what would it hurt to try and sign someone you think can help your team? 

And I def agree some big names will be moved.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Should be a fun summer of activity.  With some major team market teams like chicago, leafs looking to deal players.  Habs have 26 million in cap space.   Canucks, Oilers, Caps, Pens, Kings, Sharks Sens Ducks as teams who could be very active.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2014&team_id=-1&position_id=F&fa_type_id=1" rel="nofollow">http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2014&team_id=-1&position_id=F&fa_type_id=1 

I think if a GM calls and tells the current players general manager then there shouldn't be a problem. If the players current team doesn't want to work out a deal then tough make an offer. See if the team matches then move on. Phat Phil dividends still paying off.

Players i'd make a run at:

Kreider, Zucarello, Brassard, Silfverberg, Smith-Pelly and Johansen. 

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

[/QUOTE]

Love all these guys as well.  Smith-pelly gonna be a beauty.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

[QUOTE]

Should be a fun summer of activity.  With some major team market teams like chicago, leafs looking to deal players.  Habs have 26 million in cap space.   Canucks, Oilers, Caps, Pens, Kings, Sharks Sens Ducks as teams who could be very active.  

[/QUOTE]

Especially with a pretty good amount of new gms trying to possibly 'make their mark.'  I cant wait till the madness starts.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Especially with a pretty good amount of new gms trying to possibly 'make their mark.'  I cant wait till the madness starts.

[/QUOTE]

When you look at the franchise type players and captains being mentioned its gonna be crazy.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

One player's offer sheet hasn't been matched by his team since 1997.

Dustin Penner.

The RFA offer sheet and the chances of the player moving is a rarity.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dustin Penner.

[/QUOTE]

Yep.  It's this an not the buddybuddy that keeps the rfas from moving.  And it's as a consequence of this that some GMs see the rfas sheet as bad business.  For the most part, you have to either overpay a player or try to make matching unpalatable before you have a hope of getting your guy. Otherwise the team will match and you're left with your bag in your hands.

Matching the overpriced rfa deal drives up comparables for everyone else based on a false value designed to be above market.  Basically, the system is stupid and designed not to work except I exceptional circumstances or, as in the case of Kessel, to motivate a trade partner.

That said, with Boston's cap situation, I could see someone in the top 10 teams give up a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd if it means they get Krug for $5m.

[object HTMLDivElement]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I'm not wishing for it to rain offer sheets. The B's are vulnerable. They'd find it tough to match even a mildly aggressive overpayment because of the cap. Smith, Krug and Bart might be tempting targets if some GMs who have plenty of cap room decide they are worth it and screw the buddy buddy good ole pal approach. On the other side of the coin, the B's will find it hard to land an RFA with their cap situation.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

The Flyers tried the most complicated RFA contract signing with Weber,a hugely front loaded deal with big signing bonuses attached and a no trade clause attached so that small market Nashville would get very squeamish and walk,they didn't.This tells me that any player worth his salt,and by that i mean a player who is a bonafide all-star or a player with a huge upside, will have his contract matched by his current team,they will not let them walk for nothing,except in the case of Penner which was a wise decision.

I personally think teams will match rfa offers to retain that player just to prove a point and would trade other players from their current roster to make it work.This all doesn't mean that rfa contracts won't be offered,just that none of the players signed will change teams.I don't think you'll see many move,unless of course its a Dustin Penner type player and only Edmonton would be desperate enough to sign Dustin Penner to a rfa offer sheet.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

I actually don't expect much movement from PC. His hands will be tied and the Bs don't really need too much movement anyways.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

In response to Hanrahan1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I actually don't expect much movement from PC. His hands will be tied and the Bs don't really need too much movement anyways.

[/QUOTE]

Do you think PC will be able to improve the team?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Hanrahan1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Do you think PC will be able to improve the team?

[/QUOTE]

I dont see a huge upgrade needed.  Small moves to add depth.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dustin Penner.

