RUFF

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from brunod. Show brunod's posts

RUFF

The Bruins may look in a new direction after this season if things don't go well and Lindy Ruff could be a good canidate to replace CJ. Ruff would not be afraid to replace useless coach's like Ward and put some new blood into a team that is flat in too many games this season. Cj is loosing his team and is not very good at incorporating new players into a hard to play Bruins system.

I think he holds back very good Bruins propects and has out lived his time in Boston. The players just don't listen anymore and it is time for change. Cj has been good for his time here but he has not changed with the Bruins new players and his system has been easily figured out by other teams because he is so predicable.

The Bruins are a better team than CJ shows and their game is not being inspired or motivated the way it should be under his system. Players like Looch, Segin amd Horts would be better under a more offensive system and we can all see the results of these good players going to waste under this system. CJ had his time and at the time it was very good but I have to question why good players like Looch, Segin, Horts, Chara, Kelly, Pevs and others have lost their game and CJ can't put a good consistant line up together. Players just don't stop being good players and the Bruins just don't improve on the powerplay unless the coach refuses to change with the players he has, JC will not do that and will not put the players on the ice the Bruins need to score when the time comes.

He has no idea where to play a hall of famer in Jagr in his lineup and with some new blood and possibly more scoring with Soderberg coming in CJ will be more confused. This short season has seen players like Looch and others fall behind some because of no preseason and he has no answer and the the team is disorinted. There is no time to fix this and only the players if they have any heart left can fix it.

If the Bruins can't figure out they have to hit and play hard down low they will be done in the playoffs soon and maybe Management will see the time to bring in a coach like Ruff to this talent moving on is the best for us going forward.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Re: RUFF

oh? a thread about a coaching change? haven't seen one of those before. thank you. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Brunod, Thank you for your thoughts...well thought out and on-target...I was not a big fan of Claude for a long time, but grew to respect what he did for the team. Lately, I come come to a similar conclusion.

However, to so many others on THIS board. I am tired of the cheap sniping. I have little time to respond b/c of work obligations, but I do review the board almost daily and I have grown weary of the innane comments on virtually every blog title. I left that childish behavior behind in middle school. Some of you are an absolute embarrassment. Oh, put a news flash sign on that. Petty, petty, petty...It is not cleaver.

How about making comments that apply to the blog title. If you don't like it or feel it is redundant, then just don't respond...disappointed.

Thx again Brunod.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

To quote Lee van Cleef - "Tom O'Brien...I thought you were dead."

There's been a really juvenile gripefest going on lately.  It's been sad, and funny in its hysteria sometimes, but mostly sad and a bit depressing when you see like attract like.  NAS had a good response at one point: I like hockey.  Even if the Bruins don't win, or don't win the Cup, I like watching hockey, so I will have taken a lot of pleasure out of watching the games even if the Bruins don't go all the way.  Those who want the Bruins to win the Cup every day in March and April aren't going to have anything from their time watching the team.  So...why watch?

Bruno, if Julien goes, all the coaches will likely go.  The only possible exception is if they appoint one of the assistants interim coach...so you could end up with Ward as the head coach for a while.  Ugh.  As for motivation, I think that's the boogeyman of the day around here.  I look at a team that has basically have a playoff spot wrapped up since February in a short season and in the middle of a ridiculously packed schedule and wonder if there's just no way to force the emotional temperature up when there's so little at stake.  As for Julien's system, the Bruins have a number of players who could put up better numbers in another place or under another coach in Boston - but that's not that big a deal to me.  Would the team win more often if Seguin could play offense and only offense?  Who knows?  I don't think this team has the kind of elite talent to play run and gun hockey, though - at least on the back end.

Soderberg is setting up to be a huge disappointment if people are expecting him to be a first liner.  If he is, that's great, but before we start ripping the coach over his role, let's at least see him against NHL competition.  The NHL scouting eval that DrCC posted made him sound like a guy who could be pushed around, and that is exactly what people are complaining about when they complain the loudest - a lack of physical courage and push-back.

bogie said one of the things I think about Jagr - does the hall of famer need to adjust to fully "fit" with the Bruins?  He'll do what he does in a way very similar to the way Ryder would do what Ryder does.  Carry the puck into traffic, break down lanes, make one on one moves, own the puck along the boards - in a system of quick touches and net drive and cycling, and getting the puck to the net from the point to elongate the D coverage near the net.  That really doesn't depend on him being anywhere but on the ice enough to keep teams guessing.  And chemistry takes time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JanneyJoyce. Show JanneyJoyce's posts

Not sure why I am bothering. My posts never show. I hate this coach. Thats my gripe. I said it 15 seconds after they won the cup. Fire the coach. I have not swayed. His system is boring.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to JanneyJoyce's comment:

Not sure why I am bothering. My posts never show. I hate this coach. Thats my gripe. I said it 15 seconds after they won the cup. Fire the coach. I have not swayed. His system is boring.

