Right Wing now and years to come. Why not Callahan ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Right Wing now and years to come. Why not Callahan ?

Saftey net if Eriksson gets injured again and/or Reilly Smiths mini slump continues. If Iginla retires or bolts this summer PC has Callahan to try and work out a deal with. Cap going up, money should be there this summer and I also don't see Kelly's money still being on Boston's payroll after this season.

Spooner will be either the extra forward or riding with Soderberg. Cunningham, Fraser and Johnson are RFAs I don't see them beating out Spooner for the 3rd line even if they had another year. Knight, KoKo nor Griffith are not going to make the team as RW or Centers either.

Is the price to high for a cup ? Slats wouldn't trade in the conference ? Would it absolutely cost PC, Spooner ?

I'd make a run. Multiple ways you could slot Callahan in.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: Right Wing now and years to come. Why not Callahan ?

I thought about that this week. I like Callahan . Wouldn't mind seeing him in a Bruins uniform. 

Then I heard a report he'll be looking for somewhere in the neighbourhood of $7M per year on a long term contract.

I like him ........but not that much. If that's true.........pass.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

I thought about that this week. I like Callahan . Wouldn't mind seeing him in a Bruins uniform. 

Then I heard a report he'll be looking for somewhere in the neighbourhood of $7M per year on a long term contract.

[/QUOTE]

If this number is correct and for a duration of 7 yrs as has been reported, then imo it is too long for too much.No wonder Sather is hesitant and he is notorious for signing players to stupid contracts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ditto

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I think Callahan would fit in perfectly w/ the Bruins.  That being said the Rags are going to want a lot in return.  If you deal for him now what are the Bruins willing to part with to get him?   

Also his contract demands are big.  He wants north of 6.5 mill a yr, lot of coin for a guy who's best season was 54 points.  I know his game isn't strictly based on points totals but that's still a lot of dough for him.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Callahan is the type of player who would fit in perfectly with ANY team. Doesn't score like a 7 million dollar player, or get points like one, but he is one. If Juri Hudler is worth 4 million, Ryan Callahan is worth 7 million, easily, and to any team. Can play in any situation.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Callahan is the type of player who would fit in perfectly with ANY team. Doesn't score like a 7 million dollar player, or get points like one, but he is one. If Juri Hudler is worth 4 million, Ryan Callahan is worth 7 million, easily, and to any team. Can play in any situation.  

[/QUOTE]

How come Glen Sather doesn't agree with you?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

too expensive, too oft-injured.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I disagree.  Just because Hudler got handed a bloated contract doesn't make Callahan a 7 mill a year player. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to stan17's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I disagree.  Just because Hudler got handed a bloated contract doesn't make Callahan a 7 mill a year player. 

[/QUOTE]

Exactly,Hudler is a fine addition to the Flames but 4$ mil a yr? Maybe thats what a team has to pay to get them to go to Alberta.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'm using Hudler as an example. There are tons of them. The cap is going up, does nobody here think Callahan wont get the 7 million he is asking for? I would hesitate to call someone having a knee sprain and a broken leg from a Chara slapshot injury prone.

I like him, I like his game and think he'd be the type of player that makes the Bruins just as good if not better than the BlackHawks,Kings and Penguins.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, the contract expectations discussion should start with "If Glen Sather is balking at his demands...". 

Let's be clear here.  Callahan's starting point in these conversations?  Patrice Bergeron.  His agent has looked around the league for two way heart and soul players and leaders and decided hey, if Bergeron was worth $6.5 over the long haul to the Bruins when the cap was $64.5M, Callahan's worth a bit more when the Cap is $71 or whatever - especially if you believe Bergeron took a home town discount. I guess the question is whether or not his logic holds up.  I don't think it does.

