RFAs At Risk - Toronto Star

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

RFAs At Risk - Toronto Star

This article gives a pretty good breakdown of the NHL's upcoming UFA/RFA landscape and the potential role of offer sheets rendering RFAs susceptable to advances from other teams who recognize their clubs have no cap space to match. 

It also mentions a significant 48 hour opening starting today to chat with FAs.  Question: Is this in order to get an official head start on Friday which eliminates it from being considered tampering?  Let's hope the Bruins get Rask signed in case some other team(s) may come calling.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2013/07/02/nhl_free_agency_restricted_free_agents_at_risk_this_summer.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: RFAs At Risk - Toronto Star

Officially tampering has been going on for a long time.  If Player A's contract expires at 3pm on July 1st, how could a team announce his new contract at 3:01pm on July 1st? 

Illegal contact, tampering etc. 

It's been a "yeah we know but whatever" type of thing.  Now they're making it more official.

As always, I expect very few, if any, offer sheets to be signed.  Who has recently?  Penner and Weber come to mind.  Sakic to the Rangers, Fedorov to the Hurricanes.  Anyone else significant?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Feeling better about the Rask situation following the Bobrovsky deal.  Have to think that is a range that PC can make work.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Feeling better about the Rask situation following the Bobrovsky deal.  Have to think that is a range that PC can make work.

I read somewhere that Rask's starting point is $7M.  It'll be interesting. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

That's the top of house, Rinne money.  I'm guessing that's not PC's starting point.  Top-10 Cap Hits for Goalies for 2013-14.  Comparable to Price's number ought to be the maximum, closer to Quick & Bobrovsky would be fair.

RNK Player P Team Age Start End Length Amount

1 Rinne, Pekka » G NAS 30 2012 2019 7 $7,000,000

2 Lundqvist, Henrik » G NYR 31 2008 2014 6 $6,875,000

3 Price, Carey » G MTL 25 2012 2018 6 $6,500,000

4 Ward, Cam » G CAR 29 2010 2016 6 $6,300,000

5 Miller, Ryan » G BUF 32 2009 2014 5 $6,250,000

6 Lehtonen, Kari » G DAL 29 2013 2018 5 $5,900,000

7 Kiprusoff, Miikka » G CGY 36 2008 2014 6 $5,833,333

8 Quick, Jonathan » G LAK 27 2013 2023 10 $5,800,000

9 Smith, Mike » G PHX 31 2013 2019 6 $5,666,667

10 Bobrovsky, Sergei » G CLB 24 2013 2015 2 $5,625,000

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Officially tampering has been going on for a long time.  If Player A's contract expires at 3pm on July 1st, how could a team announce his new contract at 3:01pm on July 1st? 

Illegal contact, tampering etc. 

It's been a "yeah we know but whatever" type of thing.  Now they're making it more official.

As always, I expect very few, if any, offer sheets to be signed.  Who has recently?  Penner and Weber come to mind.  Sakic to the Rangers, Fedorov to the Hurricanes.  Anyone else significant?

NAS, I heard Doug Maclean admit as much.  Yesterday he was on RogerSportsNet and said back when he was a GM if he had his eye on a player he'd call that player's agent before the deadline and say words to the effect of "I'm in the market for a rugged, right-shooting defenseman, who thinks defense first but if the odd chance arises will jump into the rush and has strong leadership qualities. Do you have anyone like that among your clients?"  He said that's how he signed Adam Foote for Columbus in 2005. 

To your point regarding players of note signing offers sheets most seem to be matched.  Among them Keith Tkachuk, to the Hawks from Winnipeg for a 5 year $17 milion deal in 1995, I think we recall Thomas Vanek's 7 year $50 million to the Oilers back in '08, the Avs' O'Reilly this past season to Calgary for $10 million over 2 years.  One I remember with ex-Leaf coach and GM Pat Quinn was him signing Mattias Ohlund to one forcing Vancouver to match.  It was big news up here in Toronto - as is all things Leafs. 

Few have been accepted like Petr Nedved from the Canucks to St. Louis for $12 million over 3 years with the compensation being Janney and a 2nd round pick.  Another was Tampa Bay's Chris Gratton in '97 to the "frugal" Flyers, 5 years at $16 million at a hefty price of four first rounders.  Penner's was the only one accepted since 2000.  It was a more frequent occurrence in the '90s with Scott Stevens to the Blues, Brendan Shanahan from NJD to St. Louis, Adam Graves from Edmonton to NYR to name a few. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I read somewhere that Rask's starting point is $7M.  It'll be interesting. [/QUOTE]

Yes very and the reason for me that it is interesting is I don't want rask getting upset at a low ball offer. Part of this "tampering" is agents phoning a GM and discussing an RFA offer sheet because the negotiations aren't going so well with the current team.

