RFAs At Risk - Toronto Star

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: RFAs At Risk - Toronto Star

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Rask accepted the "Prove It" short deal.  He proved it.

Subban is a totally different story.  He's full of skill and issues.

Rask is total pro and very few teams have better options at net.

Someone would give him an offer sheet on July 5th without question.  Gotta get it done beforehand.

What did he prove?  That he can play goal on a stanley cup cal. team.  If he is worth 7m what is crawford worth with his 85-45 w/l record and starter for 3 yrs and a cup ring?  NAS i think rask is a very good goalie.  There is zero chance he should be our highest paid player after a lockout shortened year.  Rask is a total pro but he sure likes to make his dmen look bad on a mistake.  

someone is pretty limited.  In fact very limited.  I cant name many teams willing to surrender 1st round picks for him.  If he truly means what he says about being a bruin for life i doubt he should be ok with a gradual raise in pay.  If in 2 yrs time he wants the 7 million fine i can live with that bc at least then he would be a starter for more then 20+ gms after backing up TT.  

lets have a look

ducks? Nope likely will deal one, buffalo? Nope likely dealing one, calgary? Yup, please do so Lottery team for yrs to come, carolina? Nope, chicago?, nope, avs? possible with new guys there, columbus? Nope- signed their own dumb deal based on one year.  Dallas? Nope, detroit? Nope, edmonton? Yup possible, also a place no one wants to play in bc its a hole.  Panthers? sure, but they have a young guy there and also a lottery team, kings, nope, minny, nope, habs, nope, nash, nope, nj, nope, nyi, yes, nyr, nope, ottawa, nope, philly, possible but cant see it happening bc they have no money, yotes, nope pitt nope, sj nope, stl possible but they have inhouse options they may deal, tbay, nope leafs, nope, van nope, caps nope, winnipeg, nope

calgary, edmonton, nyi, avs, panthers, maybe philly/st l.  

If any of those teams wanna throw 3 1st rounders our way i say let him walk.  I would say edm cal and nyi as most logical.  nyi i would fear the most.  

I personally think rask hasnt done enough to get a 7m pay day.  not even close.  would your mind be changed had he lost in gm 7 against the leafs?   He definitely didnt look great in gm 7.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

Rask accepted the "Prove It" short deal.  He proved it.

Subban is a totally different story.  He's full of skill and issues.

Rask is total pro and very few teams have better options at net.

Someone would give him an offer sheet on July 5th without question.  Gotta get it done beforehand.

totally agree NAS, PC can't take the chance of this reaching Friday and allow another team to dictate how much he'll have to pay Tuukka in the future....

either way, i see Tuukka back in the fold for the future....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Shupe, I like your post but Rask proved he belongs in the upper tier of goalies and look what they make. Only one on that list provided above has a Cup.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

In response to shuperman's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:

[QUOTE]

Let's not get carried away here. A $7m starting point is ludicrous. I am expecting something similiar to the 6.5m Price is making. Neither has a cup ring as a number one goalie or a vezina trophty but both are very good goalies.

$7M is ludicrous, but 9.2% less is reasonable.

Okay.

[/QUOTE]

7m for this guy is just plain stupid.

1.  Hes a restricted free agent.  I dont see rask holding the extra ace here.  We applaud bergevin for holding the line on pk yet we are ok giving rask top money for his position based on a 45 gm season 2 yrs ago and a lock year this year. 

2.  rask has never played more then 45 in a year.  He did that once.  The other yrs 20+ starts.  Hes had success in a fantastic team defense anchored by the best dman.  

3.  He had 2 yrs in the playoffs.  One brutal. One great.

I dont want to rant but look at all the goalie buyouts and traded tenders over the years.   the goalies in most part have been doing it a while as the best in their craft.  Rinne, henrik, miller, kipper and ward.  They earned it with outstanding play Year after year.  Yet we are ok handing the guy with 128 gms started and a 66-45 w/l record that kinda money?   

Give him 5 next yr.  increase after that.  PC is smart.  I dont see 7m next year.  Maybe after the cap goes up.  5.5 is my max for next year.  

