Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play"

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play"

look at however you want- strides, time, blah, blah, blah. horton released the puck while on the spoked B at CENTER ICE. he was contacted AT THE BLUE LINE. late is late, and it was NOT CLOSE. he had plenty of time, he was not skating in the opposite direction as horton. he lined him up, take whatever you want from that- my take is, he was looking to injure/take horton out. it's funny how players make split second reaction plays all game(batting pucks out of the air, stop and changing direction in tenths/hundreths of seconds), and this guy has from mid ice to blue line, and it's not enough time? hey, whatever will help him sleep at night.     

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play"

Thing is, there are too many "Ifs" involved here.  It was late, it was from the blind side, it was to the head, it did knock Horton out.

Ive seen lots of people say, "It wouldnt have been a penalty IF Horton hadnt of been hurt."  Well, maybe not, BUT, IF Rome hadnt of hit him in the head from the blind side, Horton probably wouldnt have been hurt, so there are already problems with that theory.  IF it had of been a shoulder to the chest, then yes, 2 minutes for interference.  Im fine with that.  Its SUPER late, from the blind side and to the head.  Too many "If's" for my taste.

Here is an "If" for you guys:  What if Horton can never play again and has Alzheimer's when he is 40 because of this?  What if Horton had of been paralyzed?  What if Horton had of been killed?  Seriously, come on people.  This SHOULDNT be a tough one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play":
    In Response to Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play" : If,if,if,..........why all of the "if's".Your statement could easily apply to EVERY interference penalty. Basically ,you're saying it wouldn't have been interference if Horton still had the puck. Of course it wouldn't have been. I've totally lost track of what this debate is about anymore.Bottom line(cut and dried) no puck in area = interference("ifs" need not apply). GO BRUINS!!!!!!!!!! 2 MORE WINS!!!!!!!!
    Posted by dezaruchi

So again, with Chara, no puck in the area at all(more so), yet no suspension on a far more violent play based on terms of injury.  Rome's play is cut in dry, but so is Chara's by your definition.  And an interference call was made on Chara.  But no suspension?  right or wrong? 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play":
    In Response to Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play" : Anyone have a clip of this hit?  I seem to remember Stevens being very clean with his hits. Not leaving his feet, shoulder to shoulder (usually) and always when someone had the puck or milliseconds after the puck was gone.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

RWTK,

I added a link in one of my posts.  Scott Stevens(who I loved) was a violent man when checks were checks.  Head shots were legal.  Bell rung was a phrase used in hockey.  Keep your head up when Stevens is on.  Review Stevens hits on Kariya, Lindros, Francis and tell me he wouldnt be a life time ban waiting to happen.  This new hockey stinks.  Just take hitting out so I can find another sport to watch.  Every clean hit is now under the microscope.  Its brutal.  They show this more than beautiful goals and its under the spot light by the media.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

shupe, where in the rule book does it read pushing a guy into the stancion is against the rules?are those areas of the rink, "no touch zones"? that would sure make it easy to move the puck up ice, skate up the benches, you can't be touched. the interference did not cause the penalty, an exposed(on their own home ice) unpadded stancion did. notice how there was a league wide referendum concerning arena safety after the hit? why not a league wide referendum on interference? players get run into the stancions numerous times a year, no penalty or suspension. this got blown out of proportion because it's MONTREAL- calling 911, pressing charges? who else does this?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

How is this a disgrace? I believe him when he says he didn't mean to hurt him. I don't see him changing his mind at all on the play either. He had a split second to decide whether or not to hit Horton or not. He had no idea whether or not Horton would keep the puck or get rid of it. It's terrible what happened to Horton but it was how hard his head hit the ice, not the initial hit. It's an unfortunate hockey play is what it is.
    Posted by callodthedom19

a fair, reasonable, and logical conclusion.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Have to agree with Shup:
    I think the shoulder checks, which Stevens was famous for, have always been legal until recently with the attention around head injuries  The Rome hit would have not have resulted in a suspension as early as last year.  He could have got a penalty for interference, possibly.

These hits were routine in the NHL. 

I don't think he wanted to hurt Horton, but he certainly wanted to lay a good hit on him.

The problem is, and will always be, the equipment.  Until they mandate going back to the soft shoulder pads (and elbow pads) you'll continue to have these tragedies happen.

If you take out the open ice hit (with the shoulder, not the elbow), you remove one of the things that makes the game what it is. 

If Rome had the soft pads, Horton would have gotten right back up, possibly a little dazed.

It was sick to see Horton motionless on the ice.  It turned my stomach.

But, the NHL is blame.  Don't take away open ice hits, take away the suits of armour.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

shupe, where in the rule book does it read pushing a guy into the stancion is against the rules?are those areas of the rink, "no touch zones"? that would sure make it easy to move the puck up ice, skate up the benches, you can't be touched. the interference did not cause the penalty, an exposed(on their own home ice) unpadded stancion did. notice how there was a league wide referendum concerning arena safety after the hit? why not a league wide referendum on interference? players get run into the stancions numerous times a year, no penalty or suspension. this got blown out of proportion because it's MONTREAL- calling 911, pressing charges? who else does this?
    Posted by adkbeesfan

