Ryders.25 -.75 a year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Ryders.25 -.75 a year

Does anyone else think that PC should have just coughed up the extra dough for 2 more years of Ryder?

Now hear me out before last years playoffs I would have never thought that resigning this guy was important but right now we sure could use him. Sure alot of you are going to say "pouliot is good enough" but this team didn't win the cup last year based on "good enogh". The 13th forwards last year were Paille and Seguin thats a sizeable step above Caron/Hamill. Ryder does a real good job staying healthy and can easily sub in as a 1st 2nd or 3rd line winger and contribute at his usual 20g pace while playing a pretty consistent all around game. He was also on fire for dallas for a while to start the season.

He is much better than Pouliout as the 3rd line winger in a play off push. Just look around at all the threads and media stories about the bruins looking for depth forwards.

Maybe PC should of coughed up that .25-.75 a year extra that Ryder was looking for. Perhaps this is one of PC's rare mistakes?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Re: Ryders.25 -.75 a year

The Bruins had/have too many players going into their primes, or getting close, that he was worried about signing down the stretch than Ryder, who was great for us in the playoffs, but was a bit too expensive. 

This year he signed Peverly, Marchand, and Krejci to extensions, and this off season he has to try and sign Lucic, Rask, and maybe Boychuck down the road. Also Seguin will require quite a bit of money when his entry contract expires.

He would be great to have for one year, but he could get multi-year contracts elsewhere.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: Ryders.25 -.75 a year:
    The Bruins had/have too many players going into their primes, or getting close, that he was worried about signing down the stretch than Ryder, who was great for us in the playoffs, but was a bit too expensive.  This year he signed Peverly, Marchand, and Krejci to extensions, and this off season he has to try and sign Lucic, Rask, and maybe Boychuck down the road. Also Seguin will require quite a bit of money when his entry contract expires. He would be great to have for one year, but he could get multi-year contracts elsewhere.
    Posted by Bisson1

The players worth resigning who'se contracts end at the same time as Ryder's

Boychuck
    Kelly
    Campbell
    Paille
    Thornton

With the amount of capspace this team currently has you're telling me that the small amount that PC and Ryder were off by was too much to accomdate his salary? His 2 year deal really wouldnt have screwed up anything.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

One thing i'll say about Ryder, he doesn't fall down as much as Pouliot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I would have liked to have him back. He's supposedly a good locker room guy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

Biggest puck hog in the NHL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

How much do you think PC and CJ were thinking that Hamill, Caron, or Pouliot would move up to fill the Ryder void and save salary ?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

One thing i'll say about Ryder, he doesn't fall down as much as Pouliot.
    Posted by 50belowzero

I've personally been really impressed with Pouliot, He's gotten really strong on the puck and has some really high level skills. I think he's going to break out next year. Hopefully, it will be with the bruins.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

How much do you think PC and CJ were thinking that Hamill, Caron, or Pouliot would move up to fill the Ryder void and save salary ?
    Posted by Stuke50

Exactly...though I don't know that I'd say "fill the Ryder void and save salary".  I think even Claude was getting to the end of his rope with Ryder - he started benching him last spring.  I think they were willing to bring Ryder back, but not at what Dallas offered or anything close.  I think they signed Pouliot as a contingency plan on the off chace that none of the prospects showed much in camp - and they didn't - but I think they also realized they had nowhere for their young players to go if they re-signed Ryder.  So they took a bit of a gamble letting him walk with the idea that if no one stepped up to fill that spot capably, they'd look for soemone on the trade market.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

No, Ryder earned his money in the playoffs, kudos for all Bs fans, YET, he was a floater beyond all belief!  Glyder as SanDog called him perfectly.  Another nice guy, how many does a tam need?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Without him, they're second in the conference.