[/QUOTE]

Then we can describe TT as being brutal in the playoffs in every year but one? Is that accurate? Rask won 7 games in his "brutal " playoff year. Thomas bested that exactly once in his entire career.

[/QUOTE]

Dez, i dont want a TT debate, he was brought to boston on a wing and a prayer, he beat out other numbers 1s in boston with his performance.  His body of work before signing his deal was very strong.  i dont wanna get into comparing rask to tt.   TT made peanuts before signing that deal.  After he signed the deal he won a cup and vezina.  

rask on the other hand has been a backup.  Has never played more then 45 gms, had a great lockout year in front of a great team.  i will ask you as well.  If game since you enjoy it.  If rask loses in round one after having a 3-1 lead does he get 7 million.  He sure as heck didnt score 5 goals in gm 7 after letting 4 in.  

To honor him with the highest team contract is re-tarded.  He hasnt been doing it long enough.  Im all for a 5.5, 6.5, 7, 7 , 7 type deal.  Thats great money.  We were giving letang the gears for not taking on such a deal.  His game isnt worth that but at least he proved it over an extended period of time and is defined by his peers as being one of the best in the game.  

Whats crawford worth?  8m?   His record dwarfs rask and has a cup ring.   Has been an actual starter for more then one year.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Shupe, I like your post but Rask proved he belongs in the upper tier of goalies and look what they make. Only one on that list provided above has a Cup.

How has he proved this.  Give me anything to accept this.  

1. Has he been a starter putting up great numbers for more then one year?   No.  

2. does he deserve to be paid the most on this team based on such a small body of work?  No

3. Is he a rfa?  Yes.  Restricted.  Give him a fair deal that allows a gradual increase.  5.5 million in year one isnt a slap in the face.  

4. Has he won anything in his career?   Nope.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

2. does he deserve to be paid the most on this team based on such a small body of work?  No

3. Is he a rfa?  Yes.  Restricted.  Give him a fair deal that allows a gradual increase.  5.5 million in year one isnt a slap in the face.  

2009-10   45GP led the league in G.A.A and SV PCT...

What did Lucic do to earn 6 million a year?

What did Seguin do to earn 5.75 million a year when he signed that extension?

This is the going rate for number one goalies with his numbers Shupe.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

This is what 7 million buys you 

22-12, 11-14, 11-9, 19-10 128 games started, no more then 45 as a starter, a starter for one full year which was the 45 gm season, the 19-10 in a lockout shortened season.  Has held a 3-0 lead and lost, had a 3-1 lead and let 4 in gm 7 until his team came to life.   Life time record 66-45.  

Of all those 10 starters who signed a deal with less then 2 yrs of starter action. 

im all for signing him.  I sure hope its a deal worthy of his entire body of work.  Hes shown me nothing to be given the highest paid deal for a goalie or the teams highest paid player.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Let's not get carried away here. A $7m starting point is ludicrous. I am expecting something similiar to the 6.5m Price is making. Neither has a cup ring as a number one goalie or a vezina trophty but both are very good goalies.

Okay.

1.  Hes a restricted free agent.  I dont see rask holding the extra ace here.  We applaud bergevin for holding the line on pk yet we are ok giving rask top money for his position based on a 45 gm season 2 yrs ago and a lock year this year. 

2.  rask has never played more then 45 in a year.  He did that once.  The other yrs 20+ starts.  Hes had success in a fantastic team defense anchored by the best dman.  

I dont want to rant but look at all the goalie buyouts and traded tenders over the years.   the goalies in most part have been doing it a while as the best in their craft.  Rinne, henrik, miller, kipper and ward.  They earned it with outstanding play Year after year.  Yet we are ok handing the guy with 128 gms started and a 66-45 w/l record that kinda money?   

Give him 5 next yr.  increase after that.  PC is smart.  I dont see 7m next year.  Maybe after the cap goes up.  5.5 is my max for next year.  

Then we can describe TT as being brutal in the playoffs in every year but one? Is that accurate? Rask won 7 games in his "brutal " playoff year. Thomas bested that exactly once in his entire career.

