Rutherford on Kaberle

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Re: Rutherford on Kaberle

In Response to Re: Rutherford on Kaberle:
    In Response to Re: Rutherford on Kaberle : Jay, I think he's been awful but I'm trying to stay upbeat about him since I've grown tired of hearing how much of an upgrade he is. I'm just sick of arguing about him so I'm searching for positives. That contract thing was basically all I could think of.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Fair enough Dez. If the best thing to say about him is that he is not busting the budget then so be it. I can live with that. I would be livid if we had Kaberle playing like Corvo for twice the price.....lol!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

In my opinion, these (Carolina) sentiments are echoes of how the B's might have been feeling.  Regardless, I was elated when the B's acquired Joe Corvo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In my opinion, these (Carolina) sentiments are echoes of how the B's might have been feeling.  Regardless, I was elated when the B's acquired Joe Corvo.
    Posted by BTownExpress

I felt the same way when Kaberle signed with the Canes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In my opinion, these (Carolina) sentiments are echoes of how the B's might have been feeling.  Regardless, I was elated when the B's acquired Joe Corvo. Posted by BTownExpress

I think Joe has gotten better n better every game and he shoots, GOAT Corvo shoots!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

'those nice pieces' IS Joe Colborne. Period. Neither he nor Kaberle are with the Bruins any longer, but it is Colborne who will haunt - ask Peter Chiarelli - he "hated to let him go."

Who knows if the Bruins would've won the Cup without Kaberle - they won three Game 7's, 2 in OT - a lot had to go right. His 11 assists aside, I don't feel that Kaberle was an essential piece. By the end, Julien had zero confidence in Kaberle, but was too deep in it to do much else. Julien hid him best he could, giving him 6th defenceman minutes. Say what you want, but this is not the player they gave up Joe Colborne for. Who knows, maybe Shane Hnidy would've done just as well.

Does The Bruins winning the Cup validate and rationalize all decisions retroactively? If that's the case, why stop at Kaberle for Colborne? I mean wouldn't the June 2009 attempted-but-failed-trade of Kessel for Kaberle count too?

Chiarelli wanted Kaberle and the Leafs #7 Pick in the 2009 Draft (that was a week away at the time)
    Chiarelli was offering Kessel and the Bruins' 2010 1st Round pick (it would end up being at #15)

We know what happened; Burke didn't accept, The Bruins flipped their 2010 Pick  and Wideman to FLA for Horton and Campbell
    and the Leafs took Nazim Kadri at #7

If that trade happens, the Bruins now don't have Kessel, Kaberle, Seguin, Horton nor Campbell and they most probably don't have a Cup.
    Hey, but they have Nazim Kadri. (or, you'd like to think, they'd of taken Zach Kassian).

Where did the Bruins 'March to the Cup' begin? How far back does it go? Do the non-trades, the stuff Chiarelli tried but failed to do - and not from lack of trying - also count?

My point, Chiarelli wanted Kaberle as much as Rutherford did (took two runs at him) - and in both cases, the player they got and paid too dearly for, seemed to surprise only them with his ineffectiveness. i doubt it surprises Brian Burke or anyone else who saw him play in Toronto - his value was inflated. 

One just hopes, a coupla years from now, we won't be hearing that the Leafs' 'March to the Cup' started with the acquisition of Joe Colborne?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