I'm okay with that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Glyder as SanDog called him perfectly.  Another nice guy, how many does a tam need? Posted by islamorada

Michael picked the right time not to glyde and it earned him a contract where a fanbase that don't mind 10 game pointless streaks. Looks like Ryder has found a home in Dallas, good for him and Ribeiro the diving whirling dervish.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

"pretty consistent all around game."(ryder)

not sure anybody here would agree with that. Just Cowboy offseason entertainment now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I'm sure if they want they could get him in a trade right now. They let him go to give young guys a chance and save money. I wouldn't mind him on the team for the playoffs. But keep in mind he wouldn't be on pace for 28 goals with the Bruins. He wouldn't crack the top 6, and would be lower on the depth chart than Peverley.  Ryder's departure made room for an expanded role for guys like Seguin and Marchand on the pp.  You don't just sub him into Pouliot's role and expect to get the same results.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

I'm guessing that PC did not want to go through another year of watching Ryder float through the regular season. I also believe that he will make an attempt to trade for him before the deadline. Here is a guy who can turn it on in the playoffs and knows the julien system. A perfect fit.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveTheBruins. Show LoveTheBruins's posts

Ryder brought his A game in the playoffs and scored a lot of big goals for the Bruins during said playoff runs.  That being said, he's having a typical Ryder regular season, should have his 20-25 goals.   

He wasn't worth the price tag though and didn't show up oh so many nights in the regular season

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

So 18 g 17 A and 38 points in 52 games is going to result in 20-25 goals?

I'm betting he gets closer to 30. I bet he gets better than 45 points. I wouldn't mind having that point line in our lineup.

Compare
    18g 17a 38 points.

To:

8g 9a 17 points.

Which would you rather have right now?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krispy73. Show Krispy73's posts

Everyone knows my answer to that one. ;)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

So 18 g 17 A and 38 points in 52 games is going to result in 20-25 goals? I'm betting he gets closer to 30. I bet he gets better than 45 points. I wouldn't mind having that point line in our lineup. Compare 18g 17a 38 points. To: 8g 9a 17 points. Which would you rather have right now?
    Posted by lambda13

Lam, is it worth paying 3.5 times as much for twice the production?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Depends. On our team? We can afford it, so its not a big deal.

You also have to bear in mind that contracts don't really work like that. A player that puts up 20 points a year may have a contract thats eualy or close to someone that puts up 40.

Would I rather have Ryder than Pouliot? Can't really say, but based off points totals and available cap space yes. Who knows how they would have performed were the teams to be swapped. Points could be skewed for either of them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Depends. On our team? We can afford it, so its not a big deal. You also have to bear in mind that contracts don't really work like that. A player that puts up 20 points a year may have a contract thats eualy or close to someone that puts up 40. Would I rather have Ryder than Pouliot? Can't really say, but based off points totals and available cap space yes. Who knows how they would have performed were the teams to be swapped. Points could be skewed for either of them.
    Posted by lambda13

Believe me, I wasn't saying I prefer Pouliot. I was just throwing the question out there.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

No worries, I didn't think you were. I've been around a bit, you're definitely smarter than that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

No worries, I didn't think you were. I've been around a bit, you're definitely smarter than that.
    Posted by lambda13

Replacing Pouliot is the best move PC could make right now. He's done OK at best. He should be battling as the 13th forward ideally though.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

yikes all this ex- canadien talk.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I think we have to wait & see what Pouliet brings for the rest of the season & play-offs. CJ brought Ryder around to play pretty consistent in the play-offs. Let's not forget that Ryder was benched in the 08' play-offs by Carboneau. He came to Boston & played well. Maybe CJ can bring around Pouliet. I'm not saying the B's shouldn't make a move. They need to add depth for both front & back ends. In all honesty. I would love to see PC give 4 1st round picks to bring Suter in. I think Chara is playing with an injury & come play-offs he's not going to be as effective. The B's have NOBODY to take Chara's place. I don't want any of our top 6 to go, nor Peverly. So, PC doesn't have a hope in heck on getting a Suter. But, I just think you need to stay fairly healthy for a deep play-off run. If your #1 d-man is down, or not at a 100% to begin with. You're already in a heap of trouble.

Sections
Shortcuts