Rick Middleton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claudorr. Show Claudorr's posts

Rick Middleton

Don't you all thik that's about time that the Bruins front office celebrate Rick's career in the Bruins' uniform by retiring his no. 16 jersey? He was a great talent, much dedicated  to his team and scored a ton of goals for the Bs...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle-Salty. Show Uncle-Salty's posts

Re: Rick Middleton

Not to mention a great guy off the ice. I met him in Vermont about 10 years ago (he smokes!) we talked about the Bruins but mostly about golf. Very nice guy and certainly a Bruin legend.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

I would agree to that.
    Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, Patrice Bergeron traditions die hard in Boston

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I'll get behind this if Middleton quits the cigs. I hate those things.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

His teams never won anything.  He has one Lady Byng.  He wasn't dominant.  Top 10 a few times in a few categories.  He was a very good player, but he wasn't a historic force.

No to 16 in the rafters.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

His teams never won anything.  He has one Lady Byng.  He wasn't dominant.  Top 10 a few times in a few categories.  He was a very good player, but he wasn't a historic force.

No to 16 in the rafters.

He's 3rd all time in goals and 4th in points for the B's. Terry O'Reilly never won anything either other than leading the league in majors. Not that his number should be up there either. I don't like the low bar for this sort of thing so I'm on the fence with this one. He stacks up pretty well against some other retired Bruin numbers but again, this is not tee ball. Everyone doesn't get a trophy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:

He's 3rd all time in goals and 4th in points for the B's.

Honestly...that probably should be enough. It is a "team" honour after all, not a Hall of Fame selection after all

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'm going  "no"  on this one, for the same reason jm says yes.  The Bruins could put 100 players in the Hall and that would be great.  If they retire 100 numbers, the guys on the ice will look like tools.

The Bruins' site lists 48 Bruins in the Hall, but that includes short timers like Joe Mullen, Guy Lapointe, Terry Sawchuk.  They've retired 10 numbers.  Three of them are guys who were in the top 14 of the Hockey News's top 100 of all time - Orr, Shore, and Bourque.  Esposito, Schmidt, Bucyk and Clapper are top 50 on that list, and Espo set a completely new bar for goals in his prime.  Bucyk is an icon who has been with the team since before most people on this board were alive - and a 500+ goal guy.  That leaves Hitchman, who was a key part of Cup winners, O'Reilly and Neely.  The last two really work for me in distinguishing HoF from retiring a guy's number.

Retire a guy's number if you can never see that jersey again without thinking of him, comparing anyone who wears it to him.  If he defined the personality of a team for an era. 

Middleton's a case where I don't mind the "Ring Of Honour" idea where you can recognize guys who are in the team hall of fame even if they aren't in the NHL Hall.  More inclusive. Actually taking a number out of circulation needs to be less exclusive.

Are you not entertained?!?!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Personally, I am wondering what player is going to be that coveted #100

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Rick has been playing in charity games.  One of the games was at the rink I play at and I literally almost bumped into him as he came out of the shower.  He's in decent shape for an older guy.  At 60 he's not as old as Johnny Bucyk who is now 79.  I think he could take on some limited 4th line minutes and they wouldn't dress him every game.  The Bruins should probably kick the tires on this one.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

He was great with Barry Pederson!!

Didn't wear a helmet info for youngsters-lol

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

@Badhab: Think he would play for cigs?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Retire a guy's number if you can never see that jersey again without thinking of him, comparing anyone who wears it to him. If he defined the personality of a team for an era."

Frankly Cam Stewart made me forget Nifty!

Middleton is my favorite Bruin of all time but I don't need his jersey retired to remember him. Ring of honor would be appropriate. Middleton kind of falls into the "Jim Rice grey area" of HOF numbers. The numbers are debatable but because of a Boston sports fanatic approach for me, I think both deserve to be enshrined.

The Cowboy Hat on after Nifty scored a hat trick at the garden will always be in my head. I don't need the #16 in a spoked B to remind me how great his hands and instincts were.

PS. Cam might think different though, he really liked Rick.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

No to 16 in the rafters.

you must have been 10 years old n the 80's.

[object HTMLDivElement]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

I'd put him in the rafters. He put up some big numbers and was fun to watch. Him for Ken Hodge was one of the most lopsided trades ever. I seem to recall a story that he came into camp way out of shape (the norm), and him telling Grapes "I had a good summer", or something along those lines. Don didn't take that too well (duh) and rode him hard and really made him a great all around player.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Retire a guy's number if you can never see that jersey again without thinking of him, comparing anyone who wears it to him.  If he defined the personality of a team for an era. 

Are you not entertained?!?!

This is why O'Reilly's number is retired,he defined the way the B's played and lead by example,anytime after he retired if you saw someone wear that number you would think of Terry,thats why none wore it after he retired and no one came along that embodied that spirit.I loved O'Reilly,didn't win all his fights,but never,ever backed down.
    [object HTMLDivElement]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Nifty? Great Bruin,loved watching him play,but retire his jersey? No.I'm with the ring of honour thing though. 

You will never find a more wretched hive of SCUM and VILLAINY.

-Obi-Wan Kenobi

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

One of my top 2 bruins ever (Ray Bourque)....unbelievable entertainer on the ice, excelled at every faucet of the game, Loved watching this guy play the game! If you say anything different that's cause of your age. Of course you could say 1 of the best trades, if it wasn't for the Bourque & Esposito trades but that's still debatable. If you didn't follow the B,s when "nifty" played you missed a great entertaining Bruin.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Peter Douris, Ken Belanger and Marco Sturm wore that number with pride. Who did I miss?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

IMO way too many retired numbers.

WAY too many.

Unretire after 100 years.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

If Middleton - who I loved to watch - is a consideration, then Cheevers should be retired.  He's already in the HOF. He may have not won a Vezina, but he was a big part of the 2 Cup teams in 70-72. And coached the Bs.  And worked in the FO.

Plus, the Bs have not retired a single goalie's number.  He should be the guy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

Had to "you tube" him just to bring back some memories....the pace of the puck with him is uncanny! You,ll never see anyone score more 10 mph goals then this guy did, weather from a deke or just hitting the spot, uncanny. The one move he does on the 2 Habs D men where they go for the box in hit & crash face first into each other is worth the price of you tubing him. "He was there a second ago!"....thanks for bringing his name up! Nifty!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Peter Douris, Ken Belanger and Marco Sturm wore that number with pride. Who did I miss?

KASPARS DAUGIVANS!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

KASPARS DAUGIVANS!!!!

How quickly we forget.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to mxt's comment:

Him for Ken Hodge was one of the most lopsided trades ever.

Plus Phil Esposito and Carol Vadnais for Brad Park, Joe Zanussi and Jean Ratelle.

Thank You Harry!

Who the heck was the Rangers GM ?

Sections
Shortcuts