RW Kevin Hayes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

RW Kevin Hayes

Is Kevin Hayes the answer. Chicago’s 1st pick in 2010. A true RW with size and power. He may be up for grabs come Aug 15th. With Chicago deep on the right side he may opt to leave and can be signed with an entry level deal. Last year in Boston College 40GP 27G 38A 65 PTS 6’4” 216lbs. Do you guys know anything about him?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/where-is-kevin-hayes-going-and-what-can-the-chicago-blackhawks-do-about-it/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: RW Kevin Hayes

Will probably join his brother in Florida me thinks. Not sure I would call an unproven prospect "the answer." If he was, the Hawks would not be letting him go.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Will probably join his brother in Florida me thinks. Not sure I would call an unproven prospect "the answer." If he was, the Hawks would not be letting him go.

Hayes can become a UFA August 15 if he waits.

Advantage: Hayes .......$$$$$$$ and destination.

I think this situation is a matter of Hayes being able to make more money and go wherever he wants to ........instead of the Hawks letting a 1st round pick go.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

you may be right. Funny how one excellent season in college in a senior year can translate into more $$$ in a league he hasn't had a sniff at.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

With Kane, Hossa, Versteeg and Smith locked up. Chicago will most likely let him go like we did Wheeler back in the day. Perhaps Florida, but what about Boston? Home town and a chance to step in and play and become the next power forward the Bruins are looking for (future wise)

In this case he is in position to pick his team sort of and he may go where he has the best chance of cracking the lineup. The $’s will be entry level at best because he has yet to play NHL level.
    As far as answer goes he is a candidate because he is an RW that can be brought in at a low cap hit.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

If he waits until Aug 15 he is a UFA, as Chowda states. He will likely get more than EL money.

At least a Krug-like contract with a $894k base and loaded with bonuses.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to NBbruinsfan's comment:

The $’s will be entry level at best because he has yet to play NHL level.

[/QUOTE]

What's not at best is the performance bonuses.

A comparison:

Blake Wheeler's first contract ( ELC ) was worth about $1M more then Andrew Ladd's ( ELC ) because of bonuses.

Ladd was picked fourth, one spot ahead of Wheeler's 5th overall in the 2004 draft.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

you may be right. Funny how one excellent season in college in a senior year can translate into more $$$ in a league he hasn't had a sniff at.

The "show me what you got first" has taken a backseat to.............. potential = more $$$.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

We can look at it this way. This is a chance to bring in a good young talent (?) at entry level even if bonus is like Krug’s. After Smith on RW who do we have? Caron, RFA Fraser…. Today he is 4 years older and is grown up ready for his NHL shot. Is he better then what we have? I don’t know. But if he is and his future is considered good. I would think he might be a good pick up. It will depend on him. Does he want to play for the Bruins and does Chia think he is a good fit, perhaps a gamble solution with up side. He is a Left shot though….

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Given what I have seen so far of the free agent market, somebody is likely to pay him too much for too long.

I like him and I think he'd be a decent acquisition or the Bruins.  But when bidding against everyone else, you have to think the Bruins are less motivated to to be the highest bidder given A. their cap situation B. team depth. C. a conservative GM compared to others; and D. that fact that Hayes is an unproven commodity.

I bet somebody else gets him.  Florida is a good guess, since the brothers probably like playing together.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

If i'm Bowman the 1st contract i'm looking at is Versteeg's to get under the cap. Hayes is a raw talent that needs some AHL seasoning. He played well at the Worlds this past spring, handles the puck well for a big kid but I don't think Hayes is the answer for the Bruins RW on the 3rd line this season. 

If Hayes does come available I would love to see him playing with Camara and Griffith in Providence. He is tough to knock off the puck along the boards. Wish he had Kreider's speed but that would mean he would be signed already.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I know it has been alluded to that being a left handed shot RW isn't really a big deal,Hayes is a another left hand shooting RW. Do the B's really need another? Especially one who hasn't played one shift in the NHL and is going to be overpaid.I'd rethink this move. 

You will never find a more wretched hive of SCUM and VILLAINY.

