Ryder -4

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Ryder -4

And he's on the Checking Line. 

Discuss:

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Re: Ryder -4

Have to admit that i've been down on Ryder at times this season. But... he has scored a decent amount and has shown an occasional spark.

Before offering any in depth judgment, i'd like to see him play 5-6 games with these new guys.  It looks like they have much more talent next to Ryder than he has been playing with(Wheeler).  Last night they looked pretty sharp out there.  After a few games of feeling each other out, i believe Ryder-Pev-Kelly could be a much better 3rd line than we've had for quite some time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

once again, you are correct. they should put marchand on the checking line. i'm tired of seeing the bergeron line score every game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I still think it's comical NotSoBad thinks Ryder should be on a checking line at 4 million dollars.

Marchand would score on any line, including Kreicji's.  But, let's pretend Marchand has to have Bergeron and Recchi. lol

Once again, you clearly have it together as Jacobs's wet dream.

Most hockey fans would see Ryder's -4 as a negative, but not you.  Of course not.

The team is loaded and cannot lose the Cup this year.

I started the thread to see what people think of this.  Nothing more.  Apparently, everyone is good with him on an apparent Cup contending team checking the other team's top lines.

Okie dokie.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Some useful information:

I just went through it, and about half of the time Iginla was on the ice, Ryder was.  The other half, it was Campbell.  So yes, Julien was using it as one of two checking lines.

I can understand wanting to have guys that are paid to score on lines that are expected to score, but right now there just isn't room.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: Ryder -4:
    [QUOTE]Marchand was a 4th liner looking like a 10-15 goal scorer, he hops up with Bergeron  and turns into a 20-30 goal scorer, but i'm sure thats just a coincidence.
    Posted by pbergeron37[/QUOTE]

Nah. I'd say him being good, playing hard and playing more games has a lot to do with it even though Bergeron has done a nice job feeding him.

Marchand would score on any line. This is the point.

And Ryder on the 3rd line is not going to work in the postseason.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Where else would you put him?  Of course he should be in the 3rd line.

Do you really think lines combinations should be determined by salaries instead of play?

Please, dial it back BBR.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

"And Ryder on the 3rd line is not going to work in the postseason."

OK, I'll bite. Why not?
    Because Marchand should be there? Because Peverley and Kelly need someone else? Because Ryder isn't good enough defensively?

Not being wise, I really am being sincere as to why you think he wouldn't work there? Does he belong on the 4th line? Has he earned a ticket to play with Bergeron or Krejci?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homebrew76. Show Homebrew76's posts

When Ryder skates hard, he generates chances and is a pain for the other team.   When he doesn't skate hard he isn't a threat offensively.   Defensively he does well in transition on the backcheck, but once the opposition is set up on the B's end I don't really see Ryder as being a player that is able to get the puck back very much.

Salary shouldn't figure into it.  Performance should.   Ryder deserves to sit after games where he doesn't skate hard, and he deserves extra credit when he has games like against Montreal the other week.   The 3rd like and PP is the only role that fits for him...... 2nd line if he's having an espeically good game but those aren't all that often.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Actually, Ryder has the skills to score and help, but his compete level goes south regularly. If someone would take him I'd love to see him gone before Monday. The other two problems are Thornton and Recchi. They both are locked in on their lines,BUT Thornton always tries hard and doesn't have the skills to help, I'd rather see Paille; then Rex has deteriorated so much this year that both Bergeron and Marchand are playing double duty just to cover for REX. Rex has lost puck handling and passing capabilities to go with his lack of speed. It's painful to watch a once outstanding player continue to lose it so much and to contribute so little in a hockey sense. Everyone from Chiarelli on down is covering for him when the more positive action would be to move him to the 4th line, with less ice time and more rest for the PP time. When Claude puts him out on the PK it is a crying shame.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

Ryder is awful, and id rather see Paille in there over him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

BB....really? go back to your BB worship, and leave bruins fans be.  even IF this team wins a cup, i'm sure you'll be critical of "how long" it took them. if you cannot see ANYTHING positive, be miserable on some other site...its getting old here. According to your theory clode should tell marchand to STOP scoring goals...he's not getting paid enough! duh 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

The checking line is Berg's line, he always plays majority of time against other top line as he did against Iginla last night.