You're entitled to feel that way but I prefer winning hockey over style points.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrrGOAT2. Show No4BobbyOrrGOAT2's posts

Ruff is a loser.

Cj only embarrasses himself when he tries to fly by the seat of his pants.  This line flipflopping is just mindboggling. His defensive system is the best in the league, makes him a good coach, he will never be a great coach.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Every time I hear the name Ruff, I think of this clip.

http://www.hark.com/clips/tqfzbhfgrk-just-the-way-your-mother-likes-it-trebek

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

..or this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU6OPLfrt88

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I'm not a huge fan of Lindy Ruff's as a coach. His teams always seemed to have a porous back line. He complains to the media constantly and always seemed content to let his teams wallow in mediocrity. I'd pass on him. I think Claude Julien is a better coach than him, if nothing else his teams always have the defensive structure that allows them to compete. I know "the system" can be boring, but by and large it is effective.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitch19. Show nitch19's posts

In response to 86redsox's comment:

..or this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU6OPLfrt88

Remember it like it was yesterday.  Poor Linda......"don't fool with Cam Neely."  Remember that line?  And if you do Linda, for heaven's sake, know that Cam is a lefty......man, he just ate those lefts.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Laviolette is the only coach I would want if Boston were to part ways with Julien. Paul Maurice is another I wouldn't mind behind the Bruins bench as well. There are other coaches I would love to have but they won't be coming available anytime soon.

Chiarelli has a ton of patience, I can't sit here and say that Julien would be fired if the Bruins were to go one n done in this years playoffs. Claude could just survive another collapse or poor showing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Ruff has a tendency to go with firewagon hockey when he can. I just don't think the Bruins have the right players for that style. You need serious speed on the backend to be able to drop back out of the play and get back and set up in your own end for the guaranteed counter attack, and that's something he Bruins lack.

I can't see Ruff being a good coach for the current Bruins.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Laviolette is the only coach I would want if Boston were to part ways with Julien. Paul Maurice is another I wouldn't mind behind the Bruins bench as well. There are other coaches I would love to have but they won't be coming available anytime soon.

Chiarelli has a ton of patience, I can't sit here and say that Julien would be fired if the Bruins were to go one n done in this years playoffs. Claude could just survive another collapse or poor showing.

Laviolette would be my choice as well, assuming that he becomes available. I can't see CJ surviving another first, or maybe second, round exit.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to mxt's comment:

Laviolette would be my choice as well, assuming that he becomes available. I can't see CJ surviving another first, or maybe second, round exit.  

I think Bylsma's in a lot greater danger of being fired than CJ in the event of an early round exit.  With the strength of that team in the last three years he's gone out in the second and then out back to back in the first - a third straight first round exit or even another second rund bow out, I doubt he's there next year.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

All crazy talk---All Claude has done is win with Boston.  

All you can ask a coach to do in the NHL is to put the team in a position to win the Cup (in the Top 4 of your Conference) each year and hope for the best and Claude has done this.  There are too many variables outide of the control of the coach such as hot goaltending, injuries, and bounces during the playoffs that win you the Cup.   While everyone wants a dynasty, just to win 1 Cup is impressive in this NHL given the variables and salary structure.  

While the B's don't play a wide open style like the Penguins or Oilers (for that matter), they do play a great style for winning playoff games...and they get a lot of practice with this system (much to the chagrin of fans)  during the regular season.   They are still one of the best 5-on-5 and 4-on-5 teams in the NHL and overall have a great team defensive structure.  

Personally, I don't want another coaching carousel with the Dave Lewis's of the world.  Be careful what you wish for---

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to red75's comment:

I think Bylsma's in a lot greater danger of being fired than CJ in the event of an early round exit.  With the strength of that team in the last three years he's gone out in the second and then out back to back in the first - a third straight first round exit or even another second rund bow out, I doubt he's there next year.

Interesting take Red, Bylsma is one of those other coaches I would want if available or at the top of my list if Chiarelli made available. I don't read enough about Shero except on here when he apparently robs Chiarelli but that logic that Bylsma could being on the hot seat after another early is logical.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Shero canned Therrien 7 months after he took the Pens to game 7 of the Cup final. He can be pretty quick to fire a coach if he's not getting the short term results he expects.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to lucdufour's comment:

All crazy talk---All Claude has done is win with Boston.  