-Obi-Wan Kenobi

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

If Smith and Krug were signed and there were cap room I might see a scenario where the B's would be interested. Don't think he will be coming here for those reasons.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

If Smith and Krug were signed and there were cap room I might see a scenario where the B's would be interested. Don't think he will be coming here for those reasons.

Agree with this. As is the B's barely have enough to sign these two. Bringing in another body is just not an option at the moment.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/19/columnist-says-bruins-should-target-kevin-hayes/

Street hockey is great for kids. It’s energetic, competitive, and skillful. And best of all it keeps them off the street.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to MeanE's comment:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/19/columnist-says-bruins-should-target-kevin-hayes/" rel="nofollow">http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/19/columnist-says-bruins-should-target-kevin-hayes/

Street hockey is great for kids. It’s energetic, competitive, and skillful. And best of all it keeps them off the street.

$900K plus bonuses for an unknown quantity. Might as well stick Fraser in there for $625K.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Agree with this. As is the B's barely have enough to sign these two. Bringing in another body is just not an option at the moment.

Is he the answer to what?  "Whose name will be synonymous with 'fire hydrant' in the line: I could put a fire hydrant on a line with Johnny Gaudreau and he'd get 1.5 points a game..."?  Ah, Slats...back before he got fat and rich.

Look, if he's up for bids, I don't see any reason why ChiaPete doesn't go after him if he thinks the kid has real potential and not just jumped up hopes based on one good season playing on a line with the magic Cabbage Patch doll.  Remember that Chiarelli won a similar sweepstakes twice with Blake the Flake and Krug, and in Krug's case, got creative to do it.  Also remember that, in Krug's case, the player wasn't on the Cap right away.  He went to Providence - after just enough NHL experience to meet the deal they made to get him in.

So, there don't need to be cap implications to signing an EL guy.  The only reason there would be is if you think he should play in Boston.  But if he plays in Boston, then someone already in the mix will not, so really, he's about a $300K risk to the Cap structure - the difference between a max salary of $900K and the $600K of a Florek or Fraser. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to MeanE's comment:

$900K plus bonuses for an unknown quantity. Might as well stick Fraser in there for $625K.

I guess it would come down to what the Bruins Brass and their scouting department thinks of him, compared to what they already have.  I wasn't enamored with what I saw of Fraser and I have only seen one game live of Hayes, who might be a product of Johnny Hockey? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Good point. But really don't see PC picking up another prospect at this time. I think he is in "wait and see what I have mode for the moment. Hence the short term one-way contract signings recently with the prospect pool at large.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Good point. But really don't see PC picking up another prospect at this time. I think he is in "wait and see what I have mode for the moment. Hence the short term one-way contract signings recently with the prospect pool at large.

The Short term one-way contract signings would make me think that another Hayes signing might be possible, who knows?  To me, signing guys like Hayes seems like free money.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

You might be right. I am thinking though that he wants to play in the show, not wallow around in the A...which is probably why he held out to begin with. If that is the case then a $900k bonus laden contract might not be the best thing for the team at the moment.

Just my opinion though

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I guess that's the real question.  I don't see any reason why PC would not want to add a guy who was good enough to go in the first round if all it cost him was one of his 50 contracts.  If he could sign him, see what he has, and then have him play where his talents dictate, fine.  But if Hayes knows he'll get the same money on his EL no matter where he signs, and that, if he plays in the NHL and plays reasonably well he'll make more money sooner on his second deal, then it may not matter because he'll choose a team where the odds of playing in the NHL are better.

Are you not entertained?!?!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Yep. Krug is an example. One of the major reasons he signed in Boston was because PC allowed him to finish the season with the team.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Unknown to you but not hockey fans that follow college hockey. Kreider scored less goals his last year at BC than Hayes did and Chris was a hot commodity coming out of the college ranks. Hayes is in no position to demand he be at the NHL level before plays a bit in the AHL. Cap hit won't mean a thing while he is learning the ropes in Providence.

I still prefer a right handed shot if anyone is brought in.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I remember reading that this player was mad that Chicago traded his brother.  

My guess is that Florida is his first choice.

Sections
Shortcuts