R.I.P. Adam Yauch

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

R.I.P. Adam Yauch

Sorry this isn't a hockey story guys but I just had to mention the passing of Adam Yauch (AKA-MCA) of the Beastie Boys. He lost a 3 year battle with cancer and the world lost one of the most influential musicians/activists of his generation. He and the Beasties tried to use their celebrity status to make the world a better place. We lost a great one today.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: R.I.P. Adam Yauch

Was a big fan of theirs in the late 80's and early 90's.

RIP brother.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Saw that on CNN. Definitely remember being an immature teenager listening to No Sleep Til Brooklyn and Fight For Your Right to Party.

RIP

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I was almost as big a fan of their activism as I was with their music. Most hip-hop artists are only concerned with the bling. It was refreshing to see these guys actually trying to do something with their fame.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

My favorites were No Sleep Til Brooklyn & Brass Monkey

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

A day with anyone's passing is always sad; but I never heard of this guy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In Response to Re: R.I.P. Adam Yauch:
    Posted by Wheatskins

Wheats,your more along the lines of Yosh & Stan Schmenge's music,right?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Posted by Wheatskins

Beastie Boys on Human Rights

The Beastie Boys are trying to promote freedom in Tibet.
    Courtesy of EMI

The Beastie Boys may be hard core when it comes to their music, but that's nothing compared to the stand they take for human rights issues. Everybody knows by now that the name Beasties and the name Tibet are closely linked. The Boys participated in the Tibetan Freedom Concert, which took place in four cities last June. They got interested in the cause because member Adam Yauch is a practicing Buddhist who met the Dalai Lama. The Dalai Lama is the spiritual leader and Tibet's exiled head of State. The Chinese have illegally occupied Tibet and oppressed its people since they invaded in 1949/50.

Believe it or not this cause, although a big one, isn't the only one they speak out on. This is where I think it gets really cool. Ever hear of Woodstock? Ever hear of the nightmare that was Woodstock '99? Yeah? Well, the Beasties decided not to play the oblivious artists and took a stand on the fact that female fans were being abused and molested in mosh pits. At the MTV movie awards last year they took the award for best Hip Hop Video and left behind a few words to remember. They urged other artists to "Talk to promoters and make sure that they are doing something about the safety of all the girls and the women that come to our shows." It's good to see a band that doesn't just blindly take your money with nothing more than a "thanks for coming out" at the end of the show.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Should have just provided the link to the Sabotage vid and he would likely be hooked...lol

Here we are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5rRZdiu1UE&ob=av2e

That takes me back.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Should have just provided the link to the Sabotage vid and he would likely be hooked...lol Here we are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5rRZdiu1UE&ob=av2e That takes me back.
    Posted by jmwalters

I got to see them do that live at the ACC a few years ago. Me and some friends went to Toronto for my buddy's stag party. The Beasties were just the start of a debaucherous 3 days which I'll never forget (or properly remember)..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

In Response to R.I.P. Adam Yauch:
    Sorry this isn't a hockey story guys but I just had to mention the passing of Adam Yauch (AKA-MCA) of the Beastie Boys. He lost a 3 year battle with cancer and the world lost one of the most influential musicians/activists of his generation. He and the Beasties tried to use their celebrity status to make the world a better place. We lost a great one today.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Completely agree Dez.  I am still very bummed about it.  RIP MCA!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Heh...sounds like a hell of a lot of fun Dez.

The best part musically about the Beastie Boys, in my opinion, is that they can (and often do) actually play their own instruments. A very rare thing in the Hip Hop community and one that deserves respect.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Heh...sounds like a hell of a lot of fun Dez. The best part musically about the Beastie Boys, in my opinion, is that they can (and often do) actually play their own instruments. A very rare thing in the Hip Hop community and one that deserves respect.
    Posted by jmwalters

That was why seeing them live was so special. Actual musicians playing music. It's definitely a rarity in the hip hop world.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

In Response to Re: R.I.P. Adam Yauch : Wheats,your more along the lines of Yosh & Stan Schmenge's music,right?
    Posted by 50belowzero

They are great for Weddings!

I'm more along the lines of Earth, Wind and Fire, James Brown, The Ohio Players, Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes, Grover Washington, Jr., Bob James, Boney James, Peter White, Chris Botti... that kind of thing.

Not to mention Frank, Tony Bennett, Frankie Laine, Etta James, Marlena Shaw...

