Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play"

In Response to Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play":
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play" : Seems like the Stevens hit on Kariya is a Rule 48 hit, no?  As for Horton, it is more of a north/south play IMO, but the flow of the play is to Horton's left and he takes the hit from the right.  Saying Horton should have been looking over his right shoulder in case of a late hit seems like a pretty unreasonable way to ask players to play the game. Late hit is a late hit, and that is the genesis of the awful outcome for Horton.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

crowls,
    i am in full agreement.  but the league shouldnt have to tell these players to keep their heads up.  it was taught as soon as they learned how to skate.  the Bergeron hit on DK is a prime example.  who teaches players to skate up the ice backwards looking for a pass with their head down?  DK obviously didnt learn from last year. 
    I am not trying to place blame on Horton. But I have seen a lot of hits around the league where I shake my head and say what was that guy thinking.  The Mitchell hit on Toews was an absolute monster hit.  Now its being taken out. 
    One final aspect of my thoughts are that I can see the league taking open ice hits outta hockey.  It seems that this is where the game is heading.  Nothing is legal.  A guys shoulder is attached to his head.  Its next to impossible for a player(especially with the size differences) not to hit the odd melon. 
    I don't like the way that every hit is under review. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play"

If anyone doesnt think Horton has his head up, they, themselves, have their head up their assses.  HE HAD HIS HEAD UP, THE WHOLE WAY!  He isnt looking in Romes direction because he is watching his teammate with the puck, and Rome CLEARLY comes from his blind side.  Is a player supposed to be looking at EVERY opposing player in case of a late, dirty hit!?  Come on people, get real.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

Not supprising; this is why he has 3 game misconducts JUST THIS SEASON.  This  guy is out of control.  This statement shows that penalties do not deter him.  He will keep it up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play":
    [QUOTE]If anyone doesnt think Horton has his head up, they, themselves, have their head up their assses.  HE HAD HIS HEAD UP, THE WHOLE WAY!  He isnt looking in Romes direction because he is watching his teammate with the puck, and Rome CLEARLY comes from his blind side.  Is a player supposed to be looking at EVERY opposing player in case of a late, dirty hit!?  Come on people, get real.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]
    Heads up is a hockey term that obviously isnt used anymore.  The old phrase"heads up".  Meaning someone is coming.  My question to you is what is Horton doing watching a pass in the middle of the ice to a team mate.  And that isnt an attack on you.  I seriously wanna know why Horton is watching a pass in murderers lane. 
    It was a late hit for sure.  I just don't think its a dirty hit.  Suspenable yes.  I guess they will have to add to the definition of head hit as head hit-dirty hit. 
    Again, this isnt on you.  I am just frustrated by the way the league is going and it seems our players are the poster boys for this. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play" : Once you're committed to a hit you are committed you don't stop. That's all I am saying. I have no idea what Rome's intentions were so I can't comment on that. I tend to take people at their word though.
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]
    Really, because I thought you were among the masses who felt Lucic should've held up on Spacek enen though he was already committed. Rome was pissed after having a shouting match from the bench with Thornton. He promptly ran Horton during his next shift. I don't need to call Matlock to help me solve this case. BTW, you stated in an earlier post that the hit would've been fine "if" it had been made earlier. The minute "if" comes into the equation, the argument goes out the window.
    GO BRUINS!!!!!!!!!   2 MORE WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I think the rule will be changed from a blind side head hit to just a head hit period.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play" : Really, because I thought you were among the masses who felt Lucic should've held up on Spacek enen though he was already committed. Rome was pissed after having a shouting match from the bench with Thornton. He promptly ran Horton during his next shift. I don't need to call Matlock to help me solve this case. BTW, you stated in an earlier post that the hit would've been fine "if" it had been made earlier. The minute "if" comes into the equation, the argument goes out the window. GO BRUINS!!!!!!!!!   2 MORE WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    I was not one of those who felt that way about the spacek hit. I was among the crowd that felt spacek put himself in that position. It doesn't go out the window at all. If Horton had the puck I don't think the hit would be reviewable. It was a bad hit because it was late and the shoulder made contact with the head. "If" Horton had the puck he more than likely wouldn't have been in that position.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play" : Heads up is a hockey term that obviously isnt used anymore.  The old phrase"heads up".  Meaning someone is coming.  My question to you is what is Horton doing watching a pass in the middle of the ice to a team mate.  And that isnt an attack on you.  I seriously wanna know why Horton is watching a pass in murderers lane.  It was a late hit for sure.  I just don't think its a dirty hit.  Suspenable yes.  I guess they will have to add to the definition of head hit as head hit-dirty hit.  Again, this isnt on you.  I am just frustrated by the way the league is going and it seems our players are the poster boys for this. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    Shupe, he's watching his teammate because he'd already taken 3 full strides after making the pass. That's generally enough time that he no longer should've felt vulnerable skating through "murderer's lane". 3 game misconducts in a season in which he appeared in only 56 games tells me that Rome ,at best, makes poor decisions, and at worst, is purposely dangerous, making him no different than Matt Cooke. He likely falls somewhere in between and it's just not good enough. He should shut his yap.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play" : I was not one of those who felt that way about the spacek hit. I was among the crowd that felt spacek put himself in that position. It doesn't go out the window at all. If Horton had the puck I don't think the hit would be reviewable. It was a bad hit because it was late and the shoulder made contact with the head. "If" Horton had the puck he more than likely wouldn't have been in that position.
    That's what I'm getting at Call. Horton didn't have the puck so the hit is dirty. It's cut and dried.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play" : Really, because I thought you were among the masses who felt Lucic should've held up on Spacek enen though he was already committed. Rome was pissed after having a shouting match from the bench with Thornton. He promptly ran Horton during his next shift. I don't need to call Matlock to help me solve this case. BTW, you stated in an earlier post that the hit would've been fine "if" it had been made earlier. The minute "if" comes into the equation, the argument goes out the window. GO BRUINS!!!!!!!!!   2 MORE WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dez,
    What if Horton gets up?  Whats the call?  Again, friendly question with no devils advocate from me.  I seriously wanna know if that is a suspendable hit, the biggest suspension in finals history? 
    I said Lucic hit was on Lucic and it was.  But this also goes back to my argument about the victims being dumb.  How do you skate away or turn your numbers with Lucic coming at him.  Rome was hit from behind against SJ.  No penalty.  I think the consistancy is garbage.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play" : That's what I'm getting at Call. Horton didn't have the puck so the hit is dirty. It's cut and dried.

