Rolston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Rolston

In response to Drewski5's comment:

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

I know the B's couldn't re-sign him & I know he drove us all nuts at times, but if there's someway for PC to bring back Ryder at the deadline.... He doesn't miss time & he's scored some huge goals in play-offs. He was a big piece of that 3rd line & if they can't get going maybe he'd get some of Pev & Kelly's chemistry back? That's providing they're still having issues at that time.

That's the trouble with Ryder though Nite. He did miss time with Boston. Unfortunately it would often occur when he was in the lineup.

I know , but who cares.  We are going to make the playoffs even if he takes an occasional shift off during the regular season.

I want him on this team in the playoffs.  

There's a salary cap to think about. That's why Ryder left the B's to start with. Dallas gave him the cash.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

No way does Dallas give up Ryder. The Stars are currently 3 points out of 5th place and tied for a #8 spot. It is crucial for mid-market teams to get NHL playoff revenue, trading Ryder just isnt a smart move.

On the other side of the coin, Chiarelli gives up prospects n assets trades for Ryder and he goes in the tank again. Chiarelli is not dumb, it ain't gonna happen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

No way does Dallas give up Ryder. The Stars are currently 3 points out of 5th place and tied for a #8 spot. It is crucial for mid-market teams to get NHL playoff revenue, trading Ryder just isnt a smart move.

On the other side of the coin, Chiarelli gives up prospects n assets trades for Ryder and he goes in the tank again. Chiarelli is not dumb, it ain't gonna happen.

Considering your first point, touche and good point.   I wouldnt expect him to tank here though.  Ive seen enough to know that he is a good goal scorer.  He has had multiple 30 goal seasons , and had a 27 goal season here, playing with Blake Wheeler when Blake Wheeler stunk.  I would expect him to glyde, take shifts off, and be frustrating to watch.  However, he can shoot the puck, and I think that "sniper depth" is something that this team lacks.

Maybe there are better sniper options.  Im a bit of a homer.  If the opportunity to reaquire him emerged, I would consult Krejci and put a lot of stock into whether Krejci would want him here.  I think a line 1 sniper would improve all 3 lines.  It would improve line 2 because it would allow us to move one of Horton or Lucic to Seguins line and add some much needed physicality to said line.  It would bump Marchand to three, which would improve that line as well.  I like the thought of a Marchand, Pevy, Kelly line, as all 3 can skate.

When I suggested trading for Ryder on another thread, someone said to wait to the deadline and see whats available.  A solid suggestion.  However, this is a year where I would consider sacrificing the future for the present.  We are contenders this year, and if the chance to acquire a line 1 sniper emerges, we should consider.  We are very deep w prospects and young NHL talent.  We could therefore survive moving a first rd pick and a couple of prospects.

Would a combination of a 1st round pick, Caron or Sauve, and Tommy Cross net a line 1 sniper?  (Seriously asking, not trying to be smarmy).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

We are very deep w prospects and young NHL talent.  We could therefore survive moving a first rd pick and a couple of prospects.

Would a combination of a 1st round pick, Caron or Sauve, and Tommy Cross net a line 1 sniper?  (Seriously asking, not trying to be smarmy).

And...who are these great young prospects?  'Cause they ain't Caron, Sauve, or Cross.

The trade value of a prospect declines the farther they are from being drafted unless they do something utterly unexpected.  Lucic, for example, had a total of 19 points in 63 career WHL games.  The next year, he was nearly a point/game player, a 30 goal scorer, and a Memorial Cup MVP.  But from the day they step on the ice post draft, they burn up potential every day they aren't in the NHL.  In this vein, the only guys who are really high value prospects in the Boston system and not with teh Bruins are Spooner and maybe Knight in the AHL, and maybe Camara in the OHL.  Outside chance someone is interested in Griffith. 

Caron has an astounding 2 assists in 30 games in the AHL.  2!  Surely the puck has accidentally grazed his face before being driven home more than twice?  Sauve is a 23 yr old 4th year pro who can't stay on the ice and who seems stalled.  Cross was drafted 5.5 years ago and didn't make the AHL out of the gate.  I hope Caron can come back and play a heavy game on the third line.  I hope Sauve gets another chance to prove he can play in NHL.  And I hope Cross makes something of that draft.  But if I'm the GM of another team, you're not getting an NHL player for any or all of them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

We are very deep w prospects and young NHL talent.  We could therefore survive moving a first rd pick and a couple of prospects.

And...who are these great young prospects?  'Cause they ain't Caron, Sauve, or Cross.

The trade value of a prospect declines the farther they are from being drafted unless they do something utterly unexpected.  Lucic, for example, had a total of 19 points in 63 career WHL games.  The next year, he was nearly a point/game player, a 30 goal scorer, and a Memorial Cup MVP.  But from the day they step on the ice post draft, they burn up potential every day they aren't in the NHL.  In this vein, the only guys who are really high value prospects in the Boston system and not with teh Bruins are Spooner and maybe Knight in the AHL, and maybe Camara in the OHL.  Outside chance someone is interested in Griffith. 

Caron has an astounding 2 assists in 30 games in the AHL.  2!  Surely the puck has accidentally grazed his face before being driven home more than twice?  Sauve is a 23 yr old 4th year pro who can't stay on the ice and who seems stalled.  Cross was drafted 5.5 years ago and didn't make the AHL out of the gate.  I hope Caron can come back and play a heavy game on the third line.  I hope Sauve gets another chance to prove he can play in NHL.  And I hope Cross makes something of that draft.  But if I'm the GM of another team, you're not getting an NHL player for any or all of them.

Fair enough.  I do think that this is somethign that we can exploit ; however.  Baseball is similar in the fact that both sports have minor leaguers.  In baseball, if a guy is drafted in the second round, and has progressed as expected , that player is considered "closer to the MLB" and therefore has more value than a second round pick.  Even if that player hasnt done anything beyond what was expected.

It sounds like rival GMs overrated picks and underrate prospects.  This is somethign that could be potentially exploited.  I guess this explains why second rd picks are so valuable.  Because if you want to bring in someone at the deadline,its either : part w/ a pick or part w/ your best prospect(s).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

If Caron was an MLB player, he wouldnt be considered a bust.  The fact that he has not found his game at the professional level would be taken w/ a grain of salt.  Rival GMs would say, well he's still only 22.  I'm not saying he would have as much value as a recently drafted / top prospect; however, he would still carry considerable value.  As would Sauve.  As would Koko.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

If he's in shape it may not be a bad idea to try to sign him at league minimum.  Defensively responsible and a good soldier who can provide some added leadership for the young guys.

be great to have him especially if Bourque doesnt pan out.