Running back to Saskatoon?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Running back to Saskatoon?

In Response to Re: Running back to Saskatoon?:
    [QUOTE]1 - I love that the rink is the Credit Union Centre.  Only in Saskatchewan would the Credit Union be the sponsor for the arena. 2 - Winnipeg sold the most merch because no one already had it.  I don't think you'll see that two years from now. 3 - Saskatoon's deadly small for a franchise.  You'd be taking a huge flier, and the owner would need to commit big dollars to cover potential losses or there is no way the NHL goes there.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

That just makes me smile.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Totally agree Scooter. I don't think Saskatoon has the corporate monies to keep an NHL team going. It will be even hard for Saskatoon to get a AHL team as Saskatoon would be in the middle of no where for teams to come to visit. Let's not forget that the Saskatoon arena is a Hunter arena, just like Edmonton's and Edmonton is replacing their rink, so you can think that Saskatoon would need replacing theirs as well. That would be a problem as they are having such a hard time getting a new stadium for the Roughriders. No domed stadium for now. Just a $20 mill upgrade for the 2013 Grey Cup. Does anyone remember Purina Dog food ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Is it Glendale holding up the transfer of ownership or is it the NHL?  Or both?  I think it is the NHL mostly, even though the losses are significant in Pheonix to affect the ultimate selling price of the Coyotes.  The NHL did commit to Glendale originally.  So, is Bettman trying to maintain that commitment or is reasonably assured that a transfer to Hamilton or Seattle may be rejected by the league? IRed, North, Oates what is the score?

I woud love to have a team back in Quebec btw.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

I'm actually not in favor of expansion. Too many players are going down with concussions as it is; having to endure watching AHL calibur players getting ice time at the NHL level is down-right painful. I just can't imagine fielding to more teams... 

I hope the game doesn't get watered down.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think right now the hold up is the NHL, which is trying to find a local owner.

[QUOTE]Is it Glendale holding up the transfer of ownership or is it the NHL?  Or both?  I think it is the NHL mostly, even though the losses are significant in Pheonix to affect the ultimate selling price of the Coyotes.  The NHL did commit to Glendale originally.  So, is Bettman trying to maintain that commitment or is reasonably assured that a transfer to Hamilton or Seattle may be rejected by the league? IRed, North, Oates what is the score? I woud love to have a team back in Quebec btw.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I definitely don't want expansion. Not because there isn't enough talent, but because I think it's already too hard to make the playoffs and win a cup. It's also hard to have a schedule that allows for rivalries but still allows you do play everyone in the league. The playoffs are the best part of the year, and half of the fans in the league don't get to enjoy it.

I think most of the talk on here is about relocation, not expansion.

[QUOTE]I'm actually not in favor of expansion. Too many players are going down with concussions as it is; having to endure watching AHL calibur players getting ice time at the NHL level is down-right painful. I just can't imagine fielding to more teams...  I hope the game doesn't get watered down.
    Posted by Olsonic[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Running back to Saskatoon? : Seattle has Levin, who has fistfulls of cash (does a billion qualify as fistfulls?) If there's an owner in Seattle, then it has to be Levin. It won't work without him and his Wolves experience. If Milwaukee does it, then it would have to be the owner of the Ads.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

I guess I am just not convinced that Levin is truly interested in a Thompson/Chipman way (that is to say being all in with a viable gameplan). As for Milwakee, do they even have a viable arena? I haven't heard much about this angle which is so intriguing to me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from puckhog9966. Show puckhog9966's posts

[QUOTE]The other unknown in this equation is the impact of a deep playoff run by the Coyotes.  If they can somehow make it to the Conference Finals (say), does that generate enough interest to create a sufficient fan base in Glendale/Phoenix?  The official attendance at the Canucks/Coyotes game the other night was 16,691 (thought it looked like 5,000 were wearing blue jerseys), so perhaps there is a glimmer of hope for the 'Yotes?  Given the state of the sports teams in the desert, a little success could go a long way.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

This I'm sure this was part of the reason that some of these cities were chosen for expansion in the 90's. Transplant fans. Maybe the Coyotes dont have 17,000 fans that will show up per a night, but when popular teams are on the road its likely that they can bring in fans who will coincide a vacation to that spot and catch a cheap game with thier favorite team being there. Pheonix, Tampa, Florida, and San Jose all come to mind for this plan. San Jose has proven that all you need is a winner and that will build its own fan base. Wonder though what will happen with that fan base once they have to rebuild and IMO that will be coming soon for them.