C v RW, the C's value is inevitably higher.  Or should be.  Bergeron's FO%, significantly higher per game scoring numbers in terms of career averages and slightly better numbers over the last three years, his Selke trophy, and his clutch playoff performances are hard for Callahan to match.  I also don't think you bring him in with the intent of making a guy who would be no better than the 3rd or 4th best forward on the team the highest paid forward.   Rent him, yes, but with the intent to meet that asking price, no. 

Problem is that there are probably teams willing to suck up that potential cap hit who might make a play for him now.  Ottawa could use a guy like that, for example.  Or the Ducks - if they don't re-sign Penner, there's $6.5M coming off the books in Selanne, Koivu and Penner.  They can fit him in next year and he'd sure fit in in Boudreau's world.  So they're probably willing to pay more than the Bruins should given that they don't really need Callahan.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I'm not questioning whether Callahan will get $7 mil, he will for sure from some team wanting his skill set.I just don't think for that money and term he is a fit on the B's for the reasons Book mentioned. The players salaries are just going to go up from here on out, so players asking for the moon will be the norm,regardless of their stats line but more along the lines of what they think they bring in intangibles,leadership,great in the room,etc. I guess for teams that have the cap room and money its all about how they value the player. For $7 mil @ 7 yrs, the B's don't need Callahan. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

The 7 yr I have no issue with. As much as I love RC there's no way he's worth Bergeron, or Lucic money! Is he worth that money to someone else? Absolutely, but I he's not a 7mill player on the B's. He's not worth more than Bergeron, Lucic & DK.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

And there is also the argument of "I didn't pay Horton that much. Why would I ?...".

I'm also thinking that Callahan might want out of New York, possibly seeing Slats consent mistakes or his last contract go round not to his liking. Also if Slats would only do the deal if Spooner were involved, the more I though about that, the more I would be inclined to decline.

The grit and talent of 6 years in Boston is just very intriguing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:[QUOTE] The 7 yr I have no issue with. As much as I love RC there's no way he's worth Bergeron, or Lucic money! [/QUOTE]

Just curious here...why not ?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:[QUOTE] The 7 yr I have no issue with. As much as I love RC there's no way he's worth Bergeron, or Lucic money! [/QUOTE]

Just curious here...why not ?

[/QUOTE]

He hasn't come thru in clutch situations the way Bergeron has. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

PC needs to focus on finding a capable d-man....

the offense will be ok and i think the third line will only get better once Loui picks it up....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The 7 yr I have no issue with. As much as I love RC there's no way he's worth Bergeron, or Lucic money! [/QUOTE]

Just curious here...why not ? [/QUOTE]

He hasn't come thru in clutch situations the way Bergeron has. [/QUOTE]

Less than spectacular in the playoffs. Love his game though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from madalton. Show madalton's posts

[QUOTE]

Saftey net if Eriksson gets injured again and/or Reilly Smiths mini slump continues. If Iginla retires or bolts this summer PC has Callahan to try and work out a deal with. Cap going up, money should be there this summer and I also don't see Kelly's money still being on Boston's payroll after this season.

Spooner will be either the extra forward or riding with Soderberg. Cunningham, Fraser and Johnson are RFAs I don't see them beating out Spooner for the 3rd line even if they had another year. Knight, KoKo nor Griffith are not going to make the team as RW or Centers either.

Is the price to high for a cup ? Slats wouldn't trade in the conference ? Would it absolutely cost PC, Spooner ?

I would sign Martin St-Louis instead.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to madalton's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I would sign Martin St-Louis instead.

[/QUOTE]

I like it, i hope the B's go for it!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I'm not expecting a blockbuster deal before deadline...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He hasn't come thru in clutch situations the way Bergeron has. 

[/QUOTE]

Oh brother.

How many "clutch situations" has Callahan been in where he didn't come through?

How many "clutch situations" has Bergeron been in where he did come through?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

$7M per for seven years for a defensive forward?

Get the hell out of here on a rocket.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Hey, somebody shelled out for Bobby Holik.

Sections
Shortcuts