Running back to Saskatoon?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Running back to Saskatoon?

Well this is certainly a surprise - folks in Saskatoon trying to take a run at an NHL franchise.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=389234

This is one that certainly was not on my radar, and as passionate as fans are in Saskatoon for hockey, I have my doubts that the population base (250,000 in Saskatoon, 1.03 million  for the province) could pull it off. There's tonnes of money in the province, but with a rink seating 15,800 they'd need sellouts, and that could be tough to get when folks from outside town would have to travel through -30 in mid-winter to get to the rink.

Interesting idea though.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Re: Running back to Saskatoon?

I don't think Saskatoon is on Bettman's list of preferred locations, or ever will be.  If you look at his history, Canada is a last resort. Sort of like his "displaced franchises insurance policy -- if nobody else wants the team, we can always find a place north of the border".

If the Seattle, KC or LV alternatives are exhausted, then MAYBE he casts a rolled eyeball in disgusted defeat north towards Saskatoon. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I agree 49, this would have to be an option of last resort I think. I don't know if there are more passionate fans for hockey in the entire world than ins Saskatchewan, but I don't see Bettman doing it. The league blocked a move to Saskatoon by the Blues back in the 80's. Can't see it happening if there are other options on the table - but it does sound like they have the rink, the government support and the ownership, which is something a lot of potential cities don't have.

Imagine a division with Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatchewan and Winnipeg all in it - that would make for some exciting rivalries. Add in either Van or Minnesota.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The race to see who gets an arena built first Quebec, Seattle or Saskatoon. I say the Emerald City gets one first  as they have an arena (Key) where a team can play temporarily just in case a place isn't finished in time. WHL has built a nice fan base in the Pacific Northwest over the years as well plus throw in that Seattle won't burden taxpayers for a big cost % for the building of a new place.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Seattle is certainly the frontrunner I think - but Saskatoon actually has a better interim arena. Key sits 11,000 for hockey. Credit Union Centre sits 15,800.

Still, I'd have to think it'll be either Seattle (and on the outside maybe Milwaukee depending on what happens with the Bradley) that gets the next team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I think one thing owners will look at when the vote comes as well Red is travel expenses. Getting to and from Saskatoon ? I've heard it can be quite hectic that coming from someone I know who went to the 2010 WJC.

Raising hotel tax, parking fees etc. right now for a city to raise funds will not go over well. Should be interesting to see who gets Phoenix or Florida for sure...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

The other unknown in this equation is the impact of a deep playoff run by the Coyotes.  If they can somehow make it to the Conference Finals (say), does that generate enough interest to create a sufficient fan base in Glendale/Phoenix?  The official attendance at the Canucks/Coyotes game the other night was 16,691 (thought it looked like 5,000 were wearing blue jerseys), so perhaps there is a glimmer of hope for the 'Yotes?  Given the state of the sports teams in the desert, a little success could go a long way.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

People make up stuff. I don't think Bettman has anything against Canada. The economy did. A bunch of teams moved from poor locations or poor ownership, and those included Winnipeg and Quebec. At that time the Canadian $ was at .60 US. That is hopeless. That is literally all of the revenue that goes to the team in the current CBA.  Now there is a cap, a strong Canadian economy and $, and hockey has seen huge surge in popularity in the country since Team Canada's first Olympic gold. Interest had been declining, but now it is like Football, Baseball and Basketball in the US combined. I think there is plenty of interest in moving teams to Canada now, because it makes sense. It didn't before.  But i still think Seattle is the best spot. That area needs a team. My sister and her family lives there, and hockey is really popular. It's a northern climate. Close to regional opponents. It's begging for a team. Quebec is an OK option and Hamilton could support one but there are already a bunch of teams close by. To me Saskatoon makes little sense now that Winnipeg has the Jets back.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

