Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play"

Aaron Rome speaks.
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=368691

Another highlight:
    "There has to be some accountability on the part of the player skating with the puck up the middle of the ice -- maybe with his head down not looking," said Rome. "If it's half a second earlier, a quarter of a second earlier, I'm not in this situation".

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play"

Horton didn't have the puck. It was interference. What a dee bag!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play"

Now that's a disgrace.  We should have 120 posts about this. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Unbelievable. The guy has a right to his personal opinion about it, but what is he thinking about saying this stuff out loud? These dirtbags just don't learn...the sense of entitlement is obscene. He feels disappointed that his chance to be out there was "taken away." It was YOUR late hit that took away the ability to be out there, not the ruling. B-bag.

Even better are all the comments from north of the border on the situation. Bloodlust in the worst degree. Man, I hate this team. I hate this team more than the Canadiens. It's the Hab fans that get me ticked off, but the players are for the most part fairly centered. Canucks players, on the other hand, act like they're God's gift to hockey and it makes me sick. I REALLY hope the Bs put them in their place and take the Cup in front of their idiot fans.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

How is this a disgrace? I believe him when he says he didn't mean to hurt him. I don't see him changing his mind at all on the play either. He had a split second to decide whether or not to hit Horton or not. He had no idea whether or not Horton would keep the puck or get rid of it. It's terrible what happened to Horton but it was how hard his head hit the ice, not the initial hit. It's an unfortunate hockey play is what it is.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Call? I partially agree; but you CANNOT fight city hall. With his attitude I guarantee you he wrote a check for his body to cash! There's a time & place to say things. This wasn't it. This will come back & bite him & it won't be from Alex Burrows!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

In Response to Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play":
    [QUOTE]Call? I partially agree; but you CANNOT fight city hall. With his attitude I guarantee you he wrote a check for his body to cash! There's a time & place to say things. This wasn't it. This will come back & bite him & it won't be from Alex Burrows!
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]
    I agree with that it isn't the best time to come out and say this. I don't blame him though. If Horton keeps the puck this is a good hard hockey hit and he is still playing in the SCF. Because Horton got rid of it and Rome finished his check he's now watching the SCF.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play":
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play" : I agree with that it isn't the best time to come out and say this. I don't blame him though. If Horton keeps the puck this is a good hard hockey hit and he is still playing in the SCF. Because Horton got rid of it and Rome finished his check he's now watching the SCF.
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

I just want to clarify.  Are you saying Rome didn't have time to assess and call off the hit?  If so, I say go back and look again. He had plenty of time and chose to explode on Horton anyway.  That's how I saw it.  It's all about intent and I think his intent was to hit him when vulnerable regardless of the "play".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play" : I just want to clarify.  Are you saying Rome didn't have time to assess and call off the hit?  If so, I say go back and look again. He had plenty of time and chose to explode on Horton anyway.  That's how I saw it.  It's all about intent and I think his intent was to hit him when vulnerable regardless of the "play".
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]
    Once you're committed to a hit you are committed you don't stop. That's all I am saying. I have no idea what Rome's intentions were so I can't comment on that. I tend to take people at their word though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play" : Once you're committed to a hit you are committed you don't stop. That's all I am saying. I have no idea what Rome's intentions were so I can't comment on that. I tend to take people at their word though.
    So what  you are saying is Rome was committed to hit Horton high and hard.If that is the case Rome was out to hurt him because the hit was aimed chin level and at that speed was going to cause serious damage.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play" : So what  you are saying is Rome was committed to hit Horton high and hard.If that is the case Rome was out to hurt him because the hit was aimed chin level and at that speed was going to cause serious damage.
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]
    Nope, if I was saying that I would have typed it out that way. He was committed to hitting him and he did. It just ended terribly, I don't think Rome's intentions were for Horton to fall and smack his head against the surface of the ice. Was he trying to hurt him? Maybe, everytime I would hit someone in college that was my intention, what's the point of a hit if you don't remember the pain that person can inflict on you? I am not blaming Horton for this either, I think it's just a hockey hit that went wrong. And I feel bad for both parties involved, moreso Horton.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

[QUOTE]Unbelievable. The guy has a right to his personal opinion about it, but what is he thinking about saying this stuff out loud? These dirtbags just don't learn...the sense of entitlement is obscene. He feels disappointed that his chance to be out there was "taken away." It was YOUR late hit that took away the ability to be out there, not the ruling. B-bag. Even better are all the comments from north of the border on the situation. Bloodlust in the worst degree. Man, I hate this team. I hate this team more than the Canadiens. It's the Hab fans that get me ticked off, but the players are for the most part fairly centered. Canucks players, on the other hand, act like they're God's gift to hockey and it makes me sick. I REALLY hope the Bs put them in their place and take the Cup in front of their idiot fans.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

