Ryder to Montreal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Ryder to Montreal

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Mad Mike says the Shabs got Ryder for his powerplay production LoL

Kieth Jones says Dallas got the better of the deal becuase Cole will do more riding with Benn and Jagr...

I'm going with Kelv's theory. Ryder and his agent informed Nieuwendyk they were going to market with 35 goals as Ryders calling card. Can't blame him or Joe...

Agree with this. That is going to be a damn good line.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to jmwalters's comment:

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Mad Mike says the Shabs got Ryder for his powerplay production LoL

Kieth Jones says Dallas got the better of the deal becuase Cole will do more riding with Benn and Jagr...

I'm going with Kelv's theory. Ryder and his agent informed Nieuwendyk they were going to market with 35 goals as Ryders calling card. Can't blame him or Joe...

Agree with this. That is going to be a damn good line.....

Thats three left handed shots on the same line, even though Jagr perfers the RW.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

So...I guess there is no harm throwing around possible trade scenarios after all, since anything can happen.

Some here were adamant that the very thought of Dallas getting rid of Ryder was unlikely since they were still in the playoff hunt. Others said they would demand too much for such a proven, consistent goal scorer.

Well, while he wasn't considered an untouchable by any means, this move proves that teams are willing to talk if the deal suits both teams.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Davinator's comment:

So...I guess there is no harm throwing around possible trade scenarios after all, since anything can happen.

Some here were adamant that the very thought of Dallas getting rid of Ryder was unlikely since they were still in the playoff hunt. Others said they would demand too much for such a proven, consistent goal scorer.

Well, while he wasn't considered an untouchable by any means, this move proves that teams are willing to talk if the deal suits both teams.

but keep in mind what they got back. they traded a guy who scored 35 goals last year for a guy who scored 35 goals last year who is under contract for a while. they probably wouldn't have traded him for draft picks though. certainly not a 2nd rounder

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

thats three left handed shots on the same line, even though Jagr perfers the RW.

If anyone could make it work, its Jagr....:)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

three guys that all shoot the same way isn't that rare. wheeler krejci ryder was very effective for boston for a season. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

also, crosby, kunitz, and dupuis worked okay. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Davinator's comment:

You are absolutely correct, but the difference is that no one wants to trade suggest trading last year's  #2 point guy and #1 goal scorer.  They want to send Caron and a third round pick.

(And for some people's purposes, it's important that I point out that no one may have suggested that exact trade.  It was used as an example of the give nothing/get something good deals that are floated often here.)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

If Boston is indeed the team to beat in the East, then this is not a good trade for Montreal. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Interesting. I would have kept Cole over Ryder but that is just me....

I think cole is the overall better player but he comes with an expired warranty.  He is hurt often.  When playing hes good and a top 6 fwd.  ryder on the other hand is durable and a pure scorer.  He is also used to being in montreal.  Throw a decent pick and getting rid of a big contract and i think montreal wins this deal.  They can either attempt to resign ryder or some othet target in a deep ufa pool.  They will make huge play for getz or perry if they make it to ufa status.  great deal for the habs in my eyes.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

The Stars were set to see Ryder go UFA. They had seen enough of him to know they didn't want to dish out more dough for him or be able to re-sign him at money they wanted. If they let Ryder go to UFA they get nothing.

Cole was available now and they made the deal. Sometimes when players are available a GM has to react rather then ponder or that player might be gone. 

I look at is as Cole for a 3rd rounder plus losing Ryder's services for the rest of the year. Nice trade for the Stars.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Good pts chowda.  

I just checked and cole played two full seasons as well.  Always liked cole.  great speed.  

for montreal stand pt they rid themselves of gomez and cole.  They will make a huge run at one of the big fwds.  They have pk under contract on the cheap side.  so they add the offence they lose by cole.  they add a mid 3rd pick. They then replace cole with the likes of a perry or getz.  Montreal is gearing up for a big off season. 

Cheers

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Bit of an odd trade from a pure hockey standpoint, frankly.  Ryder has a career year last year, and he's on a slower pace this year.  Cole had a career year in goals and is on a slow pace this year.  Neither guy with a long term future with their now-past club.  Sounds like one of those "change of scenery" moves with risk on both sides.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Hasn't been mentioned yet, but Ryder coming back to haunt us?  I think they know the key to him is to make sure he gets hit once doesn't even have to be a hard hitl and then he loses interest in the game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Bit of an odd trade from a pure hockey standpoint, frankly.  Ryder has a career year last year, and he's on a slower pace this year.  Cole had a career year in goals and is on a slow pace this year.  Neither guy with a long term future with their now-past club.  Sounds like one of those "change of scenery" moves with risk on both sides.

Not at seasons end.  Ryder ufa.  Montreal with nearly 13 million in cap.  A buyout of kaberle not out of the question and thats nearly 17 million in cap space.  

Cole on the other hand hinted at retirement during lockout and is set to be paid another 4.5 for 2 more years.  

Habs also land decent pick.  

Habs will replace ryder-cole with better talent in the summer. 

I think win for habs.  

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Great points on the off-season. Shedding Cole's contract allows MTL to have some cash when all those great forwards hit the market. Ryder would likely be the odd man out.

Still have my eyes on Morrow for some depth, and this doesn't help the Bruins in that regard.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

Great points on the off-season. Shedding Cole's contract allows MTL to have some cash when all those great forwards hit the market. Ryder would likely be the odd man out.

Still have my eyes on Morrow for some depth, and this doesn't help the Bruins in that regard.

Morrow would be great. Another binky of mine is Matt Cullen from the Wild. He is also a UFA ( no NAS, there is no inkling that the Wild want to deal him ) and would fit in as one those C/LW penalty killing hybrids that PC likes to acquire.

I've learned though that who I like and who they get are two totally different things. It never happens. 

Well almost never. I jumped through the roof when they signed Chara. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Morrow would be great. Another binky of mine is Matt Cullen from the Wild. He is also a UFA ( no NAS, there is no inkling that the Wild want to deal him )

At least he has an expiring contract.  Most of the guys that get listed here for trade targets are signed, sealed, and happy where they are!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

honestly i like this deal for dallas. cole scored 35 goals last year and brings a lot more to the table when he isn't scoring than ryder does when he isn't scoring.

Bingo!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Better for the Bruins. Cole has always played tough, and caused disruption for the Bruins forwards. As noted above, one solid check and Ryder covers up. Unfortunately Bourque hasn't shown any checking capability in spite of the recent kudos from Fluto and Harris who are mesmerized by his skating.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

In response to bogie6's comment:

Better for the Bruins. Cole has always played tough, and caused disruption for the Bruins forwards. As noted above, one solid check and Ryder covers up. Unfortunately Bourque hasn't shown any checking capability in spite of the recent kudos from Fluto and Harris who are mesmerized by his skating.

Are they mesmerized by the fact that he does a lot of skating from his knees?

In all seriousness though, the 3rd line had one fantastic shift in that Islanders game. Otherwise... yea...

Sections
Shortcuts