Rome With Another Dirty Play.........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

Re: Rome With Another Dirty Play.........

In Response to Re: Rome With Another Dirty Play.........:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome With Another Dirty Play......... : Let me ask you this; If he doesn't turn his head will Rome's elbow (fore-arm) still hit the head ?  I say it does and that's illegal today.  When I started a thread in the pre-season about all the suspensions many said I was over reacting.  BTW love your screen shots. 
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

I mean, look at the third photo that I just linked, can you honestly say Rome is leading leading with his elbow and targetting the head?. That is right before the contact.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome With Another Dirty Play......... : watch it in slow motion, he definitely turns into it and drops his head 1.  2.  3. sorry. blatantly turned into him.
    Posted by Olsonicator[/QUOTE]
    and if you continue your frame by frame you'll notice that Smith-Pelley attempts to stand straight up in order to get his head/torso out of the way so Rome decides to throw the lunging chicken wing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

[QUOTE] I guess we just don't agree on what we're seeing regarding what Rome did.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

yeah for sure, I just asked BsLegion a question and I'm curious what your thoughts are as well. Look at the 3rd screenshot I linked and ask yourself if Rome is really leading with his elbow and targetting the head.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome With Another Dirty Play......... : and if you continue your frame by frame you'll notice that Smith-Pelley attempts to stand straight up in order to get his head/torso out of the way so Rome decides to throw the lunging chicken wing.

I just reviewed it several times, and now I'm not even sure his elbow ever touches his head. it even looks like the highest Rome's elbow gets is the shoulder on the follow-through.

I dunno man, we'll see.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome With Another Dirty Play......... : watch it in slow motion, he definitely turns into it and drops his head 1.  2.  3. sorry. blatantly turned into him.
    How did Rome not hit the other side of S-P's body? He's coming from S-P's right side yet he makes contact up high on the other side. He could've made that check by coming from up the boards more. Much safer and likely no 5 minute major. Rome was trying to take his head off as far as I'm concerned.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome With Another Dirty Play......... : I mean, look at the third photo that I just linked, can you honestly say Rome is leading leading with his elbow and targetting the head?. That is right before the contact.

Okay so why doesn't Rome go in with just his shoulder ? Like Malone did .
    Instead Rome decides to higher his fore-arm and contacts the head. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome With Another Dirty Play......... : I just reviewed it several times, and now I'm not even sure his elbow ever touches his head. it even looks like the highest Rome's elbow gets is the shoulder on the follow-through. I dunno man, we'll see.

That is the key . From what I see he does hit the head (above his neck) but like I said earlier I don't have all the angles the NHL has.
    I'm sure they'll get it right and explain of there is a suspension or not.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome With Another Dirty Play......... : That is the key . From what I see he does hit the head (above his neck) but like I said earlier I don't have all the angles the NHL has. I'm sure they'll get it right and explain of there is a suspension or not.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

yeah should be interesting

I mean, i hate defending this guy after the Horton hit, which was disgraceful.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome With Another Dirty Play......... : yeah should be interesting
    Ols, I'm not even disputing the fact that there may be no supension. You may have it exactly right. I just don't agree but that's the very nature of Shanahan's task. I see this as a tough one for him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome With Another Dirty Play......... : No, it was 5 and a game. Ducks scored twice on the PP.

I'm not saying it wasn't.  I'm saying it should have been two minutes.  Really nothing happened.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

was it Smith or Pelley who got hit?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]was it Smith or Pelley who got hit?
    Posted by 49thparallel[/QUOTE]

Both . Smith-Pelly

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome With Another Dirty Play......... : Both . Smith-Pelly
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]
    He should've just hit Smith. Instead, he took a run at Pelley.........

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome With Another Dirty Play......... : He should've just hit Smith. Instead, he took a run at Pelley.........

I think his intentions were to turn Smith-Pelly into Smith and Pelly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rome With Another Dirty Play......... : I think his intentions were to turn Smith-Pelly into Smith and Pelly.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]
    Yep!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

"Clean hits don't get you sent off."

When the player being hit is hurt, you can see players go to the box even if the hit was clean. For example, see the Konopka hit on Anisimov that got him 5 minutes and the gate (on Halloween weekend, I think).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]"Clean hits don't get you sent off." When the player being hit is hurt, you can see players go to the box even if the hit was clean. For example, see the Konopka hit on Anisimov that got him 5 minutes and the gate (on Halloween weekend, I think).
    Posted by Dave24[/QUOTE]

Bergeron's high stick penalty was also a mistake, as his stick never touched the head of the opponent a game or two ago.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Crummy angles.  It looked to me like the arm came up as part of the post-contact shove.
    Some other videos make it look more like a pec to the face.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I thought the Rome hit was unnecessary roughness, but I don't even know that I would call it a penalty.  It hurt because he was against boardless glass. Rome doesn't have a lot of respect for his opponents, but I don't think that one was too bad.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

It might have been interference, because the puck apparently goes by Smith-Pelly.  But it wasn't an elbow, and it wasn't a targeted head shot.  It was a body on body hit, and Rome's shoulder made contact with Smith-Pelly's head, mainly because S-P was looking down for the puck.

Shanny apparently agrees, because there will be no further supplemental discipline.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

"It's believed that Shanahan looked at the video of the hit but felt the penalties assessed were sufficient punishment. Shanahan also didn't feel that Rome targeted Smith-Pelly's head, which is a core criterion of Rule 48, regarding head hits. Shanahan's conclusion was also mitigated because Rome was attempting a full-body check and Smith-Pelly moved his head down just before the hit."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]"It's believed that Shanahan looked at the video of the hit but felt the penalties assessed were sufficient punishment. Shanahan also didn't feel that Rome targeted Smith-Pelly's head, which is a core criterion of Rule 48, regarding head hits. Shanahan's conclusion was also mitigated because Rome was attempting a full-body check and Smith-Pelly moved his head down just before the hit." Video of the hit shows Rome's shoulder, not his elbow, made contact with Smith-Pelly's head. Read more:  http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Rome+evades+punishment/5703553/story.html#ixzz1daRfj8lL Read more:   http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Rome+evades+punishment/5703553/story.html#ixzz1daRT4Z00
    Thanks Ols. Looks like you knew what Shanny would say before he said it. This isn't the 1st decision that I don't agree with and it's unlikely to be the last but I guess that shows how difficult Shanny's job is. Nice work though. Cheers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]"It's believed that Shanahan looked at the video of the hit but felt the penalties assessed were sufficient punishment. Shanahan also didn't feel that Rome targeted Smith-Pelly's head, which is a core criterion of Rule 48, regarding head hits. Shanahan's conclusion was also mitigated because Rome was attempting a full-body check and Smith-Pelly moved his head down just before the hit." Video of the hit shows Rome's shoulder, not his elbow, made contact with Smith-Pelly's head. Read more:  http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Rome+evades+punishment/5703553/story.html#ixzz1daRfj8lL Read more:   http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Rome+evades+punishment/5703553/story.html#ixzz1daRT4Z00

Wow that's what you said. I just saw it differently but maybe my eyesight is not as good as it used to be. Shanny has better eyes and more video review.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

/Bow

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

Rome isn't anything special in his own end.

Sections
Shortcuts