All you can ask a coach to do in the NHL is to put the team in a position to win the Cup (in the Top 4 of your Conference) each year and hope for the best and Claude has done this.  There are too many variables outide of the control of the coach such as hot goaltending, injuries, and bounces during the playoffs that win you the Cup.   While everyone wants a dynasty, just to win 1 Cup is impressive in this NHL given the variables and salary structure.  

While the B's don't play a wide open style like the Penguins or Oilers (for that matter), they do play a great style for winning playoff games...and they get a lot of practice with this system (much to the chagrin of fans)  during the regular season.   They are still one of the best 5-on-5 and 4-on-5 teams in the NHL and overall have a great team defensive structure.  

Personally, I don't want another coaching carousel with the Dave Lewis's of the world.  Be careful what you wish for---

Thats it right there. The bottom line is winning and thats what the B's have done ever since CJ got here. He might not get many style points but his teams win. If i had one criticism its that he's loyal to a fault, which isn't a bad quality, but when coaching a team i think he should be quicker to make shakeups with players underperforming and of course the many times mentioned 4th line being on the ice with a minute and a half left and the B's down a goal. Really good coaches don't readily become available and CJ's replacement might be worse.No to Ruff!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Shero canned Therrien 7 months after he took the Pens to game 7 of the Cup final. He can be pretty quick to fire a coach if he's not getting the short term results he expects.

Shero didn't hire Therrien but did sign him to a one-year extension then replaced him with another AHL coach. Yah there is no hesitation in that trigger finger. I think Pittsburgh would pounce on Laviolette if Holmgren let him go and Bylsma were let go. Anything to get under Phillys skin and Laviolette would be a good match for that team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Hi Book, As the great Mark Twin once said "Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated"

I am obviously not dead, but have been on the road...Puerta Vallarta, Las Vegas, Denver etc., plus teaching and writing...I always check in on my B's "bud's". I probably won't be a freqent contribtor for the next year or two b/c work on the next edition of my book is about to begin, but know that I am a die hard B's fan and have never forgotten my Boston roots.

With all that has gone on recently, the pettiness has become more than I can stand. Especially when this is the one place it seems we can all go to escape the craziness...a little civility...respect can go a long way.

Pleace everyone...stay safe.

Doc

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

To quote Lee van Cleef - "Tom O'Brien...I thought you were dead."

There's been a really juvenile gripefest going on lately.  It's been sad, and funny in its hysteria sometimes, but mostly sad and a bit depressing when you see like attract like.  NAS had a good response at one point: I like hockey.  Even if the Bruins don't win, or don't win the Cup, I like watching hockey, so I will have taken a lot of pleasure out of watching the games even if the Bruins don't go all the way.  Those who want the Bruins to win the Cup every day in March and April aren't going to have anything from their time watching the team.  So...why watch?

Bruno, if Julien goes, all the coaches will likely go.  The only possible exception is if they appoint one of the assistants interim coach...so you could end up with Ward as the head coach for a while.  Ugh.  As for motivation, I think that's the boogeyman of the day around here.  I look at a team that has basically have a playoff spot wrapped up since February in a short season and in the middle of a ridiculously packed schedule and wonder if there's just no way to force the emotional temperature up when there's so little at stake.  As for Julien's system, the Bruins have a number of players who could put up better numbers in another place or under another coach in Boston - but that's not that big a deal to me.  Would the team win more often if Seguin could play offense and only offense?  Who knows?  I don't think this team has the kind of elite talent to play run and gun hockey, though - at least on the back end.

Soderberg is setting up to be a huge disappointment if people are expecting him to be a first liner.  If he is, that's great, but before we start ripping the coach over his role, let's at least see him against NHL competition.  The NHL scouting eval that DrCC posted made him sound like a guy who could be pushed around, and that is exactly what people are complaining about when they complain the loudest - a lack of physical courage and push-back.

bogie said one of the things I think about Jagr - does the hall of famer need to adjust to fully "fit" with the Bruins?  He'll do what he does in a way very similar to the way Ryder would do what Ryder does.  Carry the puck into traffic, break down lanes, make one on one moves, own the puck along the boards - in a system of quick touches and net drive and cycling, and getting the puck to the net from the point to elongate the D coverage near the net.  That really doesn't depend on him being anywhere but on the ice enough to keep teams guessing.  And chemistry takes time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishfinger. Show fishfinger's posts

I am on the fence about CJ i think he is a good coach who has a system that wins games but coaches generally have a shelf life.

If they do make a change not a big fan of Lindy Ruff would love to have Laviolette if he is avalable.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I like Laviolette's teams, but I can't get past the fact that he won the Cup in Carolina and then crashed, then took Philly to the finals before crashing again.  He's the anti-Julien, though - I watch his teams and they seem to play each opponent differently, sometimes very effectively and sometimes not.  Does a guy like that just have a shorter than average shelf life?