5 minute interference penalty was called in the play. No ifs or buts, he ran a player (or the gentle term angled) him into the stancion.  Cut and dry, 5 minute penalty by the officials and kicked outta the game.    Again, and Again I will state I support Chara's play as a hockey play.  But no one will convince me he didnt mean to hit him.   I don't think Chara is a dirty player and I don't think the hit was dirty.  I don't think the Rome hit was dirty either.  I think it was a late hit and he deserved a suspension. 
    I think the league has a lot of issues it has to dig into.  We as fans see things differently and we reply out of emotions a lot of time.  I personally hate all this head shot crap.  Its tiring and taking away from the game. 
    As Shawn Thorton said to the reporter. "stop hitting players in the head".  There is zero chance this happens.  ZERO.  Players can control themself(at times) but they can't control outcomes of hits legal or not.  They can't control players movement when hitting them(like Lucic on Spacek, who didnt have the puck and put himself in a horrible position).  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

They can control leaving their feet and aiming for the neck, chin , head area. Rome knew he was doing this he had enough time to line Horton up.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't think the hit was that bad, and have tried to think that Rome isn't a bad guy for making it.  However, the absense of any sort of apology in his statement tells me that he really doesn't get it.  Perhaps he will be kncked out cold at some point in his career, on a late hit, when he doesn't have the puck, and he can consider anothe rperspective on this.

The other point that really unnerves me is saying that Horton should have had his head up.  So many players have now weighed in on what utter nonsense that is.  Horton DID have his head up.  But was was doing what every other player does when you make a pass right along the blue line -- you watch the puck so you can time your rush not to be offsides.

Watch the replay, Horton is not "admiring" his pass.  He is timing his skating with the puck so he isn't offsides.

Rome and Vignault have been surprisingly cold and pigheaded about this.  You would expect a little more.  Hopefully they do not have a happy ending to this story. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

They can control leaving their feet and aiming for the neck, chin , head area. Rome knew he was doing this he had enough time to line Horton up.
    Posted by 50belowzero

50- i agree with you.  but go watch any scott stevens hit.  he is off the ice in most.  I am not sure if it is the momentum or the lunge but a lot of players when impact is reached are off their feet.  not saying it is legal.  i am just saying it happens.  I will state the hit was late, but I dont think it was dirty

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I don't think the hot was that bad, and have tried to think that Rome isn't a bad guy for making it.  However, the absense of any sort of apology in his statement tells me that he really doesn't get it.  Perhaps he will be kncked out cold at some point in his career, on a late hit, when he doesn't have the puck, and he can consider anothe rperspective on this. The other point that really unnerves me is saying that Horton should have had his head up.  So many players have now weighed in on what utter nonsense that is.  Horton DID have his head up.  But was was doing what every other player does when you make a pass right along the blue line -- you watch the puck so you can time your rush not to be offsides. Watch the replay, Horton is not "admiring" his pass.  He is timing his skating with the puck so he isn't offsides. Rome and Vignault have been surprisingly cold and pigheaded about this.  You would expect a little more.  Hopefully they do not have a happy ending to this story. 
    Posted by Fletcher1

Good post and I agree with just about everything in there.  The only thing I can add which is very evident in a lot of these questionable hits is that the victims ARE putting themselves in vulnerable positions(Like Spacek and DK and Eberle, even Savards recent one).  I would say if we could look at all the video we likely could find one element of each hit where the victim could have and should have known better.  Horton knows the golden rule of skating down the middle of the ice.  NO he shouldnt be hit late.  Yes Rome hit late.  But doesnt Horton need to know who is on the ice.  Brett Hull had a great interview on this subject.  when Stevie Y was on you had a skill shift.  When Bob Bassen was on you better know he is gonna try and plant you.  Scott Stevens uttered "YOU ARE NEXT".  I don't think he meant to buy him dinner.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from War-Eagle. Show War-Eagle's posts

Mr. Rome should consider himself fortunate that it was the 2010 - 2011 version of the Bruins and not an of a number or any other years version of the Black and Gold , I can think of numerous former players that would have chased him into the locker room had he placed that hit on one of their teammates and a few coaches that would have raced those players to get to Aaron. Had this happend just a few years back Rome would have been burning in ole beantown.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

@shuperman and dez (and others contributing to this civil discussion)...

As I watched  Bob McKenzie on TSN shortly after the hits (I think it was during the next intermission) he mentioned that the NHL has a limit of a half second after the player releases the puck where the hit is considered 'late' and illegal.

He went on to say that there are 28 frames per second in high definition digital 'film' and that they counted 28-29 frames after the puck left Horton's stick that Rome hit him...this means Horton did not have the puck for a full second when he got clocked.

At full or even partial speed, a lot can happen in a second...we've seen a team make an end to end rush and score with only a few seconds on the clock.

...and BTW after passing the puck, Horton was NOT looking down or in the stands at the hot girl in row 3 - he was looking at Lucic...saw that he has received his pass cleanly...realized that if he hustled he could break for the slot for a possible return pass...did a 'giddy up' and two full strides while changing his focus from the north-west to the north part of the ice before getting levelled by Rome. Pretty easy to see in the replay.

Another factor in this fiasco (as Donald S. Chery Has mentioned over and over) is the shoulder and elbow pad protection (kevlar). A switch to more traditional protection would definitely cut down on injuries and let the receiver stay in the game(s) more often than not.

Just my CDN $0.02

P.S. For all the Americans out there who think that all of Canada is pulling for Vancouver and our politicians/Bruins' fans look like the guy in the story: "Nova Scotia is pulling for the Bruins", well it simple isn't true!!!!

Later.

Sections
Shortcuts