Ryan to Buffalo?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Ryan to Buffalo?

Latest gossip on Ryan has the Sabres interested:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/07/26/hockey_hearsay/

If Buffalo does get Ryan and the Habs Doan (two big ifs) then the division will become that much tougher.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Re: Ryan to Buffalo?

Don't let these two prospects bother you, jmw. The games must still be played on the ice, not on paper.

On paper, the Canucks won the 2011 Stanley Cup. Now they are using it for you-know-what. The paper that is.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Didn't you hear, the B's (with Colin Campbell as an ally) stole the cup in 2011.....lol. Amazingly, there are some people that actually still think that.

That said, Doan will definitely help the Habs, no question. And, if Ryan does go to Buffalo then there is no question they will be better.

Yes, paper rosters don't mean much but neither does underestimating opponents. Remember all the bluster and chestbeating by some on these boards about how the B's were going to crush the Caps last playoffs? I do.

Not saying you are wrong though but I am naturally a cautious man......

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Being "naturally cautious" would mean taking a wait and see approach before declaring either the Shabs or Sobbers better because they acquire one guy.  Remember how much ink was shed on how much better the Sobbers would be with all the money they threw around last year?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Ryan to Buffalo?:
    Being "naturally cautious" would mean taking a wait and see approach before declaring either the Shabs or Sobbers better because they acquire one guy.  Remember how much ink was shed on how much better the Sobbers would be with all the money they threw around last year?
    Posted by Bookboy007

Or acknowledging that the addition of a top-line player normally helps a team rather than immediately assuming that it will automatically backfire for the purchaser.

I am not declaring anything definitive, just musing that the addition of two first line forwards to adversaries in the same division may make them a tougher opponent. Nothing controversial in that statement.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The Sabers bringing in Ryan doesn't worry me. They will have to give something up to get him.  Even the Rangers, who everyone say stole Nash, gave up more points-per-minute and total points in that trade, making them effectively a worse team despite the star value of Nash. The Flyers getting Weber for picks... that had me worried. Ryan to the Sabers...not so much.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

The Sabers bringing in Ryan doesn't worry me. They will have to give something up to get him.  Even the Rangers, who everyone say stole Nash, gave up more points-per-minute and total points in that trade, making them effectively a worse team despite the star value of Nash. The Flyers getting Weber for picks... that had me worried. Ryan to the Sabers...not so much.
    Posted by OatesCam

Maybe....depends on what they would have to give up if the deal is made. 30 extra goals for a team like Buffalo can buy a few more wins which does, in effect, make them a better team, however.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

The strangest part of that article has to be Darren McCarty having a restraining order against friends who threatened him because he didn't want to party.  What the fahck??

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

With or without Ryan the Sabres will find a way to underachieve, yet still come in second in the division.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

The strangest part of that article has to be Darren McCarty having a restraining order against friends who threatened him because he didn't want to party.  What the fahck??
    Posted by goodnewsbears

That's been pending for some time....heh. Strange is right. Poor guy, he just wants to remain clean. Not sure if he can actually call those people friends, enablers maybe.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

It doesn't work like that. You don't just add 30 goals. The Ducks want something good. The article mentioned Enis. So you take away a guy who scored at a 25 goal pace and add a 30 goal guy. Then you have to factor Ryan's not getting passes from Getzlaf anymore and maybe doesn't score 30. And the sabers miss Enis's playmaking and score less. And Ryan comes in and takes some of Stafford's or Pominville's icetime and they score less. Hodgson gets more playing time and maybe scores more. Who knows, there are a lot of factors, but it's not like you just add 40 goals.

In Response to Re: Ryan to Buffalo? : Maybe....depends on what they would have to give up if the deal is made. 30 extra goals for a team like Buffalo can buy a few more wins which does, in effect, make them a better team, however.
    Posted by jmwalters

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

It doesn't work like that. You don't just add 30 goals. The Ducks want something good. The article mentioned Enis. So you take away a guy who scored at a 25 goal pace and add a 30 goal guy. Then you have to factor Ryan's not getting passes from Getzlaf anymore and maybe doesn't score 30. And the sabers miss Enis's playmaking and score less. And Ryan comes in and takes some of Stafford's or Pominville's icetime and they score less. Hodgson gets more playing time and maybe scores more. Who knows, there are a lot of factors, but it's not like you just add 40 goals. In Response to Re: Ryan to Buffalo? :
    Posted by OatesCam

Again, it depends what Buffalo gives up. This is, of course, all speculation on our parts, especially the icetime suggestion you make. Let's say, for example, the Sabres send Gerbe, Luke Adam, Corey Tropp, D man Brayden McNabb, and their 1st rounder. The Ducks get a top 6 left wing back (Gerbe) three up an coming prospects who are NHL-ready, and a good pick. If they are re-building, which I think they are, this is a good deal. Plus GM Murray gets more cap room to re-sign for 2013-14 Perry and Getzlaf who will not be cheap. Or they can obtain Ennis (15 goals), one or two of the up and comers, and the pick. There are many possibilities.

