Ryan Malone

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Ryan Malone

Yikes, not a good night for him.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/10771820/ryan-malone-tampa-bay-lightning-arrested-dui-cocaine-possession

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Ryan Malone

Get busted driving drunk?  Fine.  Happens to lots of people.

Coke?  Bad, bad news.

Disappointing news.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

Sad, his dad Jim was an nhl player and origiinally from here in NB

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Another pro athlete getting busted for being stoopid...is boring. Way to support your teammates with the playoffs starting next weekend.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to OrrandPapiRGods' comment:

I grew up just down the road from Ryan's grandparents. Ryan's FATHER Greg Malone actually gave me my fist concussion when he was taking shots on me while he was home visiting when he played for the Penquins. Jim Malone who was in drafted by the NYR's has a son Brad that plays for the Av's. Jim was also in the orginal Trival Pursuit game. He was the only player to be drafted in the 1st round & not play a single NHL game up to that point. Jim's last year with the Marlie's he injured his knee & never fully recovered. He was actually a better goal scorer than Greg was, but he also couldn't take the "heavy game". I know the family very well. I know the youngest sister the best we hung out a lot thru out our Jr High & High school years. Just a Super family all around. Very sad to hear that Ryan has done this. The family will be devasted. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

His father was Greg. Played with Penguins and Whalers.

This explains why the Pens let him go into free agency and bid him good riddance.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:

This explains why the Pens let him go into free agency and bid him good riddance.

I already said this. And he finished his career in Quebec.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

His father was Greg.Played with Penguins and Whalers.

Sorry, missed it.

His father was one honest hockey player with some skill. He must feel betrayed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

How dumb can one be?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

His father was Greg.Played with Penguins and Whalers.

Sorry, missed it.

His father was one honest hockey player with some skill. He must feel betrayed.

Not unless he's changed a lot, Greg's not like that. He'll support him & get him the help he needs.  But he was known more as a play maker.

Ryan's grandfather was known back home as "Wild Bill Malone" as a hockey player. I never got to see him, because I wasn't old enough, but the stories as to how he got the name were famous. Greg was always 1st class. Always called my dad when he was home as Greg's dad & my dad worked together and both were electricians. He'd ask my dad if he could work with me & try to give me some pointers on my skating. One year Jim was home from Jr, Greg from Pitts & Pat Daley who played 12 games I believe with the Jets & just came from the WJC in 78' that season. They all were taking shots at me & I'll never forget Pat kept saying how impressed he was with my quick feet. Skate save, after skate save he made me do. Greg was in the process of trying a new stick. And he was just taking little snap shots. I told him "Comon I'm not a girl! Shoot the puck Greg!"Well he gave me what I asked for. He meant to shoot it over the net, but just wanted to let me know that I wasn't quite ready for that. Well...lss. It didn't go over the net. I remember waking up with Greg crying...and just saying Sorry over & over again. They took me to the hospital & my summer workouts with the big boys was done for that year. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Just sad overall -- we are used to this stuff in most other major league sports but it always hits harder when it involves my #1 sport. All the best to Malone for his recovery and bounce back.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Of course it doesn't.  He was a cap casualty.  The Pens couldn't afford him at that time. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Of course it doesn't.  He was a cap casualty.  The Pens couldn't afford him at that time. 

That's what I thought as well NAS. Either way I hope he takes full advantage of the leagues substance abuse program & gets himself clean. I don't know Ryan, but knowing pretty much his whole family I can't help but have an extra pull for the guy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I feel bad for the family, but I don't care about the addict.  People make their own decisions in life.  I went to plenty of parties in college and in my 20s where people were doing coke.  I didn't do it.  You know why?  Coke is bad news. 

Unless the guy was held down and had the stuff poured up his nose, whatever.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I feel bad for the family, but I don't care about the addict.  People make their own decisions in life.  I went to plenty of parties in college and in my 20s where people were doing coke.  I didn't do it.  You know why?  Coke is bad news. 

