Roy to coach Avs??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Roy to coach Avs??

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=423691

Obviously goalies are the smartest people in the locker room, if not society.

Is he the best coach available for that team or just a name? Sakic is now in the front office and obviously they go back. He does at least have coaching experience.

If he gets hired, I wish him well. One of the best.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Roy to coach Avs??

Yeah, I am not sure about this.

Looks like a flailing organization grasping at straws.

Of course, he may end up being a tactical genius...only time will tell on this one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Obviously goalies are the smartest people in the locker room, if not society."

I see a SoxFan comeback LoL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Of course, he may end up being a tactical genius...only time will tell on this one.

He's a very smart man.  He certainly knows hockey inside and out.  That doesn't mean he can coach.  He did, however, run the Remparts to the QMJHL title.  At least that's something.  He and Sakic obviously get along very well.  I'm going to guess that the two of them will return that franchise to glory very, very quickly.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to jmwalters' comment:

He's a very smart man.  He certainly knows hockey inside and out.  That doesn't mean he can coach.  He did, however, run the Remparts to the QMJHL title.  At least that's something.  He and Sakic obviously get along very well.  I'm going to guess that the two of them will return that franchise to glory very, very quickly.

They have the number one pick, plus Duchene,Landeskog,Johnson and O'Reilly are a pretty good core to start with. 

Never a big fan of Stastny

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Who really knows about Roy as an NHL coach?  I could see it going either way.

That said, I don't like the move personally.  This organization has done every thing possible to link back to the glory of their past, as though there is no possible way to create a new winning tradition.  They retire another number every season (Adam Foote last year?), have continuous championship team reunions, Deadmarsh is an assistant coach, Sakic is the president, and now they bring in Roy to coach.  I agree with jmwalters that it just seems like grasping at straws.  The team can't (won't) make a big splash with a free agent, so they decide to make a splash with a coach who has the best name recognition around.

I don't know enough to say who would be a better choice, but perhaps someone with NHL experience (Tippett, Boucher?), or lots of AHL experience (Cunneyworth?).  It just seems like Roy is picked because of his playing history, not his coaching history.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

That said, I don't like the move personally.  This organization has done every thing possible to link back to the glory of their past, as though there is no possible way to create a new winning tradition.  They retire another number every season (Adam Foote last year?), have continuous championship team reunions, Deadmarsh is an assistant coach, Sakic is the president, and now they bring in Roy to coach.  I agree with jmwalters that it just seems like grasping at straws.  The team can't (won't) make a big splash with a free agent, so they decide to make a splash with a coach who has the best name recognition around.

I don't know enough to say who would be a better choice, but perhaps someone with NHL experience (Tippett, Boucher?), or lots of AHL experience (Cunneyworth?).  It just seems like Roy is picked because of his playing history, not his coaching history.

And according to this from the Denver Post the choice of Roy would have Sakic's reputation riding on it.
    http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013/05/21/patrick-roy-the-avalanche-choice-joe-sakic-putting-rep-on-the-line/13631/

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Any guess on how many bench minors the avs have next year?  Or how many times Roy's hot headedness gets in the way and he gets ejected?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I don't know enough to say who would be a better choice, but perhaps someone with NHL experience (Tippett, Boucher?), or lots of AHL experience (Cunneyworth?).  It just seems like Roy is picked because of his playing history, not his coaching history.

You say Deadmarsh and I think of Jovanovski. They had some great battles. Deadmarsh is one of my all-time favorites.

Wouldnt shock me if Roy had Guy Carbonneau and Claude Lemieux on his staff. Mike Keane too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

You say Deadmarsh and I think of Jovanovski. They had some great battles. Deadmarsh is one of my all-time favorites.

Wouldnt shock me if Roy had Guy Carbonneau and Claude Lemieux on his staff. Mike Keane too.

Same here.  Used to love Deadmarsh and was crushed when Jovo gave him the lights out.

I know that Foote and Turgeon are still in town.  Wouldn't be surprised to see the hired on.

Of course, the Avs have yet to confirm that Roy has even been hired.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Check that, it's now official.  Roy is in.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Should make for a few crazy nights in Denver with that nutjob behind the bench. He's got his own son assaulting people in junior so I can just imagine how he'll be in the bigs. I look forward to seeing some meltdowns. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Yeah, don't diss goalies folks.

