Rule Changes -- One Step Closer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Rule Changes -- One Step Closer

Really honing in on the embellishment problem. Unfortunately -- only talking about warnings and fines at this point and "Not about taking players out of the game". Looks like Habs brass must have had some serious input -- otherwise they would be calling up a lot of minor league substitute divers to replace a good number of suspended players. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Rule Changes -- One Step Closer

Source?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Just read this:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=454604

So, yeah, I hope they seriously look at it...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from socca10. Show socca10's posts

As with soccer, the only way hockey reduces the amount of embellishing/diving is to give out suspensions after the fact. If the referee gets snookered by the dive (and it's far harder to see live, in real time, at the pace of an NHL game, without the benefit of replay) so be it. But there should be post-game repercussions for that player.

You don't want to slow down the game to NFL levels, so I'm not sure how much a review helps during real time - unless the review happens as the game continues, and then a penalty is assessed to the diving player/team. Now that would be interesting...allow a video review between periods maybe, and assess the penalty at the start of the next period, overtime, or assess a suspension for the player if the dive happens in the 3rd?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

You want a good rule change?   KEEP WHITTLING AWAY AT THE GOALIE GEAR!  

The thigh risers and the "I'm going to be a Sumo wrestler for Halloween" upper body is still out of control.

And take away the curves on their sticks.  They are supposed to stop the puck, not have accurate wrist shots.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The thigh risers and the "I'm going to be a Sumo wrestler for Halloween" upper body is still out of control.

And take away the curves on their sticks.  They are supposed to stop the puck, not have accurate wrist shots.

[/QUOTE]

funny how this is so obvious yet so totally ignored on a practical level by the league

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

What equipment problem?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Hockey's getting into the same problems they have in golf - the technology is changing the game.  I'm sure lawyers have told the league it's a dicey proposition to reduce the protection for a player whose job is to be smashed by 100mph slappers from between the circles - a la Brassard's new favorite move.  Essentially, the problem is you can't mandate equipment limits on one side of the game; you have to maintain the balance, young Jedi.

Go to the PA and say "smaller goalie equipment!" and when they squawk, pull your proposal for reducing the technological advantage of composite sticks so that every turkey on the ice can hammer it if you give him a chance.  Baseball did it by mandating wooden bats, and they were getting awfully close to limiting which wood - I don't know if they ever ruled on SamBats.  (I walk by Sam all the time.)

Are you not entertained?!?!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What equipment problem?

[/QUOTE]

They look like astronauts.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

They look like astronauts.....

[/QUOTE]

I think you are thinking of this guy:

[object HTMLDivElement]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Ha! Neil Armstrong's son perhaps?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from btrentor. Show btrentor's posts

In response to socca10's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As with soccer, the only way hockey reduces the amount of embellishing/diving is to give out suspensions after the fact. If the referee gets snookered by the dive (and it's far harder to see live, in real time, at the pace of an NHL game, without the benefit of replay) so be it. But there should be post-game repercussions for that player.

You don't want to slow down the game to NFL levels, so I'm not sure how much a review helps during real time - unless the review happens as the game continues, and then a penalty is assessed to the diving player/team. Now that would be interesting...allow a video review between periods maybe, and assess the penalty at the start of the next period, overtime, or assess a suspension for the player if the dive happens in the 3rd?

[/QUOTE]

How about getting back to the old way - having the players/coaches themselves give it to the guys who dive and look down upon them as weasels and fakers who discredit their team and the sport? This seemed to work well for the last 100 years and is the best approach to keep hockey from turning into European soccer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Excellent idea NAS...have a max curve for skaters and zero(1/4"?) max curve for goalies...make it so.

And I also think it should be mandatory that the goalie pads be of a color that contrasts with the ice...no more white/off-white. Not a fashion show so they don't need to match the predominately white jerseys.

While white is a great contrast for the puck, anything lighter than black should still make the puck visible.

I believe that the darker pads would help shooters define "where they ain't" easier during fast, reactionary play.

(I am not sure I explained that reasoning well enough...)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Speaking of rule changes, I hear they are increasing the size of the trapezoid as well.

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Speaking of rule changes, I hear they are increasing the size of the trapezoid as well.

[/QUOTE]

Ha! Yeah....I think I am missing why that is supposed to be so important....I mean why is the NHL focusing on that?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dezaruchi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ha! Yeah....I think I am missing why that is supposed to be so important....I mean why is the NHL focusing on that?

[/QUOTE]

You got me JMW. It seems very trivial indeed. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

The embellishment fine is nebulus at best.  If a embellishment leds to a PP where the goal wins the game, I think players will continue to be diving divas.  Now if the fine is in the 10s of thousands I think players will think twice before grabbing the wrong leg after being hit on another leg.  

I like this rule change proposal.  The goalie should be able to help the defensemen and participate in the play.  I still say Lucic should hit Miller though.  

The trapezoid, which is now 18 feet along the goal line, would be increased to 22 feet along the goal line if the recommendation from the Competition Committee passes.

Schneider said the dimensions of the trapezoid along the end boards (28 feet) would remain the same, but adding two feet to each side of the net will give the goaltenders more room to play the puck.

"It will allow the goalies a little more room to go out and give their defensemen some help," Schneider said.

"Don't judge me monkey" 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

So, essentially reverse what the trapezoid was set up for to begin with?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

If Andy MacDonald can block 242 shots and not miss a game, pretty sure they can keep shrinking the goalie gear.

They should also get rid of the puck over glass delay of game.

Trapezoid is dumb, get rid of it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"As with soccer, the only way hockey reduces the amount of embellishing"

Croatia would like those rules enforced about 10 minutes ago.

Jobbed by the ref!

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I would have it so players have to serve the whole 2 minutes of the minor penalty, no more penalty is over if the team scores.

Also, like I always say, get rid of the weaponry like shoulder and elbow pads. Concussions will go down significantly.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

http://nesn.com/2014/06/nhl-competition-committee-embellishing-is-out-of-control/" rel="nofollow">http://nesn.com/2014/06/nhl-competition-committee-embellishing-is-out-of-control/

Regarding embellishing...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Andy MacDonald can block 242 shots and not miss a game, pretty sure they can keep shrinking the goalie gear.

[/QUOTE]

Get rid of "puck over glass" delay of game and you get 10-20 whistles a game because every time a team is hemmed in the puck will end up over the glass.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would have it so players have to serve the whole 2 minutes of the minor penalty, no more penalty is over if the team scores.

Also, like I always say, get rid of the weaponry like shoulder and elbow pads. Concussions will go down significantly.

[/QUOTE]

I'd hate to see full two minutes penalties.  It would mean less five on five hockey.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Crowls2424's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Get rid of "puck over glass" delay of game and you get 10-20 whistles a game because every time a team is hemmed in the puck will end up over the glass.

[/QUOTE]

Like every other call, referee discretion.

Sections
Shortcuts