3rd line is just a line, that gets paid less,usually, and hopefully scores more than has scored against. Ryder is the scorer on this line, the other 2 are centers that setup more than score.  Kelly in this instance is more like a 4th liner.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]"And Ryder on the 3rd line is not going to work in the postseason." OK, I'll bite. Why not? Because Marchand should be there? Because Peverley and Kelly need someone else? Because Ryder isn't good enough defensively? Not being wise, I really am being sincere as to why you think he wouldn't work there? Does he belong on the 4th line? Has he earned a ticket to play with Bergeron or Krejci?
    Posted by seobrien[/QUOTE]

He's not a checker. He's not physical, doesn't skate consistently enough and he's here to generate goals from the wing on a scoring line.

I am confused as to why this is confusing.

I think he's at worst on the second line.  Maybe it's a Claude coaching tactic to get more out of him when he moves him back up.   We'll see.  I just think you need a rock solid 3rd line that reflects what it should and perferably a 4th line that rivals the opponents' 3rd line.

At some point, he has to be on one of the two scoring lines, in my opinion.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

He is 6th in scoring, 7th in playing time until Wheeler departed, now he is 8th. He is 6th in PP time, but that time will be reduced with another D(kaberle) on the PP and Berg and Rec moving off the point.

He is a 3rd line player, paid like a 2nd, that will find it harder and harder to put up points, with reduced time unless a good chemistry develops with his new mates.  He is a decent skater, above average shot and will be a help in playoffs, if he can continue his scoring production.

I believe chemistry can be there with Peverley, I just hope that Kelly improves his career numbers to help.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

BB, do you remember the 3rd line two years ago when the Bruins finished #1 in the conference and led the league in scoring?

Wheeler-Krejci-Ryder.  None of them are checkers.

The point is that there is no rule that the 3rd line must be a checking line.  Bergeron's line usually matches up with the opposing scoring line.  The idea is to have three lines that can score and then also have one or two of those lines match up well defensively.

The 3rd line is absolutely the best place for Ryder. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Time on ice against Iggy.
    Tougher than you think, his shifts are far longer than the B's 30-45, even had a 2minutes shift in which he faced 3 centers twice on that shift.  Calgary had last change as well and they were able to keep him away from Bergy more than if in Boston.

I did it by centers.
    Iginla 21 shifts 19:35.

Krej 16 shifts 8:08 minutes
    Berg 15 shifts 6:49.
    Kelly 12 shifts 3:52.
    Camp 6 shifts 1:45
    49 shifts for 20:34.

Obviously at points we had 2 centers on when Ig was on prob when Cal on PP and overlap on shifts, but it still looked like we double shifted for him.

The socalled 3rd line checkers, played less time against the top player and that is what we will see every game, so they are not checkers.

We just need them to be better+, than their opposition every night.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]BB, do you remember the 3rd line two years ago when the Bruins finished #1 in the conference and led the league in scoring? Wheeler-Krejci-Ryder.  None of them are checkers. The point is that there is no rule that the 3rd line must be a checking line.  Bergeron's line usually matches up with the opposing scoring line.  The idea is to have three lines that can score and then also have one or two of those lines match up well defensively. The 3rd line is absolutely the best place for Ryder. 
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Fair point, I just think it needs to be more like what they have no in order to make it better. 

Their PP and goaltending was so good 2 years ago with a healthy Savard and TT, I am not sure the 3rd line was really a focus.

I just can't see Ryder being effective against a Philly, maybe a TB or even a Pitt as a checker. 

As long as they win games with it, great. I just don't trust it over the long haul which then will lead to Julien shifting people around again.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]BB, do you remember the 3rd line two years ago when the Bruins finished #1 in the conference and led the league in scoring? Wheeler-Krejci-Ryder.  None of them are checkers. The point is that there is no rule that the 3rd line must be a checking line.  Bergeron's line usually matches up with the opposing scoring line.  The idea is to have three lines that can score and then also have one or two of those lines match up well defensively. The 3rd line is absolutely the best place for Ryder. 