'those nice pieces' IS Joe Colborne. Period. Neither he nor Kaberle are with the Bruins any longer, but it is Colborne who will haunt - ask Peter Chiarelli - he "hated to let him go." Who knows if the Bruins would've won the Cup without Kaberle - they won three Game 7's, 2 in OT - a lot had to go right. His 11 assists aside, I don't feel that Kaberle was an essential piece. By the end, Julien had zero confidence in Kaberle, but was too deep in it to do much else. Julien hid him best he could, giving him 6th defenceman minutes. Say what you want, but this is not the player they gave up Joe Colborne for. Who knows, maybe Shane Hnidy would've done just as well. Does The Bruins winning the Cup validate and rationalize all decisions retroactively? If that's the case, why stop at Kaberle for Colborne? I mean wouldn't the June 2009 attempted-but-failed-trade of Kessel for Kaberle count too? Chiarelli wanted Kaberle and the Leafs #7 Pick in the 2009 Draft (that was a week away at the time) Chiarelli was offering Kessel and the Bruins' 2010 1st Round pick (it would end up being at #15) We know what happened; Burke didn't accept, The Bruins flipped their 2010 Pick  and Wideman to FLA for Horton and Campbell and the Leafs took Nazim Kadri at #7 If that trade happens, the Bruins now don't have Kessel, Kaberle, Seguin, Horton nor Campbell and they most probably don't have a Cup. Hey, but they have Nazim Kadri. (or, you'd like to think, they'd of taken Zach Kassian). Where did the Bruins 'March to the Cup' begin? How far back does it go? Do the non-trades, the stuff Chiarelli tried but failed to do - and not from lack of trying - also count? My point, Chiarelli wanted Kaberle as much as Rutherford did (took two runs at him) - and in both cases, the player they got and paid too dearly for, seemed to surprise only them with his ineffectiveness. i doubt it surprises Brian Burke or anyone else who saw him play in Toronto - his value was inflated.  One just hopes, a coupla years from now, we won't be hearing that the Leafs' 'March to the Cup' started with the acquisition of Joe Colborne?
    Posted by gord11

What do you expect PC to say? Of course he'd be gracious.
    Who knows if the Bruins would've won with Hnidy replacing Kaberle's 11 points? So correct me if I'm wrong but it seems your side in this debate is nothing more than theory and conjecture.
    Does winning the Cup validate theories? Yes. I'm shocked you would ask.
    This "failed trade" you bring up is also just conjecture and regardless, if that trade did take place, who knows what number that pick might've ended up being? I mean really, more hypotheticals? Boston won the Cup.
    Regarding the Leafs run to the Cup and Colborne.......yeah, I'll take my chances.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

One Cup isn't cool anymore. You wanna know what's cool?

A Dynasty. 5 Cups.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"My point, Chiarelli wanted Kaberle as much as Rutherford did (took two runs at him) - and in both cases, the player they got and paid too dearly for, seemed to surprise only them with his ineffectiveness. i doubt it surprises Brian Burke or anyone else who saw him play in Toronto - his value was inflated."

Chiarelli paid Kaberle for 3 months, Rutherford is now stuck with Kaberle for 3 years and $12.75M. Here is the only answer for the new BDC Laffs troll, The Bruins are reigning Stanley Cup champs so the price is worth it and Toronto got a few really good prospects that might turn out, maybe.

That is what you refuse to admit, but hey good look tonight and please come back n play some more...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

" My point, Chiarelli wanted Kaberle as much as Rutherford did (took two runs at him) - and in both cases, the player they got and paid too dearly for, seemed to surprise only them with his ineffectiveness. i doubt it surprises Brian Burke or anyone else who saw him play in Toronto - his value was inflated." Chiarelli paid Kaberle for 3 months, Rutherford is now stuck with Kaberle for 3 years and $12.75M. Here is the only answer for the new BDC Laffs troll, The Bruins are reigning Stanley Cup champs so the price is worth it and Toronto got a few really good prospects that might turn out, maybe . That is what you refuse to admit, but hey good look tonight and please come back n play some more...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Not sure what Rutherford was thinking when he signed Kaberle to the cash he did. He is usually frugal and there probably was not too big a market for good old Thomas. The Canes did not really need his skill set anyway considering they still have Pitkanen.

