ryan spooner

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Re: ryan spooner

why does spooner have to be top 6? teams are allowed to have talented third lines. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

That phrase "has to" really means that Spooner's development as an offensive centre requires that he gets the ice time and skilled linemates of a top six forward.  He could fill in for Kelly easily enough, but he might not continue to grow as a scorer.  Might.  There's also the third line role argument, which is sort of moot considering the shut down line is likely the Bergeron line on this team.  So the third line combo of grit and scoring Julien keeps talking about might have room for Spooner.  If he goes down, and if he lights it up in Providence, I could see the team giving serious thought to moving Kelly - even just down to the 4th line.

Are you not entertained?!?!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Krejci got his break as 3rd line center and worked out just fine.  On a Julien team it's a great place to be for a young scorer.  The only question is whether Spooner is ready and good enough to conribute more than Kelley.  I don't know that he is just yet.  Especially if Soderberg and Smith are the wings, it might be better to have a veteran presence on that line.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Krejci's 3rd line time was pretty limited.  I'd argue that that "worked out" as well as it did because injuries to Savard and Bergeron gave him the opportunity to play an offensive role, first with Sturm and Murray and then with Wheeler and Ryder.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Krejci's 3rd line time was pretty limited.  I'd argue that that "worked out" as well as it did because injuries to Savard and Bergeron gave him the opportunity to play an offensive role, first with Sturm and Murray and then with Wheeler and Ryder.

^^This^^

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

David Krejci played the entire 2008-2009 season as the third line center between Blake Wheeler and Michael Ryder.  He averaged the 3rd most ice time among B's Centers at 16:52.  He spent a lot of time killing penalties.  He posted career-best totals that year of 22+51=73.

David Krejci worked out as a third line player because a) he's an excellent player who took advantage of his opportunity b) the Bruins are deep so he could play with good players and c) Julien uses all lines evenly so everyone gets a shot, and uses Bergeron (and sometime the 1st line) to shut down opponents.  That means that being on the 3rd line with a decent scoring wing and limited defensive responsibility can be a great place for a young player to show their offensive skills.

No, I don't think injuries to Savard (played all 82gms, 19:32TOI) or Bergeron ( 64gp, 17:59TOI) were a major factor in DK having a great season as a 3rd line center.  It was a factor in him becoming a #1 in following years, but personally I would be perfectly happy if Spooner could get 16:52 TOI and put up 70 points in the 3rd slot.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

In response to OatesCam's comment:

[QUOTE]

David Krejci played the entire 2008-2009 season as the third line center between Blake Wheeler and Michael Ryder.  He averaged the 3rd most ice time among B's Centers at 16:52.  He spent a lot of time killing penalties.  He posted career-best totals that year of 22+51=73.

David Krejci worked out as a third line player because a) he's an excellent player who took advantage of his opportunity b) the Bruins are deep so he could play with good players and c) Julien uses all lines evenly so everyone gets a shot, and uses Bergeron (and sometime the 1st line) to shut down opponents.  That means that being on the 3rd line with a decent scoring wing and limited defensive responsibility can be a great place for a young player to show their offensive skills.

No, I don't think injuries to Savard (played all 82gms, 19:32TOI) or Bergeron ( 64gp, 17:59TOI) were a major factor in DK having a great season as a 3rd line center.  It was a factor in him becoming a #1 in following years, but personally I would be perfectly happy if Spooner could get 16:52 TOI and put up 70 points in the 3rd slot.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think the Bruins have any Ryder's (multiple 30 goal seasons prior to coming to Boston) or Wheeler's (late blooming top 5 pick) in their system. Soderberg, Smith, etc. will help form a solid line, but I don't see Spooner meeting those same numbers. Not even close.

If he could simply be a 15 minute, 40+ point guy as a 22 year old, I'd be thrilled with that. Heck, that was Marchand, and he was playing with an elite center!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The more I look at the lines, the more I can't really see any scenario where Spooner isn't sent to Providence.  That isn't a commentary on his play (I think he's looked very good), but Smith and Soderberg appear to be pretty much set on the 3rd line and the numbers game among the other forwards doesn't favor Spooner.  His ELC works against him here.  I look forward to him being the #1 center in Providence and ready for call ups pending injuries.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Krejci's "break" was the year before.  He played 56 games and was a key factor for them after Bergeron was concussed at the 10 game mark, and Savard missed 8 games with an injury at the end of the season and with the Bruins touch and go to make the playoffs for the first time under Julien.  Krejci had 9 points in the last 7 games of the year to push the Bruins over the top. He was a minus player in only one of those games.  It was widely considered his coming out party.