Buffalo, who are playing for the now, gets their top-end big bodied goalscorer (something Ennis or Gerbe are not nor will ever be) and Anaheim gets young, controllable players who can address some of their depth issues. Both win. If/when Ryan gets a handfull of game winning goals that translates to wins. More wins is more points in the standings. Hence, they will be better.

Suggesting other players on the team will be less productive with the addition of Ryan is an interesting argument. He may eat into their icetime but will also command the attention of the opposing teams shutdown D (like he does in Ana) which will give other players more open ice and less quality competition. So this can be seen as a wash.

However, until anything happens this is all speculation.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Don't let these two prospects bother you, jmw. The games must still be played on the ice, not on paper. On paper, the Canucks won the 2011 Stanley Cup. Now they are using it for you-know-what. The paper that is.
    Posted by Wheatskins

True, but Buffalo strikes me as a team thats a Bobby Ryan away from being dangerous.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Remember how much ink was shed on how much better the Sobbers would be with all the money they threw around last year ? Posted by Bookboy007

Yep then they ended up being dairy queen soft ice cream lol

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Im still holding out hope Ryan comes to Boston. He would be a great addition. Id give up a couple first rounders and a prospect for him. The B's will have late first round picks for the next few years anyway.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Im still holding out hope Ryan comes to Boston. He would be a great addition. Id give up a couple first rounders and a prospect for him. The B's will have late first round picks for the next few years anyway.
    Posted by bgrif008

Right. However it's not just about what the Bruins want to give for him, the other side (Ducks) want a second line type center who would most likely end up being Krejci, plus prospects. They wouldn't trade Ryan for picks because they are trying to compete now. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Ryan to Buffalo? : Right. However it's not just about what the Bruins want to give for him, the other side (Ducks) want a second line type center who would most likely end up being Krejci, plus prospects. They wouldn't trade Ryan for picks because they are trying to compete now. 
    Posted by Bisson1

DK for Bobby Ryan is a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. The B's are loaded with center's. Put Seguin in his natural position & let him feed Ryan. Putting Ryan with a Vanek & Hodgson will be a hellva lot more dangerous than a Stafford, Roy & Vanek. Ryan is a beast & depending on what Reigher gives up; if he gets him. That's when I'll decide to be po'd at PC or not. I wanted Nash, but I'll take Ryan over him anyday of the week, because of his salary. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

Posted by OatesCam

i'll take a 40-goal scorer over two 20-goal scorers anyday....  ditto for Ryan....

these guys were high first-rounders for a reason....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from number08. Show number08's posts

Ryan can't go there, that would take ice time away from John Scott...who has to play the entire game to protect his goaltender -franchise is currently a joke.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Ryan to Buffalo? : DK for Bobby Ryan is a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. The B's are loaded with center's. Put Seguin in his natural position & let him feed Ryan. 
    Posted by nitemare-38

My thoughts exactly.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Ryan to Buffalo?:
    Latest gossip on Ryan has the Sabres interested: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/07/26/hockey_hearsay/ If Buffalo does get Ryan and the Habs Doan (two big ifs) then the division will become that much tougher.
    Posted by jmwalters

AND Semin to Carolina.

The Bruins are sliding down the East standings like they are greased up.

Hey Pete! PETE!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In Response to Re: Ryan to Buffalo? : i'll take a 40-goal scorer over two 20-goal scorers anyday....  ditto for Ryan....   these guys were high first-rounders for a reason....  
    Posted by days-of-Orr

You should've stopped writing when this thought entered your head.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In Response to Re: Ryan to Buffalo? : You should've stopped writing when this thought entered your head.
    Posted by goodnewsbears

why, is it too hard for you to grasp?....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Ryan to Buffalo? : why, is it too hard for you to grasp?....
    Posted by days-of-Orr

Lars Jonsson, Jon Aitken, Zach Hamill...

Sections
Shortcuts