Mystifying to say the least.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

One Cup isn't cool anymore. You wanna know what's cool? A Dynasty. 5 Cups.
    Posted by gord11

Oh, I see. In order to be cool, Boston has to do something that hasn't been done in 50 years. That's a reasonable request.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

It was a play on Sean Parker's line - by way of Justin Timberlake - about 'million dollars vs a billion...'  from The Social Network. I thought you'd pick up on it, for sure and I'd have to say something like; "it's good to see that you don't spend ALL your time blogging in your underwear."

I guess I don't have to say it.

What it means is don't be satisfied with one Cup - the window on a dynasty is only open for so long. When you say, "The Bruins are Cup Champs, every decision they made was the right one..." you're not thinking big enough

Joe Colborne, even if he never fit into the Bruins long-range plans, is a piece they could have put to better and later use - like say, this year - to help them really bolster their blueline, around the trade deadline, for a run at a second Cup.
    Cup Champions or not, Joe Colborne was wasted on Tomas Kaberle. Anybody would've been.
    Chiarelli learned, and the B's are even better now than they were last year. He learned he's gotta be more discerning - not just anyone's a Bruin

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

It was a play on Sean Parker's line - by way of Justin Timberlake - about 'million dollars vs a billion...'  from The Social Network. I thought you'd pick up on it, for sure and I'd have to say something like; "it's good to see that you don't spend ALL your time blogging in your underwear." I guess I don't have to say it. What it means is don't be satisfied with one Cup - the window on a dynasty is only open for so long. When you say, "The Bruins are Cup Champs, every decision they made was the right one..." you're not thinking big enough Joe Colborne, even if he never fit into the Bruins long-range plans, is a piece they could have put to better and later use - like say, this year - to help them really bolster their blueline, around the trade deadline, for a run at a second Cup. Cup Champions or not, Joe Colborne was wasted on Tomas Kaberle. Anybody would've been. Chiarelli learned, and the B's are even better now than they were last year. He learned he's gotta be more discerning - not just anyone's a Bruin
    Posted by gord11

Another post full of nothing but fluff and conjecture. Tell somebody else what the Bruins need to do in order to be good. I think I've got a reasonable enough grasp of what's going on to know my opinion won't be swayed by what you've got to say about Colborne and other "what-ifs". Thanks for trying to enlighten me though.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

I was listening on XM when they interviewed Rutherford. He was talking so matter-of-faculty that I had to sit back and say "What did I just hear?" Not only what was quoted above, but things like "Kaberle didn't come to camp in the shape we expected, or would have hoped. Coming off the Cup Win I guess he spent a lot of time celebrating" and "he hasn't shown much willingness to snap out of it" He went on to suggest that Kaberle needed to show improvement, and seemed to have no issues with trading him or giving him the Wade Redden treatment. It was a great interview, would love to hear it again

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I was listening on XM when they interviewed Rutherford. He was talking so matter-of-faculty that I had to sit back and say "What did I just hear?" Not only what was quoted above, but things like "Kaberle didn't come to camp in the shape we expected, or would have hoped. Coming off the Cup Win I guess he spent a lot of time celebrating" and "he hasn't shown much willingness to snap out of it" He went on to suggest that Kaberle needed to show improvement, and seemed to have no issues with trading him or giving him the Wade Redden treatment. It was a great interview, would love to hear it again
    Posted by davecarr

Rutherford needs to take responsibility for the bad signing. Maybe Kaberle doesn't care about hockey anymore. Hey, I support Kaberle more than most people but I was shocked to see how much Rutherford paid for him. He saw the same playoffs that we did. It didn't look like there was going to be a bidding war yet Rutherford paid him like there was.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Word from CBC's The Hotstove last night had Rutherford possibly headed upstairs to a higher position with the Canes and Ron Francis replacing him. Although almost likely later then sooner.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Word from CBC's The Hotstove last night had Rutherford possibly headed upstairs to a higher position with the Canes and Ron Francis replacing him. Although almost likely later then sooner.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

The sign of a powerful GM where the the only option an owner thinks he has is to promote his GM to get rid of him rather than fire him. Shades of KLowe in Edmonton.....

Sections
Shortcuts