The next season, he was the second line C regardless of what the ice time totals say.  Bergeron was coming off of his concussion and had yet to regain any offensive game.  He was deployed as a shut-down player and was dismayed enough by the lack of offensive opportunity that it was a topic of discussion when he renewed his deal - he didn't want to get pigeon-holed on a team where Savard and Krejci were ahead of him in terms of offensive opportunity.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I suppose Kampfer's 25 game stretch in 2011 was his coming out party?

It's just too small of a sample size there, and was a hot streak seen many times before, otherwise known as "flashes in the pan". He didn't do much throughout that year in 07-08 that made anyone think he was a long term solution.

Him putting up 73 points was certainly an indicator that he was for real.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Kampfer's weaknesses were glaring immediatly. Hunwick was never the same after the his spleen injury.

Krejci's blooming at the end of the 2007-08 season was starting to take shape the year before in Providence. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Krejci's "break" was the year before.  He played 56 games and was a key factor for them after Bergeron was concussed at the 10 game mark, and Savard missed 8 games with an injury at the end of the season and with the Bruins touch and go to make the playoffs for the first time under Julien.  Krejci had 9 points in the last 7 games of the year to push the Bruins over the top. He was a minus player in only one of those games.  It was widely considered his coming out party.

The next season, he was the second line C regardless of what the ice time totals say.  Bergeron was coming off of his concussion and had yet to regain any offensive game.  He was deployed as a shut-down player and was dismayed enough by the lack of offensive opportunity that it was a topic of discussion when he renewed his deal - he didn't want to get pigeon-holed on a team where Savard and Krejci were ahead of him in terms of offensive opportunity.

The year before DK played even less, less than 15 minutes a game, and again he was in a third line role playing behind Savard and Metropolit.   Yes he was used in more offensive situations than a typical 3rd line center, but that is exactly my piont.  In Claude's system Spooner playing 3rd line would be a fanatastic opportunity for him to show what he can do.  It's mostly a question of whether he is good enough to take advantage like DK was.  Right now I'm not totally sold on him being ready, though I would love to watch.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:

In response to OatesCam's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think the Bruins have any Ryder's (multiple 30 goal seasons prior to coming to Boston) or Wheeler's (late blooming top 5 pick) in their system. Soderberg, Smith, etc. will help form a solid line, but I don't see Spooner meeting those same numbers. Not even close.

If he could simply be a 15 minute, 40+ point guy as a 22 year old, I'd be thrilled with that. Heck, that was Marchand, and he was playing with an elite center!

[/QUOTE]

I don't think Spooner is Krejci, at least not yet.  My point was simply that the third line is a good opportunity for Spooner if he's good enough to earn it; that it wouldn't hurt his development any.  I would be very happy if Spooner made the team and put up 40 points.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

And that, again, comes back to the third line on this team.  In his junior years, Spooner's goals:assists was pretty even.  It's been more like 1:3 in Providence, and I think that has something to do with being able to get to the scoring areas with the puck.  If he doesn't have linemates who can finish, he'll need to do more himself to get that 40 points.

Don't know why you're saying he played behind Metropolit.  Overall ice time may have favoured Metropolit, but that's because he's the one who took on Bergeron's defensive responsibilities.  Krejci was the one getting over 2 min / game on the PP.

GwtT, 25 games isn't 56.  And getting into 25 games isn't the same as filling in as the #1 at your position and excelling under threat of losing a playoff berth.  Yes, Krejci proved he was for real the next year with his 73 points (still not a #3C), but if we're talking about a guy using the #3C spot to break in, I wouldn't say that there's a comparison between the Spooner situation and Krejci's.  Injuries would have to provide him the opportunity.  3rd line C isn't likely to do that. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Simple solution:

Trade Krejci, Subban, Hamilton and Koko for draft picks.  Lots of them.

Bergeron to first line center

Spooner to second line center

Everything else remains the same.

(Is this the first "trade Krejci reference of the season?)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Wrong thread.  "How can the Bruins become more like the Panthers" is over there --->

(Yes.  Yes it is.)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Umm I think Spooner just made the Bruins!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Umm I think Spooner just made the Bruins!

He looked good tonight.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

He looked like an NHLer tonight. It would be nice if they could move Kelly and his contract.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I like his game. Keep him on the varsity.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Great gif btw.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

What a trurnaround, I mean Ryan wasn't playing bad but Smith and Johnson were playing better. Spooner was everywhere! I can't say Providence would do him any good. What a game!

Kelly fans are freaking on HFBoard out right now LoL

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

cool. How'd you do that, Sandog?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

Nice goal Louie, BTW.

Sections
Shortcuts