Burke would deny it but I am not convinced he was speaking to Kessel's agent the whole time in 2009.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

That is the figure I read and hear about repeatedly.  If there's one thing I hope comes out of this situation it's that those views I read this year from posters who still seem to think Bruin ownership remains somewhat locked in some bygone era despite the team's cap structure and comments from Jacobs are put to rest. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Let's not get carried away here. A $7m starting point is ludicrous. I am expecting something similiar to the 6.5m Price is making. Neither has a cup ring as a number one goalie or a vezina trophty but both are very good goalies.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:

Let's not get carried away here. A $7m starting point is ludicrous. I am expecting something similiar to the 6.5m Price is making. Neither has a cup ring or a vezina trophty but both are very good goalies.

jp, Rask has Cup ring but are you refering to him not being the Bruins' number one in 2011?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Bruce Garrioch @SunGarrioch 1m

Chiarelli says he expects a deal done soon on tuukka rask. has a number budgeted. #NHL

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

Let's not get carried away here. A $7m starting point is ludicrous. I am expecting something similiar to the 6.5m Price is making. Neither has a cup ring or a vezina trophty but both are very good goalie

jp, Rask has Cup ring but are you refering to him not being the Bruins' number one in 2011?

Yes thanks RHO, I meant a ring as a number 1 goalie, will edit that.  That being said I think the 6.5 Price is getting is fair value for Rask.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Let's not get carried away here. A $7m starting point is ludicrous. I am expecting something similiar to the 6.5m Price is making. Neither has a cup ring as a number one goalie or a vezina trophty but both are very good goalies.

$7M is ludicrous, but 9.2% less is reasonable.

Okay.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Wow the Toronto Sun is trying to push the Leafs won the Kessel trade... What a bunch of doodoo. Seguin, Hamilton and Knight. And this is somehow a question?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Haggs: 6yrs/ $42M

KPD: min 3 yrs in $7.3 - $7.8M range

Freidman: "hearing" 8yrs/$56M

Big numbers all around.

My prediction: 6yrs @ $36M w/ Full NMC

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

7 @ $48?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Haggs: 6yrs/ $42M

This is my guess.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Okay.

7m for this guy is just plain stupid.

1.  Hes a restricted free agent.  I dont see rask holding the extra ace here.  We applaud bergevin for holding the line on pk yet we are ok giving rask top money for his position based on a 45 gm season 2 yrs ago and a lock year this year. 

2.  rask has never played more then 45 in a year.  He did that once.  The other yrs 20+ starts.  Hes had success in a fantastic team defense anchored by the best dman.  

3.  He had 2 yrs in the playoffs.  One brutal. One great.

I dont want to rant but look at all the goalie buyouts and traded tenders over the years.   the goalies in most part have been doing it a while as the best in their craft.  Rinne, henrik, miller, kipper and ward.  They earned it with outstanding play Year after year.  Yet we are ok handing the guy with 128 gms started and a 66-45 w/l record that kinda money?   

Give him 5 next yr.  increase after that.  PC is smart.  I dont see 7m next year.  Maybe after the cap goes up.  5.5 is my max for next year.  

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Rask accepted the "Prove It" short deal.  He proved it.

Subban is a totally different story.  He's full of skill and issues.

Rask is total pro and very few teams have better options at net.

Someone would give him an offer sheet on July 5th without question.  Gotta get it done beforehand.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Okay.

I said a starting point of $7m is ludicrous. That being said anywhere between 5.5 and 6.5  anually makes more sense to me. There are other needs to the team as well that have to addressed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Okay.

1.  Hes a restricted free agent.  I dont see rask holding the extra ace here.  We applaud bergevin for holding the line on pk yet we are ok giving rask top money for his position based on a 45 gm season 2 yrs ago and a lock year this year. 

2.  rask has never played more then 45 in a year.  He did that once.  The other yrs 20+ starts.  Hes had success in a fantastic team defense anchored by the best dman.  

I dont want to rant but look at all the goalie buyouts and traded tenders over the years.   the goalies in most part have been doing it a while as the best in their craft.  Rinne, henrik, miller, kipper and ward.  They earned it with outstanding play Year after year.  Yet we are ok handing the guy with 128 gms started and a 66-45 w/l record that kinda money?   

Give him 5 next yr.  increase after that.  PC is smart.  I dont see 7m next year.  Maybe after the cap goes up.  5.5 is my max for next year.  

Then we can describe TT as being brutal in the playoffs in every year but one? Is that accurate? Rask won 7 games in his "brutal " playoff year. Thomas bested that exactly once in his entire career.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

In response to shuperman's comment:

Okay.

Then we can describe TT as being brutal in the playoffs in every year but one? Is that accurate? Rask won 7 games in his "brutal " playoff year. Thomas bested that exactly once in his entire career.

People forget how well he played against the Sabres that year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

don't understand why some are outraged that Tuukka might be demanding as much as 7 mil per....

he's coming off a great playoff performance, why not strike while the iron's hot?....

saying that he should accept Price $$$$, well Price signed his deal last year and hasn't even come close to doing what Tuukka did this past post-season....

i think PC'S no fool and realizes that Tuukka's as important as any other player on the B'S going forward....  

“People think common sense is common - but it's not.”

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

In response to shuperman's comme

$7M is ludicrous, but 9.2% lessreasonable 

People forget how well he played against the Sabres that year.

Agreed Crowls. He gets zero credit for being in the 2nd round but all of the blame for losing it.

Sections
Shortcuts