All these southern teams are like 5-6th on the sports depth chart for thier area. Where all the northern teams are 1st-2nd. Thats the issue at hand really. How many people in florida are likely to dish out a couple hundred to go see the Lightning play? How many will spend that same money to go watch a Nascar Race? I live in NH and get free Nascar tickets everytime they come up here. Makes it look like its full and I never go, as I dont see the appeal of watching cars take left hand turns all day, I've never gotten free Bruins tickets though.
    I'm sure Tampa is 100% the opposite, you can get free Lightning tickets as promo's down there.. good luck getting a Nascar ticket though.

So lets take Tampa for instance as a example further. NBA, college basket ball, NFL, college football, MLB, Nascar are all larger draws then the NHL. So The NHL is 7th on the depth chart for the average family on a budget to maybe go see an event or two per a year. It's not likely to be the NHL as the choice, unless your a transplant from the north who allready loves hockey and your gona wait till the team you love allready comes around.

So the summary is it wouldnt suprise anyone at all that there would be an abundence of Vancouver fans in Glendale, in the middle of February. Sounds like the perfect scenario to go on vacation and play some golf and catch a game that you can get easy tickets for. I think the NHL planned on this and really the 5,000 or so you say you saw might be low to what they were looking to draw consistently.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]Totally agree Scooter. I don't think Saskatoon has the corporate monies to keep an NHL team going. It will be even hard for Saskatoon to get a AHL team as Saskatoon would be in the middle of no where for teams to come to visit. Let's not forget that the Saskatoon arena is a Hunter arena, just like Edmonton's and Edmonton is replacing their rink, so you can think that Saskatoon would need replacing theirs as well. That would be a problem as they are having such a hard time getting a new stadium for the Roughriders. No domed stadium for now. Just a $20 mill upgrade for the 2013 Grey Cup. Does anyone remember Purina Dog food ?
    Posted by Stuke50[/QUOTE]

The AHL worked well in Winnipeg, why not Saskatoon?  If fact, it was the natural destination for the Moose when the Jet's came back.   I can't believe it didn't get more of a look.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

It would be great. So why isn't there one ? Trying to get a flight into and out of Saskatoon could be one of the reasons. It's not a hub of air flights. I wish them luck. It would be great to go back and see an AHL game. I still hope they get a dome for Taylor field as well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Running back to Saskatoon? : The AHL worked well in Winnipeg, why not Saskatoon?  If fact, it was the natural destination for the Moose when the Jet's came back.   I can't believe it didn't get more of a look.
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]

Hey Scooter !  Did you get tickets for the Bruin / Jets exibition game next Sept in Saskatoon ? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Running back to Saskatoon? : I guess I am just not convinced that Levin is truly interested in a Thompson/Chipman way (that is to say being all in with a viable gameplan). As for Milwakee, do they even have a viable arena? I haven't heard much about this angle which is so intriguing to me.
    Posted by jaywall[/QUOTE]

The Bucks and Admirals have been in negotiations with the city for over a year to get a replacement arena for the Bradley Centre. Nothing NHL wise can go forward until that is figured out (though the Bradley does currently sit 17,845 for hockey)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Running back to Saskatoon? : The AHL worked well in Winnipeg, why not Saskatoon?  If fact, it was the natural destination for the Moose when the Jet's came back.   I can't believe it didn't get more of a look.

Scooter, I think Saskatoon, Thunder Bay and Saint John's were all in contention. Danny Williams though was best prepared to take a team on short notice, and Mile One was already an AHL ready rink.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

[QUOTE]The race to see who gets an arena built first Quebec, Seattle or Saskatoon. I say the Emerald City gets one first  as they have an arena (Key) where a team can play temporarily just in case a place isn't finished in time. WHL has built a nice fan base in the Pacific Northwest over the years as well plus throw in that Seattle won't burden taxpayers for a big cost % for the building of a new place.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Amen SanDog having to fly to Boston, drive to Vancouver, or fly to LA to see my beloved Bruins play is no fun. Please let it be Seattle. Besides missing the sweet taste of Regina's pizza and Magic Hat I miss seeing our boys live every day. It is worse than the constant rain. Maybe a hockey team will help with the malase we call Seattle.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Running back to Saskatoon? : Amen SanDog having to fly to Boston, drive to Vancouver, or fly to LA to see my beloved Bruins play is no fun. Please let it be Seattle. Besides missing the sweet taste of Regina's pizza and Magic Hat I miss seeing our boys live every day. It is worse than the constant rain. Maybe a hockey team will help with the malase we call Seattle.
    Posted by Macfact[/QUOTE]