49, I don't think a deep playoff run will help, mainly because they'll likely have to make a decision before it gets that far into the playoffs. Last year they could wait until the last day of May to make an official decision because they had Winnipeg waiting in the wings with an existing hockey franchise infrastructure, with a building and experienced hockey ownership and staff, so they could pull it off in such a short span. Winnipeg's not there this year as an option, so I think more lead time will be required, forcing a decision probably by no later than the start of the second round.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Running back to Saskatoon?:
    People make up stuff. I don't think Bettman has anything against Canada. The economy did. A bunch of teams moved from poor locations or poor ownership, and those included Winnipeg and Quebec. At that time the Canadian $ was at .60 US. That is hopeless. That is literally all of the revenue that goes to the team in the current CBA.  Now there is a cap, a strong Canadian economy and $, and hockey has seen huge surge in popularity in the country since Team Canada's first Olympic gold. Interest had been declining, but now it is like Football, Baseball and Basketball in the US combined. I think there is plenty of interest in moving teams to Canada now, because it makes sense. It didn't before.  But i still think Seattle is the best spot. That area needs a team. My sister and her family lives there, and hockey is really popular. It's a northern climate. Close to regional opponents. It's begging for a team. Quebec is an OK option and Hamilton could support one but there are already a bunch of teams close by. To me Saskatoon makes little sense now that Winnipeg has the Jets back.
    Posted by OatesCam

Agreed on all points, but the resentment to Bettman, deserved or not, runs pretty deep in Canada. I do however think, given the market sized, Bettman would only go to Sask. if he had no other options.

There's about 10 true hockey markets that either aren't served or are underserved by the NHL - Oregon, Washington, Saskatchewan, Wisconsin, Quebec, Northern Ontario, Southern Ontario, the Maritimes, and New England. Of those how many have the population base, finances, ownership, lack of NHL obstacles (like those that would face a team in Southern Ontario or a return to Hartford) and infrastructure needed for a viable team? Not many. I think Seattle has to get the nod, regardless of the American vs. Canadian thing. Just the best option.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Brings back memories of Bill Hunter and Harold Ballard trashing the idea by saying he wouldn't want to take a dog sled to get there.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I hope the Seattle arena is confirmed, because I think a franchise there would be great (does Vancouver have territorial rights?).  The rivalry, already strong with the Caps & Sounders, would be at a fever pitch if a decent team landed in Seattle. 

@ OatesCam:  if it was all dollars and cents, then Phoenix would have been gone two years ago.  The proper decision (in hindsight) would have been to return the franchise to Winnipeg. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I hope the Seattle arena is confirmed, because I think a franchise there would be great (does Vancouver have territorial rights?).  The rivalry, already strong with the Caps & Sounders, would be at a fever pitch if a decent team landed in Seattle.  @ OatesCam:  if it was all dollars and cents, then Phoenix would have been gone two years ago.  The proper decision (in hindsight) would have been to return the franchise to Winnipeg. 
    Posted by 49-North

Article 4.1 of the league's constitution, according to an article from the National Post, says “each member shall have exclusive territorial rights in the city in which it is located and within 50 miles of that city’s corporate limits.” Seattle's 119 miles from Vancouver.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

It's all dollars, cents and contracts. The city of Glendale blocked the move or phoenix would have moved to the peg. There's a lot of legal issues going on with the coyotes. In response to "Re: Running back to Saskatoon?":
    I hope the Seattle arena is confirmed, because I think a franchise there would be great (does Vancouver have territorial rights?).  The rivalry, already strong with the Caps & Sounders, would be at a fever pitch if a decent team landed in Seattle.  @ OatesCam:  if it was all dollars and cents, then Phoenix would have been gone two years ago.  The proper decision (in hindsight) would have been to return the franchise to Winnipeg.  Posted by 49-North

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Brings back memories of Bill Hunter and Harold Ballard trashing the idea by saying he wouldn't want to take a dog sled to get there.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Is that when the St. Louis Blues were in finacial shambles back in the 80's & Saskatoon was on the charts?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