Totally agree here. The attitude from the Nuckers and their fans is just brutal. Breathtaking arrogance and ignorance. And it is far worse than anything we see from Montreal. As much as it pains me to say it but there is some common ground with Habs fans. Nuckers are just a whole different species alltogether and seem to be the antithesis of everything that is good about hockey and sport in general.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play" : Nope, if I was saying that I would have typed it out that way. He was committed to hitting him and he did. It just ended terribly, I don't think Rome's intentions were for Horton to fall and smack his head against the surface of the ice. Was he trying to hurt him? Maybe, everytime I would hit someone in college that was my intention, what's the point of a hit if you don't remember the pain that person can inflict on you? I am not blaming Horton for this either, I think it's just a hockey hit that went wrong. And I feel bad for both parties involved, moreso Horton.
    No question it was a hit gone wrong.That seems to be the standard answer ( ala Chara hit on MP ) and i can live with that but Rome sure picked the wrong place and time to play the poor me card. By the way i thought Chara play was an unfortunate ending to a basic hockey play.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I believe Rome as well.  Back in the day Scott Stevens made a living outta that type of hit.  Watch this hit.  Doesnt it look very similar?  No call http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mKmYWy-gBU&feature=related

Rome's hit was very late.  I believe Horton was out in the air and the his head went smack off the ice.  And I agree that the so called victims need to stop admiring their pass in the middle of the ice and realize this is a contact game.  "Heads Up". 
    We really could use Horton especially in game 7.  he is money. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from djbosox2004. Show djbosox2004's posts

[QUOTE]Unbelievable. The guy has a right to his personal opinion about it, but what is he thinking about saying this stuff out loud? These dirtbags just don't learn...the sense of entitlement is obscene. He feels disappointed that his chance to be out there was "taken away." It was YOUR late hit that took away the ability to be out there, not the ruling. B-bag. Even better are all the comments from north of the border on the situation. Bloodlust in the worst degree. Man, I hate this team. I hate this team more than the Canadiens. It's the Hab fans that get me ticked off, but the players are for the most part fairly centered. Canucks players, on the other hand, act like they're God's gift to hockey and it makes me sick. I REALLY hope the Bs put them in their place and take the Cup in front of their idiot fans.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]
    ==========================================================
       I really don`t think that the guy mean to hurt Horton.The guy is just being honest.I just wish that he would admit that "if I did`nt leave my feet" to make the hit. In my opinion,that is what caused the most damage.Him hitting UP, instead of straight on.Hitting up caused Horton`s lower body to continue and left him defensless and not able to brace himself before his head hit the ice.THAT was the injury.Not the intial impact.

Anyway,hey did I see a post by you saying that you were in Williamsburg during the `04 Sox season? I live here and am just wondering if I may have run into you.Sox Nation is a beautiful thing!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfanwest. Show soxfanwest's posts

Horton diddn't have the puck, his head was up after the pass. Rome lead with his left shoulder coming up off the ice. I think Rome was intending to inflict pain. Horton's head hitting the ice surely added to the injury. But the intial hit dazed Horton to a point were he was unable to use his own arms to support his fall. 
    Let's be honest here, Rome's an enforcer on that team and that's what he did. This one just went too far.  We got the bad end of it. Who knows, the Canucks may have instructed Rome not to let Horton get position when the Bruins penetrate the Canucks end, seeing what Horton had already done in the playoffs up to that point.     
    Why rome is bringing this up now is beyond me. I guess the media posed the question to him.

GO BRUINS!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]Horton diddn't have the puck, his head was up after the pass. Rome lead with his left shoulder coming up off the ice. I think Rome was intending to inflict pain. Horton's head hitting the ice surely added to the injury. But the intial hit dazed Horton to a point were he was unable to use his own arms to support his fall.  Let's be honest here, Rome's an enforcer on that team and that's what he did. This one just went too far.  We got the bad end of it. Who knows, the Canucks may have instructed Rome not to let Horton get position when the Bruins penetrate the Canucks end, seeing what Horton had already done in the playoffs up to that point.      Why rome is bringing this up now is beyond me. I guess the media posed the question to him. GO BRUINS!!!!
    Posted by soxfanwest[/QUOTE]

enforcer?  rome isnt a known goon-skating clown.  as much as we miss horton, they miss rome.  he meant to hit him for sure. problem is it was late.  a few seconds earlier and we may not even be talking about this. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I don't think Rome is trying to do anything other than throw a big hit, meaning there is no intent to injure.  That said, the hit is late, it's high and it is dangerous and worthy of his suspension. 