So every hit where the player doesnt have the puck is dirty?  Really?  I find this nearly impossible to comprehend.  And I am not trying to put words in your mouth.  But Max didnt have the puck when Chara hit him.  Spacek didnt have the puck when Lucic hit him. 
    Its not cut and dry at all.  Numerous calls like the hit on Rome wasnt even a penalty.  If it were cut and dry players and even us bone head fans would know what is right and wrong.  we dont. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play" : That's what I'm getting at Call. Horton didn't have the puck so the hit is dirty. It's cut and dried.
    I never said the hit wasn't dirty. I said I don't think Rome intended to put him in the hospital or to have the result that happened, happen.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Dez,

For the record I defended Chara's hit as a hockey play.  But you can't tell me in your heart of hearts that he didnt know what he was doing on his hit.  He had a thing going with him for a while.  He had the opportunity and then he acts.  Is this any different than you analogy of Rome yapping and then Rome hitting? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play" : So every hit where the player doesnt have the puck is dirty?  Really?  I find this nearly impossible to comprehend.  And I am not trying to put words in your mouth.  But Max didnt have the puck when Chara hit him.  Spacek didnt have the puck when Lucic hit him.  Its not cut and dry at all.  Numerous calls like the hit on Rome wasnt even a penalty.  If it were cut and dry players and even us bone head fans would know what is right and wrong.  we dont. 
    Shupe, I clearly stated that Horton took 3 strides after dishing the puck which should leave him safe from being run. Of course guys can finish their checks but it's got to be reasonable. That wasn't. What's cut and dried is what actually happenned. My point is that you guys are bringing "what ifs" into the equation and they are irrelevant because we all know what actually happenned.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play" : Shupe, I clearly stated that Horton took 3 strides after dishing the puck which should leave him safe from being run. Of course guys can finish their checks but it's got to be reasonable. That wasn't. What's cut and dried is what actually happenned. My point is that you guys are bringing "what ifs" into the equation and they are irrelevant because we all know what actually happenned. GO BRUINS!!!!!!!!!   2 MORE WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dez,
    I am not trying to argue with you.  You know your hockey.  You are a smart dude.  What is the avg time it takes to make 3 steps in the NHL.  At top speed.  Combine two trains going in the same direction.  At what point does Rome say I am gonna injure this guy with a dirty hit.  Had he drilled him with an elbow I would agree dirty.  But he didnt.  He stepped up trying to make an open ice hit and it was late.  I just don't think its dirty.  And back to cut and dry.  If Rome's play is cut and dry how is Chara's play not so cut and dry?  Again, taking into account that I am defending Chara's hit.  Watch where the puck is when Chara turnbuckles him.  Its across the blueline.  And how does Rome get 4 games.  I said likely 2.  did you really think he would get tossed for 4 games?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play" : Seems like the Stevens hit on Kariya is a Rule 48 hit, no?  As for Horton, it is more of a north/south play IMO, but the flow of the play is to Horton's left and he takes the hit from the right.  Saying Horton should have been looking over his right shoulder in case of a late hit seems like a pretty unreasonable way to ask players to play the game. Late hit is a late hit, and that is the genesis of the awful outcome for Horton.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with this..