[/QUOTE]

Yep.  It's this an not the buddybuddy that keeps the rfas from moving.  And it's as a consequence of this that some GMs see the rfas sheet as bad business.  For the most part, you have to either overpay a player or try to make matching unpalatable before you have a hope of getting your guy. Otherwise the team will match and you're left with your bag in your hands.

Matching the overpriced rfa deal drives up comparables for everyone else based on a false value designed to be above market.  Basically, the system is stupid and designed not to work except I exceptional circumstances or, as in the case of Kessel, to motivate a trade partner.

That said, with Boston's cap situation, I could see someone in the top 10 teams give up a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd if it means they get Krug for $5m.

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  Plus business is a lot about "buddy, buddy".  All people prefer to deal with people they like and trust.  GM's are often in positions to do a "favor here or there".  I doubt Nashville has much interest in any deadline deal that could further Philly's playoff chances.  I always thought these offer sheet  scenarios dealt with the "battle", while forgetting the "war".

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Personally with the hard Cap in the NHL why not sign a RFA.  There is plenty of caveat emptor to prevent wide scale RFA signings.  It is a business.  Sign Subban.  

"Don't judge me monkey" 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Personally with the hard Cap in the NHL why not sign a RFA.  There is plenty of caveat emptor to prevent wide scale RFA signings.  It is a business.  Sign Subban.  

"Don't judge me monkey" 

[/QUOTE]

Montreal would match any offer to Subban.

***Follow Fluto on twitter.  He's awesome.***

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I absolutely think there's middle ground. GMs shouldn't offer just to drive up the price, but if they legitimately want the player why not?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Because they won't get him unless the offer is way over market value.  Because, once they haven't gotten their man, others will be contemptuous (here's where the 'buddy' factor kicks in - the version that steve mentions) that they made a move that had zero chance of success and only interfered in another GMs attempts to deal with his player.  So you might chuckle evilly for a minute at how your $10M offer to Subban has made Bergevin's life more difficult, but the next time you want to deal Sturm for "future considerations" in order to clear some cap room, or deal a few bottom end contracts to make room for new blood - the Yannick Riendeau transaction - no one is going to be listening.  Worse, you get quid pro quo.  Bruins make an offer on Subban or Johansen, Mtl or Columbus come back with ridiculous offers to Krug or Smith.  Boston would have to match, of course, to defend the house, but it would hamstring Chiarelli for other moves.

As long as a team has the right to match, you'll only ever see guys move when the compensation is worth it a la Kessel.  But there is no situation where you can make it so unpalatable to match that you're sure to get your guy short of cutting off your own hand.  Imagine giving up 4 firsts and dedicating 1/7th of your Cap to bring over Subban...and he blows out a knee in November.  You pay twice for RFAs....

Are you not entertained?!?!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to islamorada's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Don't judge me monkey" 

[/QUOTE]

Montreal would match any offer to Subban.

***Follow Fluto on twitter.  He's awesome.***

[/QUOTE]

And he's not worth more than 5.5 mill and will get 9

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And he's not worth more than 5.5 mill and will get 9

[/QUOTE]

Subban at $5.5 but not more?  You're on crack, Jack.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

I absolutely think there's middle ground. GMs shouldn't offer just to drive up the price, but if they legitimately want the player why not?

Capt. Truculence kept saying in September 2009 "Peter and I have had very good open dialogue".

Has Holmgren had problems trading since his offer sheet to Weber ?

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8195994/the-nashville-predators-matched-philadelphia-flyers-offer-sheet-shea-weber

Not at all and I don't recall Poile mentioning Holmgren being underhanded.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I think the Penner signing showed the worst of offer sheets which reinforced the idea that GM's inherently have to overpay when trying to poach RFA's. Good for teams not matching....not so good for those signing.

PC is not in a position to overpay anyone so I can't see him giving out an offer.