And let's not forget Luciano Pavarotti, Andrea Bocelli, Placido Domingo and the Great Enrico Caruso.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Your kids probably listened to Fight for Your Right to Party. Brass Monkey was good too. Its like middle school all over again hahaha

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In Response to Re: R.I.P. Adam Yauch : They are great for Weddings! I'm more along the lines of Earth, Wind and Fire, James Brown, The Ohio Players, Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes, Grover Washington, Jr., Bob James, Boney James, Peter White, Chris Botti... that kind of thing. Not to mention Frank, Tony Bennett, Frankie Laine, Etta James, Marlena Shaw... And let's not forget Luciano Pavarotti, Andrea Bocelli, Placido Domingo and the Great Enrico Caruso.
    Posted by Wheatskins

You mean Francesco Paolo LoVecchio ? Muletrain, Rawhide,who can forget.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babajingo. Show Babajingo's posts

Brass Monkey is my ring tone and, I have no idea why, Intergalactic is my favorite video.

RIP

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Not a huge fan but I did like some of their stuff and really came to appreciate them as artists and activists. Sad to hear about MCA. Too young!

My favorite BB moment is on SNL's 25th anniversary show when they start in on Sabotage and Elvis Costello interrupts and does Radio Radio with the Beastie Boys backing him up.

Dez - this is one of those times non-hockey stuff flies on here. Thanks and cheers!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Good group, sad to see him go, Their cassette was one of the first ones I bought growing up.
    I was a little more partial to Everclear.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I was going to post some of my favorite MCA lines, but there are too many of them.  I don't really get sad when people die, but I'm happy to have seen these blokes a few times when I was in high school and college.  I never cared for the activism, but I sure do love the music.

Paul's Boutique, License To Ill, Check Your Head and Ill Communication are staples in my life. 

Okay, how about:

A lot of parents like to think I'm a villian.
    I'm just chillin', like Bob Dylan.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Anyone who fights cancer is top shelf imb.  As for the Beastie Boys, they saved music with applying melody to rap, me thinks I am overstating for sure.  The best hip hop is what you don't hear on the RADIO.  Soul music ala Motown era is the best.  BTW Ten year anniversary of Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot!  Damn good music... but nothing beats YO LA TENGO.  

Jeff Tweedy's "Bob Dlyan Beard".......ha NAS!

Me best is Cracker.... love the line....  "Lazy bones get your beautiful azz out of bed"..... Irreverent David Lowrey is the best!  Camper Van Beethoven for you old time 80-90s punkers!

Ok that trip is over back to the Bs.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

In Response to Re: R.I.P. Adam Yauch : You mean Francesco Paolo LoVecchio ? Muletrain, Rawhide,who can forget.
    Posted by 50belowzero

You got it, Pontiac?

His sidekick, I can't remeber her name now, had quite a voice herself.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Like I said, I never heard of this guy before. The way everyone is talking about him you'd think he qualifies for Sainthood.

I guess that must make Beethoven, Mozart and Verdi - Gods.

Let's get back to hockey now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: R.I.P. Adam Yauch : They are great for Weddings! I'm more along the lines of Earth, Wind and Fire, James Brown, The Ohio Players, Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes, Grover Washington, Jr., Bob James, Boney James, Peter White, Chris Botti... that kind of thing. Not to mention Frank, Tony Bennett, Frankie Laine, Etta James, Marlena Shaw... And let's not forget Luciano Pavarotti, Andrea Bocelli, Placido Domingo and the Great Enrico Caruso.
    Posted by Wheatskins

Wheats - You've mentioned before that your a fan of soul and with the immortal names you've listed here I can see why.  Quite the eclectic taste ranging from Tony Bennett to The Godfather James Brown.  I can also see some Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding, Al Green, Booker T. & The M. G.'s and O' Jays among your collection.  Well done, buddy. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Anyone who fights cancer is top shelf imb.  As for the Beastie Boys, they saved music with applying melody to rap, me thinks I am overstating for sure.  The best hip hop is what you don't hear on the RADIO.  Soul music ala Motown era is the best.  
    Posted by islamorada

isla - I couldn't agree with you more.  The Beasties and others from the same golden era of rap that included Big Daddy Kane, M. C. Lyte, Public Enemy, Eric B. & Rakim, EPMD, RUN-DMC, Kurtis Blow, Pete Rock & C. L. Smooth, Naughty By Nature, US3 prove the genre as presented today is dead.

Sections
Shortcuts