Dez, i dont want a TT debate, he was brought to boston on a wing and a prayer, he beat out other numbers 1s in boston with his performance.  His body of work before signing his deal was very strong.  i dont wanna get into comparing rask to tt.   TT made peanuts before signing that deal.  After he signed the deal he won a cup and vezina.  

rask on the other hand has been a backup.  Has never played more then 45 gms, had a great lockout year in front of a great team.  i will ask you as well.  If game since you enjoy it.  If rask loses in round one after having a 3-1 lead does he get 7 million.  He sure as heck didnt score 5 goals in gm 7 after letting 4 in.  

To honor him with the highest team contract is re-tarded.  He hasnt been doing it long enough.  Im all for a 5.5, 6.5, 7, 7 , 7 type deal.  Thats great money.  We were giving letang the gears for not taking on such a deal.  His game isnt worth that but at least he proved it over an extended period of time and is defined by his peers as being one of the best in the game.  

Whats crawford worth?  8m?   His record dwarfs rask and has a cup ring.   Has been an actual starter for more then one year.  

Rask didn't lose in round one so I'd prefer to not delve into hypotheticals. He's appeared in 2 playoffs and he won 4 rounds. The point I was making is that he wasn't "brutal " in 2011 and that if you wish to describe him as such then you have to also admit that TT was "brutal " in every year outside of 2011. I personally don't think either player has ever been "brutal ". In closing, I'd like to stress that I really hope we don't have to be bombarded with "clown in the crease" threads for the next 5 years after Rask signs his huge deal. He's getting fat cash whether we agree with it or not. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

2009-10   45GP led the league in G.A.A and SV PCT...

What did Lucic do to earn 6 million a year?

What did Seguin do to earn 5.75 million a year when he signed that extension?

This is the going rate for number one goalies with his numbers Shupe.

[/QUOTE]

Kelv, he wasnt the starter the following 2 yrs.   That was 4 seasons ago.  He never hit 30 gms any other season.  7 million isnt the going rate.  Its the highest rate.  Hes not the best goalie in the world.  He hasnt been doing it long enough.  

You are a goalie guy.  What does crawford get next year.  Hes been a starter for 3 yrs.  took over after niemi left and brought his team back against van after being down 3-1.  Played van to ot game 7.  last year got beat by a hot goalie in smith.  Heavily heavily outshot yotes in that series And lost hossa seabrook.  Then is part of one of the best seasons ever by a team.  Has 80-40 w/l a stanley cup, many felt was conn worthy.  Whats he get for 3 yrs of Starter action.  

Lucic and Seguins deals kick in this year.  I think lucic has shown his worth. Seguin deal is dumb in my eyes.  i debate constantly with dez about doing it for extended period.  Well where is rasks extended period of elite play?   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Okay.

Rask didn't lose in round one so I'd prefer to not delve into hypotheticals. He's appeared in 2 playoffs and he won 4 rounds. The point I was making is that he wasn't "brutal " in 2011 and that if you wish to describe him as such then you have to also admit that TT was "brutal " in every year outside of 2011. I personally don't think either player has ever been "brutal ". In closing, I'd like to stress that I really hope we don't have to be bombarded with "clown in the crease" threads for the next 5 years after Rask signs his huge deal. He's getting fat cash whether we agree with it or not. 

Rask had a solid year "4 yrs ago". He lost after owning a 3-0 record.  I call the yankees 3-0 collapse a choke.  I will call this a choke.  Why?  Bc thats what it is whether you agree or not.  The next 2 yrs following this hes TT backup.  He gets starter role based on TT retiring or finding god. 

so you can use hypotheticals for the team scoring more goals in TT year but cant come to any kind of thought that Rask had a 3-1 lead in round one and put his team down 4-1 before the bruins saved his season.  whats he make if hes gone in round one?  Still classed elite.  It was literally 2 minutes away. 

since im heavily against this i reserve the right to be critical.  i guess we neec to wait and see what he gets before the clown in the crease comes out.  

You have to see my point to a degree.  He doesnt have a long enough resume to be paid as the best goalie or highest on the team.  I hate paying goalies bc they are so up and down.  He will earn his money next year as 3 rookies will be scattered in that lineup.  

i hope hes signed.  I just hope next year reflects a team guy, a guy that wants to be here long term, a guy dedicated to winning.  Giving him 7m does not do this as a rfa. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

Okay.

