Ruff canned.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Ruff canned.....

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl--after-lindy-ruff-s-firing--it-s-time-for-the-buffalo-sabres-to-take-inventory-013152271.html

"It's not just Regier. It's that Regier is essentially alone at the top. Even though the Sabres have added a number of scouts since Pegula bought the team and lifted the financial restraints going from a staff of about 11 to two dozen who is his trusted lieutenant?

It's also that the Sabres lack a strong organizational identity. Who are they? What kind of hockey do they play? How do they beat you? Are they a skilled team? A skilled team trying to add toughness? What?

Pegula knows what he needs to do. He said it at his introductory news conference. He said he wanted the Sabres to be the best in the league at finding, developing and keeping talent"

The Sabres have $15M to get sign 5 players by next fall, it should not be in thehands of a  GMs that has been there since 1997.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Maple Leafs vs. Buffalo Sabres for world champion dysfunctional organizaton.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

"With a 571-432-162 record, Ruff was the winningest coach in franchise history; only Al Arbour, who won 740 games with the New York Islanders, has more NHL victories with one team."

Whether you like him or not he will be coaching again.

I think Ruff is a great example of the overrated nature of cumulative statistics over a long period of time.

He won a lot of games over 15 years. That's nice.  His teams still have won as many Stanley Cups as the New York Yankees.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

Good riddance. I didn't like him one bit. That timeout at the end of the game still irks me.

Exactly. I never cared for the guy, but his firing weeks after he pulled that no-class stunt makes me warm n' fuzzy today.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

In response to DaveyN's comment:

Agreed, hate his attitude during press conferences and post game interviews.  One of the coaches i really disliked in the NHL.

Me too. His teams seem to play the victim card way too much (diving and yapping at the refs), something I believe they learned from Lindy. I always prayed for Neely to come down from upstairs and beat him again just for old time's sake.

My feelings exactly.  Good riddance to Ruff and the culture of victimhood that he brought to the Sabres.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

Good riddance. I didn't like him one bit. That timeout at the end of the game still irks me.

Exactly. I never cared for the guy, but his firing weeks after he pulled that no-class stunt makes me warm n' fuzzy today.

You guys know that this is how it went down, right:

Bruins have last line change as home team.

Ruff puts skilled players out.

Bruins put out MacDermid.

Ruff worries that MacDermid is going to crank one of his EuroFruits.

Ruff calls time out in order to get Scott on the ice to avoid any final seconds stupidity.

Puck drops, game ends without incidnet.

--

What's wrong with that?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Exactly. I never cared for the guy, but his firing weeks after he pulled that no-class stunt makes me warm n' fuzzy today."

So basically you are letting the fact that you didn't like Lindy get in the way that only the great Al Arbour had more wins with one team get in way. One thing that those stats don't tell is all the Buffalo owners Ruff had endured didn't spend allot of money on players until Pegula came into the picture . Then Rehger spends some money on the wrong players then Ruff feels the brunt of it.

"EuroFruits" LoL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Lindy Ruff, 15 years, 8 playoff appearances, 1 Stanley Cup Final (loss). I don't know, firing Ruff seems ok to me. Regier on the other hand should go as well. Overpaid for Leino and Ehrhoff and is really to blame for the line up Ruff had to go with. Oh well, Arbour won 4 Cups, Lindy 0, thats where it really counts. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Ruff calls time out in order to get Scott on the ice to avoid any final seconds stupidity.

--

What's wrong with that?

Simple. Tell your team to be disciplined and not drop the gloves. It's not like one guy is going to haul off and assault someone on the ice. That is a ludicrous, bush-league, load of bull. Not to mention instigating a fight within the last 5 mins of a game is a fine for the coach is it not? Has CJ ever done that against a team? Is Boston known for starting fights at the end of the game? Why did Ruff send out skill guys with 13 something seconds left in the game? Is Boston somehow magically going to put in 3 goals in that time span? Stop making excuses. It may have been within his rights, but it was unnecessary.

EDIT: I also lauged at the EuroFruits comment. Nice, I like it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

--

What's wrong with that?

I don't think it was that big of a deal either.  But, I think it symbolizes how Ruff doesn't really have his eye on the ball, and might be more worried about toughness than other things.  It was odd, if nothing else.  There is pretty much always a chance that you're wimpy players could get jumped, but it practically never happens and I can't imagine Julien asking McDermid to attack Thomas Vanek.  So, what was he so worried about?  It seemed kind of paranoid to me.  Put a tougher guy out there to start with if your concerned, or just have your EuroFruits skate away.

I've rarely seen a coach so worried about such things that he would call a timeout there.  I think he's a little rattled still.  They got 'tougher' in the offseason and then left a giant hole at the center position.  He had bigger things to worry about than Vanek having to politely decline a fight as the buzzer sounded.

Sections
Shortcuts