You are right about this Fletch but this year, with the addition of Kelly and Peverly, our third line is now constructed as a traditional checking unit, as it should be. Since Ryder is not a checker he is miscast on this line. I think that is what the other poster is trying to say and there is merit to this point.

Yes, the last few years the B's have not had a typical third line, using Krejci and Wheeler but the fact remainsthat  it has a different dynamic now. The problem now becomes where to put Ryder for maximum utility.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

[QUOTE]Actually, Ryder has the skills to score and help, but his compete level g

oes south regularly. If someone would take him I'd love to see him gone before Monday. The other two problems are Thornton and Recchi. They both are locked in on their lines,BUT Thornton always tries hard and doesn't have the skills to help, I'd rather see Paille; then Rex has deteriorated so much this year that both Bergeron and Marchand are playing double duty just to cover for REX. Rex has lost puck handling and passing capabilities to go with his lack of speed. It's painful to watch a once outstanding player continue to lose it so much and to contribute so little in a hockey sense. Everyone from Chiarelli on down is covering for him when the more positive action would be to move him to the 4th line, with less ice time and more rest for the PP time. When Claude puts him out on the PK it is a crying shame.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

Bogie, Recchi has 11 goals 31 assists and is ranked 4th in Team scoring.

IF anything, he deserves a break before the playoffs begin so he could be fresh
    when we really need him.

Take a valium!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

[QUOTE]it seems to me that the bruins have 3 lines that the bruins are comfortable playing in all situations, and the fourth line thats not going to get too many shifts when they absolutely need a goal. Might as well call the Kelly line the first line, it really doesn't matter too much. no4, Ryder leads the team in PP goals, his PP time wont be diminished
    Posted by pbergeron37[/QUOTE]

Already was even before trades, he was getting tail end of PP's, where March and Camp got time as well, when Recc was manning the play.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ryder -4 : You are right about this Fletch but this year, with the addition of Kelly and Peverly, our third line is now constructed as a traditional checking unit, as it should be. Since Ryder is not a checker he is miscast on this line. I think that is what the other poster is trying to say and there is merit to this point. Yes, the last few years the B's have not had a typical third line, using Krejci and Wheeler but the fact remainsthat  it has a different dynamic now. The problem now becomes where to put Ryder for maximum utility.
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

But Peverly is not a checking line type.  He's played almost exclusively on Atlanta's top two scoring lines for the past two years.  He's a speed and skill guy who shoots a lot.  And we all agree Ryder isn't a traditional checking line type, so Kelly is the only one who makes it a checking line, and he has plenty of experience playing up on the top two scoring lines as well.

I have no idea why we think it is suddenly a checking line any more than it is a scoring line, other than Kelly I guess.

I think that PC has made three lines that can score and given two of them excellent defensive centers (Bergeron, Kelly) so they can play defensively as needed. 

There is no traditional checking line, nor should there be.  Thornton and Campbell can go out and bang on the 4th line.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ryder -4 : But Peverly is not a checking line type.  He's played almost exclusively on Atlanta's top two scoring lines for the past two years.  He's a speed and skill guy who shoots a lot.  And we all agree Ryder isn't a traditional checking line type, so Kelly is the only one who makes it a checking line, and he has plenty of experience playing up on the top two scoring lines as well. I have no idea why we think it is suddenly a checking line any more than it is a scoring line, other than Kelly I guess. I think that PC has made three lines that can score and given two of them excellent defensive centers (Bergeron, Kelly) so they can play defensively as needed.  There is no traditional checking line, nor should there be.  Thornton and Campbell can go out and bang on the 4th line.

You are right that Peverly was put on a scoring line in Atlanta but he cut his teeth in the NHL as a checker in Nashville. He is very comfortable in a third-line role or as a points guy which makes him a very flexible player. I am glad the B's picked him up.

Sections
Shortcuts