I had an uncle who was a dealer. Died of hepatitis & a lot of cousins were into drugs. I've never taken any drug besides prescribed in my life. I never had my 1st beer until my grad night & that was with my old man. I had too many friends die from DUI's of both D & A. I honestly stayed sober thru highschool got a rep for doing so & always had a car to drive every weekend. Either my parents, or my buddies parents would give me their wheels as long as I stayed sober. Got to drive some nice cars, makeout with a lot of hot & sometimes drunk chicks. And remember every party I went to & nobody died under my watch. I still had a blast in highschool staying sober. College? That's where I learned to drink. No drugs. I still can't help but feel bad for the user too. I can't judge someone without walking in their shoes. Do they know right from wrong? Of course, but everyone makes bad choices. I don't condem them for that. I condem them when they continue to make the same bad choices over & over again. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

so, will he play in the playoffs? i bet he does... enough money and good lawyers can drag these things out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Get it all the time. People will try the sympathy card for and claim that they suffer from the disease of addiction. I always tell them they suffer from the disease of bad decision making.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:

so, will he play in the playoffs? i bet he does... enough money and good lawyers can drag these things out.

I doubt it. Tampa's probably not interested in the distractions he would cause, besides he's basically sucked for the past few seasons.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyhead22. Show hockeyhead22's posts

NAS,

You're compassion is underwhelming.

Most people do make thier own decisions, but growing up as an elite athlete, from an early age, every decision is made for you. When you wake up, where you go, what you eat, what you do, when you go to bed.

Then you sign, and you're on your own.

Money, drugs, fast cars (and little driving experiance). Too much sometimes.

Don't believe me?

Ask any agent!

For a guy with who calls himself "not-a-shot", you sure take a lot of cheap ones. 

If we love the game, I think we should be more caring of those who bring it to us.

Just sayin'

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to hockeyhead22's comment:

NAS,

You're compassion is underwhelming.

Most people do make thier own decisions, but growing up as an elite athlete, from an early age, every decision is made for you. When you wake up, where you go, what you eat, what you do, when you go to bed.

Then you sign, and you're on your own.

Money, drugs, fast cars (and little driving experiance). Too much sometimes.

Don't believe me?

Ask any agent!

For a guy with who calls himself "not-a-shot", you sure take a lot of cheap ones. 

If we love the game, I think we should be more caring of those who bring it to us.

Just sayin'

Yeah, as far as not making their own decisions, I dont think Malones agent on GM or Coach called him up and said "Hey Ryan, you should get plastered, drive erradically (endagering people) while in possesion of an illicit drug"

He made a choice, a really bad one.

Also, BECAUSE we love the game (along with millions of children who idolize these guys), maybe the athletes should show a little diginity, class, and common sense in their decision making by not getting hammered and driving in possesion of coke, just sayin.  No sympathy in the case whatsover.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I'm not going to be a brutal as NAS, but his line of thinking is closer to where I'm at than the whole, Oh, he has the addiction gene and you don't know what drove him to abuse drugs and blah blah blah. Yeah, some people have a mis-wired brain and they're more susceptible to becoming an abuser of alcohol or drugs or kicking kittens or whatever. But that doesn't absolve them from personal responosibility either. Malone made some bad choices of his own free will to the setriment of himself, his team and his family. It's a selfish act.  This is not a kid who made a mistake and then couldn't unhook. Dumbazz Malone gets next to no sympathy from me. I hope he gets straightened out. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

When I frist heard this my first words were " Idiot ! " I've always like Ryan Malone. It's just too bad.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I think we all can say that we all can call ourselves "idiots" at some point in our lives. We've all fawked up and made some bad decisions. I don't judge by one mistake. I judge when someone is given an opportunity to correct it and learn from it and doesn't. He was stupid and made a bad choice. I'll wait and see how he responds to the help he's going to get before I pass judgment. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

I think we all can say that we all can call ourselves "idiots" at some point in our lives. We've all fawked up and made some bad decisions. I don't judge by one mistake. I judge when someone is given an opportunity to correct it and learn from it and doesn't. He was stupid and made a bad choice. I'll wait and see how he responds to the help he's going to get before I pass judgment. 

I agree to an extent.

Sleeping in and showing up late for work is a mistake.  Leaving the house and forgetting your wallet is a mistake.

Driving dangerously under the influence of (at least) alcohol while in the possesion of cocaine is something id call more than a mistake. You cant trivialize putting peoples lives in danger.  He makes enough money, call a fawking cab or hire a fawking limo driver for the night.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

I agree to an extent.

Sleeping in and showing up late for work is a mistake.  Leaving the house and forgetting your wallet is a mistake.

Driving dangerously under the influence of (at least) alcohol while in the possesion of cocaine is something id call more than a mistake. You cant trivialize putting peoples lives in danger.  He makes enough money, call a fawking cab or hire a fawking limo driver for the night.

Congrats Davey. If those are the only "mistakes" u have ever made in your life? Ur probably one of the most perfect persons I ever associated with. You're amazing!

Sections
Shortcuts