Whatever, that hit on Horton probably cost the Bruins the Cup..So in the off season Mr. Rome can actually look in the mirror and be satisfied that his one hit affected the outcome of the Stanley Cup Finals.. He made a significant contribution to the demise of the opposition.. Bruins miss Horton real bad, and no Ryder, Seguin is going to compensate for that..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from djbosox2004. Show djbosox2004's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play" : Dez, I am not trying to argue with you.  You know your hockey.  You are a smart dude.  What is the avg time it takes to make 3 steps in the NHL.  At top speed.  Combine two trains going in the same direction.  At what point does Rome say I am gonna injure this guy with a dirty hit.  Had he drilled him with an elbow I would agree dirty.  But he didnt.  He stepped up trying to make an open ice hit and it was late.  I just don't think its dirty.  And back to cut and dry.  If Rome's play is cut and dry how is Chara's play not so cut and dry?  Again, taking into account that I am defending Chara's hit.  Watch where the puck is when Chara turnbuckles him.  Its across the blueline.  And how does Rome get 4 games.  I said likely 2.  did you really think he would get tossed for 4 games?
    ======================================================
      I see your point Shupe but isn`t there a big difference between the Chara hit when you`re skating in the same direction and shoving the guy almost side by side as to stopping and delivering a blind side hit?
       Not arguing,just offering opinion.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play" : ======================================================   I see your point Shupe but isn`t there a big difference between the Chara hit when you`re skating in the same direction and shoving the guy almost side by side as to stopping and delivering a blind side hit?    Not arguing,just offering opinion.
    Posted by djbosox2004[/QUOTE]
    djs,
    No worries, good points from all sides on this.  To answer your question I think the end result was far worse for Max over Horton. But time will tell but both had concusions.  Again, I defended Chara's hit as a hockey play.  But I do believe he meant to do it.   Not the injury but I believe he knew exactly what he was doing.  I believe Rome knew what he was doing and I dont think he intended to injure or that he is a dirty player.  I think his timing was off and he deserved his suspension.  And yes I can see why he said he would step up in the middle and do that hit again.  If he stops hitting he will be back in the minors. 
    I can assure you of a couple things.  Max will never play chicken with a monster again and Horton likely has his head on a swivel going through the middle of the ice.  Again, if Rome is 2 steps early that is on Rock-em-Sock-em next year.  
    But my thoughts are that open ice hitting will just be eliminated soon.  Its where all the major injuries are happening.  Players putting themselves in vulnerable positions combined with players looking for big open ice hits is a recipe for dissaster. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play" : Nope, if I was saying that I would have typed it out that way. He was committed to hitting him and he did. It just ended terribly, I don't think Rome's intentions were for Horton to fall and smack his head against the surface of the ice. Was he trying to hurt him? Maybe, everytime I would hit someone in college that was my intention, what's the point of a hit if you don't remember the pain that person can inflict on you? I am not blaming Horton for this either, I think it's just a hockey hit that went wrong. And I feel bad for both parties involved, moreso Horton.

I agree with your explaination, and I appriciate how you handle it when someone reads what they want into your post, niot what you actually said. People tend to read into things what they want to see and hear. I'm probably as guilty as anyone.
    My position on this, and will continue to be, is that we must get rid of those shoulder 'pads'. Shawn Thorton and Mark Recchi both have old style pads, and both believe that they are the cause of most of these injuries. If Rome has little pads, and not the armour he is wearing, I believe Horton gets up from that hit. 

The biggest difference between the 2 type of pads, is that the guy delivering the hit also feels the hit. He'll know what the force is, and can also get hurt to some degree. They MUST remove these pads immediately.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

A couple things...

My beef is with the attitude and the timing of the comments. It reeks of entitlement, and to say these things at this time in the series is egotistical.

As for the hit...Rome could've lowered his shoulder into Horton's chest or hit hip-to-hip. I don't have much of a problem with him going for the hit, even if it ended up being a little late. He was standing up at the Blue line and wanted to make a statement that the lane was closed. I'm ok with that.