Gary Bettman may not want to go to Saskatoon but does anyone here realize that Winnipeg sold the most merchandise in the league, in the smallest market.Like it or not the league is being driven a great deal from the strenght of the Canadian teams.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

What I'm saying is that Gary has nothing against Saskatoon, but he (and the league) will go where it makes sense. Winnipeg makes sense. It is a booming city, much larger than Saskatoon, a new arena and they have an outstanding ownership group. Saskatoon may bring it all together, but it's pretty small, and the market already has teams in Alberta and Manitoba close by. Seattle is a huge Northern market with Vancouver as a natural rival. It's not about Gary not liking Saskatoon, it just isn't an NHL city. Halifax has close to 400k people, if you're going to pick a small Canadian city to put an NHL team. That one is a lot bigger, has a more populous region, and is 11 hours (driving) from the nearest games in Boston. But neither really makes sense.  Merchandise sales are always the biggest in a new city, btw, it was the same with Tampa Bay, San Jose, whoever.

Gary Bettman may not want to go to Saskatoon but does anyone here realize that Winnipeg sold the most merchandise in the league, in the smallest market.Like it or not the league is being driven a great deal from the strenght of the Canadian teams.
    Posted by john6345

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

I'm a little east of this discussion, but man, I miss the Montreal-Quebec rivalry. And although I'm a Yank, I wish the league would help boost a new Canadian team the way it's been propping up Phoenix.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

1 - I love that the rink is the Credit Union Centre.  Only in Saskatchewan would the Credit Union be the sponsor for the arena.

2 - Winnipeg sold the most merch because no one already had it.  I don't think you'll see that two years from now.

3 - Saskatoon's deadly small for a franchise.  You'd be taking a huge flier, and the owner would need to commit big dollars to cover potential losses or there is no way the NHL goes there.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Thanks for the clarification about the territorial boundary, red.

I think if teams could be installed in both Seattle and Portland, the competition for the annual Cascadia Cup could be fierce!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Living in Saskatoon, I'd love to see this but I'm a little skeptical as to if it's feasable.  Bob McKenzie, who first mentioned it, talked about plans in place to expand CUC.  I'm not sure where you are going to squeeze in more seats.  The original design was to seat 8000 and max at about 16.  We're there now.  Corporate boxes have squeezed the concourse down to next to nothing, making a packed house a nightmare to navigate.  In short, it's not anywhere near a NHL arena.  What should e happening is going after an AHL team.  However the owner of the Junior Blades seems to have pictures of somebody influential and is stonewalling any competition.  It's like sacrilege to talk of Minor Pro hockey displacing the Blades.  But, the city has outgrown Major Junior and wants something bigger. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

As a fairly new resident of the province of Saskatchewan I have to say that this is really just an exercise by the Teachers Credit Union in S'toon looking for something to invest their funds in. They lobbied the CFL for a team earlier this year, failed, and now are trying their luck with the NHL.

Lot's of smoke, but no fire......

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

When the Jets 1.0 left, they gave the team one full lame duck season after announcing the move, partly to buy time for Phoenix to get their ducks in a row (which they didn't do very well). Could the NHL do something similar? Sell the team to say Seattle for example, but leave them in Glendale for the 2012/2013 season to give Seattle time to get ready? They're already losing money hand over fist - would a lame duck season make that much of a difference?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Seattle would be perfect for many reasons Red but I just don't see it. No real owner with fistfulls of cash, no NHL rink, and no history (like Quebec city). I still think it will be a Nordiques redux...though Milwakee would be intriguing

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Seattle would be perfect for many reasons Red but I just don't see it. No real owner with fistfulls of cash, no NHL rink, and no history (like Quebec city). I still think it will be a Nordiques redux...though Milwakee would be intriguing
    Posted by jaywall

Seattle has Levin, who has fistfulls of cash (does a billion qualify as fistfulls?) If there's an owner in Seattle, then it has to be Levin. It won't work without him and his Wolves experience. If Milwaukee does it, then it would have to be the owner of the Ads.

Sections
Shortcuts