Rask had a solid year "4 yrs ago". He lost after owning a 3-0 record.  I call the yankees 3-0 collapse a choke.  I will call this a choke.  Why?  Bc thats what it is whether you agree or not.  The next 2 yrs following this hes TT backup.  He gets starter role based on TT retiring or finding god. 

so you can use hypotheticals for the team scoring more goals in TT year but cant come to any kind of thought that Rask had a 3-1 lead in round one and put his team down 4-1 before the bruins saved his season.  whats he make if hes gone in round one?  Still classed elite.  It was literally 2 minutes away. 

since im heavily against this i reserve the right to be critical.  i guess we neec to wait and see what he gets before the clown in the crease comes out.  

You have to see my point to a degree.  He doesnt have a long enough resume to be paid as the best goalie or highest on the team.  I hate paying goalies bc they are so up and down.  He will earn his money next year as 3 rookies will be scattered in that lineup.  

i hope hes signed.  I just hope next year reflects a team guy, a guy that wants to be here long term, a guy dedicated to winning.  Giving him 7m does not do this as a rfa. 

[/QUOTE]

I didn't use hypotheticals. I used math which proved that Rask played every bit as well as Thomas yet without the benefit of goal support. You're asking me to pretend that Rask lost in round one. He didn't.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I like the discussion but for the love of God stop quoting each other, it takes me 5 minutes to scroll to the end of the page.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In closing, I personally don't think any goalies are worth 7+ in today's NHL but am aware that my opinion is irrelevant. Rask is going to get paid and we'll just have to deal with it. 

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

Hey you want to give Rask 7-8 million go ahead but i hope he is going to score some goals then,Bruins will have nothing to spend on a replacement for Horton,6mil is plenty,he is restricted,somebody wants to pay him 7.5 or something like that take the picks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to kitchener's comment:

Hey you want to give Rask 7-8 million go ahead but i hope he is going to score some goals then,Bruins will have nothing to spend on a replacement for Horton,6mil is plenty,he is restricted,somebody wants to pay him 7.5 or something like that take the picks.

And who is our goalie then?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I dont know but with six million they should be able to find one,I don't think Crawford is that great of goalie,but they one the cup with him,how about Detroit they one 2 cups with there goalie can;t even remember his name, that kind of says something,how about Philly they went to finals with 2 AHL goalies,6-6.5 max take it or leave it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

all those pix the B'S will be getting back....

my word, we have a world-class goalie here and some are willing to let him walk....

yeah, let's take the pix and draft more Zach Hamill's in the future....  they're surer bets than Tuukka....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Bruce Garrioch @SunGarrioch 1m

Chiarelli says he expects a deal done soon on tuukka rask. has a number budgeted. #NHL 

@NHLBruins

GM Peter Chiarelli confident B's will get deal done with Tuukka Rask "in short order" More on that & free agency: http://bbru.in/17JpHrL  ^CS

Good I don't want the talks dragging. PC wants to get to his next order of business 'Right Wing".

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

my heart stopped when i read that PC'S still keeping an open mind to Jagr....

Briere's willing to sign a short-term deal and feel he's a better fit....  much better.... 

“People think common sense is common - but it's not.”

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I personally think rask hasnt done enough to get a 7m pay day.  not even close.  would your mind be changed had he lost in gm 7 against the leafs?   He definitely didnt look great in gm 7.  

It's easier to pay extra for a known solid commodity, even if it's a bit risky, than to start looking for a new starting goalie!  Imagine if they saved $1.5M/yr and signed a middle of the road guy for three years?  Puke!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I read 8yr/56M for Rask... is that right?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:

I read 8yr/56M for Rask... is that right?

How could we possibly know if you read something right? There are numerous speculative reports regarding what he will sign for. I've read anywhere between 45 and 56 for that time frame. I don't know if any of it's true.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

My guess is still 39 for 6 years. 

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

sorry, thought there was a legit offer on the table that I couldn't find on the net and folks here were discussing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:

sorry, thought there was a legit offer on the table that I couldn't find on the net and folks here were discussing.

Just giving you the business. There could very well be an offer on the table but you probably know as much as we do at this point. The reports seem to be quite varied.