It's how he executed it that was the issue. Rome's explosion upwards into the neck/chin/head area is something that the league needs to get rid of. Should be an easy fix, but they keep messing it up. ANY hit to the head should be whistled. All the other stuff (angles, intent, what body part is used, etc) should be irrelevant. Hit someone anywhere above the shoulder = 5 minute penalty, game suspension and review for additional discipline.

I don't get why this would be up for debate.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[QUOTE]Anyway,hey did I see a post by you saying that you were in Williamsburg during the `04 Sox season? I live here and am just wondering if I may have run into you.Sox Nation is a beautiful thing!!
    Posted by djbosox2004[/QUOTE]

yup - was a manager at busch gardens for several years. Had to work most nights, so we convinced security base to give game updates over park radios. Good times.

did you have a local watering hole as home base for watching games?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play" : I agree with your explaination, and I appriciate how you handle it when someone reads what they want into your post, niot what you actually said. People tend to read into things what they want to see and hear. I'm probably as guilty as anyone. My position on this, and will continue to be, is that we must get rid of those shoulder 'pads'. Shawn Thorton and Mark Recchi both have old style pads, and both believe that they are the cause of most of these injuries. If Rome has little pads, and not the armour he is wearing, I believe Horton gets up from that hit.  The biggest difference between the 2 type of pads, is that the guy delivering the hit also feels the hit. He'll know what the force is, and can also get hurt to some degree. They MUST remove these pads immediately.
    Posted by perrysound[/QUOTE]
    I am 100% with you on this one. The new pads are getting harder and harder and causing more damage IMO. I mean, there are players who look like actual robots out on the ice (Phaneuf).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]A couple things... My beef is with the attitude and the timing of the comments. It reeks of entitlement, and to say these things at this time in the series is egotistical. As for the hit...Rome could've lowered his shoulder into Horton's chest or hit hip-to-hip. I don't have much of a problem with him going for the hit, even if it ended up being a little late. He was standing up at the Blue line and wanted to make a statement that the lane was closed. I'm ok with that. It's how he executed it that was the issue. Rome's explosion upwards into the neck/chin/head area is something that the league needs to get rid of. Should be an easy fix, but they keep messing it up. ANY hit to the head should be whistled. All the other stuff (angles, intent, what body part is used, etc) should be irrelevant. Hit someone anywhere above the shoulder = 5 minute penalty, game suspension and review for additional discipline. I don't get why this would be up for debate.  
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

Perry- we are on the same wave length in regards to gear.  Also think they may have to look into allowing dmen to hold up a bit again.  Its like a kickoff in football where they all get this skating head start and have a field day. 
    Gear- go back to the old style shoulder and more importantly elbow pads.  Get rid of the one piece sticks.
    Rules- get rid of no touch icing, removing the red line also increases the speed of players in the neutral zone.  They may have to look at this as well.  They want a fast wide open style of hockey.  Problem is that all the injuries have come along with it.  Also, let goalies play the puck. 

asmaha- good post. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome: "If I could go back, I'd wish he didn't get hurt but I don't think it would change my decision on the play" : djs, No worries, good points from all sides on this.  To answer your question I think the end result was far worse for Max over Horton. But time will tell but both had concusions.  Again, I defended Chara's hit as a hockey play.  But I do believe he meant to do it.   Not the injury but I believe he knew exactly what he was doing.  I believe Rome knew what he was doing and I dont think he intended to injure or that he is a dirty player.  I think his timing was off and he deserved his suspension.  And yes I can see why he said he would step up in the middle and do that hit again.  If he stops hitting he will be back in the minors.  I can assure you of a couple things.  Max will never play chicken with a monster again and Horton likely has his head on a swivel going through the middle of the ice.  Again, if Rome is 2 steps early that is on Rock-em-Sock-em next year.   But my thoughts are that open ice hitting will just be eliminated soon.  Its where all the major injuries are happening.  Players putting themselves in vulnerable positions combined with players looking for big open ice hits is a recipe for dissaster. 
    If,if,if,..........why all of the "if's".Your statement could easily apply to EVERY interference penalty. Basically ,you're saying it wouldn't have been interference if Horton still had the puck. Of course it wouldn't have been. I've totally lost track of what this debate is about anymore.Bottom line(cut and dried) no puck in area = interference("ifs" need not apply).
    GO BRUINS!!!!!!!!!! 2 MORE WINS!!!!!!!!

25. This post has been removed.