Really disappointed that he goes the co-responsibility route with this line, "There has to be some accountability on the part of the player skating with the puck up the middle of the ice -- maybe with his head down not looking," said Rome. "If it's half a second earlier, a quarter of a second earlier, I'm not in this situation.

The fact that he says he would throw the same hit again shows me that he has learned nothing from the situation. Also, shows me that there is little remorse in him for Horton's injury, almost saying, "sorry Horton got hurt by my good/clean bodycheck".

The trade-off of Rome for Horton was a terrible one for the B's.  They shouldn't need any additional incentive, but here is hoping that Rome's comments combined with Luongo's give the B's the little extra fuel they need to come out flying tomorrow night. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Its pretty obvious when you WATCH the replay, that Rome was on Hortons right, Horton passed the puck and was looking in that direction with his head up and THEN Rome, skating backwards, changed his direction and skated towards Horton and lead with his shoulder directly into Hortons head. 

How NOBODY in the league office, Canucks room, BOSTONS room TV announcers, etc., see this and report it is beyond me.  Its not hard to call it like you see it, and that is how it happened.

Its NOT a late interference play, its a completely dirty, premeditated hit in which Rome knew EXACTLY what he was doing.  Horton had no say in the hit because he was watching the player with the puck and was blindsided by Rome.  It makes me completely sick to think that honestly, someone is going to be paralyzed or killed before the league starts cracking down on this sh*t.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]Its pretty obvious when you WATCH the replay, that Rome was on Hortons right, Horton passed the puck and was looking in that direction with his head up and THEN Rome, skating backwards, changed his direction and skated towards Horton and lead with his shoulder directly into Hortons head.  How NOBODY in the league office, Canucks room, BOSTONS room TV announcers, etc., see this and report it is beyond me.  Its not hard to call it like you see it, and that is how it happened. Its NOT a late interference play, its a completely dirty, premeditated hit in which Rome knew EXACTLY what he was doing.  Horton had no say in the hit because he was watching the player with the puck and was blindsided by Rome.  It makes me completely sick to think that honestly, someone is going to be paralyzed or killed before the league starts cracking down on this sh*t.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]Have to say i agree with this version of events as well.But as we've seen, there are people that are perfectly fine with the hit.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

stevens hit on kariya is very similar.  i think the would be victims need to keep their heads up as well and stop watching their plays. 
    i hate watching horton in that position.  he has really won me over. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from djbosox2004. Show djbosox2004's posts

[QUOTE]stevens hit on kariya is very similar.  i think the would be victims need to keep their heads up as well and stop watching their plays.  i hate watching horton in that position.  he has really won me over. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    =================================================
      I agree Shupe that he should`ve kept his head up. But would`nt a nice clean hip check do the same thing? Still would`ve been late,same effect but alot safer.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

But is a late hit to the head a hockey play?Or is it an attempt to make a name for yourself.That is the question.If you look at the hit again and again it doesn't even look like a borderline hit,it looks like a dirty hit.But then again this is only my opinion.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]stevens hit on kariya is very similar.  i think the would be victims need to keep their heads up as well and stop watching their plays.  i hate watching horton in that position.  he has really won me over. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

Seems like the Stevens hit on Kariya is a Rule 48 hit, no? 

As for Horton, it is more of a north/south play IMO, but the flow of the play is to Horton's left and he takes the hit from the right.  Saying Horton should have been looking over his right shoulder in case of a late hit seems like a pretty unreasonable way to ask players to play the game. Late hit is a late hit, and that is the genesis of the awful outcome for Horton.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play" : =================================================   I agree Shupe that he should`ve kept his head up. But would`nt a nice clean hip check do the same thing? Still would`ve been late,same effect but alot safer.
    Posted by djbosox2004[/QUOTE]
    we saw one and yes the art of the good hip check has kinda disappeared.  what happened is players started going knee on knee back in the 80's to where that was their headshot issue.  as a dman stepping up a lot has to do with timing.  Not sure how he lets up at that moment.  It was late.  And the momentum he brought with had him leave his feet.  to say he is a head hunting monster is wrong.  i have a hard time defending hitting and intent.  anytime intends to hit some one arent they trying to catch someone.  i mean there is eliminating the man from the puck which is seen in the corners and on the boards.  but when players go for open ice hits i think the intent changes. 
    its a physical sport.  i have no idea how they change it other than changing the gear, changing the mind set, maybe make the rinks bigger, lots of good ideas have been shared on here.  the game is fast. the players are machines.  i dont see it getting better anytime soon

Sections
Shortcuts