But FWIW Roy is a skilled guy. Too bad those skills don't involve people. Avs should run a million miles in the other direction.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Should make for a few crazy nights in Denver with that nutjob behind the bench. He's got his own son assaulting people in junior so I can just imagine how he'll be in the bigs. I look forward to seeing some meltdowns. 

That's kinda of my feeling on this.  I know that different coaching styles can all work, but I am a big fan of the steady and stoic type.  Like Scotty Bowman, Joel Quenneville, and even Claude to an extent.  The types that aren't emotional, vindictive, or reactionary.  I think that players, especially young ones, need a steady presence there and a consistent level of expectations and approach.  I see Roy being too raw and emotional for this job.  I think there were better choices.

The Avs are certainly banking on a correlation between playing skills and management skills, as they have given the keys of the organization to Sakic and Roy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

That's kinda of my feeling on this.  I know that different coaching styles can all work, but I am a big fan of the steady and stoic type.  Like Scotty Bowman, Joel Quenneville, and even Claude to an extent.  The types that aren't emotional, vindictive, or reactionary.  I think that players, especially young ones, need a steady presence there and a consistent level of expectations and approach.  I see Roy being too raw and emotional for this job.  I think there were better choices.

The Avs are certainly banking on a correlation between playing skills and management skills, as they have given the keys of the organization to Sakic and Roy.

It's pretty well known he's got some issues with his temper. He freaks out like a high school kid on steroids. Didn't his wife fall through a door in a dispute over the inlaws?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

You're right, dez.  He's known to be a volcano - which brings me to this.  Do you think the nuclear coaching types like Pat Burns, Mike Keenan, Pat Quinn, Tom Webster, Marc Crawford, Jim Schoenfeld, Michel Bergeron and John Tortorella are largely being replaced by the more controlled, self-contained Bylsmas, Tippets, Oates, Juliens and Babcocks?  I mean in terms of motivating today's athletes?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

You're right, dez.  He's known to be a volcano - which brings me to this.  Do you think the nuclear coaching types like Pat Burns, Mike Keenan, Pat Quinn, Tom Webster, Marc Crawford, Jim Schoenfeld, Michel Bergeron and John Tortorella are largely being replaced by the more controlled, self-contained Bylsmas, Tippets, Oates, Juliens and Babcocks?  I mean in terms of motivating today's athletes?

Yes.  I think those rah-rah guys can catch lightning in a bottle and get teams to overachive in the short term, sometimes greatly (Herb Brooks).  But with today's NHL players, I think the latter guys you mentioned are more effective and sustainable in the big picture.  If you look at the fiery types, you see a lot of complete burnouts along with occasional big run of success.  Recently, the controlled guys have been winning a lot of Cups.  And doing it without a huge flameout a year or two later.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I don't think theres enough of a body of work here to call him a volcano or say he has a temper problem. Argument with the wife and ordering a player to go fight over the span of 20 plus years doesnt fit the bill for me.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't think theres enough of a body of work here to call him a volcano or say he has a temper problem. Argument with the wife and ordering a player to go fight over the span of 20 plus years doesnt fit the bill for me.

Well, he was always a hothead when he played.  Lots of examples.  And I think "argument" is a very diplomatic description of the incident with his wife...

But, you're right, who knows.  He might be more reasoned as a coach than in his hottest moments as a player (and husband).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

How about quitting the only team that he knew in the middle of a game over a perceived slight? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

How about quitting the only team that he knew in the middle of a game over a perceived slight? 

You know theres more to that incident.

I'm not saying he wasnt emotional, I just dont think he's nucleaur or going to blow a top like people are saying.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

You know theres more to that incident.

I'm not saying he wasnt emotional, I just dont think he's nucleaur or going to blow a top like people are saying.

We shall see. Go Bruins. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Good thing the bruins are keeping you busy Dez, I would have lost this argument.

Can't help myself, all-time favorite player.

Don't tell anyone.

Jagr wins it in OT...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Yes.  I think those rah-rah guys can catch lightning in a bottle and get teams to overachive in the short term, sometimes greatly (Herb Brooks).  But with today's NHL players, I think the latter guys you mentioned are more effective and sustainable in the big picture.  If you look at the fiery types, you see a lot of complete burnouts along with occasional big run of success.  Recently, the controlled guys have been winning a lot of Cups.  And doing it without a huge flameout a year or two later.

Like Ken Hitchcock?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Odd they gave him VP of operations as well. So does that mean he is over the GM ?

Kinda confusing or if he totally bombs as a coach he has a seat in the press box ?

Sections
Shortcuts