Hey Mac -- have you been to Paseo Caribbean?  Their sandwiches are killer!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Running back to Saskatoon? : Hey Scooter !  Did you get tickets for the Bruin / Jets exibition game next Sept in Saskatoon ? 
    Posted by Stuke50[/QUOTE]

You bet.  Got them first day.   Looking forward to getting the "Let's go Bruins'" chant going.  I know lots of B's fans who will be there.    Should be fun.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Running back to Saskatoon? : Scooter, I think Saskatoon, Thunder Bay and Saint John's were all in contention. Danny Williams though was best prepared to take a team on short notice, and Mile One was already an AHL ready rink.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

I was shocked at the lack of response by Saskatoon.  It was eerily quiet.  At first mention of the possibility of the Jet's returning they should have been lobbying hard and all we heard was crickets.  Brodsky's influence on what happens in CUC is mob like.  I'm sure he squashed any efforts to lure the Moose here. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In markets with less than 1 million people in the metro area, it becomes very, very dangerous to sustain a pro team, even if that city has a very devoted base for the sport. To sustain a competitive team, a franchise needs to spend on a par with other contenders.  The revenue stream can't be solely dependent on selling tickets.  It won't survive.  Secondly, will people in Saskatoon pay the kind of prices people in Boston or Toronto or even LA are paying? Once the legal issues are solved, the Coyotes will end up in Seattle.
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

I agree that a team, especially in a small market can't depend on tickets alone, and I doubt Saskatoon would have the other revenue streams, even if they had enough people, to support a team.

But I do think you would get a decent amount of people willing to pay top dollar (just not enough of them). The same question was raised about whether people would pay NHL prices for a team in Winnipeg. The Jets have the second highest average ticket price in the league, only behind Toronto, and they completely sold out for the next three years in about 5 minutes. I do think Prairie folks are willing to pay top dollar (The two other Prairie teams besides Winnipeg - Edmonton and Calgary - are 4th and 6th in avg. prices), but don't think Saskatoon has the population base.

Here's a listing of the average ticket prices foor this season
    http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/stars/post/_/id/13315/stars-have-cheapest-ticket-in-nhl
    Amazingly, the Jets' average is $40 more than the Bruins.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Running back to Saskatoon? : You bet.  Got them first day.   Looking forward to getting the "Let's go Bruins'" chant going.  I know lots of B's fans who will be there.    Should be fun.

I knew you would Scooter !  Cheer loud !....I was going to go as well, but I didn't want to be in Toon Town in the end of Sept. It's nicer in Aug. !  I'll catch the Bruins next Feb when they come out west in Edmonton and Calgary....go bruins

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevekubersky. Show stevekubersky's posts

[QUOTE]2 - Winnipeg sold the most merch because no one already had it.  I don't think you'll see that two years from now. 
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Well maybe not the most merch two years from now, but they should still be near the top I imagine.

I don't think the Florida Panthers sold the most merch on their first year. Even the Avalanche didn't sell much on their first year until they won the cup later that year.

Such is the rabid support the Jets already have. The team is actually shaping up nicely to make a serious run in a couple of years. Maybe they will remain the number one merch seller...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Running back to Saskatoon? : Hey Mac -- have you been to Paseo Caribbean?  Their sandwiches are killer!
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

No but I am there. I am going to have google that one. I have been really hard pressed to get food I am used to here. I can finally get a decent piece of pizza but nothing like home. There are some decent places but per captia compared to Boston the food is bland like the weather. The oysters and salmon are amazing. And some decent clam chowder believe it or not. Is Paseo in the city?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

The one Freemont 49 is closest an Oyster joint that would blow your mind away.

Unforgetable. Now if I could have that and a hockey game I could handle the rain. 49 are you close to Seattle.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]The one Freemont 49 is closest an Oyster joint that would blow your mind away. http://thewalrusbar.com/ Unforgetable. Now if I could have that and a hockey game I could handle the rain. 49 are you close to Seattle.
    Posted by Macfact[/QUOTE]

Yep, in VanCity -- last trip down to Seattle, last Spring Break, we went to the Paseo in Ballard, and the Cuban Roast sandwich was insanely good!  Also, the Southern Kitchen in Tacoma is amazing. 

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts