RW Kevin Hayes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: RW Kevin Hayes

In response to BigBadnBruin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Calgary Florida are the 2 obvious choices but there are plenty of teams that can offer what he wants.  I hope the Bruins stay clear.  

[/QUOTE]

I really don't understand this type of thinking.

This is a former 1st round pick with an extra 4 years of evaluation thrown in. If a GM likes the guy, and the player is still bound to an entry level contract, why not take a shot?

The bonus money only becomes a factor if he performs well enough, to make the bonuses. How is that a bad thing?

He's a right-handed shot with size (6' 4"). Two things the Bruins are lacking in their young players.

IF Chiarelli likes him, he would be foolish to not try and sign him.

[/QUOTE]

What I think Shupe is trying to say is the Bruins don't have the cap space to sign a kid like Hayes. To do so they would have to dismantle some of the team trading away some of the vets for draft pics, no cap $ in return.  Bruins would weaken themselves going this route.

If the Bruins were in a rebuild I could see them bidding high for him .

p.s. Hayes will not take hometown discount .

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:[QUOTE] @ChrisKuc

"#Blackhawks officially announce they could not come to a contract agreement with Kevin Hayes. Forward will be unrestricted free agent."

Do it PC! [/QUOTE]

PC is pretty conservative I doubt he gets into this bidding war that has begun with his agent [/QUOTE]

You mean like when PC was conservative with Krug ? He outbid all the other teams that were after Torey.

@MarkDivver

"Office of Robert Murray, agent for Kevin Hayes, will be busy today. Meetings with NHL teams on tap in Needham this afternoon."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

@ChrisKuc

"#Blackhawks officially announce they could not come to a contract agreement with Kevin Hayes. Forward will be unrestricted free agent."

Do it PC!

[/QUOTE]

PC is pretty conservative I doubt he gets into this bidding war that has begun with his agent.

I think Bourke is going all in .  Then of course there's Tallon, he likes everything Chicago touches ; )

[/QUOTE]

Calgary Florida are the 2 obvious choices but there are plenty of teams that can offer what he wants.  I hope the Bruins stay clear.  

[/QUOTE]

This is a former 1st round pick with an extra 4 years of evaluation thrown in. If a GM likes the guy, and the player is still bound to an entry level contract, why not take a shot?

The bonus money only becomes a factor if he performs well enough, to make the bonuses. How is that a bad thing?

He's a right-handed shot with size (6' 4"). Two things the Bruins are lacking in their young players.

[/QUOTE]

He played in the NCAA.  Of course PC will try to sign him.

I generally agree that you don't just walk away from a chance to pick up a guy with #1 pick talent for nothing but the salary you pay him (unless he's festered in the AHL and proven he has no shot a la Hamill).  I don't think it's smart to give him crazy bonus money or guarantee him much more than, say, enough games this year to ensure he gets to RFA sooner than later.  I mean, the guy will be 27 and UFA eligible by lunchtime tomorrow considering he's already 4 years post draft, so why not offer him what is only a small incentive unless he proves he's an impact player?

The only issue I have with the "how is it bad if he earns his bonuses" is that Justin Schultz was able to earn $2.8M in bonuses playing porous defense and dropping off precipitously in terms offensive performance.  Bonuses aren't necessarily reserved for Calder caliber play.  Some of them, anyway.  A Krug-like deal that would let him double his salary in bonuses is worth offering, but beyond that, I think you'd be losing the benefit of having an impact EL player.  You might be no better off in terms of performance vs Cap than if you just stick with Fraser and Co.

[object HTMLDivElement]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to BsLegion's comment:[QUOTE] @ChrisKuc

Do it PC! [/QUOTE]

PC is pretty conservative I doubt he gets into this bidding war that has begun with his agent [/QUOTE]

You mean like when PC was conservative with Krug ? He outbid all the other teams that were after Tore.

@MarkDivver

"Office of Robert Murray, agent for Kevin Hayes, will be busy today. Meetings with NHL teams on tap in Needham this afternoon."

[/QUOTE]

I think Hayes carries more pedigree than Krug. Hayes was drafted in the 1st round, Krug overage and un-drafted.  Hayes has natural size and some speed for his position, Krug was small especially for a D.

I didn't see PC taking risks wit the contract e offered Krug.  Krug saw the Bruins were in good position to compete, cup winners and could have offered Krug that clause in his contract that he finish the season on the Bruins roster.  Bruins were in good position to let Krug play that year due to their positioning in the standings.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I believe he's a left shooting right wing, if that makes any difference.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:[QUOTE] You mean like when PC was conservative with Krug ? He outbid all the other teams that were after Tore.

@MarkDivver

"Office of Robert Murray, agent for Kevin Hayes, will be busy today. Meetings with NHL teams on tap in Needham this afternoon." [/QUOTE]

I think Hayes carries more pedigree than Krug. Hayes was drafted in the 1st round, Krug overage and un-drafted.  Hayes has natural size and some speed for his position, Krug was small especially for a D.

I didn't see PC taking risks wit the contract e offered Krug.  Krug saw the Bruins were in good position to compete, cup winners and could have offered Krug that clause in his contract that he finish the season on the Bruins roster.  Bruins were in good position to let Krug play that year due to their positioning in the standings.[/QUOTE]

There was a bidding war for Krug, absolutely happened. Krug's agent did have that clause put in to play with the Bruins at the end of the season. A lot of NHL pundits and Bruins fans thought PC overpaid, that Krug's was being offered too much bonus money.

PCs only other way of seeing what Hayes can do, outside of BC, was at the Worlds this year. Although Hayes play was real good, I don't think it gave him a bigger glimpse of what PC saw of Krug at Michigan State.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Nobody gets good paying for pedigree.

Are you not entertained?!?!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

@ChrisKuc

Do it PC!

[/QUOTE]

PC is pretty conservative I doubt he gets into this bidding war that has begun with his agent.

I think Bourke is going all in .  Then of course there's Tallon, he likes everything Chicago touches ; )

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He played in the NCAA.  Of course PC will try to sign him.

I generally agree that you don't just walk away from a chance to pick up a guy with #1 pick talent for nothing but the salary you pay him (unless he's festered in the AHL and proven he has no shot a la Hamill).  I don't think it's smart to give him crazy bonus money or guarantee him much more than, say, enough games this year to ensure he gets to RFA sooner than later.  I mean, the guy will be 27 and UFA eligible by lunchtime tomorrow considering he's already 4 years post draft, so why not offer him what is only a small incentive unless he proves he's an impact player?

The only issue I have with the "how is it bad if he earns his bonuses" is that Justin Schultz was able to earn $2.8M in bonuses playing porous defense and dropping off precipitously in terms offensive performance.  Bonuses aren't necessarily reserved for Calder caliber play.  Some of them, anyway.  A Krug-like deal that would let him double his salary in bonuses is worth offering, but beyond that, I think you'd be losing the benefit of having an impact EL player.  You might be no better off in terms of performance vs Cap than if you just stick with Fraser and Co.

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Book, you summed up what my shorter reply was hinting at.  Some team is going to offer sweet bonuses.  If they werent he simply would have signed in Chitown.   As reported at least a dozen teams with deep pockets and the ability to make a financial risk with this player.  I dont think the Bruins are in shape to toss dollars at a what if.  This is a player looking to get top 6 minutes, a big bonus enhanced deal with the opportunity to cash in down the road.  I dont think coming to Boston is going to give him this.  If i were him id be taking my talents to Florida where i can play with my bro, sign for large bonus cash, get a chance to play big minutes in the top 6 and pp on a team in need, tax free coin, the ability to cash in in the near future.  

Sure boston gives him a great chance to win a cup, but no better then Chicago would have.  Im not buying that this guy gives the Bruins a homer discount.  Being an older player he needs to make hay while the sunshines.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Nobody gets good paying for pedigree."

Apparently you haven't seen the Westmister Kennel Club show recently.

Jeez!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]

"Nobody gets good paying for pedigree."

Apparently you haven't seen the Westmister Kennel Club show recently.

Jeez!

[/QUOTE]

Kind of agree with Book though...I hate that whole "he comes from good lineage" mentality. This is not the 19th century after all.... 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigBadnBruin. Show BigBadnBruin's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I believe he's a left shooting right wing, if that makes any difference.

[/QUOTE]

You're right. There is a picture of him playing for Boston College that shows he is a lefty.

I was going by Hockey's Future, who has him listed as a right handed shot.

Some people have mentioned that he won't take a "home town discount", which I totally agree with. I am not sure why it was mentioned, because I do not believe that anyone suggested that he would even be considering it.

Florida has also been mentioned as a destination point because of his brother. Problem with that, is they both play RW, and rather than playing with his brother, he may be competing with him, for his job.

Again, if the Bruins were really excited about this guy's potential, he would be worth the extra 300,000 or less than they would be paying Spooner, Koko, Caron, Fraser, or whoever to play the same position.

If the bonuses become to onerous for next year's cap, then they will just walk away from the bidding.

I just don't think that this guy will command Justin Schultz money because I don't believe that Hayes carries the same potential tag, that Schultz had.

This guy looks to be a 3rd or 4th liner. Hardly the type to start a bidding war, no matter what sales pitch his agent may be trying to sell.

None of us even know if Chiarelli is even interested in this guy, or how much confidence he has in his current prospects. The fact that Gagne has been invited to camp, indicates he feels that outside help is needed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I don't read anything like that in the signing of Gagne.  Gagne hasn't played in almost two years.  If that's a cry for help, it's not help for the forward group; it's PC saying "help!  I don't know how to GM!"

No GM in his right mind looks at his team and says "we're in trouble; scouts, find me a guy who hasn't played in two years and hasn't been healthy in five to fix the darn situation!" 

You bring Gagne to camp for one of three reasons:

1. He's a veteran player with who has scored nearly 300 NHL goals and been through a lot of adversity, and having a veteran like that around can be good for a camp where some of your top prospects can see a job opportunity both as competition but also to show what the bar is for guys trying to make it.  If Gagne is doing the windsprints til he pukes, maybe you should, too.  If Gagne is staying after practice to lift and ride the bike, maybe you should too.

2. It costs you absolutely nothing.  As NAS said on his thread, 75% for 75% of the games and Gagne is a very useful piece at $1M/yr.  And if you don't think he can bring anything to the table, you thank him for coming and he leaves.

3. He's a classy veteran looking for someone to give him a chance to practice, play some exhibition games, and show he still has something to offer to an NHL club even if it's not the Bruins.  Community service.

None of these things is about the current crop of Bruins in any way.  And it's the same with Hayes, from the Bruins' perspective.  Instead of a veteran, he's a first rounder who's looking to walk in and jump the queue that guys like Spooner, Fraser or Florek have been standing in for years - that's good motivation right there.  Like the veteran camp invite, it costs you nothing.  The only difference is there's no community service, though you might get into the bidding to make sure it goes high to drive other contenders to the curb.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]

Book, you summed up what my shorter reply was hinting at.  Some team is going to offer sweet bonuses.  If they werent he simply would have signed in Chitown.   As reported at least a dozen teams with deep pockets and the ability to make a financial risk with this player.  I dont think the Bruins are in shape to toss dollars at a what if.  This is a player looking to get top 6 minutes, a big bonus enhanced deal with the opportunity to cash in down the road.  I dont think coming to Boston is going to give him this.  If i were him id be taking my talents to Florida where i can play with my bro, sign for large bonus cash, get a chance to play big minutes in the top 6 and pp on a team in need, tax free coin, the ability to cash in in the near future.  

Sure boston gives him a great chance to win a cup, but no better then Chicago would have.  Im not buying that this guy gives the Bruins a homer discount.  Being an older player he needs to make hay while the sunshines.  

[/QUOTE]

Yeah.  I took your point to be about money limitations, but the playing time limitation is a better point.  They might agree to keep him in Boston, but there won't be much latitude if he's not ready for primetime. 

I wonder if there's a flaw in that thinking about going to Florida, though.  I mean, playing with Huberdeau or Bjugstad or Barkov might not be a bad gig, and you won't have many other guys to beat out for ice, but you might need to be prepped to lose a lot, and you'd need to be disciplined so as to avoid bad habits.  I guess it's all about the chance, but how hard would it be for a young guy who made his decision based on the chance to show he should be paid like a top tier player to resist trying to pad his stats or make individual plays - sort of the hockey equivalent of nobody walks off the island.
    [object HTMLDivElement]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigBadnBruin. Show BigBadnBruin's posts

I don't read anything like that in the signing of Gagne.  Gagne hasn't played in almost two years.  If that's a cry for help, it's not help for the forward group; it's PC saying "help!  I don't know how to GM!"

No GM in his right mind looks at his team and says "we're in trouble; scouts, find me a guy who hasn't played in two years and hasn't been healthy in five to fix the darn situation!" 

1. He's a veteran player with who has scored nearly 300 NHL goals and been through a lot of adversity, and having a veteran like that around can be good for a camp where some of your top prospects can see a job opportunity both as competition but also to show what the bar is for guys trying to make it.  If Gagne is doing the windsprints til he pukes, maybe you should, too.  If Gagne is staying after practice to lift and ride the bike, maybe you should too.

2. It costs you absolutely nothing.  As NAS said on his thread, 75% for 75% of the games and Gagne is a very useful piece at $1M/yr.  And if you don't think he can bring anything to the table, you thank him for coming and he leaves.

3. He's a classy veteran looking for someone to give him a chance to practice, play some exhibition games, and show he still has something to offer to an NHL club even if it's not the Bruins.  Community service.

None of these things is about the current crop of Bruins in any way.  And it's the same with Hayes, from the Bruins' perspective.  Instead of a veteran, he's a first rounder who's looking to walk in and jump the queue that guys like Spooner, Fraser or Florek have been standing in for years - that's good motivation right there.  Like the veteran camp invite, it costs you nothing.  The only difference is there's no community service, though you might get into the bidding to make sure it goes high to drive other contenders to the curb.

OR, as a GM, you shot your load last year in a bid for the cup, and bet this year's chances with the Iginla signing. And because of that, and a lower than expected Cap, you have backed yourself into a corner, and are desperately grasping out for anything that might get you out of the situation you have put yourself in.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yes, they went for it with Iginla.  No, they're not "backed into a corner and flailing".  That would be dumping players for 5th round picks just to have the money to overpay for some UFA.  There's no reason to think they've brought in Gagne for any reason other than the ones I mentioned above. Now, if they suddenly invite Penner and Whitney and Ryan Malone and Todd Bertuzzi and just a big free for all of aging UFA wingers looking to catch on for another season, then sure, I will say you were right and I was wrong, and they are desperately looking for a veteran player because they don't trust the rookies and don't have the resources for anything but a desperate solution.  Until that happens, Gagne's a flier (see what I did there?) and nothing else.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

Yes, they went for it with Iginla.  No, they're not "backed into a corner and flailing".  That would be dumping players for 5th round picks just to have the money to overpay for some UFA.  There's no reason to think they've brought in Gagne for any reason other than the ones I mentioned above. Now, if they suddenly invite Penner and Whitney and Ryan Malone and Todd Bertuzzi and just a big free for all of aging UFA wingers looking to catch on for another season, then sure, I will say you were right and I was wrong, and they are desperately looking for a veteran player because they don't trust the rookies and don't have the resources for anything but a desperate solution.  Until that happens, Gagne's a flier (see what I did there?) and nothing else.

[/QUOTE]

I personally think Penner would be a good fit.  For a big guy hes not slow.  I can see him as a jet.   Pancakes n Buff. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

This for the dogman from Cali:

Danny Picard ‏@DannyPicard 3h
    As I reported Saturday on WEEI, the #Bruins are trying to sign Kevin Hayes, and are one of 5 teams that will talk to him & his agent today.

more

Mark Divver ‏@MarkDivver 7m
    Expecting news on Kevin Hayes by day's end. Was told a month ago that Avs were frontrunners. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I personally think Penner would be a good fit.  For a big guy hes not slow.  I can see him as a jet.   Pancakes n Buff. 

[/QUOTE]

I also am a fan of Penner.  He really steps it up in the playoffs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]

This for the dogman from Cali:

Danny Picard ‏@DannyPicard 3h
    As I reported Saturday on WEEI, the #Bruins are trying to sign Kevin Hayes, and are one of 5 teams that will talk to him & his agent today.

[/QUOTE]

Hayes must feel like "the s**t" at the moment. Teams fighting over him and all :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, because yet another player with a history of concussions is exactly what this team needs at the moment....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I like the idea of signing a quality prospect.  You can never have too many.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Shupe, I've read that Hayes is concerned with just signing with a team he's got a real chance of making. I don't think top 6 minutes would be a deal breaker.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from -Chowda-. Show -Chowda-'s posts

This signing would be great for the Bruins having more talent............  but he wants the cash plus he wants to play in the NHL.

Two things that the Bruins might not be able to give him considering their cap situation and the lack of open spots on their roster.

I'm guessing he goes to a younger team where he'll get both. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Given the voids on wing that Boston has right at this moment, if he Hayes can't grab that opportunity he doesn't deserve to play in the NHL this year.  There are numerous contenders for jobs with the Bruins, but no clear front-runners.  He's a 22-year old 1st rounder.  He should be able to beat out guys like Fraser or Florek or Spooner for one of the 2-3 spots available.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Mark Divver:

"Bruins coach Claude Julien was also pitching Kevin Hayes to join the Bruins the other day, along with GM Peter Chiarelli, and even Charlie Jacobs."

Good job coach!

Sections
Shortcuts