Rutherford to be New Pens GM

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Rutherford to be New Pens GM

Too bad for Pierre:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=454122

Oh well....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Rutherford to be New Pens GM

Rutherford isnt a bad choice either.  Should be interesting to see what happens from here with the Pens.  Maybe he trades Malkin to the Canes for the Staal brothers.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Darn it and I was so looking forward to Glen Healey coming to NBC.

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Ha! Maybe. Actually, it will be interesting to see what he does without a team internal cap holding him back

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Well Rutherford hasn't done much with the Hurricanes the last few years,other than overpay for Jordan Stall,but then every GM has to overpay,right? One good move i can think of was talking Bob Gainey into thinking Tomas Kaberle was just what the doctor ordered to get the Scabs transition game going,so Gainey took him with 3 yrs left on his deal,leading to a compliance buyout.Man i wish Gainey was still the GM of the Scabs,either that or Stanley. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

Well Rutherford hasn't done much with the Hurricanes the last few years,other than overpay for Jordan Stall,but then every GM has to overpay,right? One good move i can think of was talking Bob Gainey into thinking Tomas Kaberle was just what the doctor ordered to get the Scabs transition game going,so Gainey took him with 3 yrs left on his deal,leading to a compliance buyout.Man i wish Gainey was still the GM of the Scabs,either that or Stanley. 

He signed Semin to a team friendly deal.  I just went down their roster.  Terrible defense outside a few names.  Zero depth up front and get this...an overpriced aging backup goalie.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

.  Terrible defense outside a few names.  Zero depth up front and get this...an overpriced aging backup goalie.  

Bad D is, in part, due to Rutherford's reluctance to draft Dmen in the past. Apparently he felt the development time was wasted and it was simply easier to trade for a mature Dman. Recently he has changed his mind on this, hence the past few drafts.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Too bad for Pierre:

Too bad for us!  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

He signed Semin to a team friendly deal.  I just went down their roster.  Terrible defense outside a few names.  Zero depth up front and get this...an overpriced aging backup goalie.  

Thats GM suicide right there i tell ya', an overpaid starter is one thing,but a backup? Total GM killer if i ever saw one!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Too bad for Pierre:

Too bad for us!  

Ruined what was a good week. I am not kidding....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Rutherford didn't have the budget other GMs have but yah the last few veteran free agents signings were bad. Although I think if the Canes keep Khudobin they might have a goalie there.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Kypreos on HockeyCentral at Noon, just said McGuire was offered the job, but they couldn't agree on the length of his contract.  He wanted five years.  They offered two years.

***Follow Fluto on twitter.  He's awesome.***

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I understand the recycling of coaches and GM's in this league. The change of scenery sometimes works for their careers and the teams they're going to.

But this hiring is baffling for me considering the ineptitude of the Canes missing the playoffs the last 5 years and Rutherford's age. 

As a Bruins fan, and if the Bruins were looking for a GM and hired Rutherford I'd be disappointed.

I was thinking that after he got shoved upstairs with the Ron Francis promotion his expiry date had come and gone. I guess not.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Jeebus, I'm agreeing with Chowdah a lot today.  I feel exactly the same way.  Baffled by this, but as a Bruins fan, I can only hope this is the beginning of the end for Pitt as a contender.

Are you not entertained?!?!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

Kypreos on HockeyCentral at Noon, just said McGuire was offered the job, but they couldn't agree on the length of his contract.  He wanted five years.  They offered two years.

Really? NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Why couldn't they just agree on 3 years with a club option for the 4th??? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!!!!!!!!!!!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:

Really? NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Why couldn't they just agree on 3 years with a club option for the 4th??? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder why Pierre felt he was in a position to make demands.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/dan-bylsma-fired-by-pittsburgh-penguins-and-new-gm-jim-rutherford-170900554.html

And as we all pretty much knew the next thing to happen today...

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

• You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Yeah, had to see that coming. Now Bylsma can go back to coaching the 1972 CCCP team (That's what I always think of when I see him for some reason lol)

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I imagine Bylsma to Vancouver will be the new topic trending.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

guess McGuire didn't know that Crosby & Malkin are on the Pens....

[object HTMLDivElement]

• You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Why wouldn't the Pens fire Bylsma at the same time as Shero or shortly afterwards? Like he was twisting in the wind for weeks. Wasn't he also as good as gone after the Rangers beat Pittsburgh?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[object HTMLDivElement

fifty, my thinking exactly. Almost as if the Pens are planning something else down the road . Close to draft, Rutherford seems a non daring pick for GM. Is Rutherfords contract long term? 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

Too bad for Pierre:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=454122" rel="nofollow">http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=454122

Oh well....

Never felt they would take Pierre.  I don't think we'll seehim as a gm anytime  soon for any of the existing teams

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

I wondered about this also.  Maybe it's because he has it pretty good on TV right now.  Leave a rock solid job for a chance at glory which will almost surely end in a ball of flames.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

I wondered about this also.  Maybe it's because he has it pretty good on TV right now.  Leave a rock solid job for a chance at glory which will almost surely end in a ball of flames.

It just seems like a pretty weak resume filler. This is from a quick wiki search.....

McGuire joined the Hartford Whalers on August 28, 1992 as an assistant coach and on September 8, 1993 became the team's assistant general manager. On November 16, 1993, McGuire was named head coach of the Whalers. He replaced Paul Holmgren, who had stepped aside due to frustration with a lack of effort from his players and a desire to focus on his role as the team's general manager. At 32, McGuire was the youngest head coach in the NHL. Prior to becoming coach of the Whalers, McGuire had never been a head coach at any level. During his six months as Whalers head coach, McGuire coached the team to a 23-37-7 record. McGuire was fired on May 19, 1994. After McGuire was fired, captain Pat Verbeek called it the best thing that could have happened to the Whalers. He said that his teammates had no respect for McGuire and that McGuire was mocked by other teams. In 1995, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman ruled that McGuire would forfeit half of the remaining salary owed to him by the Whalers for providing confidential coaching evaluations that had been prepared while employed by Hartford to the Edmonton Oilers.[20]

• Sections
    Shortcuts